Legend Of Dragoon Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Dragoon II ❯ The Winding Path ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
___________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________
Chapter 5) The winding path

The first path that the three travelers found after leaving the desert took them a few miles into the forest. Trees towered over the path, about thirty or thirty-five feet high, making it nearly dark within, except for a narrow crack, just above the paths. The fir trees surrounding them were very old, but none seemed to be dead. They were hardy trees, strong enough to withstand a blizzard. Originally, the path they first took went due east, but it took a turn southward, so they needed to find the first path that would take them more north. They found another path that took them east again, later finding a north-east path, although it seemed a little odd. That path led them straight for about an hour, but it soon began to curve, back and forth. Al remarked, "I should find the dumbass who made this trail and kick him so hard that his family feels it, too! What, was his steed blind?"

Since they had been from the warm desert oasis area, the cold really got to them. Al was cold, but tried not to show it, and Rashe'm didn't even seem to notice that the climate had changed. Orrin looked at him and thought, "Man, he's gotta be crazy, or something." even though he knew him better than that. The cold became so taxing, that they had to stop for a while, to regain their strength. Al had thought ahead and packed three jackets, not completely warming, but enough to get the job done in the cold. He distributed them as they sat around a small fire, huddling close so that the wind didn't make it die. After a good half hour, the three were ready to continue on their path. While walking again, Rashe'm spoke up, the first time since they entered the forest. "Where are all the animals? I noticed some spiders, squirrels and such on the paths before, but as soon as this one started curving, there weren't any."

Orrin, who hadn't taken notice of the animals, didn't feel too surprised, but Al took it as a big shock. "If there aren't any animals in an area, that's not good. Not good at all." he said, still walking. The situation became more ominous when Al spotted an opening in the left side trees of the path. Not waiting to find out, he ran, his jacket flapping with each step. Frantic, he turned around, saying, "Okay, the situation has become more dire. We need to find a divergence off of this path, or who knows what may become of us. Orrin still didn't understand what the fuss was about. "Okay, so there's no animals here, and that's good, right? And someone cleared trees away without making a path. What's so wrong with....." but he never finished that thought. He looked at the place where Al saw the cleared area, and he froze with fear. Trees had been knocked down or bent, making the "unfinished path", as Orrin thought it at first, like a cylindrical object had stormed through it. Rashe'm took out his sword, and Al his axe, when the ground seemed to begin to thunder. Al turned to the other two shouting, "RUN, NOW!" and both he and Rashe'm took off, Orrin stuck in place. When Rashe'm realized that they were one short, he ran back to Orrin, smacked him upside the head, and said, "Are you dense, or what? He said run, now RUN!" Coming back to his senses, Orrin looked around, and then ran without further hesitation.

Orrin and Rashe'm finally caught back up with Al, but nothing was said about the lag. Orrin was glad about that, but he was still focusing on running away from whatever seemed to be coming. The path finally straightened out again, passing another path of destroyed trees like before, except on the right. Further up, what Al had been waiting for finally came, there was a left turn as the path continued straight. Al turned back to tell the others, "Turn left, turn left!" at the same time seeing what pursued them. All he could see was something that resembled a snake head, since it was from the front, but it was eight feet high. Cursing, Al turned back around in time to make the left turn. Lucky for them, the snake continued on the straight path, as if uninterested. The three stopped, huffing and wheezing as they watched the rest of the snake pass by. All in all, Rashe'm said it had to be at least sixty feet, and that the snake was why there were no animals around. Either they had been smart enough to stay away, or too dumb to realize something was wrong before they became lunch. Relief swept over them, knowing that the danger had passed, for now.

They followed the path for about an hour, and then it turned eastward, as told by Al. Orrin asked, "Well, how do you know that? I thought you didn't have a compass with you." Al laughed heartily and replied, "That's no reason to get cheeky. Look at the trees. See that moss?" Orrin looked at the trees on the right he was passing, the moss grew towards the path, and on the left, it grew away. Al continued, "Moss grows on the north side of trees. It's a good tip if you get lost where trees are near." Al always seemed to be full of good tips, Orrin even thought he could write a book about tips, that is, if Al knew how to read and write. He wasn't sure, he never asked. He was about to, but something on the path caught his attention. Except, it wasn't really what was on the path, it was what wasn't on it.

There, the three stopped on the path, the right side overlooking on a cliff. It was something so foreign to Orrin, he had to stop and stare in amazement. There was enough clearing to see the sky and to say that night was coming rapidly. Upset about not meeting the goal, Al said, "Okay, we're gonna set up camp, we'll just have to get out of here tomorrow. I brought some water in a skin, which was supposed to be when we got out of here, but we'll just have to use it now for dinner." Orrin was glad for dinner, he was always famished by the end of the day. Al continued, "It won't be hard to find some kindling wood. We'll have to be able to find enough to last all night to scare away predators." Thus, the ritual of camp occurred, and after they finished with dinner, Al and Orrin went to sleep, Rashe'm was going to keep an eye out for anything that meant harm, like the snake.