Legend Of Dragoon Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Dragoon II ❯ A Surprise for the Ages ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
___________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________
Chapter 13) A surprise for the ages

Orrin and Shel began to head back to the castle. Most of the knights had the same idea, but the rest tried to face off against the Virage, regretfully, they weren't much use in stopping it. Shel led Orrin, weaving through streets, crossing alleys, and dodging the sight of the monster that continued to destroy Deningrad with its lethal beam which it shot out of its eye. They had gotten quite close to the castle when they heard the front doors being broken off of their hinges. As they hurried to see what it was, a red blur flashed past them, making them slow to an eventual stop. Orrin turned around to look at the blur that had raced past. He recognized what he saw, since the blur had actually stopped in mid-air not far from where he and Shel had stopped.

The first thing that Orrin saw was the light, which eminated off of the figure at a great rate. The next things were its wings, not with regular feathers, but some sort of translucent material, almost like light. Then Orrin noticed the red armor. A sword seemed to be strapped to the armor, around the hip at an angle to make it easy to draw. He couldn't fully understand what was happening, he was in a trance of extreme fanticism. He found himself walking towards the thing, still hovering in the air, when it turned around, revealing Rashe'm's face.

As soon as Orrin saw Rashe'm, amazement and disbelief washed over him, as well as relief, as the flashback of the moment in the woods, when he saw the same mystical armor on Rashe'm, raced through his mind. In a way, he seemed to come back to his senses, enough to be able to form words, since his mouth had previously been hanging on his jaw, open. He continued on his way to Rashe'm and said, "Is that really you, Rashe'm?" Rashe'm nodded and told Orrin, "I don't know what's happening. The last thing I knew, we were fighting that snake, then I got my butt handed to me. Now here I am, FLYING, in a place that I don't know where I am." Orrin had put together in his head that this was the work of the Red-eye Dragoon Spirit, the one that Rashe'm had handed back to him in the forest. Orrin replied back, "Well, we made it to Deningrad. But right now, I think you need to use the power of the Dragoon to prevent this city's demise..." Orrin pointed at the Virage, "...from that."

Rashe'm asked Orrin quizzically, "Dragoon? That fairy tale?" Then as the Virage launched another light beam from its eye, Rashe'm said, "We'll finish this later." With a blink, Rashe'm was off, attacking the Virage. In the mean time, Al had come out of the castle, weilding his new axe, straight for where Orrin was, obviously wanting answers. He first came across the dazed Shel, whose eyes still remained where Rashe'm had just left. He snapped his fingers in front of Shel's face, with instant results. Shel shakenly pulled out of his trance. Al continued to Orrin, saying, "What the hell is going on, Orrin? One minute I was asleep, the next I'm wide awake and Rashe'm's gone! And there seems to be this THING..." pointing at the Virage, while Rashe'm continued his attack, "...shaking up the whole country! And where is Rashe'm, because he's gone, his sword's gone, and I found another one of those stones, except this one's white, in his place." Al had taken out the white polished stone from his pocket, showing it to Orrin. Orrin replied to Al, pointing at the red streak around the Virage, "Rashe'm's right there, fighting the Virage. The Red-eye Dragoon chose him, I guess. And put that stone in your pocket, right now, we have to focus on getting rid of this thing."

Al had nodded, confirming that he understood, when Rashe'm came back to the group of three; Al, Orrin, and Shel; speaking rapidly. "I don't know what to do. I'm definitely damaging it, but not much. I've tried doing something about its eye, but it keeps swatting at me. If you have any ideas, then now's a good time to say them." Al immediately rose a finger in the air, as if he had an idea, but he quickly put it down, having found the idea to be not very helpful. Orrin looked down at his spear, and it gave him an idea. He told Rashe'm, "My spear! First, you should try luring the Virage back to the edge of the city. Shel could get any remaining knights to create a distraction, like shooting arrows at it maybe, and then you pick me up, gather speed while charging at it, and throw me at its eye. All together, the force should let me pierce it pretty far." Al looked at Orrin, saying, "Are ya sure? That seems extremely dangerous." Rashe'm replied instead, "Come on, don't you know it's the crazy ideas that work. Besides, what's more dangerous, a one time shot at stopping this thing, or just letting it keep demolish this city? Unless you have a better idea?"

Orrin looked to Shel, "This means we'll need the knights help, all of them if we can. Do you think you can get them to come?" Shel replied, "I'll try my best." After his statement, he was off. Orrin then looked to Al, "Is there anything you can think of that'll help?" Al shame-facedly said, "I can't come up with anything better than yer plan to kill that thing..." then brightening up, "..but I think I'll try to help any survivors that are trapped in their homes." Orrin nodded, and Al stormed off towards the nearest house that was on fire. Orrin then looked to Rashe'm, "Ready to do this?" Wittily, Rashe'm replied, "I'm flying, wearing weird armor, and did I mention I was FLYING? Of course I'm ready!"

Rashe'm took Orrin up in his arms, having Orrin put his arms around his neck, and then using his left arm as a sort of seat, sat Orrin on it. He wrapped the rest of his arm around the rest of Orrin's legs, for better grip. Before he took off, he told Orrin, "I'd hang on extremely tight, if I were you. But then again, if I were you, I wouldn't look wickedly awesome right now." Orrin tightened his grip with his right arm, which was around Rashe'm's neck, and he tightened the grip on his lance. As Rashe'm took off, he flew fast, very fast. He had almost lost grip and fallen off, but he tightened his grip even more, so much that his arm began to hurt. He was going so fast, he couldn't really tell where he was going, but he could feel the experience of flight. It was amazing. Flying was a feeling that made Orrin feel as if he hadn't a care in the world, as if he were free and joyous. But when Rashe'm landed on the snow covered ground outside the city, the feelings vanished, replaced by worry and fear.

Rashe'm spoke to Orrin, saying, "I'm going to try and get it out of the city now. When it's out and the knights arrive, I'll come back and we'll get ready for the kill, ok?" Orrin nodded, watching as Rashe'm flew off again. At that moment, Orrin would have given anything to fly again. It was so peaceful, relaxing, wonderful, there was no one word to describe it. Now that Orrin was in place, he just had to wait the agonizing wait for Shel to come with the knights.