Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ To Forge the Master ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
To Forge the Master
Chapter 3

~~~~~
“If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way.” ~ Mark Twain

“Learning is not child's play; we cannot learn without pain” ~ Aristotle
~~~~~


“Up, you lazy boy! Up!”

The hammock Link had been sleeping on – since his grandfather had taken over his bedroom, again – suddenly flipped over, dumping him unceremoniously onto the floor. Link glared up at the man, who was holding the edge of the hammock with a satisfied grin on his face. It was all Link could do not to retaliate. “Don’t give me that look, boy. You may be too stupid to talk, but even you understand a good whipping. Now get to your chores, the sun’s almost up! And don’t wake my granddaughter!”

Biting his tongue, Link hauled himself to his feet. The man managed to infuriate him like no other, but the rewards for keeping himself in check far outweighed the frustration. An interesting side effect from the constant biting back of his words had led to the elderly man assuming him dumb. It suited Link just fine.

His hammock had been placed in a corner of the dining room, so he had to walk through the kitchen to get outside. Yawning and stretching, he habitually headed for the barn to feed the livestock before letting them out for the day. With an almost single-minded approach he fed the cuccos, collected the eggs, set out hay, milked the cows and goats, and fed the horses. Then he opened the gates and let them all out into the sunshine, leaving only Sheik and Savas’s horses in their stalls – which they protested loudly.

By the time he had finished, the sun was well into the sky and his stomach was growling for breakfast. So, after making sure all the gates were securely latched, he headed for the house.

“Link!”

He looked up to see Savas striding towards him. The male Gerudo had his usual serious smile and was dressed in rich black clothes and a long flowing cape. His falcon swooped low and alighted in a nearby tree, giving a short cry as it settled down. Link gave him a half smile and a wave.

He nodded and clapped Link on the back with jarring force. “Come. I insist you have breakfast with me.” Before he could protest, Link found himself being pulled along towards the ranch’s main gate. Looking back, he saw his father open the front door and step out onto the porch. Halon spotted them as they rounded the corner and Link saw him shake his head mirthfully before he disappeared from sight.

Link soon found himself inside a large tent. In the center was a fair-sized table, stacked high with roast meat, creamy-looking soup, flat bread, and several other foods Link had never seen. There were three places set, each with a polished silver plate, knife, fork, and golden goblet set with jewels. On each chair a plush pillows covered the seat.

Savas ushered him into one of the chairs and took the seat at the table’s head for himself. A moment later, a hassled and indignant-looking Sheik was shoved into the tent as he tied his scarf haphazardly around his face. His black hair was sleep-tossed and slightly matted. He glared at Savas, then at Link, before he sat himself down with as much dignity as the situation allowed.

A Gerudo woman appeared and quickly filled their glasses with a clear liquid Link guessed to be water. As soon as she was gone, Savas stabbed a piece of meat with his fork and placed it on his plate. Link picked up his fork to follow suit when a small rock clipped him on the ear. Across the table, Sheik glared and gave a sharp shake of his head. Link furrowed his brow in confusion.

Savas, who had not noticed the exchange at all, cut off a chunk of the meat, ate it with gusto, and took a long swig from his goblet. “The food is filling and the drink is sweet. Let us dine to our heart’s content!”

Link raised an eyebrow. Across the table Sheik gave a small nod and began serving himself from the many dishes. Frowning, Link followed suit. The food was nothing like he had ever tasted. The fruits were very juicy and sweet, the bread was kind of chewy, the soup was so thick and rich he had to gulp down water to swallow it, and the meat was as savory as any he had ever eaten. The water – and it was water – had been sweetened with some sort of fruit juice cocktail. No one spoke while they ate, and when Link tried to start a conversation he received a swift kick in the shin courtesy of Sheik.

Finally, Savas pushed his plate back and drained the last of the liquid from his goblet. Sheik and Link soon joined him. Savas clapped his hands and several Gerudo women came in and took the remaining food away, and refilled their goblets with a dark green liquid.

“Now,” the king said, leaning back and looking at Link over his raised goblet, “let us talk. Tell me, when do you leave and what is your heading?”

