Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ To Forge the Master ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
To Forge the Master
Chapter 2

~~~~~
"Some have been thought brave because they were afraid to run away."
~Thomas Fuller (1608 - 1661)


"Any transition serious enough to alter your definition of self will require not just small adjustments in your way of living and thinking but a full-on metamorphosis."
~Martha Beck, O Magazine, Growing Wings, January 2004
~~~~~



Link groaned as the feeling began to seep back into his body. Everything felt numb and tingly, like the time he fallen asleep on his arm. Nevertheless, the feeling quickly faded, and warmth crept back into his veins. Slowly he opened his eyes, half hoping to see his own ceiling and already knowing he would not. At first all he could see were bright spots, like he had been looking at he sun, but they slowly faded away as his eyes adjusted to the strange light.

The room was large, so large, in fact, he could not see the walls and wondered why the high ceiling did not crash down around him. He was sitting on a smooth slab of something. He knew it was not any form of earth or stone he had ever encountered, and it was warm and soft – like a blanket fresh in from the line. The slab was situated in the middle of another, that was the only floor in the room as far as his eyes could see. Everything else fell away into nothingness and darkness. The larger platform was covered completely in what looked like water, but like the slab he sat on, something just was not right about it. Like how it continuously cascaded over the edge, but its level never ebbed.

The only light in the room came from three bright torches. Though, that was hardly a proper description, since none of them even looked like torches should look. First, they were not in ordinary torch stands. Instead, each stand was constructed of fine crystal so that it caught the light and reflected it out in all directions. Next were the ‘flames’ themselves – none were made of fire, nor did they appear to be burning. The one directly in front of him was a bright blood red, casting flashing light as it lashed back and forth. On his left a cerulean light danced lazily on its stand. And to his right a light as green as the forest crackled steadily.

Link took a deep breath as he pushed himself to his feet. It was then he noticed several things. First, the weight in his hand made him look down at that beat-up sword he still held. In the odd light it sparkled, almost dancing, and looked for a moment like it might be of some use. The second, was the scent of the air – or more exactly, the lack thereof. The only smell he could pick up was a faint almost metallic bitter sweetness he could not identify. The last thing was the sound. Like in the temple, he could hear the choir singing. But on top of that was a soft rushing sound, like wind being forced through a canyon, yet the air was still.
“Where am I? And how did I get here?” Link asked the emptiness. He was surprised to hear his voice echo.

“See, I told you he could speak,” a voice quipped. Link jumped and spun around. The room was still as empty as when he woke.

“Kinda jumpy, don’t ya think?” another voice asked with a slight laugh. Link looked left and right, his grip tightening on the sword subconsciously.

“Both of you stop,” a third voice chided. “The poor boy must be so confused.”

“Who’s there?” Link asked, spinning around again and raising the sword.

“See! See! I told you! He’s perfect!” the first voice chirped happily.

“I don’t know...” the second voice drawled. “I still say he’s jumpy.”

Link looked around desperately. But the room remained unchanged. “I’ve lost my mind,” he whispered to himself, holding the sword out towards the darkness. “I must have.”

“Now, now, child,” the third voice soothed. Link spun again and leveled the sword in the direction of the voice. He found himself staring at the blue light. “There’s no reason to be afraid. You are safe here.”

“Who are you? Where are you?” he yelled back.

“Well, we can see why Farore choose you and not Nayru,” the second voice said dully. “Personally, I would have gone for someone a bit more muscular. He’s a bit thin if you ask me.”

“You would, Din,” the first voice shot back.

“Farore, please. This isn’t the time for another... discussion. There are more important matters at hand,” the third voice said wearily.

“Yes, Nayru,” Din said sarcastically. Nayru sighed.

Link felt like all the blood in his body had suddenly drained out of him. He knew those names all too well. But surely they could not be the Goddesses. Goddesses talked to priests like Rauru, or Kings like Savas, or princesses like Zelda, not to stable boys like him. Even the weird guy in blue looked more promising. What could they possibly want with him?

“Sisters!” The blue light flickered in reflection of the irritation in Nayru’s disembodied voice. “Time is short. Let us move on.”

“Fine,” Din surrendered, her red flame settling a bit, almost looking like it was sulking.

“Goodie!” The green light bounced a bit with Farore’s exclamation. “Now, what’s your name?”

Link turned towards the green light, feeling dazed and awkward. How was he supposed to answer a Goddess? Lady or Highness seemed too lowly, too common. But no other word seemed right, either.

“Come, come,” Nayru said behind him. “We haven’t got all day.”

