Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Zelda and the Hero of Time ❯ The Great Deku Tree's Crisis ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1
The Great Deku Tree's Crisis
 
“Long has the Forest been a barrier to outsiders and a source of balance to the world, but against this new evil, even I am not strong enough. I think it is high time the boy without a fairy begins his journey…”
- The Great Deku Tree of Kokiri Forest
 
In a home carved out of a tall tree in Kokiri Forest - home to a race of child-like beings that never grow old - lives a boy named Link. He has golden hair, two locks hanging from his forehead and the rest short and slicked back, and deep blue eyes. He wore a green tunic with a hat to match and brown, leather boots. He was lying upon a bed carved from the trunk of a tree. He was asleep, as it was the middle of the night. He shivered and rolled over on his side, for he was having the same dream he had been having for a while now.
 
Link looked upon a great, stone wall. The middle, however, was made of solid wood with metal plating in the form of riveted bars going diagonally across the wood. On either side of this portion of the wall was a flaming torch.
It began to rain, and the flames of the torches smoldered and dowzed. Thunder boomed across the land. A great field with his home off in the distance. How he had reached this place alone, he did not know. Lightning periodically lit up the sky, accompanying the thunder.
Suddenly, the wooden portion of the wall lowered. A drawbridge. Galloping across it and past Link was a white horse carrying a small, golden-haired, blue-eyed girl with a white cloak covering most of her and a woman with white hair and grey eyes. The girl glanced back at Link for a moment with sorrowful eyes, then staired forward again as they disappeared over the horizon.
He then heard the sound of a halting horse behind him. He spun around. What he saw frightened him. What he saw was a midnight black horse with the most malevolent eyes he had ever seen on a beast of that sort. It was majestic, yet a dark and viscious air encircled it.
Sitting atop the horse was a tall, pale-skinned, evil man with slicked back, orange hair, cunning, yellow eyes, and a wicked grin. A large, crimson jewel clung to the center of his forehead. Link also noticed a dagger sheathed on the side of his shin. Dark, armored clothing covered his body, and a black cape hung loosely from his shoulders. He laughed wickedly. “Did you see white horse pass by here?” Link remained silent, shaking. “Which way did they go?” asked the wicked fiend.
“I…I don't know!” answered Link shakily.
“You lie!” spat the man. “Step aside, Boy, and let me pass!” Link remained where he stood. “Not going to move, eh? Then I shall do it for you!” He held out his outstretched hand. A white orb formed in it. A second later, and the orb shot at Link, erupting in a white flash as it collided with him. Link cried out in pain as he fell to the ground. The man cackled molevolently as he galloped off in the same direction the white horse had gone.
 
Link awoke with a start, sitting up straight. His face was pale, and beads of sweat rolled down his face. His hands were shaking violently, and his breathing was heavy. A few moments later, he lied back down, rolled over, and fell back asleep, shivering more.
 
