Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess ❯ Wolves Come Out at Night ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]
A.N.- None of these characters belong to me, they are the property of Nintento. Noticed a few spelling errors so I figued I better go through and fix that asap. Also if something seems weird with the page it could be because my vista program doesn’t like this site or something stupid like that. At any rate enjoy.


Chapter 6: Wolves Come Out at Night

He called to her a few more times, but didn’t get any response. Snorting He turned to leave the spring and head back to the village. Wolf or not the people there knew him and would help, right?
“ So, um, what next?”Midna said, rising up out of his shadow.
Link nearly jumped out of his skin he was so startled.
“ Eee hee hee!” she gigled, “ Did you think I’d dissapeared?”
“ I did actually,” Link grumbled, noticing that Midna was only a shadowy, see-through, phantom.
“ Listen, there’s another thing I forgot to tell you…”
“ Oh, really? What would that be?”
“ Don’t think you can just run off and save your friends, because you can’t,” she said, gesturing towards the bridge spanning the Ordon Gorge, “ Just beyond that bridge, the land is covered in twilight. Last time, a shadow beast pulled you through the curtian of twilight…” Link cringed at the memory of that experience. “ But if you want to go that way this time you’ll need the cooperation of someone FROM the twilight…” He rolled his eyes, knowing what was coming next. “ like me! So you really have no choice but to do what I say. Saving your friends and all that…Well, that’ll depend on your actions…Because you never can trust words, you know.”
“ Good advice. So what is it that you want me to do now?”
“ Right now I want a sword and a shield that’ll suit me.”
“ A sword…? And a shield…? What do you need those for?”
“ You do understand me, don’t you?” she asked.
“ Of course I understand you,”he said, “ I just want to know, why?”
“ Eee hee hee! So, what do you plan to do? While you’re here dawdling, the twilight continues to expand. Come on! Hurry up!”
She said that and dissapeared into his shadow again. He glanced over the bridge at the wall of twilight and snorted again.
“ Fine then,” he said, turning towards the village, “ I’ll get you a sword and shield, but I expect to be told everything soon.”
He trotted off for home noticing that monsters had left he forest and taken up residence just outside of his house. Furious at these creatures who had so easily destroyed his life he attacked them reletlessly with a flurry of fangs and claws.
When the monsters were dead and vanished he nodded his head in satisfaction and headed towards the village.
“ Wait!”a small voice said, stopping him.
He turned around, snarling, but it was only a little squirrel.
“ Thank you for taking care of those bad guys!”
Link couldn’t believe it. Now he was hearing the voices of the animals.
“ Um…You’re welcome.”
“ Yeah, they made both the village and the forest a mess…The kidnapped the village children…”
“ They did what?!”
“ They kidnapped the village children. But I know…you’re not one of them.”
“ You can?”
“ I can tell because you smell like the trees of Ordon…”
the squirrel said, nodding, “ If you run into any trouble , try talking to the animals. We animals understand one another, so you’ll be all right!”
It said that and then scurried away while Link stood there digesting what it had told him. Talo, Malo, Beth, Colin, Ilia…All of them had been taken away by the monsters. And with him missing as well the other villagers likely thought that he had beeen taken too. Things just kept on getting better and better.
He glanced up at the full moon that had risen up into the now night sky and flet the indescribable urge to howl in despair at it.

As he trotted into the eirly empty village he thought he could hear someone moaning nearby.
“ Ohh…How did it come to this?” they were saying, “ The children…Please say nothing’s happened…Please forgive your good-for-nothing father…”
Hanch…Link thought, trotting over to see him.
Something stopped him just outsde of the torch’s light though. As if a little alarm in the back of his mind was telling him that it was a bad idea to directly approach any of the villagers just yet. He ignored it and approached him anyway, but Hanch wasn’t paying any attention.
That’s when he noticed Mayor Bo and Jaggle talking in the torchlight outside of Jaggle’s house. He cocked his head to the side curiously and crossed the bridge to where they stood.
“ Oh! About that shield!…” Bo was saying.
