Legend Of Dragoon Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Dragoon II ❯ The Forest Revisited ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
___________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________
Chapter 16) The forest revisited

The trio set out to the forest the next day, after some resting up and getting enough supplies to last until they made it to Furni. The Queen reminded them that they could stay another day, but they refused, saying it would be better to get to the destination early. Plus, they were tired of the cold. The Queen offered to give them a ride, as far as the forest. After a moment of consideration, they agreed. A few minutes passed and a cart pulled up to the castle, being driven by a familiar face, Shel. As soon as the three filed into the cart, more cozy than the one on the ride to Deningrad, Shel set off.

Orrin, Al, and Rashe'm talked with Shel on the way to the forest. In this case, Rashe'm was really getting to meet Shel for the first time. After proper introductions, a conversation grew. Orrin started off, "Is it a coincidence that you, of all the knights at Deningrad, are the one to see us off at the forest?" Shel replied, "Actually, as soon as I heard about it, I jumped at the chance to see you off. Since bringing you to Deningrad, I kinda feel like we're friends." Orrin and Al shared the same feeling. As the cart drove on in the morning hours, the four talked, and if they lost interest in a topic, they'd throw out something random, starting the process all over again.

Soon, Shel pulled the cart up near the forest and the three passangers got out of it. After taking out their supplies, they waved farewell to Shel, who in turn waved back before setting off back to Deningrad. As soon as the fond farewell scene ended, the three turned their attentions to the forest, which lay ahead of them. They didn't fear it, like last time. They felt that they had proven themselves against the basilisk, and nothing could bring them down. Before taking the first step into the forest, Orrin suggested to Rashe'm, "Why don't you just go Dragoon and fly us to Furni?" Rashe'm laughed, though Orrin couldn't figure out why. When the laughter stopped, Rashe'm replied, "First of all, I don't know where Furni is. We'll have to follow the directions the Queen gave us to go. Second, it seems pointless. It's not very discreet, and we'd alarm alot of people. Third, how do you think I'm gonna travel all that way carrying both of you? I mean, I can pick YOU up fine, but how am I gonna go cross-country with Al?" Rashe'm laughed again while Al gave a dirty look at him. Orrin said, "Good point." which also recieved a glare from Al.

The three followed the path of the forest, leading the way to Furni, when they came to a familiar fork in the path, right where they had battled the giant snake. The body was gone now, probably due to the knights at the lookout post. When they looked over at the post, they saw that the guard had recognized them and started beckoning them. When they walked up to the post, the guard seemed a bit hysterical, almost awestruck, saying, "Oh, my gosh! It's you. I mean, it's REALLY you! The guys who defeated the basilisk! I can't believe this, I must be dreaming! Oh, I should get your autographs and....." He kept going on and on while the three exchanged glances of confusion. Rashe'm decided to go up to the knight and drop his fist onto the knight's head.

It seemed to work, the knight grew out of being hysterical. After sobering his senses, he said what he had wanted to say originally, "Thanks for that. I know you guys killed the basilisk and all, but there's a note here that says to stop you if you pass by. When the basilisk body was cleaned up, we found your stuff as well." This brought a smile to Al's and Orrin's faces. The knight disappeared to get the sacks of supplies, and it took a few minutes to retrieve all of it. When the sack of pots and pans was presented, Al took it with a fervor. The rest of the things, they said to keep it, that they wouldn't really need it, except for the bag of gold, which Orrin took resembling the fervor the Al had done with the kitchen supplies. After retrieving some of their things, they were off again, as the guard waved frantically.

The group went straight on the path, instead of taking the path from which they had come to the forest. Al reminded, "This is supposed to be where the winglies are, so keep an eye out for them, because we don't exactly know what they'll do." They continued down the path, which seemed to take surprising twists and turns, almost like a maze. As they all became frustated, mostly Al, they decided to stop for a quick lunch. It wouldn't do good to travel frustated. Al assigned the tasks and they all went off to accomplish them, Orrin looking for dry burnables, Rashe'm to find a source of water, and himself to set up the fire.

Rashe'm's task wasn't so easy, since there weren't many places with water in a forest. He did the only thing that he thought would help, he followed the paths where the trees and the shrubs grew thicker. Luckily, that plan succeeded. Rashe'm found a plentiful amount of water, but something seemed weird around where he was. Something felt unnatural, almost magical. He was about to check out a wall seemingly made of trees when he heard a sharp yelp. He could have sworn it sounded like Orrin, so he rushed to where the sound originated. As he followed the path, carrying a full pouch of water, he was surprised when he met up with Orrin. He said, "But, I thought that you......" then pointing in the direction that he was heading, "If you're here than what.......... Huh?" out of total confusion. Orrin replied, "I heard it to, and it sounded bad. There might be someone who needs help, so we need to hurry." Rashe'm nodded and they picked up the pace. They both stopped as they found a large group of men in a ring in a clearing of the forest. They were closing in on something, or things, but neither Orrin nor Rashe'm could tell from where they were. Slowly, they began to approach to see what was going on.