“Li-link, my name is Link... ma’am.” Link tried not to slap himself in the forehead for such poor manners. Surely they would smite him any time now. The voices giggled and he blushed involuntarily.

“Cute,” Din snorted.

“See,” Farore answered. “I knew what I was doing. He’s got courage to spare.”

“Sure, sure,” Din replied. “I still say he’s too skinny.”

“Girls...” Nayru sighed.

“Sorry,” Farore pipped. “Anyway, Link was it? Let’s not worry about formalities; we are in kind of a hurry.”

“Um... okay...” Link answered unintelligently.

“Good! Now, I know you’ve been filled in on what’s happening. So, here’s the short version. We are the Goddesses of Hyrule, well sort of, you see–”

“Don’t confuse him with the details right now. There will be time for that later,” Nayru cut her off. Din snorted and Farore giggled. “You know what I meant!” Nayru huffed. “Link, we have chosen you to be the Hero of Hyrule. You will be acting on our behalf.”

“But... what can I do?” Link asked helplessly. “I’m no one special.”

“It is too complicated to explain now,” Nayru said patiently. “Just trust us that you will understand when the time comes.”

“Of course,” Link replied, trying not to sound incredulous. “But...um... Lady Nayru, how am I supposed to stop this evil? I barely know how to use a sword and I’ve only ever killed a skulkid or two.

“There is more to being a Hero than swordsmanship,” Nayru answered with a sigh. “That said, you will have to learn.”

“And fast,” Din added.
“But you have the sword,” Farore encouraged. “And it will lead you true.” Din made a gagging sound.

Link lifted the sword, almost surprised he was still holding it. Even in the surreal light, it was badly rusted, with several chips in the edges. The leather around the hilt was frayed, and the pummel had a crack in it. It looked like one good swing would be its last.

“With this sword?” he asked dubiously. The chamber filled with peals of laughter and the lights danced in delight.

“Please!” Din choked. “We want courage, not stupidity.”

“That was just one of my tests,” Farore answered. “Your real sword awaits you back in the temple.”

“But do not be fooled, young Hero,” Nayru warned. “The sword is not yet ready for its final task. First, you must seek out the spirit of the forest.” Her voice bubbled and wavered as the same bright blue light surrounded him again. The room faded from sight, with the three lights being the last to vanish. The floor fell away and a strange dizziness took over his mind.

When his feet found ground again, he staggered, dropping the sword with a clatter. A strong pair of hands grabbed his shoulders, steadying him until he could regain his footing. Slowly he opened his eyes to see the checkered white and black marble floor of the temple. The softly singing choir drifted into his mind again. Strangely, they sounded different. Before they had been like a soft breeze in the background, now their single voice rang in his ears with alarming clarity.

“Are you all right, young one?” Rauru’s voice was as gentle as ever.

“Yeah, yeah,” Link answered vaguely as he righted himself. “I’m fine. I just don’t feel too well.”

“Such things are expected,” The priest replied, “when one speaks with the Goddesses. Don’t forget your sword.”

Link blinked at him then looked down. He fully expected to see the rusty, beat up sword from before. Instead, he saw a weapon that looked fresh from the forge. Its sleek blade had an almost glass-like reflection, causing it to flash in the temple light as he moved. The hilt, pommel, and guard were the same amazing blue as the light that had surrounded him only moments ago. Still it did not look all that special – fancy, but not blessed.

Reaching out, he took the sword in to his hand. In an instant the dizziness faded. He was surprised by how light the sword was. Three and a half feet of metal, but it could not have weighed more than a few pounds.

“All else you need is waiting for you in the temple proper,” Rauru said, as he ushered Link out of the back room before the boy could ask any questions. The farm boy soon found himself standing before the temple altar. On it lay a scabbard of the same bright blue as the sword hilt, overlaid with fine gold, a shield that looked very heavy, and a bulging bag.

Link stood there for a long time, staring at the items. Slowly he raised the sword to eye level and stared at it. His own blue eyes stared back at him from the flat of the blade. He saw fear, confusion, and then understanding. A wave of nausea hit him like a fist to the gut and his knees buckled.

This had to be a mistake. He could not be a hero chosen by the Goddesses. He was just Link, the farm boy from Lon Lon ranch. He was supposed to go home this afternoon, and go on with his quiet, uneventful life. He wanted to grow old and die in his bed surrounded by his children, not young and alone on some nameless battlefield.

The sword still gripped in his hand sent a tingle up his arm that jerked him from his revelation. He stared at it and it pulsed again. His eyebrows drew together and a frown tugged at his lips.