“Um...” Link answered unintelligently. He had hoped to escape talk of his “destiny” for a few more hours at least. “I’m not sure yet.” He ventured.

“What he means to say,” Sheik cut in, “is there is still a great deal of preparation to be made.”

Savas nodded sagely. “This is true. As the Gerudo say: The kill favors the sharpened sword.” Link made a face and Sheik kicked him in the shin again. “You will let me know if there is anything you need. I have already told my people to help you in anyway possible.”
“Thank you very much.” Link nodded and gave his best smile, even as his insides sank.

“Think nothing of it. Hyrule is home to us all.” The king nodded, turning his eyes on Link with a kindness that belied his culture. “But adventures are for the young, and though I may not look it, I am old enough to be your father’s father.” Slowly he stood. Sheik motioned for Link to remain seated. “A toast, to the Hero of Hyrule,” He lifted his glass, with Sheik and Link following suit. “May Din guide your hand, Nayru guide your mind, and Farore guide your soul. For the road you have chosen is hard, and the way long.”

With that he tilted the cup back and drank it in one gulp. Link did the same – and immediately regretted it. The liquid was bitter, sour, and extremely spicy all at once. His eyes watered, his throat closed, and his gag reflex kicked in. It was only a hard slap on the back from Savas that helped him to choke the concoction down. He could hear Savas laughing and felt Sheik take him by the shoulders to guide him away while saying something to the king over his shoulder.

Link felt dazed and dizzy as he was led to the shade of one of the ranch’s stone walls. The stone felt wonderfully cool against his back. The bright reds and oranges of the Gerudo tents and the deep blue of Sheik’s clothes swam in his vision, and trying to focus only made it worse.

“Here, drink.” Sheik commanded, his voice sounding very far away, but the cool glass of a bottle against his mouth caused him to do as he was told. The liquid was cool and sweet, and rolled down his throat smoothly. He felt a gentle tingle, like butterflies in his stomach, then everything began to still and come back into focus.

“What was that?” Link asked, rubbing his temples to ward off the threatening headache.

“That,” Sheik answered, dropping down onto the grass next to him, “was Green Whisky. While not actually alcoholic, it will knock you off your feet, even if you cut it with water or milk. It’s made from a plant that grows very deep in the desert and is a Gerudo specialty.”

“Nice,” Link groaned. “And what was with the rock throwing and the kicking?”

“Just keeping you from making an ass of yourself.” Sheik shrugged casually. “You can’t afford to make enemies yet, especially powerful ones like the Gerudo.”

“And how exactly would I make enemies over breakfast?” Link was feeling very tired already and the sun had not even reached its peak.

“You really are sheltered, aren’t you? Looks like I’ll have to come with you just so you don’t start a war,” Sheik sighed and rolled his eyes. “Look. The Hyrulians and Gerudo haven’t always been on the best of terms. So it is tradition that whoever is hosting eats and drinks first to show the food and drink isn’t poisoned.”

“Pleasant.” Link sighed and pushed himself to his feet. “I have chores to do.” He turned and walked back to the main gate as Sheik rose and followed in his wake.
“Are you really going to walk away from this?”

“I... Do I even have a choice?” Link huffed. “So far it seems like everyone is telling me to go out and save the world!” He threw up his hands and turned to face the other man. “What I want to know is ‘Why me?’! I’m no one special! I don’t even know how to use a sword. I can’t save the world; I can’t even stand up to my own grandfather.” He turned away and headed for the barn.

“Can’t or won’t?” Sheik called after him.

Link turned back around and frowned. “What do you want from me?”

“Just an answer, and maybe a little backbone,” Sheik replied with a raised eyebrow.

“Well, I–” Whatever Link was going to say was cut off by a sudden blast renting the air. “What was that?”

“Best guess,” Sheik answered, looking over his shoulder back towards the Gerudo camp, “a war horn.” They both stared as several dozen dark shapes spilled over the hill and descended fast. The Gerudo camp came alive in an instant as woman rushed from their tents, twin swords drawn. Savas pushed back his tent flap, his enormous sword in one hand.