Meanwhile, sometime later in the Deku Tree's Meadow, Navi the fairy - a bright, violet-colored orb of light with little wings - was meeting with the Great Deku Tree, watcher over the Kokiri people. “You called me, Sir?” asked Navi.
“Navi the fairy…thou hast grown weak… Cursed thou hast been… My end grows near…” said the Deku Tree. Navi was practically in tears, as the Deku Tree was her one and only friend. “A terrible evil threatens the survival of Hyrule. Thou fears Hyrule could be destroyed if `tis not stopped. Navi, I believe `tis time for the boy without a fairy to test thy courage,” The Deku Tree paused, then said, “Now go! Go to the boy and bring him to me,”
“I shall do my best!” said the fairy. She then headed off toward the village.
Upon entering the village - Kokiri Village to be exact - Navi began her search. “Should be easy enough, right?” she said to herself. “Oh, who am I kidding? I haven't a clue where this boy lives!” She then spotted a Kokiri girl with stunning, orange hair sitting on top of the Kokiri shop. “Hey you!” Navi called over to her.
“Hey, you're a lone fairy, aren't you?” she asked. “You should go visit Link. He's in desperate need of a fairy!”
“Speaking of Link, I'm looking for him. Do you know where he is?”
“Sadly, know I do not,” said the girl.
“Well, then could you give me a hint as to what he looks like so I could find him?”
“He's wearing green,”
Navi looked around. “You're all wearing green!”
“He's the one without a fairy,”
“I know that!”
“He lives in a tree,”
Navi looked around. They all lived in trees. “Thanks for the…uh…advice. I gotta go now. I'm kind of in a hurry!” Navi then flew off to continue her search. “She is such an idiot!” she said to herself, chuckling.
She would have asked Mido, the self-proclaimed boss of the Kokiri, but he had a reputation for being mean to fairies. She didn't want any trouble, so she decided against it. She then noticed a Kokiri boy with orange hair throwing rocks. “Hey, have you seen Link?” she asked him. “Im looking for him,”
“He sleeps in late these days,” replied the boy. “He's probably at his house at the top of a big tree. You can't miss it!”
“Ok, thanks!” said Navi. She quickly spotted Link's house and headed for it at full speed. She didn't see the fence, however, until it was too late.
CRASH!
She smashed into the hard fence with an “Ow!” She then went through a gap in the fence and entered Link's home.
“Wake up, Sleepyhead! The Deku Tree has summoned you!” Navi called to Link. However, he did not wake. “Hey, wake up! Can Hyrule depend upon such a lazy boy?” She said as she started to bounce around and make all kinds of noise.
Link sat up and stretched. He then turned to face Navi. “Hi, my name's Link,” he said, a smile forming on his face. “What's your name?”
“My name is Navi the fairy, and I have come to guid you,” she replied.
“Yahoo!! I finally have a fairy!!” Link shouted, tears of happiness streaming down his face. He got up on his bed and began jumping for joy. “Ya~hoo~~!!!” he cried out.
“Calm down, Link, or you'll get in trouble!” Navi squeaked. At this, Link sat down on his bed and seized shouting. “Good, you've stopped. Now, the Great Deku Tree has summoned you, so let's go!!”
“Are you sure he has summoned me?” Link asked, sighing. “I mean, I'm not that special…”
“Don't say that, Link! Of course you're special!!” said Navi reassuringly. “Everyone is special in some way. In the Deku Tree's eyes, every single being is special, living or not!! Also, yes, he has summoned you!”
“Ok, let's go then!” said Link with a new air of confidence.
“Yeah,” Navi replied. Link headed for his “door,” which was merely a faded white sheet hanging in front of a doorway. Link pushed through it, then held it open so that Navi could go through it. “Thank you,” said Navi.
“Your welcome, Navi,” said Link with a smile.
A young Kokiri girl with curly, green hair and brown eyes came running down the hill that Link's tree rested at the bottom of. She was the same girl that Link had a picture of next to his bed. “Hi, Link!” she called up to him, waving. Link waved back, a wide grin forming on his face.
Link went down the latter to greet her, Navi following him. “Hi, Saria,” he said happily.
“So I see you finally got a fairy! That's awesome!!” she said.
“Yeah, her name's Navi,” he said. “I also got summoned by the Great Deku Tree himself! Can you believe it?!”
“The Deku Tree really summoned you?! That's really good to hear, Link!” Saria replied. “Now, don't want to keep him waiting, do you? Go and see him! I'll be waiting here,”
“Ok, Saria,” he said. With that, he headed in the direction of the Great Deku Tree's meadow.
Everything was going just fine until he got to the path that led down to the Deku Tree. He got knocked to the ground, landing flat on his behind. “What the hell?!” he asked no one in particular. He looked up to see Mido, a mischievous-looking Kokiri with spiky, orange hair and brown eyes. Freckles covered his face. “Aurgh! Why do you have to be so mean, Mido?! You are such an asshole!!”
“Well, if it isn't Mr. `No-Fairy!?'” Mido laughed. “No `no-fairies' allowed!”
“You're not gonna let him talk to you like that, are you, Link?” asked Navi, giving Mido a dirty look.
“Oh, I see you have a fairy now! Well, Mr. `New-Fairy,' I'm still not letting you pass,” said Mido. “Besides, what business would a fairy now! Well, Mr. `New-Fairy,' I'm still not letting you pass,” said Mido. “Besides, what business would you have with the Great Deku Tree anyway?!”
“The Deku Tree has asked for my presence, so let us through, you stupid asshole!” Link shouted angrily.
“That's right, Mido, so let us through right now!” said Navi.
“Is that so?! Well, you at least need to equip yourself with a sword and shield,” said Mido, “and to make things more interesting, I'm gonna hold onto your fairy for you `til you get back,” Mido grinned and grabbed hold of Navi by her wings. “Plus, if you don't get back in a couple of hours, I'll crush your fairy! You got that?!”
“Damnit, Mido! I don't have time for your stupid games! I really need to see the Deku Tree!” shouted Link.
“Then get your ass moving!!”
“But -”
“I'll have to agree with him on this one, Link. I think you'll need a sword and shield for this!” said Navi. “Now hurry!”
“I thought I was just gonna be talking with the Deku Tree,”
“He said something about a journey of some sort,”
“Ok, then I'll get a sword, and a shield, too!” With that, Link headed off.
`I hope he makes it,' thought Navi.
 