With a shake of his head, he pushed himself to his feet. What he needed right now was to think, and for that he need some space – preferably without a choir singing around him. Jamming the sword into the scabbard, he slung it and the bag unceremoniously over one shoulder and grabbed the shield in the other hand. He grunted as he lifted it from the altar, it was every bit as heavy as it looked. He heaved the slab of wood and metal as best he could and walked out of the temple.

The sunlight dazzled him for a moment, forcing him to stop at the temple door until his eyes adjusted. When his eyes cleared, he found himself looking down on the group gathered before the temple. Several people stared at him in wonder, shock, or surprise. Zelda smiled at him approvingly. The man in blue and white had a single eyebrow raised and Savas turned to speak with one of his female guards.

Link decided that, no matter what they had planned, he was not going to stick around for it. Without a word, he marched down the steps, past the gathered people, and took his horse’s reins from one of the waiting guards. He heaved himself onto the horse’s back, with more difficulty than usual, thanks to his new gear, and urged the horse forward.

“I knew it.” Zelda smiled. “Just like in my dream. He has accepted his duties and is on his way.”

&&&

The horse’s hooves clopped rhythmically against the cobblestone streets. People scurried out of his way as he galloped through town, many shouted opinions of his character as he passed. It did not matter; he just had to get away. The walls of the town felt like they were closing in on him. Surely, once he got beyond the gates it would all be okay. There he could breathe. There he could think.
The hollow drum of hoof on wood told him he had crossed the drawbridge. He reined in his horse and began gulping down the fresh air. It did little to calm his nerves, which were starting to make him nauseous again. He slid off the horse’s back, determined to walk it off. But the more he tried to ignore the feeling, the more he thought about what was causing it.

Me? The Hero of Hyrule. That’s impossible! I’m not a hero. What kind of hero gets ill after being told to save the world? Any of those other people would have been better. Even the weirdo in the funny blue and white suit would do a better job! This has to be some sort of sick joke. That’s it, that’s all it is. A bunch of spoiled rich kids playing a prank on a stupid farm boy.
But the princesses had better things to do than play pranks...

The sound of hooves coming his way drew him from his thoughts. Looking over his shoulder he saw a horse and rider racing over the draw bridge and towards him. He paused to watch as the figure rode closer at breakneck speed. The heavy draft horse, the breed favored by most Hyrulians for its strength, flashed a bright blue-grey in the sun and Link squinted to make out the rider. When he caught sight of the man in blue he raised an eyebrow.

The horse came to a sliding stop next to him and the man jumped down with almost acrobatic grace. His green eyes were calm behind his black hair, but his body was tense. Link stared back at him, unblinking.

“So,” the man said slowly. “You are the Hero of Hyrule? You’re just a kid.”

“Sorry to disappoint,” Link huffed and began walking again. He frowned when the man and his horse fell into step with him. They walked in silence for several minutes, Link doing his best to ignore the other. But it did not take long for his frustration to boil over. “Is there a reason you’re following me?” he snapped, tossing a glare over his shoulder.

The other man shrugged, folding his hands behind his head and watching a passing bird. “You’re the Hero of Hyrule. I figure wherever you’re going has got to be more exciting than Castle Town.” He paused, watching the bird as it circled back, “Where are we going anyway?”

I am going home,” Link snapped.

“Good plan.” The other man nodded. “Need to stock up on supplies.” Link ground his teeth together, ready to give the man a piece of his mind. “You know we are being followed, right?” The man cut him off.

“What?” Link asked, blinking in surprise and confusion. “By who? How can you tell?”

The man in blue pointed up, following the circling bird with his finger. “That’s a falcon, trained one I’ll bet. They don’t normally circle like that.” Link looked up. Sure enough, the falcon was circling above them.

“It probably just caught an updraft.” Link shrugged. The man leveled him with a calculating look, then shaded his eyes and looked back up at the sky. Link kept walking, hoping the other man would not follow.

No such luck. The man in blue hurried to catch up only a moment later. “Well, you’re the Hero. If you say so, who am I to disagree?”

“Whatever,” Link huffed. Silence stretched between them, leaving only the sounds of Hyrule field and the horses’ hooves. Overhead the falcon screamed.

“So...” the other man asked after a while. “Do you want me to call you Hero or do you have a name?”
“Link. You?” Link grunted grudgingly, accepting that the man was not going to take the hint.

“Sheik.” The man in blue shrugged, turning his eyes heavenward again. “And the horse is Blu.”

“That’s... different,” Link replied, trying to remember his manners. Sheik grunted. “Where do you hail from?”

“Nowhere really, but I was raised in Kakariko if that’s what you’re asking.” Silence fell again. The wind kicked up and swept across the field, bending the grass as it went. The horses nickered and overhead the falcon cried again. Link’s stomach grumbled. Looking skyward he guessed it was almost an hour past noon.

