Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Zelda and the Hero of Time ❯ Inside the Great Deku Tree ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Legend of Zelda and the Hero of Time
Author: the ultimate SoBe Master
Chapter 2: Inside the Great Deku Tree
Email: mightysobe745_8@yahoo.com
Category: Legend of Zelda
 
 
Inside the Deku Tree practically everything was made of thick wood. However, there was something you would not expect to see inside a tree: A humongous spider web covering the opening at the top of the trunk. There was also a hole in the middle of the floor, which was also covered with a thick, white, gooey spider web.
Creeping closer to the web, gripping the hilt of his sword tightly, he peered down into the hole. It was a long way down to the bottom. The bottom of the hole appeared to be flooded.
Suddenly, a small flower near him sprang to life. It revealed itself as a young Deku Baba. Thinking quickly, Link drew his sword and his shield. “Ok, you stupid plant, you want some? Then bring it!” Link exclaimed, feeling the adrenaline pumping.
“Link, it's a younger Deku Baba than what we saw earlier! Wait until it strikes, then give it a good whack with your sword,” Navi explained. “It'll stiffen out, and then you can cut its stem! Watch out though, for it has a venomous bite!”
“Got it! Thanks for the info, Navi!” Link replied. He then turned his attention to the Deku Baba. Putting up his shield, he readied himself for defense. The Deku Baba reared, ready to strike. It lashed forward. Link, however, rolled to the side and out of the way. With a quick sweep of his sword, he stunned the plant being. Then, with another slice of his sword, Link hacked down the Deku Baba. He then collected the Deku Stick that was left in its place.
“Good job, Link! Another one bites the dust!” Navi cheered.
Sheathing his sword and shield, Link spotted a wooden ladder to his left. He ran to it, Navi following, and climbed up it. Pulling himself up to the next level, Link unsheathed his sword and shield and started walking up the path. As he continued, he came to a gap. He backed up a bit, then ran at full speed and jumped across it. He just barely made it across.
Soon, he came to what appeared to be a sealed door. “What do I do now?” Link asked no one in particular.
“Press your hand against the door, Link,” Navi answered. “The Deku Tree can feel you in here. I'm sure he would open a door for you if he felt your hand on a sealed door,”
“Ok, I'll give it a shot, Navi,” replied Link. He then stepped up to the door and placed his hand flat against it. Suddenly, it rose up. “Wow, you were right, Navi!” Link exclaimed. He stepped into the next room, the door closing behind him.
The next room was a simple, small, rectangle room with a small, green fern in the middle of it. However, when Link took one step towards the other end of the room, a weird, plant monster that was about Link's size popped out of the fern. It looked like a green bush with eyes and a round, wooden mouth. “You're mine, plant!” Link shouted, crouching low and charging the plant monster, his sword at the ready. Just as he was about to strike, however, the plant thing fired a Deku Nut at him from its mouth. It then went back into the ground. The Deku Nut hit him, bursting and spraying shrapnel everywhere. A couple of the shards of shrapnel bounced off the walls and got lodged in Link's arm. Link winced in pain.
“Don't be so reckless, Link! That's a Deku Scrub,” Navi informed. “It will spit Deku Nuts at you, as you probably have noticed. It will hide in the hole in the center of the plant that it lives in if you get close to it, so keep your distance if you wanna defeat it. Deflect the Deku Nuts it spits at you back at it with your shield! Once it gets hit by its own Deku Nut, it'll come out of the plant and attempt to escape! Strike it down with you sword before it manages to!”
“Thanks for the information, N-Navi!” Link replied, pulling the shards of Deku Nut out of his arm. A stream of blood began to flow down it. Link then jumped back a couple of feet. The Deku Scrub came back up and fired another nut at Link. Thinking quickly, Link put up his shield. The Deku Nut was deflected back at the Deku Scrub. When it hit the Scrub, the Scrub shrieked and popped out of its plant home. It then started hopping around at random, trying to stay as far away from Link as possible.
“Quick, before it has a chance to get back to the plant!” Navi warned.
“Right!” Readying his sword, Link charged the Deku Scrub and, with a slice of his sword, cut it down.
The Scrub fell to the ground with a thud. “Remember this, young Kokiri: One - three - two!” The Scrub stammered. It then shriveled up, turned brown, and crumbled.
“One…three…two…? What the hell does that mean?!” Link muttered. He then moved to the far side of the room and placed his palm against the door.
The next room was a larger room with a ledge in the wall on both sides of the room. On the far side of the room was a large, ancient-looking, wooden chest covered in green vines. In between the two ledges that seemed to be carved into the wall was a deep gap. There was no visible way to get up to the ledges from the bottom of the gap.
