Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess ❯ Freeing Faron ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]
A.N.- None of these characters belong to me, they are the property of Nintento. Noticed a few spelling errors so I figued I better go through and fix that asap. Also if something seems weird with the page it could be because my vista program doesn’t like this site or something stupid like that. At any rate enjoy.


Chapter 7: Freeing Faron

Link shook his head to clear it and opened his eyes, in the world of twilight once more. Midna was once more sitting on his back with the weapons he had collected in her hands. He twisted his head around so that he could look at her.
“ Hmm!” she said, her voice muffled by the shield that covered her face, “ So these are the weapons you use in your world?”
“ Hey! Be careful with that!”Link said, narrowly avoiding getting the tops of his ears trimmed off as Midna swung the sword willy-nilly from side to side.
“ You really think this thing can sly the creatures of twilight?” she asked, dropping the sword and shield. Link woofefd slightly as the shield fell over his face.
“ Well, I don’t use these, but I’ll hang on to them for you!” she said, snapping her fingers and making the weapons dissapear, “ All right, a promise is a promise…I trust you enough to help.”
“ Thanks…I think…”
“ In exchange for my help, though, I need you to gather some things for me,” she said, placing her mouth right up against his ear. He sighed, he knew there was a catch coming. “ Look, I can’t tell you all the details now, but it’ll be easy, trust me…”
“ What about not being able to really trust words? How can I trust yours?”Link said. Though he knew that as he said that Midna had already proven her words trustable. She had helped him escape Hyrule’s dungeon, let him out of the twilight, and just now she had helped him get back in again.
“ But enough about that,” she said, turning the conversation in a different direction, “ Do you hear that noise?”
Link listened, and now that she mentioned it he did hear an erie moaning coming from deeper in the woods.
“ Yeah…I do…”
“ It’s the lamentation of the spirit that had its light stolen…Where in the world could it be? Eee hee! Better get going, don’t you think? Don’t blame me for your worldn’t fate if you don’t hurry up and find that light! Come on! Snap to it!”
She kicked him in the sides to spur him into motion even though he didn’t really need it. He was already in motion by the time she had finished her last sentence.
Half way to the spirit’s spring, in first large clearing, another black and red portal appeared in the sky along with a circle of the monoliths. From the portal three of the shadow beasts dropped down.
“ Aww… We’re penned in again!” Midna complained, pouting a little, “ Pfft! Who do they think they’re dealing with? No need to take these little pests on one at a time, right? You can take them all at once!”
“ Wait,what?”Link said, so startled that he stopped growling for a moment.
“ So…You can handle this by yourself, can’t you?” she said, floating away from the danger, “ Good luck! Bye!”
“ Wait-Hey-You! Will you come back here?!”
The shadow beasts were upon him then. He dispatched two of them with relative ease, but the third one was more difficult. Once its comrades had fallen it let out and ear-splitting shriek. Link cowered down and coverred his ears with his paws but couldn’t fully block out the sound until it was over. When he got back up the other two beasts were alive again.
“ What the…”
“ What’s the hold up?” Midna asked, sitting on his back again, “ If you leave the last one alive, it’s just going to use that shriek to bring the others back. Listen, let me help you out here! Just move like I tell you! I’ll expand an energy field, so enclose all the enemies and release!”
Link nodded and watched the orange sparks of energy that marked the edge of the barrier spread out from them in a three foot radius. He could feel the energy coursing through him via his feet and waited until all of the shadow beasts had stumbled into the circle. Midna released the energy and he shot forward like an arrow at each of the shadow beasts, raking vital areas with his claws, and killing them instantly.
When their bodies had turned the portal’s markings blue the monoliths dissapeared and he was able to go forward once again.
At the spring he saw disjointed pieces of light gathered loosely together in a sphere-like formation. He trotted over to it carefully, not wanting anymore encounters with the shadow beasts so soon.
“…Please…be careful…” the light said, “ These woods…have changed…The dark clouds of dusk cover this land…This drape of shadows is called…twilight. In this twilight, those who live in the light…become as mere spirits…It is a place…where the dark ones and evil creatures dwell…”
Link nodded. He had gathered this much from what others had told him already.
“ I…am a spirit…of light…” it said, “ Blue-eyed beast…Look…for my light…Retrieve the light stolen by the dark beasts…and keep it in this, the Vessel of Light.”
Link watched as what looked like a bundle of hollow grapes drifted down out of the light. It wraped itself around around his neck and pulsed softly. Midna refused to touch it, but didn’t say anything.
“ In the shadow’s of twilight…the dark insects are as…invisible…as normal beings are here…Let me use the last of my power…to reveal the locations of the dark insects…that consumed the light…Find…the insects of darkness…”
“ What are these dark insects?”Link asked.
“ The dark insects…They are the form taken by evil…once it has latched on to…our scattered light…”
He wanted to hear more. To better understand what it was that he was going up against here, but the spirit was too weak to say anything more.
Taking the vessel with him he moved on up the path to where he felt that he would find the insects. Sure enough he found two of them, but could only really see them when he concentrated like he was looking for a spirit. He pounced on one and then the other causing them to explode and release the spirit’s light.
Two orbs of blue light gathered together and floated down to Link, filling two of the hollow speres in the vessel of light.
“ I see now…”Link said, feeling the warmth of the light seeping into his skin through his fur, “ So, this is how it’s supposed to work…”
He carried on dispatchign a mutated baba plant and a few mutated keese. As he approached the gate leading to Faron Woods he saw and insect scurry under it and out of his immediate reach. For a moment he stepped towards the gate to chase after it, but sensed the presence of others around the area of Coro’s house so he headed over that way first.
Clinging to the far side of Coro’s house was another one. Link rammed the wall to dislodge it and caught it in his jaws. Another tear filled the vessel.
He still sensed the presence of more bugs though so he started searching for a way inside in case that was where they were hiding. Luckily Coro had left the window to his loft open.
“ Hm…Looks like we can get in there!” Midna said, noticing where Link was looking.

