Legend Of Dragoon Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Dragoon II ❯ The Burning of Deningrad ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
___________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________
Chapter 11) The burning of Deningrad

Orrin sat in his bed, the one he was assigned in the guest bedroom, looking at the heavily bandaged Rashe'm in the dark room. Rashe'm still hadn't woken up, and Orrin began wondering if he ever was going to wake up. He didn't know, but the constant thoughts of worry kept him awake, even as midnight and the new year approached. The dinner he had eaten a few hours ago had definitely filled him up, more so than the food he had eaten on his trip to Deningrad. That was the only comfort that Orrin could feel at the moment. He looked at the bed next to him, on the opposite side from Rashe'm, and he saw Al sleeping. Still unable to sleep, Orrin got out of his bed and began to take a self tour of the castle.

Hallways led to passages, passages to rooms, and rooms to more hallways. Even though the castle was mainly one floor, it seemed confusing enough to someone who hadn't been there before. Orrin lost his bearings in the nearly dark corridors of the castle, but quickly regained them. The hallway he was in eventually led him to the main foyer, where all of the magnificent statues resided. He looked at each one, back and forth, and realized how much more astounding they looked at night. He came close enough to see that there was something engraved on the statues' fronts. He went to the first one on the left and it read, "First Sacred Sister, Miranda. Director of the military, and the White-silver Dragoon during the Second Dragon Campaign." Orrin immediatly looked towards the hand of the statue. He hadn't noticed it before, but the statue seemed to be holding something in its hand. A closed hand held something in its fist, from where Orrin was, it couldn't be seen. He stood there, staring at the statue in wonder of what might be in the hand. He hadn't much time to consider it because he soon heard footsteps coming. He couldn't determine where because of echo, but he soon learned that the Queen was standing right behind him, outfitted in her many coats.

"Even after your long journey, you can't sleep?" the Queen asked Orrin. When he nodded, she replied, "I guess I can't blame you, you're worried for your friend." When Orrin's gaze returned to the statue's hand, the Queen said, "If you want, I can try to ease some of your tensions with some of the vast history contained by these statues." She walked towards the center of the ring, in front of the statue in the middle. She began to speak, "This is the statue of the Queen Theresa, as she was during the Second Campaign. She was a great leader, loved her country, who loved her back. Because she had no children, she took in four girls, who were named the "Sacred Sisters" of Mille Seseau. They had no homes, no family, nowhere to go." She then walked to the statue farthest to the right. "This is the Fourth Sacred Sister, Setie. Not much could really be accounted of her, but it's true that she cared deeply for her older "sisters", as she was the youngest. No matter where she went, she would show nothing but kindness." She walked to the statue next to Setie. "This is the Third Sacred Sister, Wink. She had a very loving nature, never wanted to see anyone be hurt. Once, she even risked her life to save the silver-haired Lloyd, one of the winglies assosciated with the Second Campaign." Then, crossing the circle to the statue next to the Queen Theresa, she began, "The Second Sacred Sister, Luanna. She was the most amazing of the group. She had the ability to see into people's hearts, read their minds, and sense future occurrances. Ironically, she was blind. It was a tragic accident. She lived in the village of Neet, a historic relic of a town, some miles away from here, and she happened to be blinded during the attack of the Black Savior. At that time, the Savior was considered a Monster, for killing the Moon Child ever 108 years, but the world has learned that it was right in doing that. But, back to Luanna, she lost her mother in the fire, being blinded by the soot. She was the one that Setie cared for the most, almost like an assisstant."

The Queen then moved back to where they had started, in front of the statue of Miranda. "This is the First Sacred Sister, Miranda. She was always a bit hasty and testy, which was kind of a good thing, since she led the country's army. Her fate became twined with the heroes of the Second Campaign when the Silver-white Dragoon Spirit chose her. It was around the same time as the Divine Dragon's attack on Deningrad. Her two major accomplishments with the heroes were defeating the Divine Dragon and the God of Destruction. There was much celebration on those days." When the Queen stopped talking and started to gaze at the statue, Orrin asked, "Do you think that the Dragoon Spirit is in the hand of the statue?" The question startled her, but she was in no way offended. She paused for a moment, then said, "I'm not quite sure. We don't have anything to use to get up that high to see if it is there. And it would be a shame to destroy a part of the statue to get it out. Besides, the Dragoon Spirit was probably buried with her. All of the Sisters were buried with their most prized possesion." Orrin reflected on the thought of the object in Miranda's hand, but he suddenly wanted to ask another question, "Did it have any special powers of its own, aside from transforming the Dragoons?" The Queen stood there thinking, apparently searching her memory banks, "I do recall hearing that the Silver-white Dragoon Spirit had a healing property." This got Orrin excited, for he would be able to heal Rashe'm using it. He was quickly shot down when the Queen continued, "But the only way for that to activate is to be in the presence of another Dragoon, so it's pretty much useless to us."

Saddened by the fact that he couldn't help Rashe'm after all, Orrin yawned heartily. "I guess you are tired after all." the Queen said. Finishing his yawn, Orrin nodded. The Queen turned to go up the stairs to her own room as Orrin walked towards his, but he came to a stop, turned to the Queen and said, "Thank you." The Queen stopped as well, and she politely asked, "Excuse me? For what?" It took a few seconds for Orrin to come up with why he said what he did. "I guess, for being so nice. For telling me all of the history of the country that you did. I don't really know what I'm trying to say, but 'Thank you' is the best thing that fits." The Queen grew a great big smile across her face, and said, "You're welco......" She was cut off.
~~~~~~~~
In the city, a hail of fireballs came from the sky, hitting many places and residential homes, making them catch fire. Many ran out of houses escaping the fire, only to be met by the malicious intents of the Soanites. It was midnight, the attack had begun. As more people ran out of the city, the Soanites ran in, looting and stealing valuables in their cause. What was occurring to the city of Deningrad wasn't the worst half of what was to happen. It would only be an hour before a creature of great destruction would be entering the city.