In between the ledges was also a floating, unstable-looking, stone platform. It looked to be the only way to the other end of the room. Link ran and jumped to the platform. It began to shake when Link landed on it. Quickly, Link jumped to the ledge on the far end of the room. When he landed, he turned just in time to see the platform crumble. “That was close…” Link muttered.
He then turned to the chest. He unsheathed his sword and cut the vines away from the chest. Sheathing his sword, he then pulled open the chest. Inside was a sack that appeared to be made from some kind of animal skin. There was also a wooden slingshot with a sling that looked like it was made from some sort of flexible vine. “Wow! That's really rare, Link! You know what that is?!” Navi exclaimed. “It's a Fairy Slingshot! You don't come by one of these very often! By the way, what's in the sack?”
Link peered into the sack. Inside were dozens upon dozens of small, golden seeds. “I know what these are! They're Deku Seeds!”
“I see. You can use those as ammunition for your slingshot!” Navi replied.
“Good idea, Navi!” Link stated. Slipping the Fairy Slingshot and the sack filled with Deku Seeds in between his belt and his tunic, he turned to face the entrance on the other end of the room.
Suddenly having an idea, he peered up above the ledge at what appeared to be an old, wooden ladder. Taking out his slingshot, he took a seed from the sack and readied it. Taking aim, he shot the seed. It was a direct hit. The ladder fell right in front of the ledge and fell flat against the wall. “Yes!” Link exclaimed, jumping down to the ground below. He moved to the ladder and climbed up it.
“Nice going, Link!” Navi congratulated.
“Thanks, Navi,” Link replied.
 
Once back in the center chamber, Link looked up. “Still one more level to go…” He mumbled.
“Link, I think we passed some vines you can climb on our way up here!” Navi suggested.
“Yeah, we did!” Link agreed. They started back down the path. Soon after, they came to some vines on the wall. “What the heck are those?” Link asked, pointing at the three spider-like creatures on the wall.
“Those are Wall Skultulas - one of the three species of Skultula found throughout Hyrule,” Navi explained. “They are all identifiable by the white, skull-like marking on their backs. Wall Skultulas are the weakest species of Skultula. Simply get them off the wall and they shrivel up and die. For some unknown reason if they are separated from the special silk that holds them to the walls, they die…one of the theories is that it provides them with nutrients vital to life itself…”
“Ok, how hard is it to get them off the wall?”
“Not hard…a shot from your slingshot will probably do,”
“Ok, good!” Link readied his slingshot. He then took aim and fired. He got a direct hit. The Wall Skultula fell from the wall and shriveled up, lifeless. “One down, two to go!” Link readied, aimed, and fired at the second Skultula. It fell from the wall and died just like the first one “Now, one more!” Link readied another Deku Seed. The last one was higher up than the other two had been, so Link moved back a bit, nearly falling off the edge. He fired and just barely nicked it. Just like the other two, it fell off the wall and died.
Grabbing hold of the vines on the right end of the patch of vines covering that area of the wall, Link began to climb. Once at the top, he moved over a bit until he was over land and dropped down. There was a door near where he was. Link went up to it and put his hand upon it.
The next room was similar to the one he got his slingshot from, only this room only had one ledge: the one he was on. Curiosity getting the best of him, Link jumped down to the bottom of the gap. Just as he landed, four spider-like creatures that were a little bit bigger than Link dropped down from the ceiling and started moving from side to side, preparing to strike.
“Link, those are normal Skultulas. Simply hack `em up with your sword!” Navi stated.
“Ok, no problem!” Link exclaimed. Suddenly, one of the Skultulas launched at him. Readying his sword, Link sidestepped and sliced the Skultula in half. Two more lashed out at him. Link performed a spin attack to defeat them. “Yes! Sliced and diced `em!” Link exclaimed, grinning. He then charged the last remaining Skultula. Before it could strike, Link struck it down, splattering its guts everywhere.
“Very good, Link! I think you're starting to get the hang of this!” Navi exclaimed.
“Thanks, Navi!” Link replied. `That was simply a trap! Damn!' He thought. With that, they headed back to the center chamber. As they entered the chamber, a large Skultula dropped down on a strand of silk.
“That's a Big Skultula, the largest and strongest of Skultulas! Aim for its soft underbelly to beat it!” Navi explained.
“Thanks for the tip, Navi,” Link replied. He then put up his shield and faced the Skultula. It swung itself at Link. Link sidestepped it and just as it passed, he thrust his sword through the spider's belly. The Big Skultula fell from its strand onto its back. “Such a weak adversary!” Link muttered. He then leapt off the edge, completely forgetting about the hole in the center of the ground floor.