Inside the house Link saw a lone spirit huddling in the corner on top of a stack of boxes. It was Coro.
“ Wh-What’s with these bugs? Those things aren’t normal! They’re so big…So weird…So creepy…C’mon, get away, bugs…Sho…Get out of here…”
The bugs shot out from another stack of boxes as if on cue, drawing a shriek of terror from Coro. Link made quick work of them to calm the frightened spirit down.
“ Wh-WHAT?” he stammered, “ They just…died? Oh, boy, I have NO idea what’s going on around here…”
Link felt sympathy for poor Coro. The first time he had been in the twilight he hadn’t had a clue either. He still only had a vague idea of what was going on, but at least he knew and understood more than the spirits here did.
His business concluded Link left the house the same way that he had come and carried on tho the insect he had seen scitter under the fence.
Luckly enough the insect hadn’t thought to move from what it thought was a relatively safe place to be. It had even found itself a little friend so Link was able to take care of two insects at the same time. He waited until the tears had been absorbed by the vessel then went into the cave.

“ I wasn’t expecting that,”Link said, noticing that the braziers he had lit when he’d gone o save Talo were still lit.
He didn’t sense any insects in the cave so he proceeded through as quickly as he could without paying much attention to the monsters that looked his way.

He had thought that he would simply walk across the forest floor in search of the insects that he sensed, but soon saw that it would be impossible. The entire floor of the forest was covered in a sinister purple mist that hissed and sizzled when he stepped near it.
“ I am not walking through that,”Link said, turning his nose up at the smell of the stuff.
He paced trying to find some way where he could cross safely. Not far from the far left side of where the mist stopped he saw a stump sticking out that he might mbe able to jump to. He geared himself up for the jump but stopped himself just in time. There was a scraping noise coming from behind him.
Two insects were scuttling along the rock wall beside him, oblivious to his presence. Growling he knocked them down and took care of them.
That done he went back to the stump he had seen.
“ Hey…” Midna said, “ Think we can get across over here?”
“ Yep.”
She helped him make the jump, which was a good thing because he saw that he wouldn’t have been able to make the second jump from the stump to land again by himself. There wasn’t another place to jump down here so he had to head up the slope to see if there was another way higher up.
Sure enough there was, but he was going to need Midna’s help to reach it. She was more than willing to do so. In the hollow of a great tree that Link had never before known was there they found three more of the shadow insects.
With no more insects to be sense this far up in the trees he had Midna help him get back down to the solid ground on the other side. Along the way he nearly got clipped by a boulder that was swinging back and forth by a vine between one of the gaps.
Nonetheless he made it back nown safely. He was startled however when something invisible kicked up some dirt and buried itself underground in a flurry of gravel and purple sparks.
“Oh, the insects,”he said, realizing what they were and running over to dig them out.
With another two tears collected he moved on and ran smack into another field fenced in and infested by the shadow beasts. He wasn’t worried about dispatching them all together this time now that he knew how it was to be done.
Midna grinned as she extended the field around them and helped Link take care of the creatures. He was turning out to be much more useful to her than she had originally anticipated.
“ Only two more left…”Link said, moving on. He knew this because he had noticed how many spheres he’d needed to fill and had been keeping count of how many insects he had taken care of.
