Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ To Forge the Master ❯ Chapter 11 ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
To Forge the Master
Chapter 11

“Necessity is the mother of "taking chances"”
Mark Twain


Link was not sure how long he sat there, watching the crest of the hill Sheik had vanished over. He kept telling himself if he waited long enough, Sheik would come back and tell him it was a joke and they would go on as if it had not happened. But, as the shadows lengthened and the chill of the night swept over his skin, he reluctantly accepted the truth. Sheik was not coming back.

With a sigh, he turned his gaze back toward the mountain towering overhead. Something cold dropped into his stomach and settled there. His sword hummed softly, and gently warmed his back. He tilted his head to look over his shoulder at the dark blue hilt, feeling the slightest pulse in response. “It’s just you and me now, I guess.”

Taking a deep breath, he nudged his horse toward the entrance to Kakariko Village. The climb was steep, but Nightfire was far nimbler then any normal Hyrulian horse and made the ascent with little difficulty. The ground suddenly leveled out into a large meadow nestled at the foot of Death Mountain. Small houses sat in tiny farms, each less than an acre. Small flourishing gardens were neatly kept near each house. Pens holding a single cow or a dozen cuccos stood close by, the animals inside settled down for the night.

Firelight flickered in the windows, casting warm orange squares on the darkening dirt streets. Inside the homes, he could hear the soft murmur of happy voices as families crowded around the table for dinner. The smell of roast meats and vegetables made his mouth water and his stomach growl.

In the growing darkness, Link could make out two buildings that stood over the others. The closest was an inn. The other was settled on a hill overlooking the entire village and appeared to be a lord’s manner, but it was hard to tell for sure. The windows of the inn glowed brightly and soft music floated from inside. A large woman wearing an apron stepped out the front door as he pulled Nightfire to a stop.

“Is there any room?” Link asked, leaning forward on his saddle horn as the weight of the day settled around him. “And maybe a hot meal?” The woman looked up at him for a moment as if she had just noticed his existence. She blinked her large gray eyes, rubbed them, then blinked at him again. Then her hand went to cover her heart.

“By the Goddesses, you must be the Hero of Hyrule!” She turned quickly back inside and shouted to someone Link could not see, “George! He’s here! He’s really here!” Link felt heat rise to his cheeks as he slid from Nightfire’s back and the woman returned her gaze to him. “Come in, come in, dear. We’ll have you all set up for the night in a beat of a fairy’s wings.”
Before Link could protest, he was bustled inside and Nightfire was led around the back by a stable boy who had appeared seemingly out of thin air. The woman herded him to a table in front of a large hearth with a blazing fire, before hurrying off into the inn’s kitchen. Tired and distracted, Link stared into the fire, watching as the wood turned from brown to black to red to gray.

The soft clunk of wood on wood brought him out of his stupor. He looked up to see a steaming bowl of stew, a plate of bread and cheese, and a jug of milk being placed on the table. His stomach growled and heat ran to his cheeks again. The woman only smiled.

“Eat up, dear, while it’s still hot. Your room will be ready in a jiffy.” She patted his shoulder as she walked away. Pulling the bowl to him, Link spooned some of the thick liquid and blew on it. The first bite was heaven. The sauce was rich and meaty, the vegetables firm, and the meat practically melted in his mouth. Before he knew it he was using a slice of bread to dab the last bit of liquid from inside the bowl.

“Oh, that was good,” he sighed as he leaned back in his chair and thought about loosening his belt.

“I’m glad you liked it, dear.” the woman said, startling Link with her sudden appearance. “Your room is ready, best suite in the house.”

“Thank you, ma’am.” Link bobbed his head in thanks.

“Call me Caru, dear. And my husband is George. You certainly don’t need to be formal with us.”

Link could only nod again before excusing himself and heading upstairs. He found his room easily, thanks to a hurriedly made sign boasting “reserved for the Hero of Hyrule.” Pulling the sign off the door, Link quickly entered and slammed the door behind him. He turned and looked around the room. It was small, with a worn wood floor, a simple dresser, a washbasin, and an overstuffed bed covered with soft sheets.

Suddenly every bone in Link’s body ached. He pulled off his shield, hat, belt, and boots, setting them by the bed. Unbuckling his sword, Link carefully laid it right next to the bed where he could easily reach it. Flopping down, he let the soft straw mattress envelope him and pulled the warm wool blanket up to his chin. In a few minutes he was fast asleep.

