Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ To Forge the Master ❯ Chapter 12 ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
To Forge the Master
Chapter 12

“History admires the wise, but elevates the brave.”
Edmund Morris



“Can’t we smite him?” Farore asked as she glared into the water of the looking pool. Archelaus was shouting at Link and Sheik’s retreating backs.

“I agree. We have the power, so why not use it more often.” Din nodded as she looked over her younger sister’s shoulder.

Nayrun sighed. “Just because one can do something does not mean one should.”

“You are such a wet blanket,” Din huffed.

“Just a little bad luck then?” Farore suggested. “Maybe a trip to the bottom of the well?”

“No,” Nayru said firmly. “The boy has a part to play still and we have interfered with this enough as it is.”

&&&

Link sighed as he propped his leg upon a pillow and waited for the potion to do its work. Already the pain was subsiding and the blood had stopped flowing. He had been pleasantly surprised to find a new pair of boots amongst the many items the villagers had given him. They were a hair too large, but he saw no reason to complain. His pants and tunic had also been ruined, but Sheik had turned up replacements for them as well. He had tried to replace the hat, but Link refused.

“If there is anything I’ve missed about Kakariko, it’s the food,” Sheik announced around a mouthful of food. He was perched on the foot of the bed, his back to Link as enjoyed some choice bites from Link’s gifts. “Have you tried these sausage rolls? They are my favorite.”

“I’ve had kind of a busy day,” Link replied flatly. “Fighting dragons and moblin and entertaining nobles doesn’t leave a lot of time for sampling food left on my doorstep.”

In response, Sheik lobbed a roll over his shoulder without looking. Link caught it easily and took a bite. The bread was soft with a tender, savory piece of meat on the inside. “So, you met the Kakariko nobility?” Sheik asked in a more somber tone.

“Yeah...” Link replied, studying his roll as he collected his thoughts. “Lord Thorvald seems nice enough, I guess.”
“And you seemed like a complete waste of the Goddesses time when I met you,” Sheik answered with a small laugh. Link chuckled a little too.

“But Archelaus... Is there a proper way to say I’d like to gut him?”
“I can’t let you do that, Hero. I have dibs on that brat.”

“So you know him?” Link asked carefully.

Sheik turned on his perch, pulling his scarf up as he did, and looked at Link with an eyebrow raised. “I do.”

“Then what do you think he meant back there after the bokoblin left, about the sword being the only thing to make me a hero?”

Sheik relaxed a little and looked up at the ceiling in thought. “Archelaus is... how do I put this properly... an egocentric son of a bitch. He believes that the Goddesses created him special, and everyone should know it is his right to have everything handed to him. His dick of a father hasn’t helped curb that idea either. Whenever he doesn’t get his way he does something stupid.”

“Like what?” Link asked around a mouthful of bread and meat.

“Like when you were declared Hero of Hyrule. He pitched a royal ass fit, screamed at everyone, including Zelda. Claimed the test was rigged. I left after that, but I heard from a very reliable source that he went on for several more days, telling anyone who would listen how he had been cheated by a farm boy.” Sheik’s eyes crinkled in a smile, “Almost makes me wished I had stayed.”

Link laughed as he stood and tested his leg. The potion had done its job well; not only was his leg back in working order, but the last of the burn had been erased from his arm. “So, you don’t think his screaming will amount to anything more than a childish fit?”

“Oh no, I’m not done yet, Hero.” Sheik tossed him another roll. “Said reliable source tells me he also expressed plans to prove to the Goddesses they had chosen wrong. So, unless I miss my guess, if he believes the sword is what makes you the Hero of Hyrule, he is going to try and take it.”

Link’s head snapped up and he almost choked on the bite of food in his mouth. The sword gave a sharp pulse like a bolt of lightning that made his every nerve stand on end. “If that little bastard thinks he can take my sword...” He let the threat hang, unable to think of anything severe enough to end with.

“Easy, Hero. Like I said, I got dibs.”

&&&

Link lay on his side, looking out the window. The full moon hung heavy over Death Mountain, casting the valley into deep shadows. The sword lay on the floor behind him, on the side of the bed closest to the door. Even at a distance he could feel it pulsing, a steady rhythm like a nervous heartbeat.
He wondered how Sheik had talked him into this plan. It was insane and made him very uneasy. But Sheik had reassured him that nothing would go wrong. Reluctantly, he had agreed. So he lay on his side, listening. The night was filled with sounds, many he noticed for the first time – the wind whistling over the chimney, a mouse running under the floorboards, and the groaning of trees as they swayed.

A creak of a board made his ear twitch and he turned to look over his shoulder. Sheik leaned against the wall next to the door, cleaning his nails with a dagger. He raised an eyebrow, but Link just cocked his head and listened harder. The creak came again, this time ever so slightly closer and with more of a squeaking sound like a loose nail in a stair.

Link frowned and nodded to Sheik. The older man smiled roguishly, pushing of the wall and melting into the shadows behind the door. Taking a deep breath, Link moved back into position and did his best to fake sleep. The creaking footsteps crept slowly closer, and he ground his teeth together. His heart raced as adrenaline flooded his veins and it took every fiber of his willpower to keep himself relaxed and his breathing even.

Finally, after what seemed like a small eternity had passed, the door to his room whined softly open. The person must have had a lamp because a flickering orange rectangle appeared on the wall. A roughly Hyrulian shadow cut the rectangle in half, and grew larger as the steady creaking footsteps thundered in Link’s ears.