Link had no clue where to get a sword or shield. That's why he was going to Saria for help. “Hey, Saria!” he called to her.
“Huh?” she said, spinning around. “Oh, hey, Link! So, what did the Deku Tree say?”
“Oh, I haven't been there yet, but Mido took Navi hostage! Unless I get a sword and shield, he's gonna crush her!! I don't know where to get a sword or a shield though!” Link explained. “I thought you might know,”
“Mido, that ass! He is so mean!!” growled Saria. “Anyways, I know where to get a shield, but not a sword. You should talk to the Know-it-all Brothers about a sword. You can buy a shield at the shop though. You should head there!”
“Ok, I'll get right on it!” said Link. Link then turned in the direction of the Kokiri Shop and, waving to Saria, headed straight for it.
Once Link got to the shop, he saw a Kokiri girl with short, spiky, red orange hair and blue eyes on the roof. It was Mindy, whom Link has secretly liked for awhile now. “Hey, Link!” she called down to him. “I can't get down! Think you can lend me a hand?”
“Sure, jump down and I'll catch you,” Link replied, smiling.
“You mean it this time?” she asked.
“Yes, I do,” Link lied.
“Ok, here I go!” Mindy said, jumping. With a crash, she landed on Link.
“Ow, my back!” he wined, barely audible.
“Oh, sorry!” she said, getting off of him.
“It-it's ok, Mindy,” he said, getting up and brushing himself off.
“So, why have you come to the shop, Link?” Mindy asked curiously.
“I've come to get a shield!” said Link.
“Why do you need a shield?” she asked. “Besides, they're really expensive!”
“I know, but the Deku Tree has summoned me, and Mido said that if I don't get a sword and shield, then I can't pass him!”
“You've been summoned by the Great Deku Tree?! Why?!”
“I don't know yet, but I bet it's important!”
“You better get a move on then!”
“Yeah, Mido said he would crush my fairy if I didn't get back there soon!” Link then rushed into the shop.
“Hey, Link! What do ya need today? A Deku Stick? Some Deku Nuts, perhaps?” Finwe - the shop owner - asked.
“None of those; I need a shield, and a sword if you have one,” said Link.
“I don't carry swords, but I do have Deku Shields. They're forty Rupees apiece” said Finwe.
“I'll take one!” said Link as he took out his wallet. Sadly, there was not a single Rupee in it. “Oh, sorry. I spent the last of my Rupees on a Deku Stick, which Mido stole as soon as I got it!” Link continued on to say, “Now how am I gonna get back to Mido in time with a sword and shield!”
“Hang on! Did Mido send you?” asked Finwe.
“Yeah,”
“Come closer,” said Finwe. Link did as he was told. “Ok, I can give you a shield for free…if you are on an errand for Mido,” he whispered.
“I am,” said Link.
“Then here's your shield,” Finwe replied, handing Link a Deku Shield and then making it appear as if Link was paying him. “Now go!”
“Ok, thanks for the shield, Finwe,” said Link as he left the shop.
“Come again!” called Finwe.
Link returned to his home. Setting the shield on his table, he said to himself, “Alright, I've got a shield! Now for a sword,” He left and headed for the hill on which the Know-it-all brothers lived.
“Greetings, Link. What brings you to our humble home?” Reginald - one of the three Know-it-all brothers - said as Link entered their home.
“I was wondering if one of you knew where I could find a sword,” said Link.