“Big brother, what’s happening?” Raylon latched herself onto Link’s leg as Halon and his grandfather came around the corner.

“Sweet Merciful Din...” Halon whispered.

“Inside! Everyone! Now!” Sheik ordered. Link did not hesitate. He grabbed his sister off the ground and ran. Behind them the dark shapes had reached the camp. Link did not dare look back. When they reached the farmhouse, Sheik grabbed Ray from his grasp and shoved her into her father’s arms. The girl screamed, reaching out to him even as Sheik took his arm and yanked him towards the barn.

“What are you doing?!” Link yelled, trying to pull his arm away without success.

We are getting out of here,” Sheik replied as he threw open the doors on Link’s barn. Inside, the three horses all danced in their stalls. Sheik grabbed the door of Savas’s horse and pulled it open. The horse flew out, whinnying.

“What do you mean WE?” Link yelled back, grabbing Sheik’s clothes and forcing him to pay attention. The other man’s eyes narrowed dangerously. Link returned in kind. “Run away if you want, but I’m staying with my family.”

“If you stay they will die,” Sheik growled. “I’d bet my life those things are after you. We don’t have time for me to educate you, but if you want to save your family; get your sword and your horse and let’s get out of here.”
There was a long moment of silence between them, while outside, the horn had given way to loud clashing and yelling. Green eyes met blue and time seemed to stop.

“If you’re wrong...” Link let the threat hang as he released the other man. Sheik pulled open the stall door in front of his horse and threw himself on. Link went to the last horse, Nightfire, grabbed the bag on the floor next to the stall, threw open the door, and jumped on. He wondered only briefly how Nightfire had appeared in the barn and saddled, but then the horse burst forward and the thought was blown from his mind.

The two horses raced out of the barn and turned down towards the main gate. As they passed the farm house, Link took a last fleeting glimpse through the large dining room window. His sister reached out towards him, her bright eyes brimming with tears. His father’s mouth was set in a hard line with just a hint of a proud smile, and his grandfather gave him a famous scowl.

As soon as they were there, they were gone again; and the horses tore towards the main gate. Outside, the scene reminded Link of something out of a nightmare. Most of the colorful red and orange tents had been torn down and trampled. Blood was splattered across the fallen canvas and grass. Gerudo horses darted about in panic. Huge, vaguely human pig-ish creatures, wielding crude spears and swords, charged the Gerudo left and right.

The desert race was holding its own, but they were vastly outnumbered. Link scanned the area quickly for Savas, but the large man was nowhere to be seen.

“Follow me, stay close!” Sheik shouted over the din. Link nodded his understanding. Sheik pulled a thin, single-edged sword from its sheath on his back and charged into the fray, slashing at the pigs as he went. Link followed, maneuvering in the larger horse’s wake.

The going was slow. Sheik wove them around the majority of the fighting. The few pigs that did attack them, did not last long against the older man. Link would have admired his skill if he had not been so busy trying not to get turned around or lost on the battlefield. Every direction looked virtually the same, the ground littered with bodies and splattered with blood. Voices cried in victory or gasped their final breath. The bitter twang of copper and steel made the air heavy.

The sound was awful, like the roar of a bear and the squeal of an angry sow rolled into one. With all the screaming, Link was not sure what about that particular scream drew his attention. It felt like slow motion. His head turned as the pig screamed again and charged. Its huge spear pointed directly at him. Link felt himself grasp blindly for something, anything, to defend himself with, to no avail. He swallowed. There was nowhere to run and no way to hide.

“WIND!”

The pig was suddenly thrown into the air like a rag doll. It flipped and twisted, spinning and kicking in vain as a small tornado lifted it high into the air; all the time screaming with that terrible sound. Then the wind stopped, and the creature plummeted to earth, landing with a sickening crunch.

Link turned to look at Sheik, who still held his hand up, palm out. Before he could say a word, the pigs screamed again. Link spun back around to see a line of them charging his direction. Sheik cursed darkly.

