Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess ❯ Saving Prince Ralis ( Chapter 18 )

[ A - All Readers ]
A.N.- Woo-hoo! I’m on a roll with putting out consistent chapters! Yay me! Can’t say when the next chapter will come, but please be patient with me.
I don’t own The Legend of Zelda and I never will, no matter how much I may wish otherwise.
Chapter 18: Saving Prince Ralis
Link awoke slowly, blinking against the bright light that streamed in from outside. He stood up and stretched, feeling refreshed despite the traumatic images Lanaryu had shown to him. Shielding his eyes as he walked outside he looked around for some way out of the lake basin. With people coming and going to see the spirit so often there had to be some way, but he couldn’t see it. Unless of course it had been destroyed during the time when Twilight had covered the land.
He spotted the old man he had seen when he was a wolf farther out in the lake standing just outside of his strangely decorated hut.
“Maybe he knows how to get up,” he whispered to himself, walking towards the man.
As he got closer he could overhear him talking to himself, completely oblivious to his approach.
“Hurrum? Some of the Zoras are still alive down under there? I thought maybe they dried up with the lake…” he said, looking up from the water for a moment as he finally noticed Link striding towards him, “Hey, buddy, have you heard? There’s like a temple or something at the bottom of the Lake.” Link came and stood next to him, looking down into the water at the Zoras swimming around effortlessly near the bottom. “They put on such airs with all their rituals and fancy temple ho-ha…Then they just disappear…And what’s with putting that temple so deep that humans can’t swim there?! I swear those Zoras…”
Link ignored the man’s rambling for the most part, focusing instead on where the majority of the Zoras were gathered. He could just barely see carved pillars and some form of a door inside a deep pit. If he tried to dive down and reach it he would drown before he even made it a quarter of the way. Sighing he turned to ask the man his question.
“Excuse me,” he said, pointing to above the cliffs, “But would you happen to know how I could get back up there?”
“Oh,…Are you a customer?”
“I don’t-“
“Heh, heh! You are one lucky fella, fella! The HEIGHT of excitement, the THRILL of launching into the heavens, the very PEAK of flying fantastication…It cam be YOURS, fella! For a limited time only, and without waiting in line, it’s a paltry 10 RUPEES!! Whaddaya say, buddy of mine? Wanna give it a shot?”
“Will it get me above the cliffs in one piece?” he asked warily, hesitantly reaching for his wallet.
“Oh, sure. Without a doubt. So, how about it?”
“Sure,” Link said, placing two 5-piece rupees in the man’s hand.
“Thanks, fella! Now if you’ll just step inside,” he said, motioning to a circular opening in his hut, “And ya might wanna brace yourself.”
Looking slightly confused Link stepped into the hut as the door was slammed shut behind him. Once he was inside he began to feel extremely confused. The walls were made of thick metal and there was a circular opening in the roof. As he looked up at the sky Link began to hear music being played, feel the floor beneath him rising up, and smell gunpowder. That’s when he realized that he had just paid to be launched out of a canon.
It went off with a loud bang, sending him flying and screaming through the air. For those few moments he felt afraid and strangely excited. Then he touched down on a springy landing area marked with a bullseye. He sat on the landing square for a few moments, calming the furious beating of his heart, before heading through and out the house it was connected to. Just outside of the house however, Midna stopped him.
“Whoa! That reminds me of something…” she said, “Didn’t the late queen in Zora’s Domain ask you to do something?”
Link was still in a bit of shock from his most recent experience so he could only stare at her blankly.
“She asked us to find her son!” she said, tapping him on the head with her fist, “The one who’s been missing since he headed for Hyrule Castle…I think she said something about granting you some special power if you rescued him? If the final piece of Fused Shadow is on the bottom of Lake Hylia…Then it looks like we’re going to need that ability!”
“Right,” Link said, trotting up the slight hill.
There he was surprised to find Epona waiting for him as if she’d known instinctively where he’d be. He could understand that possibility well enough though; he’d been a beast himself and could relate to how some things were just known. Epona tossed her head impatiently, nudging Link until he climbed up into the saddle and started off towards Hyrule Castle.