Taking advantage of a nearby tree, he pulled his horse to a stop and dug into his saddlebag. Sheik stopped as well, tying his horse to a low branch before going to his own saddlebag. Link pulled out the last of his food – one apple, a third of a loaf of bread, and a wedge of cheese – and sighed. He had meant to buy more for his return journey before he left, but in his rush and confusion it had slipped his mind.

Annoyed, he weighed his options. He could go back to restock and lose a whole day’s travel; he could eat what he had and skip the next three meals until he reached home; or he could stretch what he had over four meals. He did not fancy being hungry, but he hated having to double back. Cursing himself, he shoved the apple and cheese back into the saddle bag. They would keep better than the already two-day-old bread.

He flopped down against the tree trunk, his sour mood firmly back in place, and watched his horse as it wandered a few paces to nibble the grass. The bread was hard and stale, and sucked his mouth dry as raked its way down his throat. He grumbled as he realized he was low on water as well.

“Aren’t you worried your horse will run off?” Sheik asked, sitting down beside him.

Link shook his head as he swallowed roughly. “Nope. First thing they learn as foals is to come when called.” He reached into his shirt and pulled out a small reed pipe. He blew a short tune and the horse came trotting straight back. Link smiled and gave the horse a gentle pat on the neck when it lowered its head to him.

“So, you are Lon’s boy. I thought you looked familiar,” A deep voice rumbled from behind them. In a flash, Sheik was on his feet, a pair of thin blades in hands. Link reacted with less enthusiasm, merely looking over his shoulder in curiosity.

The man behind them was tall, with broad shoulders. His skin was a deep tan, a sharp contrast to his flaming red hair. His features were sharp, made more pronounced by the sun at his back, with a large nose, heavy cheekbones, and piercing red eyes. A falcon was resting on his shoulder. He was dressed in blood-red and black leather. Behind him five women, all with similar features but of lighter build, stood silently. Their hands rested on the scimitars resting on each hip, while their eyes stayed trained on the blades in Sheik’s hands.

“I’m sorry.” Link swallowed the last bite of his dry bread. “Have we met?”

“Not directly.” He gave a dramatic bow. “I am Savas, King of the Gerudo tribe. It is an honor to meet you Hero of Hyrule, chosen one of the Goddesses.”

Link frowned and rolled his eyes. “Just call me Link.”

“As you wish.” Savas bowed again.

“Can we help you with something?” Sheik cut in irritably as he shoved his sword back into its sheath. The five women behind Savas all sneered at him.

“You will speak with respect to our king,” one of the Gerudo women hissed through her teeth. Sheik looked unimpressed.

“The Hero and I are very busy. State your business and move along.”

Link rolled his eyes. The whole kingdom probably knew about his ‘destiny’ by now. He lifted his eyes to watch his horse grazing nearby. The hilt of the sword was peeking out of the saddlebag where he had stuffed it and the shield hung heavily from the saddle horn. Both gleamed unnaturally bright in the sunlight. They were almost hypnotizing. Before he could think twice, he had closed the distance between himself and the sword. His hand wrapped around the hilt and he pulled.

The sword slid effortlessly from its sheath. Link studied it carefully. The blade was silky smooth and polished like a mirror. He could even see the reflection of King Savas and Sheik back at the tree as they argued about something. The hilt was covered in supple leather and finely crafted. It was comfortable, almost as if it was made to fit his hand alone. He studied it as he would appraise a stallion for breeding; still he found it wholly unremarkable.

“Good lad!” Savas clapped him on the back with enough force to knock the breath from his lungs. “I knew you’d be up for it.”

“We don’t have time for this,” Sheik grumbled, crossing his arms. The female Gerudos had him surrounded and were fingering their swords dangerously.

“Nonsense!” Savas smiled as he pulled an enormous sword from the sheath on his back. “There is always time for a friendly spar.”

Link blinked in confusion for a moment, then his eyes fell on the two swords. His eyes widened and he could feel the blood draining from his face. Quickly he sized the Gerudo king up again. Savas was easily twice his size, maybe more. Unlike the female Gerudo’s almost delicate-looking twin blades, their King’s single sword was a heavy broadsword – as wide as Link’s shoulders and almost as long as he was tall. The blade was wide and flat at the end, forming an axe head rather then a point.

Savas gave the blade a test swing, sending the huge weapon in an almost graceful arc. Link suddenly felt nauseated and very faint.

“Let us begin.” The King gave his blade a fancy spin and struck a fighting stance.