“Where are you going?” Savas’s voice boomed. “Are you cowards who run from the Hero of Hyrule?!” The Gerudo King appeared off to the left. His sword was held at the ready, blood dripping from the axe head tip. The pigs skidded to a stop, changed direction, and charged again. Over their heads, red eyes came up to meet blue and the war hardened mouth formed the word “go.” Link froze, everything telling him to ignore the order and help, yet not knowing how he could. Sheik took the decision out of his hands. Grabbing Nightfire’s reins from Link’s hand, he spurred his horse into a run. Nightfire was forced to follow, Link in tow.

Link looked back, watching in horror as Savas and the Gerudo cut down the first line of pigs, but the rest descended upon them en mass and they were quickly overwhelmed. Very human screams tore the air as the smaller female Gerudo were cast aside and Savas vanished under the many spears and swords.

“We have to go back!” Link grabbed at Nightfire’s reins, but Sheik’s grip was firm. “He’s going to die!” Sheik’s eyes shifted back to look at him. Link swallowed to see how cold they seemed.

“Then let us not waste his sacrifice.”

&&&

Link stared at the fire as it crackled merrily, uncaring that his world was slowly being eaten away like the dry wood that fed its mirth. A few paces away, the horses were happily feasting on grass, and Sheik was cleaning another rabbit he had caught. Link watched without interest as the man in blue put the meat on a spit and left it to cook.

He frowned, watching as the flames slowly turned the edges of the meat brown and the savory smell began to perfume the air. Oddly, despite not having eaten since breakfast, he did not feel hungry. All he could think of was his stepfather, little sister, Savas, and even his grandfather. Were they okay? Had those things even left the ranch standing? Would they ever forgive him for running away and leaving them?

Thwap! Link was yanked violently from his thoughts by something striking his head. Rubbing his skull, he frowned down at the offending object as if it was the cause of all his problems. “Watch where you’re throwing those,” he groused, throwing the stick back at Sheik without really aiming. Thwap! The stick landed across his head again and he growled, glaring at the other man. “I said-”

“I heard you,” Sheik cut him off. “The stick isn’t for the fire, it’s for you.”

Link picked it up and turned it over in his hands, unimpressed. “Oh, goody. I’ve lost everything, but you’ve seen fit to grant me a stick. Now I may yet go out a rebuild my life.”
“Be a smartass on your own time,” Sheik snorted. He picked up another stick by one end and jumped across the fire, pointing the other end at Link. “Right now, your ass is mine.” Swoosh! The stick whipped through the air.
“Hey!” Link barely dodged and scurried out of the other man’s way. “Have you lost your mind? Someone could lose an eye!”

Sheik took another swing at him, catching his shoulder with a dull slap. “I’m better than that. Now pick up your stick and fight!”

“You have lost your mind!” Link repeated, dodging under another swing and scrambling around the fire to escape.

“Well I’m not going to teach you swordplay with real swords,” Sheik laughed, jumping over the fire after him. “Someone could end up dead by accident. Now pick up your stick and fight!”

Link was not fast enough to avoid the swat to the back of his legs as he slipped on the fine grass trying to get out of Sheik’s range. The other man seemed to find the entire display far too funny, even getting in an extra swing to his butt before Link managed to find his feet.

Link snatched the stick from where he had left it on the ground and quickly turned to face the man in blue, raising it to block – only to receive a none-too-gentle jab to the stomach. He let out a loud “oomph” and doubled over with a hand clutching the bruised spot. He yelped and grabbed his skull when Sheik’s stick smacked the exposed back of his head.

“Boy, when you said you’d never used a sword before in your life, you weren’t kidding. You stink,” Sheik laughed.

“Gee, thanks,” Link grumbled, rubbing the back of his head as he reached for the stick he’d dropped a moment before. In one swift motion he swung at Sheik’s legs. The other snorted, easily jumping the swing, and pushed Link head first onto the ground thanks to his off balance stance.

“Is that all you’ve got?” Sheik jabbed as he leaped away, giving Link room to find his feet again. “Some Hero you’re going to make.” Link growled. Sheik laughed. “Oooh, I’m scared now. Is da widdle hero gonna hurt me width his big bad sticky?”