Once in the air, he then remembered the hole. He tried to scream, but no sound escaped him. When he hit the web, he broke through and continued to fall. When he got to the bottom, he came into an open room with a low ceiling. He splashed into a shallow pool of water. He was surprised to learn that it wasn't flooded like he previously thought.
There were two sections of raised land: on the right side of the room and the entire far end. Link climbed up onto the lower raised ground, which was the patch of it on the right side of the room. He then began thinking of a way to the other side.
Suddenly, he got an idea. Unsheathing his sword, he tossed it at the side of the raised ground on the far side of the room like a spear. It stuck in the ledge. Link then ran towards the edge of the ledge and jumped, strategically landing on his sword. Using the sword like a spring board, he jumped onto the ledge and then reached down and pulled his sword out.
Just as he stood up, he saw a large Deku Baba reveal itself next to him, and it was about to strike. Just as it struck, he rolled to the side and struck it in the head. Now angry, the Deku Baba reared back and struck again. Link just barely dodged it and struck it again in the head. Its head ruptured, and a thick, green liquid sprayed out. A little got on Link's face. “Yuck!” He exclaimed, wiping it off with his hand.
Link then noticed that there was another hole in the floor with a spider web covering it. He cut it with his sword and hopped in. He soon splashed down into a small pool. He was at the bottom of a shallow hill. He saw three Deku Scrubs at the top. He quickly made his way to dry land.
“I get now what that other Deku Scrub meant about one, three, and two earlier!” Link muttered as he readied his shield. A Deku Nut suddenly flew at him. He turned to his left and deflected it back. Upon impact, the Scrub was stunned. However, two other Deku Nuts slammed into him. Quickly turning to the Scrub on the right just as it had fired another nut. He deflected it back at the Scrub. Now only one remained active. Link quickly repeated the process.
When the Deku Nut made contact with the last Scrub, it popped out of the ground. However, unlike the Scrub from earlier, this one was not hopping around. It was perfectly still. The other two Deku Scrubs burst into flames. When the flames extinguished, there were only ashes left.
Link slowly approached the Scrub. When he was nearly face to face with it, it spoke, “I see our idiot brother blabbed our secret when you killed him. I congratulate you for succeeding in our puzzle. Now, if you wish to face our Queen Gohma, then kill me, for I am the key to her chamber!” Without hesitation, Link sliced through the Scrub. It then burst into flames.
When the flames extinguished, a large, stone door opened in front of Link. He slowly entered. When he did, the door slammed shut behind him. Keeping his sword and shield at the ready, he entered the chamber. He looked up to the center of the ceiling to glimpse a large, yellow eye. Suddenly, a large, black, scorpion-like creature dropped from the ceiling.
“Oh my god! It's Queen Gohma herself! So, she's been destroying the Deku Tree! Kill her, Link! Do it for the Deku Tree!!” Navi exclaimed angrily.
“Don't worry, I will!” Link replied.
“You have to shoot it in the eye with your slingshot before you can do any damage!”
“Right!” Link sheathed his sword and shield and pulled out his slingshot. He then readied a seed. Gohma suddenly started moving slowly towards Link.
“Link, don't forget that you can only shoot her in the eye when it is red!”
“Ok, got it!” Link waited for Gohma to get closer. Suddenly, she reared up and her eye turned red and got wide. “Now!” Link said to himself, firing the Deku Seed at Gohma's eye.
Suddenly, Gohma shrieked, and her eye widened even further and turned green. “Attack the eye, Link!” Navi shouted.
“Right!” Link started slashing his sword against Gohma's eye as fast as he could. He could tell he was doing damage, for blood was dripping down her eye. Suddenly, her eye changed back to red, and she knocked Link to the side with one of her club-like arms. She then climbed back onto the ceiling. Once she was back in the middle, she lowered her tail, and seven red and white spotted eggs were forced out.
“Quick, destroy the eggs before they hatch!” Navi exclaimed. Link launched forward and took out four of the eggs in one sweep. He then crushed another. However, the two remaining eggs hatched. They were Gohma larvae.
One of the larvae jumped onto Link, knocking him over. It then used its sharp front limbs to slash Link's left arm, making a deep cut in it. Link winced in pain. Angered, Link used his shield to bat the Gohma larva off of him. While it was in the air, Link sliced it in half with his sword.