“Uh... shield.” Link covered and hurried over to his horse, who had seen fit to move away from the very large man with the very large sword. Carefully, he unhooked the shield and fitted it to his arm. Like the sword, aside from its made-for-him fit, there seemed to be nothing particularly magical about it.

He paused and took a deep breath, trying to calm his nerves and keep his lunch down. Savas said it would be a “friendly spar,” surely he would not kill him... on purpose. Gathering his courage and checking his shield again, Link walked back towards the Gerudo king. Savas smiled, his perfect teeth looking almost too bright against his dark skin, and struck a fighting stance. Link mimicked him as best he could, but his sword was far shorter and the shield was already making his arm tired from its weight.

Savas grunted as he swung his huge weapon and Link brought the shield up automatically. There was a deafening clang, a shot of pain, and a rush of wind; then everything went black.

Link opened his eyes, groaned and closed them. Slowly, he opened them again. The blue sky, with its blurry clouds and treetops glared back at him, making his head throb. His shield arm ached from fingertips to shoulder, and even the slightest movement seemed to make it worse. He tried to push himself up with his other arm, only to find his hand still clenched around the hilt of the sword. He opened his hand, the flexed muscles screaming with relief as fresh blood rushed into them. Placing his hand on the ground and tucking his sore arm – he absently noticed the shield had been removed – against his body, he tried to sit up again.

“Easy.” A hand grasped his shoulder and pressed him back to the ground. Sheik leaned into his line of sight, a strange look in his green eyes. “I’ll get you some potion, just lie still.” He disappeared for a minute, returning with a bottle filled with red liquid. “Here, drink.”

With a hand behind his head, Sheik lifted the bottle to his lips. Link obediently drank. The red liquid was spicy, and burned its way down his throat. At the same time he could feel it beginning to work. The muscles in his hand relaxed and the pain in his arm vanished. Sheik pulled the half empty bottle away, corked it, and tucked it into a saddle bag.

As the tingle of the potion’s magic left his body, Link pushed himself to a sitting position, then carefully up to his feet.

“Better?” Sheik asked, eyeing him carefully.

“I think so,” Link replied, patting himself to make sure he still had all his limbs. “Thanks– ” His head snapped back sharply when Sheik’s fist slammed into his jaw. Too surprised to respond, Link staggered back grasping at the wounded area.

“Where the hell do you get off?” Sheik roared, his eyes flashing viciously. “Calling yourself the Hero of Hyrule! This isn’t some joke! We don’t have time for your little games.”

Link glared back, dropping his hand from his sore jaw. “You think I wanted this? Well, sorry to disappoint you, but I don’t! And for the record, I never said I was the Hero of Anything, that was you and everyone else. In fact, if you think you can do so much better, have at it!” He grabbed the sword off the ground and flung it at the other. Sheik dodged instinctively, even though the shot was far too wide for it to be necessary.

Link put two fingers in his mouth and whistled. His horse came running. As the horse flashed past him, he grabbed the saddle and swung himself up. He didn’t look back.

The heavy sound of the horse’s hooves were soothing as the huge draft horse stormed across the plains. All Link could think about was how much he just wanted to be home, curled up in his own bed, and pretend this whole mess never happened. The sound of the horse’s panting reminded him he would never make it before dark. Slowing to a walk, he released the reins, knowing the horse would head towards home.

Rubbing his throbbing jaw, he looked up at the sky. The sun was already getting low and the moon could be seen coming over the mountains. His stomach growled, reminding him again that he did not have enough food. Reaching back into his saddlebag, he fished out the apple and began to eat. It did not last long and he vowed to raid the stores when he got home.

Stretching, he took in his surroundings. To his back, the towers of Hyrule castle reached for the sky, in front, the faint outline of Lon Lon Ranch. In all other directions, there was nothing but grass. If he rode hard all night, he could probably make it home by dawn, but he was tired, as was his horse.

Pulling to a stop, he slid to the ground. Looking around, he saw only one tree within easy walking distance.

“Good job, genius.” He sighed. “Throw away your only protection and run off from the only people traveling with you, so you can be alone, in Hyrule Field, at night.” Hyrule Field had never been the safest place at night and he did not fancy sleeping out in the open unprotected. He had been fortunate enough to travel to Castle Town with several other farmers taking milk, fruits, and other wears to market.

He settled under the lone tree, cuing his horse to lie next to him so he could lean against it for warmth. With only a sliver of a moon cresting the mountains, the night fell into darkness quickly. Despite the cold and the dark, he did not light a fire. The light would attract unwanted attention and he had little wood.

So, wrapping himself in his travel blanket, nestled against his horse’s shoulder, with his stomach reminding him how empty it was, he closed his eyes and tried to get some sleep.