“ Shh! Not so loud…” Jaggle said, urging him to lower his voice.
Even with his now enhancd hearing Link couldn’t hear what it was they were saying so he crept closer on his belly, finally listening to the little alarm that was telling him to be catious. Hiding in the grass directly behind Jaggle Link listened in closely to their conversation.
“ So that shield is still in your house, right?” Mayor Bo asked.
“ Uh, yeah, it should be in our storage loft,” Jaggle said, not trying to hide the confusion on his face.
“ Good! Go grab it, quick as you can!” he said, “ Rusl got wounded pretty bad, so he can’t go search for the kids. I’ll take over for him.”
Rusl got hurt…? Link thought. He’d never imagined that anything like that could’ve happened to his teacher.
“ But Rusl had a sword, Mayor!” Jaggle argued, “ And he STILL got hurt! If you’re unarmed, you’re done for!”
“ I’ll be fine. The sword we were goin’ to present to the royal family should still be at Rusl’s house.”
“ Oh yeah? All right, I understand, Mayor. I’ll hurry up and get that shield. You just wait here…”
“ No good!” Bo said, noticing Link crouched in the grass, “ Run!”
“ No! Wait! Mayor! Jaggle! Come back! It’s me Link!”he said, stepping out of the grass.
But they were already long gone and locked themselves up inside of the Mayor’s house. Midna’s shadowy form emerged from his shadow once again.
“ That’s not a bad bit of information you heard, huh?” she said, looking around her and spotting an open window in Jaggle’s house, “ Ugh…Look at that open window. This village is full of idiots.”
“ Hey! I’m from this village!”
“ So…” Midna continued, ignoring his barking and growling, “ We should jump up there…but from where?”
Link followed her eyes until he spotted the path she was looking at. He would have to jump to the roof of Sera and Hanch’s house, to the rock formation next to it where Hanch now stood, to the axel of the waterwheel, and finally up to the roof of Jaggle’s house itself.
Satisfied that Link understood what to do Midna Sunk back into his shadow.
Thinking that Hanch was still not paying his surroundings any attention Link crossed over into the torchlight at the foot of the rock formation. He was wrong.
“ Mon-MONSTER!!” Hanch shouted spotting him, “ You’ve returned for more haven’t you? My…My daughter…Return her! And TAKE THIS!!’
Link stood frozen in place as Hanch called down the hawk and had it poised to strike him down.
“ Hanch! Wait it’s me! Link! Yipe!”
Link yelped and was knocked aside as the hawk swooped down raked at him with its claws. Wimpering he ran off into the shadows with his tail tucked between his legs. There Sera’s cat ran out of the shop through it’s door and met him.
“ Were you attacked by that hawk?”she asked.
“ Yes…”Link mumbled, hurt both physically and emotionally that no one seemed to recognize him.
“ I’m sorry!”the cat said, almost sheepishly, “ That person calling the hawk is my master’s…husband. You could sneak up from behind and scare him, meow.”
“ Yeah, I was thinking that I was going to have to do that,”
he said, looking up at the roof and back down at the cat, “ Do you know who I am?”
“ No, but you smell the same as the ranch hand named Link, so I know you’re a nice wolf!”
If wolves could smile Link certianly managed to do it as he lowered his head to lick the cat softly on top of the head.
“ C’mon, let’s get up on the roof from here and scare that guy,” Midna said, seemingly unwilling to stay hidden in his shadow for any lengthy period of time, “ Look at him…posing like he’s all important…Wait until he sees us! Eee hee hee!”
You mean wait until he sees me, Link thought grudginly.
But with her help he made the jump to the top of the roof and from there to the rock where Hanch stood.
“ WHOA!” he screamed jumping into the water.
Midna was urging him to go on further, but he wanted to try something first. Sitting down in front of where the hawk grass grew he howled the melody that he normally would’ve whistled as best as he could.
For a moment nothing happenned, then the hawk flew down and hoverred in front of him.
“ So…”it said, “ You’re Link…right?”