&&&

“Milk! Fresh milk!”

Link yawned as he opened his eyes. Automatically his hand worked itself free of the covers and felt about for his sword. A gentle buzz traveled up his arm as his fingers brushed the cool hilt. Satisfied, he sat up and stretched, rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand. Kicking off the blankets, he put his feet on the cold wood floor.
“Milk! Fresh milk! Best milk in all of Hyrule!”

Pouring some water into the washbasin, he splashed his face and rubbed the dirt from it. He wished for a moment he could have a real bath, but sighed it off, not wanting to impose. Walking back to his bed, he collected his things and put them back into place. It struck him as strange suddenly. A month ago he struggled to get everything in the right place, often with Sheik laughing at his expense. Now it was as natural as getting dressed and left him feeling naked if even one item was missing.

“Fresh milk! Get your milk here!”

Link’s head snapped up, he knew that voice. Rushing to the window he threw it open, half expecting to be disappointed. On the dirt road below, plodding along at a slow pace, was an old mare pulling a milk cart. At the reins was a slip of a girl with a mess of red hair. Beside the cart, leading the horse along, a burly man with thick russet hair called out in a deep voice.

Link turned and vaulted over the bed. In his hurry he fumbled with the doorknob, before yanking it nearly off its hinges. His boots thundered down the hall, but he did not care if he woke anyone, before taking the stairs two at a time. He threw the front door open and dashed into the street.

The milk cart was already several houses down, where they had stopped as a woman made her purchase. The man had barely tucked the rupees away in his pouch when Link barreled into him. Both stumbled before ending up on the ground in a heap.

“What the– ” The man stopped abruptly and stared at him. Link’s hat had come off and he could feel a smudge of dirt on his face, but he just smiled back as the man held him at arm’s length. “Link! What a surprise!” Link let out an “oomph” of air as he was pulled into a bear hug, then dragged to his feet.

“Big brother!” Raylon piped as she launched herself off the cart seat. Link snatched her easily from the air, spinning her around over his head as she squealed. Papa Lon laughed and took Link by the shoulders to look him over.

“You’ve grown up, son.” He stepped back, letting Link collect his lost hat. “Come tell us of your adventures.” Putting Raylon up on his shoulders, they walked down the streets as Link told him what had happened since they parted ways while Papa Lon sold the milk. By the time they reached the town market, Link had finished his story and bought Raylon a sweet roll from the bakery. He and Papa Lon shared some bread and cheese and a jug of fresh milk. Link and Raylon sat on the back of the now empty milk cart while Papa Lon leaned against the side.

“Big brother strong!” Raylon announced around a mouthful of sweet bread, cinnamon, and frosting.

Link smiled at her and chuckled before turning back to Papa Lon. “So, do you think I should have gone after Sheik? I mean, I really don’t know if I can do this without him.”
Papa Lon tilted his head and rubbed his chin. “That boy was a strange one. Very quiet. Never knew what he was thinkin’. Now, I’m not one to judge, but everyone has a right to their secrets. And unless I miss my guess, that boy’s got his fair share.”

Link watched his feet swing back and forth for a minute, then sighed. “I guess...”

“The Goddesses assigned this task to you, son. Trust their judgment.” He patted Link on the shoulder reassuringly.

Link nodded vaguely. “Papa Lon... what happened to the ranch? Is it... still standing?”

“Little damage to the outer walls,” Papa Lon shrugged. “But nothing unreplaceable. Whatever those moblin wanted they either got it and left, or decided they weren’t going to get it and gave up.”

“Oh...” Link replied, suddenly finding his bread very dry.

&&&

“I like him.” Din grinned down into the looking pool. “He’s smart.”

Nayru rolled her eyes. “Why does it not surprise me that you enjoy blind praise?”

“They should praise us,” Din snipped. “Without us they wouldn’t exist.”

“That is not the point,” the older goddess replied flatly.

“The point is Link’s alone now,” Farore interrupted in a plaintive whimper. “Oooh, why couldn’t Sheik just get over it? It’s been years!”