It seemed as if he had just closed his eyes when the most wonderful smell caressed his nose. His stomach roared and he opened his eyes. The bright light of a fire blinded him for a second and he had to blink rapidly to clear his vision. On a spit over the fire, a rabbit roasted, giving off the delicious smell. Across the fire sat Sheik, so still, that had it not been for the white on his strange clothes he would have disappeared completely into the night. His dark hair cast deep shadows across his face. Link could only guess by the lines around his eyes and above the scarf covering the lower half of his face that he was scowling.

“What do you want?” Link growled.

“It’s not about what I want,” Sheik answered flatly, still not moving. “It’s about what the Goddesses want.” Link frowned and began to reply, but his stomach growled again, this time adding a painful twist. Sheik rolled his eyes. “The rabbit isn’t there to be pretty. Eat, before you wake all of Hyrule.”

Link did not wait to be told twice, almost burning his mouth on the food before he thought to let it cool. While he ate, Sheik sat in silence, his critical green eyes taking in everything. When he had picked the last scrap of meat from the bones, Link leaned back against his horse, feeling better than he had all day. Basking in the warmth of the fire and the afterglow of a full stomach, he closed his eyes, ready to go back to sleep.

“You aren’t very smart, are you?” Sheik offered casually. Link’s eyes snapped back open. The other man was still staring at him from across the fire, unmoving.

Link growled. “What is that supposed to mean?”

Sheik leveled him with a flat look, then sighed. “You don’t know me, that food could have easily been poisoned, but you didn’t even stop long enough to think about that. You’re lucky I even found you out here; alone, asleep, and unarmed in the middle of Hyrule Field on an almost moonless night. Exactly how brain dead are you?”

“No one made you come find me,” Link snorted irritably. “Besides you already made your opinion of me clear, so why don’t you fuck off.” Link flopped back down against the horse, which gave a soft whinny in protest, and covered his head with his blanket.

Sheik shifted his glare to the sword lying on the ground. “I hope you’re happy.”

The next morning dawned cold and misty. Link packed up his meager blanket and put out the remains of the fire while his horse found its own breakfast. Sheik produced several strips of dried meat and some bread that Link pointedly refused.

“Here.” Sheik shoved the sword and shield into his arms with enough force that he grabbed them involuntarily as he stumbled backwards for balance. “These belong to you. We had better get moving. We are meeting up with King Savas and the Gerudo tribe.” Sheik pulled himself up onto his horse and turned away.

Link looked down at the heavy objects. His first thought was to just dump them on the ground and leave them. But even as the idea crossed his mind, he pushed it away. If those lights he saw really were the Goddesses, what would they do to him if he forsake their gifts. At least when he tried to give them away they would have gone to good use. With an irritated sigh, he tucked the items into his saddlebags, mounted his horse, and struck out towards home.

&&&

The rest of the journey was made in silence. Savas and his Gerudos kept to themselves, some giving Link strange looks at odd intervals. Sheik was off in his own world, not speaking to anyone unless they spoke to him first, and then it was only clipped answers. Link passed the time trying to convince himself that all these people were not following him home and they would surely turn off at the next fork.

As the ranch loomed into sight late in the afternoon, Link finally resigned himself to the fact they were indeed following him. He ripped a chunk out of a piece of jerky – his empty stomach had once again obliged him to accept the handout from Sheik – and chewed on it in annoyance. There was no good way to explain this to Papa Lon.

A rush of wind battered the right side of his face and a light weight fell on his shoulder. He jumped in surprise, the weight dislodged, screeched, and landed again. Link turned his head and came nose to beak with Savas’s peregrine falcon. The bird stared at him and he stared back, then abruptly, the falcon snatched the remaining jerky from his hand and gulped it down.

“She likes you,” Savas rumbled. Link had to tilt his head forward to see the Gerudo king around the bird. Savas was astride a chestnut stallion. With its long willowy legs, delicate body, and small head, the horse hardly seemed capable of carrying the huge man. Yet, it seemed to float more than walk over the ground. It was not the first time he had seen a Gerudo horse, they had been lodged in the ranch’s stable from time to time. Still, they fascinated him; light, fast, and long winded, they were a stark contrast to the Hyrulian Standard Draft.

“She likes my food,” he replied.

Savas laughed, soft and deep. “She would not take from a hand she did not trust.” Link could think of no reply to that.

It was late afternoon when Link finally crossed the threshold of the ranch; Sheik and Savas followed in his wake while the rest of the Gerudos set up camp outside. It felt good to be home. The high stone walls and heavy rail fences kept the rest of the world at bay while life inside slowed to a crawl. Here he could think and figure a way out of this insane situation.