At the exact same place where Talo and the monkey had been held captive by the bokoblins he found the last two insects along with the spirit of the monkey cowering in fear atop of a pedestal. They didn’t even put up that much of a fight. Link didn’t collect the light that they released right away. He wanted to hear if the monkey’s spirit had anything worth while to say before he did.
“ Someone…Someone helped me?”the monkey said, warily looking around and sighing in relief, “ Boy, lucky for me…Ever since the boss went funny in the head, there’ve been scary monsters everywhere…Those village kids got led through the woods for some reason…”
“ So they were led through here…”
Link said, glad that he had decided to listen in.
“ The whole forest is so weird now…What’s happened?”
Link felt sorry for her. Even the animals had no idea what was going on and were suffering because of it.
He collected the last two tears and flet the power of the light pulsate around his neck. There was a flash of light and he found himself back at the spirit’s spring in an instant.
The Vessel of Light detatched itself from his neck and curled in on itself as it floated into the spring. Twilight vanished like a bad dream and daylight flooded the area once more.
“ Aww,” Midna whined, a phantom once more as she skipped across the water of the spirit’s spring, “ but it was so nice here in the twilight…What’s so great about a world of light anyway?”
Link was about to open his mouth to explain to her why he liked his world like this so much better when she cut him off.
“ Eee hee hee! See you later!” she giggled dissapearing.
Just like when Ordoan appeared the water glowed and a sphere of light rose up into the air. This time a radiant monkey appeared holding the light close to it protectivly as its tail looped all the way around its body and the light in a circle.
“ My name is Faron,” it said, “ I am one of the spirits of light who dwell in Hyrule. By the order of the gods, I protect this forest. O brave youth…In the land covered in twilight, where people roam as spirits, you were transformed into a blue-eyed beast…That was a sign...”
Finally…Link thought, I might actually get some solid answers now.
“ It was a sign that the powers of the chosen one rest within you…and that they are awakening. Look at your awakened form…”
Link had been listening intently to what Faron had been saying so he hadn’t noticed that everything was back in the perspective that it had been before he was turned into a wolf. Normal. He looked over himself gasping in surprise.
“ What in the name of the gods…”
He was no longer wearing the traditional garb of Ordon. Now he was wearing a forest green tunic and matching green cap, a white long-sleeved undershirt and leggings, sturdy leather boots and gloves, an actual belt with two pouches on it for carrying items, and a simple shirt of chain mail the length of his tunic sandwiched between the tunic and the undershirt. The sword and shield he had acquired for Midna were slung across his back and ready for use.
“ The green tunic that is your garb once belonged to the ancient hero chosen by the gods…His power is yours. His is the true power that slept within you. Your name is Link. You are the hero chosen by the gods.”
“ Chosen by the gods…” Link whispered in disbelief, “ Me…”
“ Brave Link…A dark power rests in the temple deep within these woods. It is a forbidden power. Long, long ago, I and the other spirits of light locked it away. Because of its nature, it is a power that should never be touched by any who dwell in the light. But this world weeps beneath a mantle of shadow, and so there is no choice…You must match the power of the king of shadows. If you would seek this forbidden power, then proceed to the temple in the forest depths.”
Faron said this and vanished into a shower of glowing sparks, leaving Link standing alone in its spring.
He held his left hand up to the light and flipped it over so that he was looking at the back of it, but his new gloves covered up the mark of the triforce on it.