Nayru sighed again and turned away from her work to look at her youngest sister. “Farore, please stop. Remember what happened the last time you got so worried? You know this soul; you’ve known it since it was brought into being. Do not doubt yourself.”

“Okay...” The youngest goddess replied morosely, still staring into the pool.

&&&

“Where are you heading next, big brother? I wanna come! Can I go with him, Papa? Can I?” Raylon bounced up and down excitedly on the end of the cart.

“Son, I’m not sure that sweet roll was a good idea,” Papa Lon commented as he watched his daughter.

Link grinned and rubbed the back of his head. “Well, at least she’ll be quiet on the way home.”
“So where are you going?”

“There,” Link answered as he looked up at the mountain that towered over the village. Black smoke was still clinging to the summit like an ominous halo.

“There...?” Raylon repeated as she stopped to stare. “But big brother, that’s a val-vel-valcainco.”

“Volcano,” Link corrected automatically. “I know. But don’t worry, Ray. I’m not going into the volcano. I just have to go see the Gorons.”

“Why don’t you go play, Ray,” Papa Lon suggested. “Big brother and I need to talk.”

“Otay!” The little girl jumped off the end of the cart and hurried off to a small playground where the village children had congregated. Link watched her go with a small smile, enjoying the bit of normalcy. But it quickly ended when a pulse ran through his body.

The world around him seemed to stand still as he turned back towards the mountain. He saw his stepfather’s lips move in a question, but heard no sound. Everything in him was focused on the summit of the mountain. There was a deafening roar – but no one else seemed to hear it – a flash of crimson light – that no one else seemed to notice.

“Run!” Link shouted as he jumped up onto the cart. The market around them stopped as people looked at him like he had lost his mind. Even Papa Lon raised an eyebrow. Then the earth shook. Market stalls tumbled to the ground, people screamed, and Link was knocked off his feet to land painfully on the ground. A roar rent the air as the mountain spewed fire. People scrambled in all directions.

Link pushed himself to his feet, his eyes still trained on the summit. A huge black head, crowned in silver and glowing like embers, shot out of the mouth of the volcano. It was followed by a long neck and thick, muscular body, ending in a powerful tail tipped in long spikes. It roared, spewing flames into the air as it leapt from the summit and opened enormous black wings.

The monster swooped down the side of the mountain like a shadow, soaring over the village, and Link realized how truly massive it was. Its head alone was large enough to swallow a cow whole, with teeth as long and sharp as his sword. The body was as large as a house and each wing could have sheltered a corral several times over. The beat of its wing shook the homes as it passed overhead and sent people blowing along the streets.

All around him people screamed as they ducked into the nearest hiding place. Link felt someone grab his arm and turned. Papa Lon was trying to pull him along. With a shake of his head, Link pulled away and ran into the crowd. Something told him that the dragon was here for him. He had to get away from the crowd.

A great rush of air knocked him from his feet as the dragon swooped overhead. He pushed himself up in time to see the monster bank and come back at him. The sword throbbed as he yanked it from its sheath and raised his shield.

The dragon’s head snapped forward, flames shooting from its throat and setting a line of fire directly at him. Link dodged just in time and watched the dragon fly past, its gleaming red eyes trained on him.

Link’s mind whirled. Unless the dragon was nice enough to land, his sword was useless; and as large as it was, shooting at it with arrows would probably only annoy it. He watched as the dragon came back for another pass, and his eyes focused on the strange silver and crimson crown on its head. It was like an enormous circlet, set with a single jewel the size of large goat. As he stared at the gem, the sword in his hand pulsed and the gem gave a crimson flash. Link reached for his bow and an arrow.

“Big Brother!”

Link turned to see Raylon racing towards him, arms outstretched. The dragon saw the movement as well and turned towards the small girl. Link felt his heart stop and his feet move. The dragon opened its mouth, flames licking at its teeth. Raylon looked up and froze, her green eyes wide and mouth open in horror. The jet of flames shot forward. Link grabbed his little sister and brought up his shield as they crouched behind it.

The flames slammed against the metal and Link’s feet slid across the grass. Raylon screamed. Link held the small girl against his body and the shield as far from them as possible. The flames hissed around them in a searing dome. Embers spit onto his back and shoulders as the flames dissolved at the edges. The metal of the shield quickly turned red. Link ground his teeth as his arm sizzled and the sickly sweet smell of burning flesh touched his nose.