“Big brother!”

Link looked up to see a five-year-old with a mess of flame-red hair, bouncing in two haphazard braids down her back, running towards him. He smiled, wrapped a leg around the saddle horn, and leaned over backward to snatch the small girl off the ground before curling back up. The child giggled happily as she threw her arms around his neck.

“Did you have fun at the castle, big brother? You were gone a long time. Did you see the princess? Was she pretty? Who are these people? Are they your friends? Are they here to play with me? Why is that man’s horse so skinny? Is it sick? Are you going to make it better? Did you bring me anything from town? Remember, you promised! Can I have it now or do I have to wait till morning?” The girl rattled each question off in quick succession, not giving Link time to answer nor, apparently, herself time to breathe. Link only smiled and patted her head as she rambled.

“Now, Raylon,”a deep crackling voice chided gently. “It’s not fair to ask the boy such questions. You know he can’t answer.” Link looked up and frowned at the elderly man that came shuffling out of the house. He was dressed in a long sleep coat and carrying a lamp in his hand. The light from the lamp threw the wrinkles of his face into deep relief, making his frown looked even darker. Link scowled straight back. “Come, Ray, it’s time for bed.” Link placed the small girl back on the ground and she ran to the older man, who shooed her inside.

“And you, boy.” The man pinned Link with a fierce look, which was returned in a glare. “I don’t know what foolishness you’ve been up to, but if you want any supper tonight you’d better get your chores done. I won’t have any of this lollygagging Halon puts up with. If I had my way you’d be– ”

“Father,” a younger man cut him off. This man had bright red hair and shining blue eyes. His brow was furrowed and his lips tight with exasperation. “This is not the time. We are in the presence of a king.” The older man squinted into the darkness, trying to see.

Savas slid from his horse, and walked towards the two men. “Halon, it has been too long!” He clapped the younger of the two men on the back, causing him to almost fall face first onto the ground. “There is much to talk about, let us go inside.” Halon nodded and led the way into the small farmhouse.

“Boy,” the older man glared back at him. “Take the King’s horse to the stable and see to it. Then there is some wood to be cut in the back. I don’t want my granddaughter catching cold. If you can’t manage even that, it’ll be your hide.” With a final growl, the old man slammed the door shut, leaving Link and Sheik in the fading evening light.

“Well, he seems pleasant,” Sheik huffed. Link let out a noise between a laugh and a snort as he dismounted and took the reins of his and Savas’s horses. Sheik followed with his own horse as Link took the horses to the barn, unsaddled, fed, and watered them; all without a word. He even took care of Sheik’s horse without being asked.

Curious, Sheik continued to follow in silence as Link went to a small shed behind the barn and retrieved an ax. After checking the edge with his thumb, he slung it over his shoulder, slammed the shed door shut, and marched off back around the barn. He continued his trek all the way back around the farmhouse, where they could see Savas and Halon sitting at the kitchen table deep in conversation through one of the large windows. The huge Gerudo King looked almost comical, as he dwarfed most of the furniture.

Link finally stopped outside a heavy wrought iron gate, and leaned his ax against a nearby wall as he fiddled with a loop of chain. The gate swung forward easily with a loud creak and Link grabbed his ax and walked in. Not far from the gate lay a felled tree and its stump. Link grumbled to himself, but set to work cutting the limbs away from the trunk.

He could feel Sheik watching him as he worked, but found he really did not care. All he focused on was the steady swing and chop of the ax. The wood chips scattered in all directions, the heavy thunk resonating around the empty barn yard, the groan of the wood; it was peaceful. It was normal. For the first time in several days he was just himself, doing his chores again. It did not matter that his task was being carefully monitored by a strange man in blue or that the Gerudo king was having tea with his stepfather or that his step-grandfather had decided to show up. All that mattered was that this, in this moment, was normal. He even shed his shirt and let the cool night air brush over his skin.

“Son.”

He had been so intent on his task the sound of his stepfather’s voice startled him. The ax struck left of its target with a loud thunk. Link looked up to see Halon standing a few feet away, a steaming bowl in one hand and a lantern in the other. Sheik was nowhere to be seen.

“You hungry, son?” He offered the bowl. Link nodded and accepted the bowl without a word, sitting on the tree trunk, and began gulping down stew. Halon sat down next to him and looked up at the sky. They sat in silence, except for the occasional scrape of the wooden spoon against the wooden bowl, for a long time. When Link had scraped the last bite from the bottom of the bowl, Halon produced a bottle of milk; which Link greedily sucked down.

