Legend Of Dragoon Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Dragoon II ❯ An Enemy, or a Friend? ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
___________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________
Chapter 14) An enemy, or a friend?

Rashe'm flew in for his attacks, trying to get the Virage out of the city, setting up for its demise. Orrin grew worried when he heard the Virage making another blast in the city. It was really hard waiting, the cold sunk in deeper, since he didn't have anything to really focus on, and he began to feel the weariness of sleep start to come. He was fighting off sleep, but then something caught Orrin's attention. He couldn't see all that well in the night sky, but he thought he saw a group of the robed men running away from the city, whether ordered to or not, Orrin couldn't tell. He didn't have much time to think about it, because he saw that Rashe'm had driven the Virage near to the edge of town. He could see it just above the rooftops, being pushed back. "Well, that's one part done. Now we just need the knights." he thought.

Within ten minutes, the Virage had been fully driven back, out of the city. At the same time, Shel arrived with the rest of the knights, greeting the beast with a volley of flaming arrows. They were shooting at its arms mostly, but some attempted at its legs, to prevent it from forcing its way back into the city. Rashe'm came hurrying back, a little exhausted. He reached Orrin saying, "Okay, now we just need to get you to the Virage. It'll be down for the count." Orrin began to shake off weariness, replacing it with anticipation, he was going to be able to fly again. Rashe'm held onto Orrin a little differently this time. He put his right hand underneath Orrin's feet, to be able to launch him quickly, and his left arm across Orrin's chest, to keep him from falling.

Rashe'm launched off from the ground, kicking hard to get airborne with the extra weight. He flew over the city, directly opposite from the Virage at a distance, so that it wouldn't figure out their plan right away. Rashe'm asked Orrin, "Are you ready for this?!" Orrin quickly replied, "Ready as I'll ever be!" A quick smirk grew across Rashe'm's face, though Orrin couldn't see it. Rashe'm shouted, "Hold on to your lunch, we're going in!!" just before launching himself and Orrin towards the Virage. The knights on the ground were still busy shooting at the Virage, trying to keep it distracted and dodging any attacks that it tried. Rashe'm and Orrin began speeding up at the monster, with some distance still between, going faster and faster. A hundred yards, ninety, seventy-five, fifty, still accelerating. Rashe'm finally put his left hand under Orrin's feet, and with a great thrust, heaved and launched the projectile Orrin at about forty yards away, spear out in front of him. Orrin remained coming ever closer, meanwhile, he thought, "This is it, its...." Impact, the spear slid right through the center eye like a hot knife through butter.

Upon impact, Orrin finished the thought, ".....done for!" At the same moment as Orrin finished his thought, the Virage let out a terrible shriek, almost ear piercing. Orrin fought not to be subdued by the shriek, since he required both of his hands to hold onto the spear, or else he'd fall forty feet. He began to wonder if the plan had actually worked, but then he felt the monster falling. In moments, he was able to put his feet on the Virage, to stand up and relax his arms. He had been totally unaware that the Virage's arms were flailing, trying to get at its face, but Rashe'm had made sure that Orrin didn't get hit off, parrying the thing's hands. Down, down farther the Virage fell, when it was almost parallel to the ground, but then Orrin noticed the the eye which he had pierced began to glow again. It was going to launch one more attack before it went down. Reacting quickly, Orrin pulled at his spear, fearing that it wouldn't come out because it wouldn't budge. Rashe'm noticed the Virage's attack as well, coming down to Orrin. He landed near Orrin, then pulling out the spear like it was nothing. Grabbing Orrin around the middle, he took off again, landing on the ground near the knights.

BOOOOOOOOOMMM!!!!! The Virage's fall shook the earth beneath everyone's feet. Even after the fall, the Virage finished charging its beam and fired into the air, somehow seeming to make the air denser as well. The spectators on the ground watched the beam as it traveled skyward until it faded into the night sky. Silence grew around the group of knights, then some of them started cheering. They had won, beaten a Virage, saved the remainder of Deningrad. But celebration had come too soon. The Virage began to shift, trying to raise itself back up onto its feet, and the men grew quiet as they saw this. All would have seemed a lost cause, but out of nowhere, a giant fireball came down on the Virage, igniting its entire body. An acrid smell began to be apparent as black smoke drifted up from the body, and the Virage screamed in pain the entire time. Since the men were a distance away, the screams didn't affect them as much. The whole group seemed to turn all at the same time to see where the fireball had originated. A man in a robe stood with his palm smoking, then slowly lowered it. He turned around mumbling, heading off to where the rest of the robed Soanites had exited, but unknown by the knights, the man was saying, "Blasted thing, can't even stand up to ONE Dragoon."

In a flash of light, Rashe'm returned to his normal self, only he was holding the Red-eye Dragoon spirit, which began to hover an inch above his hand. Rashe'm looked at it curiously, then said, "You know what, I think I could get used to this thing." The Dragoon spirit immediatly fell back into his hand, and then he pocketed it. The knights began to talk amongst themselves on a job well done when Orrin turned to Rashe'm, embracing him in a giant hug, wrapping his arms around Rashe'm's torso. A little shocked by the embrace, Rashe'm patted Orrin's head, then said, "Okay, squirt, now you're embarassing me." Orrin let go, saying, "I'm just glad you're okay." Rashe'm's face grew red, then he said jokingly as he brought his right hand up to rub the back of his head, "Me, be okay? Why wouldn't I be okay? Me, Rashe'm, of all....." He trailed off as his right hand felt something almost alien to his body. He had brushed against his right ear, beginning to be confused as to wondering why it was there, since it had been cut off a long time before.

He looked to Orrin for an answer, but the first thing Orrin could think of, he told Rashe'm, "Al told me that there was a white stone in your place when you came out of the castle. I think it was the White Dragoon spirit, which has healing properties." Rashe'm took the answer gratefully, embracing the fast that he was whole again. He would have checked his childhood scars as well, but he thought that would be better for another time. Now, he wanted to go back to the castle and sleep, the Dragoon spirit had worn him out. As both he and Orrin left to leave, the knights followed as well. Orrin looked over at the Virage when it let out a dying screech. He saw that the creature's body began disappearing, like it was dissintegrating. His gaze returned forward as they walked back towards the city. It would be awhile before they made it back to the castle, and Rashe'm said to Orrin, "We should see how Al's holding up. I'm sure he's had a lot of fun and excitement." exaggerating the last three words. Orrin decided to bring up the robed man. "Hey, Rashe'm, those guys in the robes that attacked and fled the city, were they the Soanites I had heard about?" When Rashe'm nodded, Orrin continued, "Well, the guy that finished off the Virage, if he was a Soanite too, wouldn't that mean he helped us by getting rid of it?" Rashe'm took a moment, then replied, "I guess it would." Finally, Orrin brought up the burning question, "Then, who's side is he on?"