“ Yes,”
Link said, happy that someone had recognised him and wagging his tail.
“ Sorry about giving you so much trouble before,” he said, looking as shamefaced as a hawk could, “ I’m not proud of it, but it’s in my genes to obey anyone who blows on a reed. How sad…”
“ It’s all right. I don’t hold it against you. I probably should’ve been more careful,”
he said, “ Why did you fly down? I’m not able to blow on a reed like this.”
“ Your voice. It sounded just like a reed…That’s why I flew down. I’ll tell you what…Next time call me like that when you need something. Who knows? I might be able to help you out!”
“ Thank you,”
Link said, as the hawk flew off into the night sky.
Now he knew that he could call down the hawk by howling the tune which was a helpful thing to know. Maybe if he got the chance later he would try the same thing with a patch of horse grass and see if he couldn’t call to Epona. But that was something for another time.
Using Midna’s help once again he leapt up to the top most platform of Jaggle’s house and jumped through the open window.
Inside the house he didn’t see the shield anywhere. So he climbed up on the table in case it was out of his line of sight. Sure enough the shield was hung on the back wall of the storage loft, right where Jaggle had said that it would be.
“ Eee hee!” Midna giggled, “ Found it! Found it!”
She helped him get up there since he failed miserably on his first attempt by himself. Gazing up at the shield hanging there he realized that it was too high up for him to just jump up and grab with his teeh. So he did the next best thing that he could think of and hoped that it would work. He rammed the wall two times dislodging the shield so that if fell to the floor with a low thunk!
“ It looks…kind of cheep…” Midna complained, looking disdainfully at the shield as Link struggled to make sure it would get on his back and stay there.
“ What do you expect?”he grunted, “ We aren’t exactly the richest village around. We have to make most of our things.”
“ All right, then,” she said, ignoring him like always, “ Next is a sword. Hurry up and get one!”
Rolling his shoulders one last time to make sure that the shield was securely fastened into place and wouldn’t move, Link hopped out of the other open window in the house.

He landed into the river with a loud splash, alerting Rusl clear on the other side of the village.
“ What was that sound?!” he said, turning to look, “ The children could not have returned…could they? I must go out and search one last time.” Uli looked at him worridly. “ You get inside the house. I have placed the sword that was to be our gift to Hyrule on the couch. If the mayor comes for it, please give it to him.”
“ But, darling….” Uli said, wringing her hands worridly, “ you injuries!”
Link was too far away to hear this exchange, but he did see Rusl walking away from his house with a torch in one hand and a sword in the other. Remember the others’ reactions to him, he wisely stayed in the creek as he walked steathily following it to Rusl and Uli’s house.
He was standing in the shadows along the side of the house, pondering how toget in without being seen, when his new senses showed him the way. He could see an area of dirt around the bottom of the house that seemingly glittered. Knowing what it meant without really knowing knowing Link dug into it, going under the planks of the house and into the building itself.
Inside he shook some of the dirt out of his fur and made a mental note to tell Uli or Rusl about their faulty foundation if he ever got back to normal. He sniffed around the house a bit before he noticed the sheathed sword lying on the couch. Nudging it with his nose until he had the strap caught over it he looped it over his head and pushed his left front leg through as well. With a good amount of luck the strap had also managed to get caught on the sheild’s corner so that it was stretched taunt and not moving anytime soon.
“ All right…” Midna said, “ So now you have a sword. Looks like you can actually be useful when you concentrate!”
“ And just what is that supposed to mean?”
“ All right…No more detours. I’m going to take you back into the twilight. Go back to the woods where you first transformed into that shape!”
“ All right then,”he said, watching as she vanashed, yet again, “ I guess I’ll see you again when we get there.”
He dug his way back out of the house and carefully made his way out of the village so that he didn’t attract Rusl’s attention. His sides still hurt from where Hanch had ordered the hawk to attack him, he didn’t want to know what damage Rusl could do with a sword if he percieved him as a threat. Which he probably would with his luck.

Link had just about reached the bridge when another disembodied voice started speaking to him. The whole thing with that was starting to get quite redundant.