It should’ve come as no surprise to him that the Golden Wolf was waiting for him outside of Hyrule Castle’s west gate. Dismounting Epona excitedly he went over to it and was transported to its world.

“We meet again,” the phantom said, human in his own world, “It appears your efforts have begun to return some vigor to Hyrule, but it is far too early to relax. Do you feel ready to earn another hidden skill to steal yourself for the forthcoming battles against more powerful foes?”
“Yes,” Link replied, nodding and drawing his sword.
“Very well…But before we begin, I must test you to ensure you have mastered the last skill I taught you, the shield attack.”
Link effortlessly performed the last technique his undead teacher had taught him, drawing an approving nod.
“Excellent. Very well. My third hidden skill is…The back slice! Let it be hewn into your mind! A mere shield attack is no match for an enemy protected not just by a shield, but by a thick, full-body coat of armor. Such enemies are often focused on guarding against frequent frontal attacks. They often leave their rear unprotected. That is when you roll around you foe and perform a jumping slice.”
Link held perfectly still as he demonstrated for him, felling the rush of air as his teachers sword came up behind him without hitting it’s mark.
“This is the back slice,” he said as Link turned to face him and their struck their swords together, “Now try it!”
It took Link several times to perfect the attack due to the difficulty of it. He just couldn’t seem to be able to get his feet under him at the right moment. But his teacher was patient and guided him through the motions a few more times until he was able to do it on his own.
“Hmm…you carry yourself well. But do not forget the proper timing for swinging your sword while you jump. The third hidden skill, the back slice, has been passed on! There are still four hidden skills for you to learn. Do not neglect your daily sword training between now and the time you come to learn the next skill. May we meet again.”

Shrugging off the dizziness he felt as he woke from his training session Link returned to Epona and took her reigns in his hands. After all there really was no point in riding her into the town when they were only a few steps away. And besides, he remembered seeing a stable here when he was a wolf; perhaps they would let her stay while he took care of things.
Just as he was about to enter the town limits however, the postman came running up to him from within them.
“Mr. Link! WAAAAIT!!” he said, running up to him, “Greetings, Mr. Link! I have come to deliver a letter. There is a letter for you, Link. 2 Letters, in fact!” He handed a very confused Link the letters, saluted him, and started trotting in place. “Well my business is concluded! Onward to mail!”
Shaking his head at the odd man, Link stored the letters away to read later and continued on into the town.
Luckily for him Epona was able to stay in the stables for a donation of 20 rupees. Willingly handing over the money and his beloved horse Link hurried to the place where he remembered having found Ilia.
As he went he noticed how different the town atmosphere was from when he had first been there. People laughed and smiled more, and the fountain in the center of the square sparkled with clear water. It was much better than the gloomy outlook many of the residents had had cloaked in twilight.
Shortly he arrived at the building he was looking for, reading the sign that said Telma’s Bar, and headed inside without knocking.
“That is a Zora child!” the gnarled voice of an old man exclaimed, “This is beyond my expertise! Hmmmph!”
Shoving Link to the side as he headed out, he glared up at him as if daring him to say something before shuffling along on his way. Ilia ran after him, her face creased with worry and concern.
“Doctor, wait!” she pleaded, “If something isn’t done, this child will…”
But it was too late, he was already gone. Hanging her head dejectedly she turned to shuffle back to Prince Ralis’ side. Link reached out for her and even started to call out her name when her eyes met his and he stopped. She stared at him blankly, recognition not showing in the least. Link felt terribly hurt as he let his outstretched arm drop back to his side, not comprehending why she didn’t at least look happy to see him again.
Sitting back down next to the Zora Prince Ilia dropped her face in her hands and began to cry.
“Well, this isn’t good,” the statuesque woman behind her grunted, staring angrily at the closed door, “A human doctor won’t do, huh…” Her eyes flickered as she remembered something and a smile crept across her full lips. “That old coot reminded me, though…I’ve heard of a shaman in Kakariko Village, in the Eldin lands who’s tended Gorons and Zoras.”
Ilia’s sobs slowed and ceased as she jumped up excitedly, fresh hope stirring within her heart.
“Is that true?” she asked, a touch of pleading edging her voice, “Perhaps, if we take him there…”
“Inadvisable!” the captain of the Hyrule soldiers said, banging his spear on the ground as his men gathered around him, “Too dangerous! But we can’t turn a blind eye to a pretty girl in need either. Yes, we’d better escort you! Am I right, boys?!”
His men nodded and they all began shouting and shaking their weapons above their heads in a testosterone driven display of strength. The woman nodded and smiled approvingly before turning back to Ilia, placing her hand comfortingly on her shoulder.
“Well isn’t that nice,” she said, “To reach Kakariko, we’ve got to cross 2 plains that are each infested by dangerous beasts.” Immediately the shouting of the soldiers stopped and they began to quiet down as she continued. “But we will be safe now!”
The woman and Ilia looked back at the soldiers appreciatively, but there was only one left. Seeing that his companions had deserted him he beat a hasty retreat after them, not wanting to put his life on the line. She scowled at him as he ran, placing her hands on her hips and leaning forward as she shouted outside.
“Cowards! Don’t EVER show your faces here again!”
Noticing Link, she straightened her posture, and assumed a more polite tone.
“Oh my! Looks like we’ve got one young swordsman left!”
Link nodded, but didn’t say anything. He knew what was being asked of him, and was more than willing to help.
“And not only that, but it looks like this brave young man will escort us, so get ready to go, honey. Pronto!” she said as Ilia nodded and raced off to the back of the bar to prepare.
Link watched her go with sad eyes, not noticing the approach of the tall woman until she was beside and towering over him.
“You know that girl, don’t you?” she said, though it was more of a statement than a question. Link nodded quietly. “It’s a real shame…She can’t even remember her own name right now. Bless her heart…She found this poor boy collapsed in the road, so she did all she could to save him.” Link smiled to himself, amnesia or not Ilia was still Ilia. “More courage in that girl than in all the soldiers of Hyrule, for sure!” She leaned in close to Link, her finger wagging in warning as she winked. “You lend your strength to her, you hear me?”
“Yes,” he said, smiling and nodding.