Link lunged. Sheik smirked and jumped, doing a complete flip over Link’s head and landing in a crouch. Link scrambled to turn around, but Sheik was faster. In a flash, he had struck out one leg and Link found himself flat on his back.

“Ow,” he groaned.

“Come on then, don’t tell me that’s all you’ve got,” Sheik teased, leaning over Link’s prone form with a grin that could be seen over the edge of his scarf. Link glared back.

“I hate you.”

“Good. You should,” Sheik said pleasantly. “Now, on your feet, Hero! I haven’t even broken a sweat yet.”

&&&


“That... is really sad,” Din said dully as she looked into the glassy surface of the water. Below, Link was desperately trying to land a hit with his stick, while Sheik was laughing and alternatively easily dancing out of his reach or knocking him to the ground.

“Well, he’s trying at least,” Farore offered as she peered anxiously over the edge of the water as well. She winced when Sheik scored another hit to Link’s gut. “See, no matter how many times he gets knocked down, he keeps getting back up!”

“There is a fine line between courage and stupidity,” Din snipped.

“Girls...” Nayru sighed. “Let us focus on the issue at hand.”

“I still don’t see what was wrong with that Gerudo king,” Din continued unheeded. “Or even this Sheik guy would have been better. I just don’t see what’s so great about this little farm boy.”

“You wouldn’t,” Farore huffed, still watching as Link struggled to get back to his feet.

“It’s a moot point,” Nayru cut off whatever Din would say. The younger goddess frowned but closed her mouth. “The choice has been made and it cannot be changed. We must focus on the future.”

“Well, short of divine intervention, this kid hasn’t got a prayer.” Din turned away from the water. Nayru frowned and Farore rolled her eyes. The remaining two sat in silence, watching the lesson – if the beating the younger man was taking could even be called that. Nayru looked impassive, but a slight frown tugged at the edge of her mouth. Farore’s eyes watched each movement, each detail, as if trying to commit it to memory.

“Was I wrong?” Farore asked, her voice soft, her eyes still on the young man as Sheik finally abated his attack and called for a rest. Link flopped down next to the fire, exhausted. “Is Din right? Is he not the right person for this?”

Nayru smiled softly at her younger sister. “Din sees life through different eyes; she can see the strength in people, be it physical or spiritual. But you are the one that gave them a soul, only you know what they truly are. I trust your judgment, and so does Din, even if she does not show it.”

Farore nodded and gave the elder Goddess a weak smile.
&&&

Link gulped down the water greedily, ignoring Sheik’s continued chuckles. The little swordplay lesson had left him bruised, sweaty, and tired. To make matters worse, Sheik had dodged, parried, and outmaneuvered him at every turn, all while laughing. It was infuriating.

“Here,” Sheik said, smiling behind the scarf covering his face, as he handed Link his dinner and half a bottle of red potion. “Some of those are going to hurt in the morning.

“They hurt now,” Link snapped, snatching the bottle from his hand. Sheik laughed again.

“You may not believe this,” the older man said as he settled onto the grass. “But you’ll thank me later. Better a few bruises from a stick than becoming something’s dinner.” Link chose not to reply and instead dug into his food, his appetite having returned full force. Sheik shook his head and began to eat as well. They sat together as the sun sank below the horizon and the stars began to appear, both lost in their own thoughts.

When they had eaten their fill, Sheik wrapped the leftovers in a piece of cloth and tucked it away in one of the saddlebags. Link leaned back against a tree and closed his eyes. The warmth of the fire crept over him, reminding him how tired he was. The few bruises that had survived the potion’s magic throbbed, and overtaxed muscles ached. Settling down, he felt a surreal lightness nestle into his chest.

Look out. The strange voice was the only warning he got before his body lurched to the side and rolled easily to his feet. Deep red eyes opened in surprise, just in time to see a stick come flying passed his head. Sheik raised an eyebrow.

