Legend Of Dragoon Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Dragoon II ❯ Plots and Schemes ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
___________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________
Chapter 10) Plots and schemes

Out in Mille Seseau, towards the forest, a secret convention was being held. Some ten thousand people, wearing similar white robes and sashes around their necks, on each end a figure resembling an "S". The people at the convention were eager with a filling anticipation, restless to hear a speaker who was ready to address the masses. In front of the large crowd was a makeshift platform, as if a stage of a sort. A tall, somewhat humbled looking man approached the platform, being greeted by restless cheers of the group. As soon as he reached the center of the platform, he raised both arms out to the audience, but still over his head, and slowly lowered them, to quell the exhuberant spectators.

It was about two hours until midnight. Since it was so dark, and the forest casted so many shadows, many lamps had been lit in a circle around the waiting people. The light was dim, but sight in the dim light wasn't much of a problem. The people who waited for the man in front of them to speak began to tremble with excitement. A jubilous tension was building, most likely to be set off during the man's speech. The man on the platform, Erving Raerse, with white hair, a deep set face, and dressed in the same cloak as the crowd, but had a different color sash, cleared his throat, just as he was about to speak. Finally ready, he began. "WELCOME!, fellow Soanites." booming "welcome". He continued to address the Soanites, "I am gladdened to see such a healthy number of those faithful to our great Lord here to fulfill his will." After this statement, the tension amassing in the crowd exploded. Shouts and cheers were echoed across the great forest, leaving a din when the man on the podium settled the crowd down.

When it was quiet again, Erving continued once more, "You all know why we are here tonight. Tonight, we will finally set forth our efforts to complete the great will of Soa. With our persistance, loyalty, and divine gifts he has conferred on bestowing us, the world will be blessed once again with the 'Moon Child'. The Dragoons, who stopped the great will in the past, will not be a bother, nor any other force that attempts to stop us. NOTHING, I repeat, nothing will stand in our way! Tonight of all nights, the people of Deningrad will be too much in stupor from anticipating the rejoicing the defeat of our precious Moon Child. Tonight, as the year becomes the 1080th after the defeat of the great will, we will make our strike, and we will be known and feared!" Another outburst rang from the crowd, but was quickly settled down again by the man, Erving. But, this time, as Erving was ready to speak, a man from the crowd confronted him with a question. "Are you sure nothing can stop us? I've heard rumors that something or things have slewn the basilisk that Soa brought to us. If the basilisk could be defeated, how can you say that we can't be stopped?" Erving chuckled. He thought, "So, the beast has been killed. I'm not surprised, it didn't help the cause. But, I'd better say something to not dishearten the men." Out loud, he spoke to the man with the question. "Didn't your mother tell you not to believe rumors?" The whole crowd laughed, and the man with the question seemed to slink into the darkness while standing in his place.

Erving continued as if he hadn't been confronted with the news of the basilisk. "Tonight, Soa is sending us another of his most powerful creations, to help us in our attack. Suit up, men, we're moving out NOW!" This was greeted with a near deafening cheer as Erving went to exit off the platform. When he stopped and noticed that the men hadn't budged, he gave a sharp, almost sinister look at the crowd, who immediatly stopped cheering and dispersed to retrieve their destructive supplies. Erving smiled when the crowd dispersed, almost chuckling to himself. He walked among some of the men, who, while packing their things, whispered among each other things about him, such as, "The Master is such an inspiration. I know that we can't lose!" and "I heard that the Master can do magic, like destroy cities with large balls of flame." That was right, he was known as "the Master" among the men, but many of the men quieted as Erving passed.

Outside the forest, many of the men stood out with large sacks, animals for carrying larger sacks, and even catapults. More men were still coming out of the forest, but the flow started to ebb, meaning most of them were out. Erving once again stood in front of the crowd. When the flow of Soanites fully ebbed from the forest, Erving shouted to the men, "ONWARD, to VICTORY!" The men began their march to the capital, Deningrad. It was a many miled march, but they arrived just outside the boundries of the city without arising suspicion. When they came to the place that they were to wait for the signal to attack, they met the creature that was to help in their cause. It was tall, very tall. The only thing that could be seen of it in such darkness were its legs, which were white-gray long and ended in clubbed feet. Erving turned to the men, who seemed ready to run, and said, "Do not fear, this is the creation of Soa. I shall only send it into the city after the plundering, and when all of you are out an hour later, it will finish off whatever is left. Make sure you are out before an hour is up, because if not, you shall serve the same fate as the non-believers, sinners, and ne'er-do-wells." When he saw that the group had settled some, but remained mostly tense, he said, "Alright. I guess it's time to introduce the creation of Soa. Meet...." he paused, but then continued, "the Virage!"