Just as he was getting up, the other larva slammed into him, knocking him to the ground. Link saw that its eye was bright red. It was about to pounce. Just as it did, Link stabbed the larva in the eye, blinding it. It screamed in pain. Taking the opportunity, Link got to his feet and thrust his sword through the larva's back. He then shook it off his sword.
Link just barely was able to roll out of the way as Gohma dropped down from the ceiling again. He could tell that it was pissed off. Her eye immediately turned red and she charged, her arm ready to slam into Link. Link quickly readied his slingshot. He shot a seed three different times, yet she was able to dodge. Just as she was about to reach Link, he shot a fourth see, and this time it was a direct hit. Her eye once again turned green. Instead of hacking up her eye, he stabbed her right through the pupil. She shrieked in pain, and she started to incinerate in blue flame until there was nothing left of Queen Gohma.
Suddenly, Link was transported out of the Deku Tree. He appeared in front of him. “Well done, Link, Navi,” The Deku Tree said. “Your efforts were truly great, but alas, my end has not been halted. I will still die. However, before I die, I must give you this. It is the Kokiri's most prized possession: The Kokiri's Emerald!” The Deku Tree reached up into its higher branches with one of its lower ones. It then lowered a small, round, green emerald surrounded almost completely with gold.
“Thank you, Great Deku Tree!” Link exclaimed.
“The man of the desert who cast this terrible curse over me wanted that. He threatened me with this curse, but I simply could not allow such an evil man to have it,” The Deku Tree said. “Now, thou is familiar with the story of how this world came to be, are you not?”
“N-no sir…” Link replied, blushing slightly.
“Very well, then I shall pass the knowledge to you…” The Deku Tree began. “Long ago, three goddesses came to this planet: One called Din, one called Farore, and one called Nayru. Din, with her majestic fires, cultivated the red earth that would be the world; Farore, with her grace, formed law that would harmonize the land; and Nayru, with her great courage and love, created life that would uphold this law. When they left to return to the Heavens, it is believed that they left three gold triangles in the spot of their return. That is believed to be the Sacred Realm. The Sacred Realm is aid to be protected by the Temple of Time, built by the Ancient Sages to protect the Sacred Realm.
Now, Link, it is time that thou begins your quest, for one day, you will save us all! You are to go to a Hyrule Castle. There you will find the Princess of Destiny. Now go!” The Great Deku Tree finished. Suddenly, the bushes and flowers that surrounded the Great Deku Tree began to blacken and die. The Deku Tree started to turn a dark shade of grayish red, and that was that. He was gone. He was dead. The Great Deku Tree had died. No longer did the Kokiri have a protector to watch over them.
Link and Navi made their way to the top of the hill, then stopped. They turned to look at the Deku Tree one last time. “Goodbye…Great Deku Tree…old friend…” Navi said. They then turned and started along the path back to the village.
When they got to the entrance to the village, Mido was blocking their path. “What did you do?! What did you do to the Great Deku Tree?!!” He demanded.
“Out of my way, Mido…!” Link scowled, pushing past him.
He began to walk away, when Mido grabbed his tunic. “Hey, I -”
“Back off, Mido…” Link warned fiercely. His hand was gripping his sword hilt tightly.
“Hey, I asked you a -”
“I said back off!” Link shouted, drawing his sword and pointing the end at Mido's throat. “Now I suggest you let go of my tunic, Mido, if you know what's good for you!” Mido froze. All he could do was nod his head slowly and remove his hand from Link's tunic. “That's better, Mido,” With that, Link sheathed his sword and continued towards his house. He went there and got his wallet, then jumped down to the ground and started for the exit at a run.
When he got there, he was surprised that Saria still hadn't shown up to say goodbye. He continued to ponder this as he stepped onto the wooden bridge that would lead to the exit. He was just about there, when he noticed Saria standing about halfway from the exit on the side of the bridge. “Saria!” Link blurted out.
“So, you're really leaving?” She asked.
“Yeah, I am…” Link said.
“Well, I guess I kind of always knew you would leave one day…I just didn't wanna believe it…” Saria said sadly. She then held out her hand. She was holding a cream colored ocarina. “Take this,”
“What is it?” Link asked.
“It's a Fairy Ocarina. My mom gave it to me before she died. I now am giving it to you. Whenever you play that ocarina, always remember me…”
Link simply nodded. He walked over to her and pulled her into a tight hug. “Thank you for being my friend…” He whispered. He then let go. He backed up two steps, then turned and ran.
“I will always be your friend, Link…remember that…” Saria whispered.
 
 
A/N: Well, what'd ya think?! I know its been awhile, but at least I haven't forgotten about it…anyway, please R&R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!