Move. His body jerked forward of its own volition, diving for the stick and spinning expertly around to face the other man again. Keep up your guard; watch for an opening. Link’s face hardened even as his mind began to panic. Sheik moved and so did he, dodging out of the way as nimbly as a cat, twisting around impressively on one foot to keep Sheik in his line of sight.

Feel the weight in your hand, don’t fight it. Sheik lunged, his laughter long gone and his face set into a hard frown, the stick aimed at Link’s head. Link felt his eyes widen at the serious glare, even as he brought his own stick up and blocked easily. His foot came up and connected with Sheik’s chest, sending the man in blue staggering back with a loud “oomph.”

Let it be an extension of your body. Sheik was not easily deterred, lunging again only to fake right and come in from the left. Link whirled, blocking as effortlessly as if he had been practicing all his life, even as his mind tried desperately to catch up with his body. Sheik pulled back and thrust, aiming for his ribs. Link dropped to one knee, bringing his shield arm up under the strike to divert the hit. He was surprised that it did not hurt, even as rough bark tore the skin and it began to bleed.

Now, attack. Link thrust the stick forward – feeling more like someone was guiding his arm than doing it on his own – jabbing sharply against the white leather of Sheik’s armor. Sheik winced and retreated a few steps. His green eyes studied Link warily as he edged around. Link felt his feet follow the movement, keeping Sheik in front of him and in plain sight. Don’t lose sight of him, just because you can’t see him doesn’t mean he isn’t there.

Who are you? What are you doing to me?
Link asked, though it was more of a thought than anything else. Beyond him, Sheik darted forward while Link’s body dodged and scored a hit to his back as he went past, all without the consent of Link’s brain.

Pay attention! the voice snapped back.

Then as suddenly as it had appeared, the lightness in his chest dissolved, leaving his whole body feeling like lead. His stomach churned, trying to reject his supper, and a headache smashed its way into his brain like a Goron through paper. He had a brief moment of clarity, to see Sheik’s eyes widen, before everything went fuzzy, then black.

“Link! Hey, Link. Are you okay?”

Link pried his eyes open, feeling like someone had tied stones to his eyelids. Blue eyes blinked and squinted as he tried to focus on the face above him. Failing that, he tried to sit up to get his bearings. A blinding pain wracked his body the moment he moved, forcing him to relax back into the ground.

“Link, say something,” Sheik urged as he poured some water onto a piece of cloth and gently placed it on Link’s brow. The gentle touch made his head throb and sent a spasm through his entire body. His eyes flew open and he gasped, before rolling onto his side in the fetal position. His head spun and the earth under him refused to stay still.

“Sorry, sorry!” Sheik apologized, trying not to touch him. “Just try to breathe normally.” Link closed his eyes and did his best to follow the advice. Slowly the pain decreased, leaving him covered in a fine layer of sweat and trembling uncontrollably.

“W-w-wh-what–” he tried, before his throat closed and the pain shoot through his body again.

“Relax,” Sheik said gently, sitting down next to him. “Try not to move.” Link took deep, shaky breaths in response. Sheik watched him, a slight frown on his lips. “I don’t know what happened. One minute you’re falling asleep, the next your eyes are red and you’re moving like you’ve been fighting all your life; the next your eyes turn blue and you pass out. Following that, you emptied your stomach all over your clothes.” Link shifted just enough to confirm that indeed he was naked, except for the blanket over him and the one he was lying on. “I moved you next to the fire so you’d stay warm, and a few minutes ago you woke up in what appears to be a great deal of pain.” Link tried to keep his face expressionless, for fear the movement would only make matters worse. “Rest,” Sheik said gently. “I’ll keep watch tonight.”

&&&
“Din...”
̶ 0;Don’t even say it, Farore,” Din growled.

The other goddess’s smile only grew. “You helped him.”

“He’s no good to us dead,” Din defended, crossing her arms.

“But, you helped him...” Farore continued, undaunted.

“Either way,” Nayru cut in, a frown firmly in place on her lips. She leaned over the pool, watching as the young man tried to sleep despite the painful tremors that wracked his body every so often. “Whatever your motives, Din, let us hope you have not done more harm than good.”