Suddenly, the flames stopped as the dragon passed directly overhead. Link quickly threw down the red, smoking shield as he stood up, Raylon still clinging to his leg. He caught sight of his arm and winced. Angry red blisters and charred flesh were covered in a thin clear fluid that seeped from his skin.

With adrenaline dulling the pain, he grabbed his bow and notched an arrow. The dragon banked and he drew the string to his cheek. The sword on his back throbbed and a tingle spread through his body, moving towards the arrow. He focused the way Sheik had told him, sending the power into the very tip of the arrowhead and packing it as tightly as it would go. Suddenly the arrowhead burst into bright golden light that lit up the ground all around him and Raylon.

Tightening his jaw and letting out a breath, he aimed down the shaft until all he could see was the gem in the silver crown. The string twanged as he let the shaft fly. It cut through the air like a comet, its tail a golden arc. The arrow found its mark and the dragon’s head snapped back as gold and crimson light flashed blindingly bright, bathing the whole village for a few brief seconds. The dragon backpedaled, its wings flapping out of sync as its head thrashed back and forth on its neck.

Flying like it was drunk, still thrashing and roaring, the beast stumbled its way through the air back toward to safety of its mountain. Its spiked tail slapped carelessly against the side of the mountain, sending a shower of stone down the face. The dragon turned and spit a ball of flames into the air, before it slithered into the mouth of the volcano.

Link carefully leaned down and scooped Raylon up with his good arm, then looked around. Long ribbons of fire crisscrossed the village. Two houses were on fire and several barns and cuccos coops had been blown over. The grass around his fallen shield was wilted and black from the heat. The shield itself was warped out of shape and unusable.

Taking a deep breath, Link looked at his arm. He winced, the sight bringing back the pain in an instant. The flesh was raw and an angry red. Blisters, puffy and swollen, dotted the back of his arm from hand to elbow. A few had popped and were weeping opaque fluid. Every movement that stretched the skin in the least sent fresh waves of pain through his body.

“Big Brother...” Raylon whimpered into his chest. He looked down at her to see her watching him and sneaking glances at his arm. “Sorry... sorry...”

“It’s okay, Ray.” He let his arm drop to his side and out of her sight as he walked back toward the heart of the village, leaving the shield where it lay, still too hot to move. People were already pouring out of hiding, water buckets in hand as they hurried to put out the fires. They gave him a wide berth. Papa Lon met him halfway and quickly took Raylon from his grasp. Link winced as he held his arm out of his stepfather’s view, while the man gently scolded the little girl. Raylon just buried her face in his chest and clung to his shirt.

&&&

Link carefully poured cool water over his arm, grinding his teeth as the gentle liquid reignited the pain that shot up and down his arm. He had downed a bottle of blue potion and it had improved his arm, but the skin was still red, hot, and painful to the touch. Even without the potion it was healing very well, much faster than he would have expected. Biting his lip, he let the limb hang over the basin, the water dripping softly into the forming pool. His stepfather had taken the room next to his for the night to give Raylon a chance to collect herself – she had not stopped crying since getting caught in the middle of his fight.

“Ray... I’m sorry,” he sighed, leaning his head against the cool rim of the basin. “Damn you, Sheik! Why did you have to bail on me like this? I can’t do this...I can’t...”

Rising, he walked to the window and pushed it open. The fires had been put out, but the air was still smoky. Long ribbons of blackened grass twisted their way across the town. People hurried to and fro trying to clean up the mess, while others pulled water from the well in case new fires broke out. His heart sank and the sword gave a gentle hum from its sheath on his back.

“Look, mommy! There he is!” a little boy shouted. Link looked down to see the child right below his window, pointing up at him. He cringed. Suddenly he realized a large group of people was gathering and took a step back. The sword responded with a sharp pulse.
“All hail the Hero of Hyrule!” a woman cried.

“Link, the slayer of dragons!” a man added. Link blinked and leaned closer to the window as the crowd erupted in cheers. His mouth opened and closed several times before he gave up and just waved. Heat rushed to his cheeks as they cheered more. A young woman threw a flower, but it thumped against the side of the inn and fell to the ground. Link smiled at her anyway, and several girls around her giggled.

“What’s going on here?”