Halon chuckled. “Good to see this hasn’t affected your appetite.” He clapped Link on the back and smiled. But the smile faded and the hand slid up to give his shoulder a firm squeeze. “King Savas told me what happened.”

“Figures,” Link grumbled and stared morosely down into his empty bowl as his moments of normal crumbled around him.

“What do you say you and me take a walk.” It was not a question. Link stood, setting his bowl down next to him on the tree and leaving his ax where it lay, and followed his stepfather. They walked about the paddock towards the back of ranch. Here stood the old barn. It had been there as long as Link could remember and it had always been off limits. When he was younger he thought it was because it was unstable, but in recent years that answer had seemed less plausible.

“Link,” Halon’s voice jerked him from his thoughts. The man had stopped and was looking up at the stars that twinkled overhead. “I didn’t expect to have this talk with you so soon, but now is as good a time as any I think.”

Link’s brow furrowed in confusion. “What talk? We already did the birds and the bees thing a few summers back.”

Halon laughed again, turning around and placing his lantern-free hand on Link’s shoulder. It was not often Link was reminded how big his stepfather was. Nearly a full head taller, with broad shoulders and portly belly, Halon was an imposing figure. But his kind smile could set even the most grouchy of people at ease. Now, however, his mouth was set in a half smile that made him look sad.

“Link,” He breathed the name as if it would help gather up his thoughts and steel his courage. “I know I’m not your father.” He held up a hand when Link began to protest. “You are not of my flesh, nor am I of yours. But you are my son and, despite what my father thinks, I am very proud of you. You’ve grown up strong; you take care of your sister, and this farm. You’re respectful, even to those who are not respectful to you,” here he gave a roguish grin. “I couldn’t have asked the Goddesses for more.”

“Papa Lon...”

“Come on, there’s something I want to show you.” Halon turned, keeping one hand on Link’s shoulder, and led him to the door of the old barn. The hinges creaked in the silence of the night. Inside, a number of horses – Hyrulian Drafts, Gerudo Desert, and a breed he did not recognize – all flickered lazy ears and turned half-lidded eyes their way.

Link frowned, studying the unfamiliar breed closely. It was smaller and lighter than the Hyrulian Drafts, but still heavier and stronger-looking than the Desert Horses.

Halon moved down the stalls to the one at the very end. Here stood a horse as black as any Link could ever remember seeing, with a white triangle-shaped mark on its head. The older man laid his hand on the horse’s face, causing it to awaken with a snort and a whinny, then gestured Link closer.

“This is something I’ve been working on for a long time.” He gave the horse another pat. “And this is the result. These guys are going to put Lon Lon Ranch on the map.”
“What are they?” Link asked, stroking the horse’s velvet nose and letting it mouth his fingers. “I’ve never seen this breed before.”

“Course you haven’t, son.” Halon had on a proud grin that showed off most of his teeth. “I created them. In fact, Nightfire here is the first of his kind. They’re a crossbreed of the Hyrulian Drafts and Gerudo Desert Horses – the perfect blend of speed, strength, and endurance.” The man practically swelled with pride as he spoke.

“They’re great, Papa Lon, but why are you showing me this?” Link asked.
Halon’s proud smile faded a bit. “If you go, I want you to take him with you.”

“If?” Link looked up with a raised eyebrow.

“Yeah, if.” Halon nodded. He took Link by the shoulder and guided him back outside. Overhead the stars glittered against the velvet sky. “You’re growing up, son. It won’t be long before I can’t tell you what to do anymore. So I thought I’d start now. This is a big decision, and I want you to think about it long and hard. I won’t tell you what to do.

“But I’ll give you this advice. The Goddesses created Hyrule and all we have is gifted from them. What they have given, they can just as easily take away. But whatever you choose, I’ll stand by you. Good night, son.” With a final pat on the shoulder, Halon turned and walked away into the night. Link stood silently, watching the lantern light bob away.

With a sigh, he let his legs give out and flopped down on the grass. Overhead he could see the Great Horse, the Three Triangles, the Sword, the Shield, and a dozen other constellations. Closing his eyes, he could still remember sitting up late with his mother as she picked each of them out and told him the story behind it.

He took a deep breath and summoned up his courage. “All right. If I am to go on this journey, give me a sign.” He opened his eyes and stared up.

Link was not sure what he was expecting – great explosions of red, blue, and green, the Three Triangles suddenly lighting up and forming the Triforce, or a huge thundering voice speaking in long lost tongues – but he got none of it. The sky remained as silent and unchanged as the heavens had ever been.

“I need to get some sleep,” Link groaned. “I’m losing my mind.”