Legend Of Dragoon Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Dragoon II ❯ Sailor's Delight ( Chapter 34 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
___________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________
Chapter 34) Sailor's Delight

As soon as Al and Orrin were able to stand, Al went off to find the crewmen, tell them what happened, and get help putting the unconscious in a bed somewhere. Orrin waited with the the three on the floor. Rashe'm had passed out shortly after saying "Please don't". With nothing to do and no one to talk to, he looked out over the waters of the sea. They had calmed considerably, just like the sky. Shards of the setting sun were poking through clouds as well, revealing a brilliant red sky, from what he could see.

Not ten minutes later, Al came back with a few of the ship's crew, and they brought four stretchers. Orrin couldn't understand why there'd be four, but as one of the stretchers went to the crumpled crewman, he understood. He had forgotten about him. As the motionless bodies were collected, the crew headed back for the main structure of the ship, back to the cabins. Orrin followed them, walking next to one of the crew. The crewman tried to start small talk, "What a day, huh?" Orrin replied, "You don't know the half of it." Chuckling, the crewman said, "True. I guess you guys were the ones who actually saw what happened... At least tomorrow's going to be a beautiful day."

"What makes you say that?" asked Orrin. Replying, the crewman stated, "Red sky in morning, sailor take warning. Red sky at night, sailor's delight." Orrin had spent his life in the desert, so he had never heard anything like that before. "Is that from something?" he asked. "Perhaps...," said the crewman, "but I know it because it's a saying passed down to every sailor of the high seas. And in my time, it hasn't been wrong yet. So I stick to it." Orrin was actually pretty impressed by it. But he was still going to see for himself if the proverb held any truth.

Orrin had to replace his belongings in the smaller room with Al, because the bigger room was being used for the treatment of the other three. Because of the events that had recently taken place, dinner became delayed, so Orrin and Al had time to kill before the meal. Al layed on his bed and Orrin on what was Rashe'm's. He felt that it was too quiet in the room, so he asked Al, "Are they going to heal Derreck as well?" Nonemotively, Al said, "No. I told them that it was safer fer the crew if he remained unconscious. So, they're keepin' him on a drug induced coma until he can be delivered back ta the Wingly Forest.... I can't imagine how hard this is gonna be fer Liza..." Orrin turned his head from Al to the ceiling, "Yeah... me neither."

~~~~~

The next morning, Al and Orrin were woken up by Rashe'm barging into the room and shrieking like a madman. Once both were sitting up in their beds, Rashe'm stopped and smirked. "What'dya do that fer?" Al groggily questioned. "You two lazy bums need to get off your butts and go for a run with me." Al merely made a disgruntled face, "Screw yerself, I'm sleepin' in." And he promptly fell back asleep. Orrin, on the other hand, said, "I'm up... I might as well." Rashe'm beamed, "Atta boy!" and he jogged off to the end of the hall. Orrin laughed and dressed himself.

Once Orrin got outside, he looked to the sky, and it was just as the crewman had said, a beautiful morning. It was the most beautiful morning he'd ever seen. "I gotta see if he's got any more of those sayings... if I can find him again..." he thought to himself. Rashe'm came running by as Orrin gazed at the morning sky. "What took you so long, ya slowpoke?" Orrin replied, "I had to get dressed... unless you'd have rather seen me in my underwear..." Rashe'm said, "Touche!"

As the morning wore on, Orrin and Rashe'm made more and more laps around the deck of the ship. They'd been running long enough to need a break, so they sat against a wall. Rashe'm brought out a waterskin and took a drink, then offered it to Orrin. After Orrin took a few large gulps, he handed the waterskin back and said, "You know, after yesterday, I would have figured you would be still in bed right now." Rashe'm, after taking another swig, said, "Yeah... well, so did I. But even the ship doctor was baffled when I got up this morning." He pulled out the white stone, "I guess this did the trick... and speaking of which, I still haven't returned this, have I?" He handed it to Orrin, and he said, "Now you have." Orrin pocketed it with other two stones, the purple and blue one that he reclaimed after the fight. Since Liza was still asleep, he couldn't exactly give it back to her yet.

They ran for a half-hour more before returning to their rooms. To not disturb Liza and Derreck, the crew had opened another room for Rashe'm. When Orrin entered his room, Al was just waking up, again. "G'mornin' Orrin." Then, sarcastically, he added, "How was your run?" Orrin felt like returning the sarcasm, so he said, "It was nice. You should try it one of these days. It could do wonders for you." They both laughed at that. Al then said, "Well, almost time fer breakfast... Last night's meal was pretty good... but I bet I could do better." With another laugh, Al got up out of bed to get ready for the day.