Link looked up to see a carriage of deep red and bright gold had stopped on the road leading into the village. A man stood in the open door of the carriage. He had slicked back brown hair and a large nose. He wore stiff blue clothes far more expensive than Link could have ever afforded. An overly dramatic black cape swept off his shoulders. He surveyed the scene with a frown. “Well, someone answer! What happened?”

Suddenly everyone was talking at once. Link managed to make out the words “dragon,” “fire,” “hero,” and “salvation.” The man looked up at Link for a moment, before turning to the carriage driver and saying something Link could not make out. The driver nodded and jumped from the seat, while the man in red ducked back into his carriage. The driver trotted into the inn and out of sight. A minute later there was a sharp knock on Link’s door.

Turning away from the window, he walked across the room and opened the door. The driver took a step back and bowed deeply. Link sighed and rolled his eyes at the gesture. “Lord Thorvald formally requests that the Hero of Hyrule make his acquaintance. In doing so, he may be rewarded for his service to this village and become known to the Lord so his needs may be accounted for henceforth.”

“Umm, okay,” Link replied, a little confused. The driver bowed again, sweeping his arm down the hall in a motion for Link to lead the way. Link blinked, but stepped out of the room – jumping when the driver hurried to shut the door for him – and headed down the hall.

Outside, the crowd huddled around the door, all eyes on him as he stepped into the light. He smiled slightly as he walked out, and the crowd parted before him. In spite of himself, he felt the all-too-familiar heat rush into his face. The driver hurried before him to open the carriage door, then bowed and waited for him to get in.

Taking a deep breath, Link stepped into the carriage. It was roomier than he expected and he did not even bump knees with the other men as he sat down on the open bench opposite them. The driver quickly shut the door and climbed back into his seat. A moment later the carriage lurched forward.

Link frowned as his eyes adjusted to the low light and he could make out the men across from him. Sitting next to the Lord, an equally annoyed frown on his face, was the boy who had been behind him in Castle Town. His dirty-blond hair was slicked back and long nose identified him easily as the older man’s son. He wore an outfit exactly like his father’s, right down to the overly-dramatic cape.

“So,” the Lord began after a long minute had passed. “You are the Hero of Hyrule, Chosen of the Goddesses. My son has told me... interesting things about you.”

“Oh?” Link responded evenly, keeping his eyes locked with the Lord’s. The man raised an eyebrow, but Link did not avert his gaze.

“Indeed... Tell me, where have your adventures taken you and how did they lead you here?” the man moved on.

“I have been to see the Kokiri and the Zora, and I am passing through on my way to Death Mountain,” Link answered.

“I’m curious,” the son broke in, and Link turned to look him in the eyes as well. “How did a farm boy fool the Goddesses into thinking he’s nobility?”

“Archelaus!” his father snapped sharply, then softened his voice as if speaking to a dull witted child. “We must always be kind to our guests.”

“Yes, Father,” Archelaus replied sullenly, crossing his arms in a pout. Link suppressed a snort. The carriage lurched to a stop and the driver scrambled down to open the door.

“Forgive my son’s rudeness, he was very disappointed,” Lord Thorvald said as he stepped out of the carriage. His son followed, elbowing Link out of the way as he did. Link stepped out and looked up at the manor towering overhead. It was easily the largest building he had seen that was not a castle. “Please,” Thorvald drew his attention back. “Come, dine with us. We shall also find you a nice room for the night. We cannot have the Hero of Hyrule sleeping on a filthy bed at an inn, like some... commoner. After all, you cannot go climbing Death Mountain with your arm in that condition.” Link frowned, but gave no reply.

&&&

Link looked around his new accommodations. The room was sparsely furnished compared to the rest of the house, with only a single table and chair, and a four poster bed. Old curtains hung around windows that seemed to be nailed shut. The walls were slightly off color and the whole room could have used a good dusting. While the room was nicer than the one at the inn, it looked out of place in the large house. Link made a face.

He did not want to accept any of the nobleman’s hospitalities, but he could find no reason to reject them either. The food had been wonderful, but so rich his stomach was starting to turn. Sitting down on the bed he tried to think what to do next.

Link groaned, cursing the nobility and all in it – they took forever to do everything. He needed to repair his shield, or replace it if it could not be repaired, and head up Death Mountain before the dragon decided to try its luck again. But Lord Thorvald and his son seemed content to take their time before letting him go. Lunch alone had taken an hour just to be served.