By twilight they were ready and looking over at the west bridge that spanned Lake Hylia. Link watched the figure pacing the bridge’s length, recognizing it immediately, but not believing it.
“So you say the bridge to the east has been destroyed, huh?”
“Yes,” Link said, remembering how the forces of twilight had simply lifted out a section of it like it was nothing.
“Then our only action is to cross the bridge to the west,” she said, following Link’s gaze to the figure on the bridge, “You see what that means?” She and Link both looked at each other deathly serious about what lay ahead. “You’ll have to deal with that thing!”
“Don’t worry,” he said, as he climbed into Epona’s saddle and the woman into the driver’s seat of her wagon, “I can take care of that.”
“Th-Thank you so much for this,” Ilia said, leaning her head out of the side of the wagon, “Um, if you don’t mind me asking, what’s your name?”
“Link,” he said, deeply hurt, but understanding the question.
“…Link?!” she said, for an instant sounding as if she had remembered him, “I will never in all my life forget your kindness, Link.”
“Little lady, I think you’d best save your thanks until we’re safe in Kakariko…” she said, turning around in her seat to face them, “This swordsman of ours has fine eyes, honey. They’re proud and wild…like a feral beast.” Link felt himself blush at the irony of her analogy. She didn’t know how accurate that statement was. “We need a beast right now, to keep the true ones at bay. If we make it to Kakariko safely, we’ll just thank him then, OK?”
Nodding Ilia ducked back into the wagon and closed all the openings. The woman however winked at Link and blew him a kiss as they started to get underway.
“You ready to roll, Link?”
“Yes,” he said his eyes hard and focused on the task ahead, and Epona’s reigns in his right hand and his sword in his left.
“You’ve got to protect these young ones all the way to Kakariko!”
Until they reached the bridge there were no monsters, and Link understood why. The thing waiting at the bridge wanted whoever was coming from the castle to himself. As they approached the entrance to the bridge King Bulbin waited at the exit, brandishing his shields to show that he remembered their last encounter.
“Stay back,” Link said, sheathing his sword and readying his bow and arrows.
Nodding the woman halted their wagon and let Link do what he had to do. Knowing that he would need both hands to fight this time he leaned down to Epona and whispered instructions to the intelligent horse.
“I’ll be counting on you girl,” he said, “You know what to do, but be careful.”
Epona snorted and tossed her head, launching into a gallop as Link notched an arrow into place.
King Bulbin laughed, thinking that Link was charging at him with no weapons and urged his own mount in a gallop as well. His laughter ceased however when he saw Link bring his bow to bear. Too late had he noticed before Link let fly and the arrow lodged itself in his collar bone. Howling with pain and rage he took a swing at Link and missed.
Simultaneously the two turned their mounts around and charged each other again. This time King Bulbin raised his shield, prepared for the attack. Changing tactics Link took aim at his opponent’s mount and let fly several times before they were anywhere near each other.
Blind with pain the massive bulbo tosses its head to and fro before crashing into the stone guard wall, throwing his rider over the edge. Seeing something sparkle in the sunlight Link reached out and grabbed it before it could fall. In his hand he had a key.
Remembering how the gates to Kakariko Village had been locked, he hoped that this was the key to them.
“Nice, Honey!” she said, puling up alongside him, “Keep up the good work!”
“Stay close to the wagon,” he whispered to Epona, as he readied his bow.
This was going to be dangerous enough without him fighting in close combat while trying to guard the wagon and its precious cargo. As such it would be better to take out any approaching enemies from a distance.