“Yes, that we do. We shall take you to the Kokiri Sword!” Steven - the oldest Know-it-all - said.
“You guys really know the location of the Kokiri Sword?!” asked Link.
“That we do!” said Reginald.
“I'm getting tired of waiting, so let's go!” Eugene - the youngest of the Know-it-alls - said.
“Yes, let's go,” agreed the other Know-it-alls. They led Link to the entrance to a cave behind their home that was normally sealed.
“The Great Deku Tree added this door to prevent Mido from stealing the Kokiri Sword,” Reginald explained. As they entered, Eugene sealed the entrance behind them once more. They stopped. “Allow us to reveal our true names, as you are worthy of obtaining this people's greatest treasure. My name is Finrod,” said Steven.
“I am Caranthir,” said Reginald.
“And I am Elrohir,” said Eugene.
“We are the Elensar Brothers!” They all said at once.
“We are the oldest living Kokiri in the village, and the last living `true' Kokiri,” explained Caranthir. “We were named the guardians of the Kokiri Sword by the Great Deku Tree himself over a hundred years ago,”
“Let's keep going,” said Elrohir. They led Link to the end of the path. At the end of it lied a large, wooden chest. “Go ahead. Open it!”
“But it's locked!” protested Link.
“No it isn't. Try to open it!” said Finrod.
“Fine,” Link surrendered. Despite what Link had previously thought, it opened. Inside was a small but sharp sword with a black, jewel-encrusted hilt. Next to it was a simple, blue sheath.
“That is the Kokiri Sword! Please return it as soon as you have finished with it. We would deeply appreciate it!” said the Elensar Brothers.
“I will!” said Link as he sheathed the sword on his back. He then left the cave and headed for his house. Once he had his shield, he then headed straight for Mido.
“Link!!!” cried Navi happily as he reached her and Mido.
Mido tugged her closer. “Well, I still see no -” he began. “Wait, what is that? Is that…is that the Kokiri sword?!”
“Sure is!” said Link proudly,
“And what the hell is that?!” cried Mido. “It's a Deku Shield, isn't it?!”
“Yep!”
“Aurgh! You may have gotten yourself a sword and a shield, but you're still a weakling! I shall never accept you as one of us!!” Mido growled.
“Good riddance,” Link mumbled. He ran past Mido, Navi following, and started along the path to the Great Deku Tree's meadow. Soon after, he could see the Deku Tree. However, just before he reached the entrance to the meadow, a tall, withering, spiked plant rose out of the ground. It was a Deku Baba, and an old one at that.
“Right!” said Link, drawing his sword. He didn't even bother bringing out his shield. He rolled to the side, dodging the spikes on its stem, and clumsily cut it down. Link then stood up, sheathing his sword.
“Not the best I've seen, but still decent,” Navi complemented.
“Thanks,” said Link. They then continued into the meadow.
“I'm back!” called Navi.
“Welcome Link. I see thou hast brought a sword and a shield,” said the Deku Tree calmly.
“Yes, that I did,” Link replied.
“Link, I have terrible news,” said the Deku Tree. “I have been cursed by a man of the desert in black armor. My end in nigh,” he paused for a moment, breathing heavily. “Link, `tis time for you to test thy courage! Are you ready, Link?”
“Yes,”
“Then go! Rid this curse from me,”
“I shall do my best, oh Great Deku Tree!” said Link confidently. He then ran into the Deku Tree's now-open mouth.
 
To be continued…