Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess ❯ Secret of the Fused Shadows ( Chapter 17 )

[ A - All Readers ]
A.N. Finally!!! I have more free time to write! For those of you that have played the game you should know how dark the vision Lanaryu shows to Link is. Honestly the first time I saw it I had goose bumps, no lie. Which is why this has its own chapter, because it’s so heavy; maybe if it wasn’t I would’ve tacked it to the end of 16. But like I said, something this powerful deserves to stand alone.
I don’t own Zelda no matter how much I may wish otherwise.
Chapter 17: Secret of the Fused Shadows
As soon as he materialized at the lake again Link noticed the telltale sparks of an insect in the water. Growling low in the back of his throat he jumped into the water and swam out to the floating driftwood. Strangely though the insect was nowhere to be seen.
Link looked all around, concentrating hard so that he would be sure not to let the creature escape him. Suddenly the thing rose up out of the water in a shower of sparks and spray, snapping its massive pincers menacingly at Link.
It was far larger than the other insects he had encountered, easily 3 times the size that he was. But he was used to fighting enemies that were bigger than he was in this form so he only growled back at it and started his attack.
The creature was strong however and it wasn’t until he was able to stun it so that it floated on its back in the water was he able to do it serious harm. He bit and tore at the soft flesh of its stomach with his teeth and claws until it knocked him off and rose squealing into the air before dissipating into nothingness.
After it was gone the tear of light that it had been holding floated serenely down and took its place in the vessel of light. Instantly Link was warped the short distance to the spirit’s spring.
The gathered tears floated into the water of the spirit’s spring and light was restored as Link resumed his human form once again.
“You make sure to find that last Fused Shadow, now!” Midna said, floating inches from his face, “Eee hee! See you later!”
As soon as she was gone the orb of Lanaryu’s light floated up out of the water, but Lanaryu itself didn’t materialize around it like to others had. Link was beginning to wonder if it was going to appear at all when a large golden snake shot out of the water and grabbed the orb in its jaws. Link jumped back slightly, startled by Lanaryu’s sudden appearance. With the orb still in its mouth Lanaryu flipped over into the water and swam around the circumference of the spring until its coils filled the water before rising to face Link once more.
“My name is Lanaryu,” it said, its head swaying back and forth hypnotically, “Your efforts have at last restored each of us light spirits in Hyrule. O hero chosen by the gods…the dark power that you seek…It waits in a temple set in the bed of Lake Hylia…But before seeking it, you must now bear witness to something…and never forget it. You must know that it was the will of the goddesses that we lock away the forbidden power…”
The hypnotic sway of Lanaryu’s head seemed to drag him down; deep into the depths of a vision. His eyelids grew heavy and he began to see something that he would never forget.
He was floating through darkness deeper than the cloudiest night or unlit cave, but somehow he could still see himself. He was dressed in his old clothes from Ordon.
“When all was chaos, the goddesses descended and gave order and life to the world,” Lanaryu said, its voice echoing eerily, “They granted power equally to all who dwelt in the light, and then returned to the heavens.”
As it spoke streaks of red, blue, and green rocketed past him and created the land, sky, and life; the three goddesses Din, Naryu, and Farore. Once that was done their lights gathered together and returned to the heavens leaving the glowing triforce behind to bath the land in its radiant power.
Link stood on the created land, gazing at it with mixed feelings of happiness and content while Ilia stood beside him feeling much the same. They turned to each other and smiled warmly before going back to gazing at the goddesses’ gift.
“These lands became known as the Sacred Realm,” Lanaryu said, a sense of foreboding in its voice, “For ages the people lived at ease content in mind and body. But, soon news of the Sacred Realm spread, and a great battle ensued.”
Ilia, her eyes fogged over and unfocused held a dagger hidden behind her back. Sneering evilly she raised the weapon to stab Link in the back, but stopped short. Gasping in surprise as her dagger went skidding along the ground she stared in disbelief at the sword running through her gut before disappearing. Chuckling evilly to himself Link stuck his sword in the ground before running towards the triforce himself, dressed once again in the clothes of the hero of old.
“Among those living in the light interlopers who excelled at magic appeared, wielding powerful sorcery they tried to establish dominion over the Sacred Realm.”
Link skidded to a halt as three shadow versions of himself with glowing red eyes rose up before him along with some kind of a monument that blocked the glorious triforce from view. Silently they raised their left arms to him, power gathering in the palms of their hands. Link raised his arms to defend himself, but it was no use. Their power hit him head on, utterly destroying him in an instant. He didn’t even have time to scream.
He was one of them now. Laughing and grinning with his companions at what they had just done.
“It was then that the goddesses ordered us 3 light spirits to intervene. We sealed away the great magic those individuals had mastered.”
Link and his companions stopped laughing instantly as three orbs of light floated down from the heavens and forced the monument around the triforce away. When it receded however the triforce itself was also gone. Safely hidden from them and their power. It was then that the power of the light spirits was turned to them. Link and his companions screamed in agony as they too were sealed away.
“You know this magic…It is the dark power you seek, the Fused Shadow.”
Hundreds upon hundreds of Ilias were falling from the sky in front of him, laughing eerily as they plummeted into the endless abyss.
“O hero chosen by the goddesses, beware,” Lanaryu said, deathly serious as images of the Fused Shadow fragments floated around Link’s stupefied face, “Those who do not know the danger of wilding power will, before long, be ruled by it.”
Link snapped out of the vision suddenly, collapsing onto his knees in a cold sweat. Lanaryu was nowhere in sight. Staggering towards the door as he fought to keep his breathing under control Link fought back the horror that invaded his heart and mind.
Lanaryu had deliberately cast him as one of those destroyed and one of the interlopers in the vision on purpose; to force him to realize the severity of the consequences that they had suffered. To know what could happen should he forget what the Fused Shadows were or who he was.
He didn’t make it out of the spirits spring cave. Collapsing in a heap just inside the entrance Link succumbed to unconsciousness; too drained from the force of the vision to fight it.