Legend Of Dragoon Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Dragoon II ❯ Day Two in the Forest ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
___________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________
Chapter 6) Day two in the forest

Morning came, and all were alive. The forest wasn't harsh enough to kill the three travelers while they slept. They had not seen the snake from yesterday, or even heard its tremors. It seemed to have forgotten about them. This was a good thing. The trio awoke around dawn, and after packing up, they set off again for Deningrad. Al was sure they were near, because the forest was part of the adventure of the "Second Dragon Campaign". The thought of reaching Deningrad actually saddened Orrin. He wouldn't have much more time with his friends, and it would be hard for him to part with the precious stones, still in his pocket. He felt obliged to protect them, as if they were a part of him in a way. During his guard duty the previous night, when he was sure Rashe'm was asleep, he tried again to see if they would shine for him. Once again, they remained energyless, he couldn't even feel their power.

The trees on the trail seemed to be thinning, and the trail became wider. Soon, there was enough space to see much of the sky, there were only a few trees around. The trail the three were on ended, but ran into another trail. Al advised that Deningrad was toward the left, since it was more nortward, and he also knew that the Wingly forest was to the right. Also to the left, the was another path leading off. A sign stood in front of it with a guard station near that. Al read the sign as they neared it. "Danger, ferocious creatures. Do not enter. Mountain of the Mortal Dragon ahead." This answered Orrin's question that Al could read. In the guard station, an armed knight stood to make sure no one even tried to get to the forbidden mountain. This made Orrin smile, they were almost there. He began to run, when he felt the sting of sadness of journey's end, making him slow down. On slowing, he forgot to look where he was going, and he tripped over an uprooted tree root. He suddenly felt in shock, not from the fall, no, but what he heard and saw after the fall. When he heard the clink of something polished falling, and then rolling on the dirt. He thought, "Oh, no! That better not be....." but it was. The red stone fell out of his pocket, and began rolling to Rashe'm, who had stopped when Orrin fell. Al immediately hid his face in his hands, in embarrassment.

Rashe'm bent down to pick up the polished stone which lay before him by his feet. He took it in his hand, but then began rolling it in his palm. He asked Orrin, "Say, what's this snazzy little thing here?" Orrin almost couldn't answer, but then a lie came to him. "A stone, I found it near my home before we left. I thought it was pretty cool and I was going to show my aunt........" He forgot what he called his aunt. In order to avoid any awkwardness, he reworded his sentance to not say the fake aunt's name. Re-examining the stone, Rashe'm finally said, "Your aunt Carroll is a lucky woman. And, I think this belongs to you." He started to hand over the stone. At the same time, Al was turning around, ready to head off again. Orrin looked from Al to Rashe'm, when in a flash, a blink of an eye, he saw something he couldn't believe. Rashe'm suddenly had fantastic red armor on. Intricate details displayed as if much work had been done on it. A green gem rested on the crest of the armor, and a red headband appeared on Rashe'm's head as well, with many more tiny green orbs, varying in size. To top the unbelievableness of the situation, he saw a pair of wings on Rashe'm's back, but the feathers, he supposed, weren't normal. They were made of light. But all of it happened in a flash, so Orrin didn't have time to ask himself if what he saw was real or not.

Rashe'm turned around as if nothing had happened. It made Orrin believe that he was just seeing things. He was so confused, he forgot to stand up, he just remained there, laying on the ground with the stone in his hand. Rashe'm called back, "Hurry up, squirt! Your aunt would hate my guts if she didn't get to see her nephew because he layed on the path like easy prey!" Recollecting himself, he got on his feet. After brushing off his green shirt again, he looked up, only to see the knight at the guard station act very strangely. Apparently, he had seen something frightening, because he threw down his weapon, his shield and his armor, and ran towards the Mountain of the Mortal Dragon. Orrin thought "It must take alot to scare a knight." but he suddenly felt the ground tremor again, which was followed with thundering. He still hadn't moved from his spot, but he saw Rashe'm and Al running back towards where he was. They had seen it too, the snake was back, hungry this time.

Al finally got back to where Orrin was, and he shouted over the thundering, "That damn snake is back! We're so close to Deningrad, we're just gonna have to stand our ground here!" Within moments, the snake came into full view, rearing its head. Al was right, there was no running from it this time, it was kill or be killed, survival of the fittest. Rashe'm once again brandished his sword, Al with his axe as well. Orrin took out his spear, even though he didn't think it would be much use in this situation. All three were armed, and the snake kept its menacing head reared, not sure which to attack first. It flicked its tongue into the air, and then hissed. Orrin was able to see its four vicious fangs. He wasn't sure if there was venom, but he reasoned that if anyone gets attacked by that thing, it wouldn't die of the poisoning, it would die of mutilation, bloodloss, or digestion.