“ Wait…” it said, “ Come…to my spring…”
The light spirit! He realized promptly changing his direction.
With he paws splashing about in the soothing waters Link sniffed the air cautiously. He could sense the presence of the spirit, but he could also feel something else. What it was he wasn’t sure, but he knew (or rather felt) that it wasn’t anything good.
“ You have…been transformed…by the power…of shadow…” the spirit said, “ Come to me…”
Link trotted forward at it’s comand. Black monoliths with glowing red markings suddenly appeared all around him as he did so.
“ What is this?”he growled, the fur on his haunches and neck standing on end.
“ Beware…a shadow being…it approaches…”
From the black and red portal in the sky a creature like the one that had pulled him into twilight, dropped out onto the ground. Link couldn’t explain it, but just looking at the creature he felt the desire, no the need, to kill it.
He lept at it, digging into its shoulders with his claws and taking short but precise nips at its throat. After four bites it shook him off. Growling at it he launched himself at it again with better results. His bites had finally reached the creature’s jugular, killing it. Just like the other creatures he had taken care of this one dissapeared, thought not completely. The fragmented pieces of its body were sucked back up to the portal in the sky whose markings promptly changed from red to blue.
With the creature dispensed the monoliths also dissapeared. As if a curse had been lifted the water of the spring glowed gathering in the center of the pool. There the concentrated energy made one tiny ripple then lifted up into the sky in the shape of a glowing sphere. When it had reached a certain point the circular horns of a goat appeared around it protectively followed by the rest of the animal’s body. Throughout the spectacle Link couldn’t help but watch in open-mouthed awe.
“ O brave youth…” the spirit said, when it had fully formed, “ I am one of the four light spirits that protect Hyrule at the behest of the gods. I am Ordona.”
Ordona…Link thought, still struck speechless by the spectacle. He’d always been told that spirits resided in these springs, but now he was seeing one live and in person so to speak.
“ The black beast you slayed was a shadow being,” Ordoan explained, “ It had come to seize the power of light I weild. My brethren in Hyrule have already had their light stolen by these fell beasts.”
“ Is that why the woods are like that?”Link asked, looking over in the direction of Faron woods.
“ The entire kingdom has been reduced to a netherworld ruled by the cursed power of darkness,” the spirit said, hearing his question since it was also technically an animal as well, “ The blight will not stop with Hyrule, before long the entire world of light wll fall into the hands of the king who rules the twilight.”
“ Can something like that even be stopped?”
“ To save this land from the king of twilight, the lost light must be returned. The three light spirits who have lost their light must be revived. And there is but one who can revive them and redeem this land…You.”
“ Me? But I’m just the ranch hand! How can I save Hyrule?!”
“ You still have not discovered your true power…” Ordona said, noticing his distress.
“ But I’m still a wolf. Even if I do have undiscovered potential how am I supposed to save anything like this?”
“ Those transformed by twilight usually cannot recover their original forms…Unless…If you were to return to Faron Woods where you were first transformed…If you were to revive the light spirit…There, by the power of the light spirit, you may find the means to regain your other state of being…”
“ Thank you,”Link said, nodding, eager to return to his human form, “ I’ll try and do my best.”
Ordona nodded in response and vanashed into a dozed glittering fragments of light, leaving Link alone in the spring once more.
With the spirit no longer talking to him he had no more reason to remain there so he headed to the twilight like Midna wanted him to. He slowed as he got closer to the entrance though, not at all eager to head back in case something similar to the last time happenned and he ended up getting captured again.
“ Hey…Look…” Midna said, just a hint of smugness in her voice, “ The Faron Woods that you know so well…They’re now covered in twilight. You might not be able to come back here, but…Do you still want to go?”
“ Yes,”Link said, nodding and steeling himself both mentally and physically for whatever was about to come, “ There’s no turning back now.”
Midna nodded and floated into the entrance, causing a small ripple as she did so. As soon as she was in her hair-hand shot out, grabbed Link, encompassing his entire body, and pulled him in.