Making up his mind to sneak out and be done with it, Link stood and moved toward the door. He stopped at a sound on the other side.

“Is it right? That was... the young master’s room.” Soft footfalls and a high voice identified the speaker as female, probably a maid.

“We have no say in the matter,” another voice, this one male, replied. “We must trust that Lord Thorvald knows what he is doing.”

“But if...?”

“Shh, we should not speak of such things here,” the male responded. The footsteps quickened and faded down the hall. Link carefully pushed the door open and looked both ways, the hall was now deserted. Pushing the overheard conversation from his mind, he hurried down the hall. The floor was deeply carpeted, the walls perfectly whitewashed, and the windows washed until they sparkled. Yet, the house felt more like a prison, cold and empty. Even the servants he passed looked at him with empty eyes.

Finding his way out of the maze of a home took longer than Link would have liked, and several times he found himself going down the same hallways. When he finally found the front door, he was so relieved he nearly ran into Archelaus.

“Where are you going in such a hurry?” the younger boy asked, his eyes narrowed slightly.

“No hurry,” Link replied smoothly as he regained his composure. “I just forgot some things back at the inn. I need them if I’m going to stay here.”

Archelaus smiled slightly, taking a step closer. Link stood his ground. “You never answered my question. How did you fool the Goddesses into thinking you were nobility?”

Link growled. “What happened is between the Goddesses and me, and none of your fucking business.”

“Heh,” Archelaus gave a mirthless chuckle. “It does not matter. I will prove my worth before the Goddesses, whether you like it or not. Because, at the end of the day, you are still just a farm boy, and I am destined to be the next King of Hyrule. So you better get used to bowing at my feet.”

Link ground his teeth together as the younger boy turned away and swept down the hall. Grabbing the door handle, he yanked it open so hard he heard the wood crack. The afternoon sun poured down onto his face, warming his skin. Without really thinking about it, Link started walking in the direction of the village. The sword on his back pulsed in time with his angry march.
By the time he reached the inn, he had walked off most of his fury. The inn was humming with excitement as people gathered outside, talking about the events of the day. When they spotted him, he suddenly found himself surrounded as people patted his back and shook his hand. Link did his best to keep up with who was speaking to him, but the people pressed in so close and kept trying to shout over each other that he could only hear a painful ringing. Covering his ears, he tried to work his way out of the press of bodies to no avail.

“Shoo, shoo! All of you! Shoo!” Caru, the innkeeper’s wife came to his rescue, bustling the crowd away with expert skill. “Can’t you see you’re crowding the poor boy? Let him breathe.” She smiled softly at him. “Go on upstairs, dear. I cleaned your room while you were gone. Don’t worry, I didn’t touch any of your things.”

With his ears still ringing, he bowed slightly to the large woman and went inside. The Innkeeper, George, waved at him from the hearth as he passed, a strange sort of smile playing on his whiskery face. Link waved back as he headed up the stairs. He turned down the hall and stopped, his mouth open slightly.

His door looked like it had been turned into a shrine. Plates of food were stacked with odd knickknacks. Some people had left fine pottery. Others had left amulets, necklaces, and other jewelry. But the item that drew his eyes more than any other was the new shield. Unlike the one that he had lost – that had been very plain – this shield had the emblem of a phoenix, as red as blood, with its wings raised in flight. Between the wings was a Triforce, golden and glittering in the low light.

He picked it up and weighed it in his hands, finding it was heavier than the last shield, but not by much. Turning it over, he looked for a note or a name of the giver so he could thank them. But the shield gave away nothing of its origin. Sighing, he slipped it onto his arm and carefully adjusted it to fit his forearm.

“That’s a nice bit of craftsmanship you have there, son.”

Link looked up to see Papa Lon standing in the doorway to his own room. “Yeah. Do you know who left it? I should really thank them.”

“Sorry, son, I’ve been taking care of Ray. Hope you don’t mind I let her have some of your cookies.” He smiled behind his beard as Link rolled his eyes and snorted. “Did you have fun with Lord Thorvald?”

“Is Ray around?” Link asked carefully.

“Sleeping.”