It had been more difficult than he had even imagined to hold the monsters at bay while the wagon made it’s way through their field.
Followers of King Bulbin had come after them with flaming arrows, trying to light the wagon on fire. Link had pushed himself to take out their mounts before they got anywhere close, knowing that they would then have the advantage of speed since they were riding horses.
There were a few riding archers who only shot normal arrows as well. Link took a few hits from them, using himself as a shield for the wagon. Wincing at the pain he continued to fire off arrows while the woman climbed out of the wagon and unlocked the gate with the key Link had tossed to her.
“Go!” he said, still firing though his fingers were raw.
He stayed until an opportunity presented itself, then lowered his weapon and rushed into the safety of Kakariko village.

Colin had been worried about his injuries, but Link assured him that he was fine before stepping into Eldin’s Spring. He sighed contentedly as the waters soothed and healed his injuries. Even the ancient clothes he wore were mended to perfection. He then joined Colin on the deck outside of the village inn to wait.
“…He has passed through the worst of it,” Renado said, walking out to join them, “As long as he rests, he should recover in due time.”
Colin sighed in relief and looked up at Link, who in turn smiled warmly back at him.
“Do you know the fate of his mother?” Renado asked, wiping Link’s smile cleanly from his face and replacing it with a pained grimace, “Her welfare consumes him. He has been mumbling deliriously about her almost constantly.”
“She…” Link began, but choked, unable to continue as he lowered his saddened gaze to the ground.
“I can see that the knowledge grieves you,” Renado said, nodding in sympathy and understanding, “It must be an awful memory.”
Link nodded silently.
“I’ll stay with him until he’s better!” Colin declared, lifting slightly the somber atmosphere that had settled around them, “No matter how long it takes!”
“Is that so? Thank you Colin,” he said, smiling warmly at the boy.
“Hey, Link, about Ilia…” he said, noticing the pained look her name brought to him, “Is it true, what they say about her?”
“Yes, she has lost her memory, Colin,” Renado said, seeking to spare Link’s torn heart further pain, “and regaining it will be no simple task. But it will be all right, child. If we just give her some time, I am certain that Ilia will find her heart again. So, Colin, I’d like to ask you to stay in this village until then. It is our turn to show the courage that you have already displayed.”
Grinning wide at the important role just given to him Colin rushed back inside to where Ilia and Prince Ralis were. With him gone Renado bowed politely to Link and headed back to his home. Seemingly out of nowhere the woman who had taken care of Ilia was beside him, watching the shaman depart with longing eyes.
“Nice to see there’s still hope here,” she said, not taking her eyes off the departing man, “And it’s always good to see happy results repay your efforts…”
“Most definitely,” Link said, as she turned to face him.
“Those skills of yours…Any chance you’re of the mind to put them to use for Hyrule?” she asked.
Link turned to face her fully, confused by what she was asking. He had already been using his skills for the sake of Hyrule, but there was no way that she could know that.
“What hope there is in our kingdom is frail and dying…but there’s a group trying to do what it can. And I’m a member of that group. Call me Telma,” she said, offering her hand for Link to shake.
“It’s a pleasure to meet you Telma,” he said, surprised by the woman’s firm grasp, “Do you think you’ll need me to escort you back to the town?”
“I may just stay here a bit longer. I’m still worried about Ilia, and…” she said, her eyes trailing Renado. Link followed her gaze and smiled knowingly. “Well, never mind about the rest. Link, I want to see you again at my bar, you hear me?”
She leaned forward as if implying that there would be some sort of punishment involved if he didn’t. Surprised Link could only nod to show that he would try if nothing else.
“The bar is actually a kind of safe house for my friends. There’s a passageway that leads to the castle from in there, as well. If you ever need anything, stop by, I’ll be waiting for you, honey!”
Winking at him, she turned and ran to catch up with Renado. Link watched her go for a moment, utterly confused by her, before turning to head into the inn. Just as his hand rested on the handle however, he felt a strange tingling run up his spine as if someone was watching him. He’d felt this before, as a wolf, when there was a spirit nearby.
Turning around he came face to face with the spirit of the Zora queen, Rutela. Nodding once she motioned for him to follow her.