Everything seemed to stand still, even the birds fleeing the scene. Before Orrin could blink, the snake had picked its target, HIM! Everything remained slow, his movement, the movement of Rashe'm and Al going to attack, and the movement of the snake. Instinctively, he rolled to the side, avoiding the strike, but the snake kept going, banging its head into a tree. It was dazed, and Rashe'm took advantage of it. He jumped and slashed at the snake's neck. But the snake's skin was so thick, the sword didn't even leave a scratch. Rashe'm started to say, "Oh, fu...." but the snake snapped out of its daze, and swung its head like a club at his body. Orrin watched as Rashe'm flew through the air, and into a tree. Two blood curling thuds were heard, once as Rashe'm hit the tree, and then another as he hit the ground ten feet below. If it weren't for his armor, he probably would have had some broken bones, but two things were for sure, he had lost conscience and he would be very, very "sore in the morning".

Orrin, outraged that the snake had hurt his friend, jumped at the great beast. Since the snake was still recoiling from the blow it delivered, it had no time to react to its attacker. Orrin stuck his spear in the snake's left eye. The snake hissed and let out a ear breaking howl, it was in a lot of pain. Al took advantage then as the beast swung its head near the ground in pain. He leapt with his mini-axe in front of him, about to strike the other eye. If the beast was blind, there would be no reason to fight. But the snake began ascending its head, so Al missed, slicing into its face, towards the mouth. The snake responded with an even louder howl. It finally opened its one good eye, since the other was gushing with blood, and found the target which had attacked it with the axe. Orrin saw this, and was expecting the snake to attack him, since he destroyed its eye into a bloody mess. When he saw it come after Al, he ran towards his friend. Before Orrin could get there, a loud clang echoed in the forest. Al had blocked the snake's fang with his axe. He held it as long as he could, but then a crack appeared in the axe. Orrin still came charging towards Al, but he redirected to the snake. With a swift uppercut, he jammed his spear through the snake's mouth. Pain reflexes made the top of the snake's mouth close, thus making the spear come out the top of its mouth. It was shut tight, but the snake continued to struggle. In the struggle, the bottom handle of the spear broke off, as well as the top, meaning the only way Orrin could get the rest of his spear back was if the snake opened its mouth, which he didn't want.

The snake continued struggling, but it became slower from blood loss. After almost two minutes, the snake finally lay on the ground, motionless. Al and Orrin remained still incase the monster rose again, but it didn't. The soul had left the body, but the two couldn't tell, so they remained. When they were sure it was dead, they remembered about Rashe'm, hoping that he wasn't. Climbing a small cliff, Al got to the top, then helped Orrin up. A few yards away lay their friend, bloody and bruised. They found him with his black hair matted with blood. They also found his sword nearby, cracked in half by the force of the blow. Orrin sat by Rashe'm's side, nearly at tears. Al at the time was trying to take off the jacket and the armor plates, to make it easier for Rashe'm to breathe. After getting the chestplate off, Al checked for a heartbeat. As soon as he touched Rashe'm's chest, Rashe'm jerked spasmodically, twitching every few seconds. There was a very sensitive bruise on his chest.

Al spoke up, "We need to get him to Deningrad as soon as possible. We have to leave now, and we can't take anything with us. All of our weapons are bust, and he needs medical attention now." They tried to lift him, but the battle left Orrin without enough stamina. "Damn!" Al shouted, repeating it many times. Orrin had an idea during Al's curse rant. He took off his jacket, and told Al, "Give me your jacket too. Also, get any rope you have, we'll have to drag him to Deningrad. We'll tie the two jackets together so he can fit, and on the path to Deningrad, we'll have to take turns." Al would have smiled and laughed heartily that Orrin had come up with such a good plan, but now wasn't time for laughter and congratulations. A friend's life was at stake. He ran to where he dropped the packs, retrieving the rope. Orrin found the part of Rashe'm's sword with the hilt, and he cut two horizontal slices in his jacket, as well as Al's. His jacket had the slices at the top and Al's at the bottom, Al's jacket would be better for the majority of Rashe'm's body. Al returned with the rope, and Orrin sliced the rope into three, two to tie the jackets, and one to make a large handle.

Together, after the carrier was finished, Al and Orrin put Rashe'm on the carrier, after putting it on the ground below. Al took the first turn of dragging Rashe'm. If he had been awake, Rashe'm would have been moaning and groaning. Soon, about an hour before midday, the three left the forest running towards Deningrad, one unconscious and bleeding.