“I get the feeling he is trying to manipulate me into something, and his son is a stuck-up prick. I’d knock his teeth out of his mouth if I got half a chance.” He frowned darkly at the shield as if it were the offender.

Papa Lon laughed. “Sounds like you met Kakariko’s lord all right. So what are you going to do with all this?” He gestured towards the many items still around Link’s door.

Link looked around and sighed. He pulled the shield from his arm and hung it in the place of his old one. “I don’t know... I really shouldn’t accept it, but I don’t think it would be taken well if I tried to give it back.”

“Got something on your mind, son?”

“It’s just...” Link picked up an amulet carved of onyx that depicted a roaring dragon’s head. The dragon’s eyes were set with fire red rubies that shimmered menacingly as they caught the light. “I don’t really deserve it. That dragon would never have attacked if I had not been here.”

“How can you be so sure of that?” Papa Lon asked gently as he began helping Link gather the many items up and move them out of the hallway.

“I, I just know. It’s hard to explain,” Link replied. He set a plate of cookies on his bed before picking one up and taking a bite. “These are really good.”

“Mmm.” Papa Lon grunted as he set down a pot that had been filled with grain. “Well, let’s assume for a minute you’re right. Even if the dragon attacking was because of you, you still chose to fight instead of running away. And, it is a dragon, Link. It probably would have attacked any village this close to its home. Either way, you still saved a lot of lives. Including your sister’s. After that, it’s all just details.”

“But...” Link tried but found he had no reply. A horn blast, deep and mournful, cried into the sky and both men turned towards the window. Confused, Link moved across the room and pushed it open. His mouth opened in shock. A massive moblin, far larger than any he had ever seen, clad in armor and riding a huge boar had charged into town. A helmet topped with horns crowned his head and a battleaxe swung from his back. A trumpet in his hand cried when he brought it to his snout.

The boar swung its head from side to side, slamming its long tusks into anything it could reach. An unlucky cow could not get out of the way fast enough and one of the tusks ripped it from shoulder to udder like paper.

“What’s the matter? Afraid?” a snide voice called up from the ground. Link looked down to see Archelaus standing there looking up at him, a sword in one hand and a shield in the other. “Don’t worry, I’ll show you how it’s done.”

“You idiot!” Link yelled as the noble took off running toward the moblin. Spinning on his heel, Link raced out of the room and down the hall. He passed Ray, standing just outside her room door, rubbing her eyes and looking confused. The main room of the inn was packed with people, with more still trying to get in, and he had to fight to get passed them.

He forced his way outside just in time to see Archelaus clash with the moblin. The nobleman was on foot, putting him at a distinct disadvantage. The huge axe slammed against his shield with all the strength of the moblin and momentum of the charging boar, knocking the young man several feet through the air before he landed in a heap and tumbled across the grass. The boar stormed past before the moblin reined it in and turned back.

Link whistled as he ran towards the battle, drawing sword and shield. The moblin looked up, but Link was looking over his shoulder. Nightfire came charging around the side of the building, tossing his head. Link grabbed the saddle as the horse flashed past, swinging up onto his back with practiced ease.

The moblin turned his mount and charged, battleaxe held high. Link felt warmth from the sword roll up his arm as he readied it. A new and familiar tingle raced down his arm, and from the corner of his eye he saw the blade begin to glow golden. He met the moblin halfway. The axe slammed down on his shield, sparks flying, as Link struck out with his sword. The light erupted and the moblin’s armor was rent in two, a shallow wound opened across his chest.

The pig screamed his rage, swinging wildly with his axe. But Nightfire was far quicker and more nimble than the boar. They easily evaded the deadly weapon. Using his feet, Link turned his horse back around and charged again. The slower boar took longer to get turned, even with its rider beating it mercilessly.

Link was upon the moblin almost before it could prepare to charge again. The axe rose. Then a flash of silver cut the air, slicing through the creature’s raised arm like butter. Axe and arm fell, blood splashing through the air. Link seized the opportunity, driving his sword through the monster’s exposed chest and into its heart. He ripped his sword free as Nightfire charged past, leaving the moblin fall to the ground behind him.

Link turned in the directing the flash had come from, sword raised and ready. Then he stopped. A man dressed in blue with white leather armor and a white scarf hiding most of his face, sat upon a blue roan Hyrulian draft. Green eyes smiled behind black bangs.