She led him past Renado’s home and through a graveyard to a headstone with the mark of the Zora tribe on it. Touching it lightly with her spectral hand she caused to vanish and reveal a narrow tunnel to a pool of water on the other side. Crawling through he saw the dead queen floating elegantly by a large headstone.
She waited patiently while he swam across the small pool to the ledge where the headstone was and pulled himself up onto it.
“I am deeply grateful to you for aiding my son in his time of need. You were right to bring him here. Kakariko Village is a sacred place for the Zora people. It is where we take our eternal rest. My husband in life, King Zora, also rests his spirit here,” she said, reverently touching the ornate headstone, “It is no coincidence my son found his salvation in this place…That which I have promised you is within this grave.”
Link watched as the headstone slid back to reveal a narrow cavity. Within was an ancient set of garments similar to the ones he was wearing now, but deep blue, adorned with Zora scales, fin-like shoes, and some sort of a mask attached to the cap. Bending down he lifted them up out of the grave, and handled them with great care.
“During his lifetime, my husband crafted garments specifically for the chosen hero, garments that house the abilities of the Zora,” she said, tracing a glowing hand along the scales woven skillfully into the fabric, “Now at last I can join the Kind in slumber. And yet…My son…He still knows nothing of my death. If you see him again, please pass on this message…Tell him he must not grieve his mother’s passing. Tell him she wanted him to be brave and live on as the King of our people. And…Tell him his mother…loves him without end. Tell him…”
“I will Your Majesty,” Link whispered, as she disappeared and a few tears slid, unchecked, down his cheeks, “I will…”
Link stood at the grave with his head bowed for a few more moments, paying his respects to the queen who had been slaughtered in cold blood, before leaving the graveyard.
“Well, it’s a good thing you found all your friends and picked up that nifty Zora armor…” Midna said, stopping him behind Renado’s house, “But aren’t you forgetting something kind of important? That last Fused Shadow…Remember what Faron the light spirit said…He said you would need the Fused Shadows to defeat the dark overlord Zant and save the world…So even if you go back now with all of the people you saved…The whole tradgedy would just repeat itself…So let’s go get it! We need to go to the temple on the lake bed of Lake Hylia.”
“I know Midna, but I need to rest first,” he said, looking up at her with a haggard expression.
He was spent, emotionally and physically, and she could see that. Nodding, she merged back into his shadow and allowed him to return to the inn for a night of much needed rest.

Link mounted Epona the next day at dawn, fully rested. He left for Lake Hylia before anyone else in the village was even awake to notice he was gone.