“Sheik ...”

“Hey, Hero. Saw the dragon and decided you would probably need your ass pulled out of a fire sooner or later.”

“What is the big idea?” Archelaus snapped as he pushed himself off the ground, blood dripping down the side of his face. “I had that monster right where I wanted him! And I most certainly did not need help from a farm boy!” Both Link and Sheik turned to look at him as if just noticing his presence.

Sheik’s smile faded and twisted into something nasty. “Go home, little boy. The real men have work to do and you’re underfoot.” Sheik reined Blu around and Link followed his line of sight to Kakariko’s entrance. Small creatures, probably only chest high to Link, were pouring into the town. They wore clothes that looked like they had been pulled from the garbage and they each carried little clubs or what appeared to be discarded kitchen knives. Squished, piggy faces glared at them with beady eyes. “Bokoblin. I had to go through them to get in. Shall we, Hero?”

“Just try to keep up,” Link shouted, putting his heels to Nightfire’s side. Sheik laughed and charged after him. The two horses trampled the small creatures easily under hoof. Swords flashed through the air, and blood glistened in tiny droplets as it arced towards the sky.

Archelaus snarled at their retreating backs. Grabbing his sword he turned and ran towards the moblin’s boar. The creature startled when it was unexpectedly mounted, but a rough yank on its reins wheeled it around towards the fight. The young noble rammed his heels into the beast’s flanks and it lunged forward in its ungainly way. Archelaus narrowed his eyes as he picked his target out of the fray.

The thunder of hooves drew Link’s attention away from the Bokoblin in time to see the huge boar bearing down on him. Then everything seemed to happen at once. A bokoblin near his foot stabbed its knife into his calf and roughly ripped it back out, leaving the blood to pour down into his boot. Blindly, Link struck back, satisfied when his sword found flesh by feel alone since his eyes were still trained on the boar and Archelaus.

Sheik yelled something Link could not quite make out over the din, but it sounded like a girl’s name. He leapt from Blu’s back with surprising agility, slamming his fist into the younger man’s jaw and knocking him clear of the saddle. Grabbing the now free reins, Sheik pulled hard to the right. The boar’s head followed unwillingly. But the heavy beast was not built for such a nimble maneuver, and its hooves scrambled for traction.

The boar squealed as it crashed onto its side, the momentum of its charge still moving it forward. The bokoblin scattered, many not fast enough to escape the out of control beast. With nowhere to go, Link put his heels to Nightfire’s side and charged straight at the boar. He heard Sheik yell as the horse jumped, sailing over as the boar slid underneath. Nightfire landed perfectly and Link reined the stallion in and turned back.

The bokoblin who had escaped both the swords and the boar scampered away as fast as their stunted little legs would carry them. Sheik was picking himself out of the dirt where he had jumped to keep from being crushed. Archelaus was on his hands and knees, blood pouring from his mouth and nose as he tried to gulp down air. The boar had finally slid to a stop and was squalling, its legs flailing wildly. It was obvious that at least one was broken.

Looking down at his own leg, Link cringed. The open wound looked nasty and he could feel hot blood collecting around his toes.

“How dare you!” Archelaus coughed as he wiped his mouth and glowered at Sheik. “Do you know who I am?! I’ll have your head for this!”

“You keep telling yourself that, Meredith,” Sheik snorted as he dusted himself off. He turned towards Link. “That was ballsy, Hero. You okay?”

“Yeah, mostly,” Link replied as he slid from the saddle and carefully put weight on his leg. Pain shot through him like electricity, but confirmed that it was only a flesh wound and his foot still worked properly. “I’ll live. Farore! That hurts!”

He was distracted again as the boar stumbled to its feet, then promptly crashed back to the ground – its broken leg unable to hold its substantial weight. Squealing, the beast tried again, only to get the same result. For a moment it lay on the ground, chest heaving. Link sighed.

Sheathing his sword and putting his shield into place, he drew his bow and arrow. Notching the shaft and pulling it to his cheek, he took careful aim. The string twanged as he released and the shaft buried itself in the beast’s brain, bringing instant death with it.

“Come on, Hero.” Sheik wrapped an arm around his torso, taking the weight off Link’s wounded leg. “Let’s get you fixed up.”