The shadow shrank suddenly as the person crouched down, and Link felt a painfully sharp trill – like nails over glass – as foreign fingertips traced the hilt of his sword. He could almost feel the fingers probing his own soul, scraping away at something he had not known was there. Link’s jaw tightened and his fists clenched. Then the hand gripped the blade and something in him snapped.

He spun with more agility than he knew he possessed and planted his foot in the middle of Archelaus’s chest just as he stood up, sword in hand. The younger man let out a loud “oomph,” the sword slipping from his grasp as he fell back into Sheik. Link quickly gathered his sword and checked it for damage.

The dark-haired man grinned wolfishly down at the younger boy. “Stealing, Meredith? I thought you were above such pettiness.”

“How dare you call me that name!” Archelaus screamed, pushing away and taking a swing at Sheik, but he dodged easily with a chuckle. In one smooth motion, Sheik’s fist found Archelaus’s gut and he followed it up with an elbow to the back of his exposed skull. Archelaus was out cold before he hit the floor.

“Still a lightweight,” Sheik huffed.
Satisfied his sword was undamaged from its fondling, Link picked up the discarded lamp and looked down at the boy’s prone form on the floor. “What do we do with him?”

“Toss him out the window,” Sheik suggested, but Link could not decide if he was serious or joking. Sheik rolled his eyes and sighed. “Don’t worry about it, Hero. I’ll see to it he finds his way home, safe and sound.” Link nodded and Sheik hoisted the unconscious boy onto his shoulders. “Get some sleep, Hero. Tomorrow we move mountains.”

&&&

Link stretched as he woke. Warm sunlight streamed in through the window accompanied by the cool breeze of morning. Yawning, Link blinked the sleep from his eyes and looked around. Sheik was perched on the window sill, one leg bent in front of him and the other hanging out the window, while he enjoyed another meat roll. The rising sun cast him into a sharp silhouette.

His head turned and Link had to close his eyes under the assault of the direct sunlight. “Morning, Hero. I was wondering how long you’d sleep.”

“What time is it? Why did you let me oversleep?”

“You had a long day, a late night, and you have a very long day ahead of you. Even with the Goron-made roads, climbing Death Mountain is no easy task.” Sheik tossed him a roll, “So eat hardy; you’re going to need it.”

They spent the next hour arranging all their belongings. Link sent a lot of the food home with Papa Lon since there was no way he and Sheik could finish it before it went bad. As they packed away the many charms, spare clothes, and other gifts, Link was again thankful for the Kokiri’s bottomless pouch. Link groaned and Sheik laughed when they found another, albeit much smaller, pile of gifts outside the door. Those too were quickly tucked away.

It was midmorning before they made their way downstairs. The innkeeper and his wife, Caru, were just cleaning up the breakfast dishes, but quickly offered to make the two anything they wanted. Link politely declined and asked for the bill.

Caru smiled at him kindly. “For you, no charge. We are honored you chose to stay at our humble inn rather than the luxury of Lord Thorvald’s manor. The Goddesses know you would have been far more comfortable there.”

Link blushed as he muttered a “thank you,” and Sheik raised an eyebrow. They made arrangements to have their horses taken care of before heading out. When they had left the inn and were well out of earshot of any villager, Sheik pinned Link with a pointed look. “You were going to stay with Thorvald?”

Link rolled his eyes. “I think he just offered as a formality. The room he offered was... bad. It was barely above a servant’s quarters, so I’m sure he was trying to tell me to get out. So I did us both a favor.”

Sheik snorted.
A furious and indignant shout rang through the quiet of the village. Link turned and stopped midstep, staring in dismay at the scene before him. Archelaus was standing knee deep in mud inside a pigpen, his nice clothes drenched in slop and his face bright red with fury. A perplexed villager, an empty slop bucket dangling from his hand, was trying to apologize and figure out how the young noble had come to be in his pigpen.

“I thought you said you were going to take him home,” Link said warily.

Sheik grinned like a kid at Christmas, his green eyes dancing. “I thought he’d be more at home with his own kind.”

Link rolled his eyes, but could not keep from chuckling as well. “Let’s get out of here before he throws another hissy fit.”

The gate that led up Death Mountain trail was locked and guarded by a very bored sentry, but as soon as he saw Link he snapped to attention and quickly opened the gate. It squealed on its hinges from lack of use, and slammed shut behind them with a clang that echoed up the mountain. Link leaned back to look towards the summit. The height was dizzying and the air was tinged with sulfur.

“Steady, Hero.” Sheik pat his shoulder reassuringly. “It’s only a dragon. A fire breathing, spike-tailed, ninety-foot-long lizard that wants to devour you body, mind, and soul.” Link punched Sheik in the arm without looking while the older man laughed. “Seriously, relax, we only have to go halfway. Then we reach Goron City, where we can rest and plan our next move.”

Despite the path, the climb was arduous. The trail was littered with boulders, had been covered over with hardened magma, and in some places seemed to disappear altogether. Several times they had to ascend almost vertically, and Link cursed Sheik’s nimbleness and uncanny luck for finding hand and footholds.

The sun was setting by the time they reached the first well-tended path of the day. It was wide – wide enough, in fact, for several men to walk abreast with room to spare – with a canyon on one side and a sheer cliff rising over their heads on the other. Link puffed as he trudged along. Sheik only smiled and kept a slow pace.

Link startled when something dropped from the cliff with a bang. Looking up he saw a huge boulder rolling towards them and picking up speed. He moved to get out of the way, but Sheik grabbed his tunic and held him in place. Abruptly the boulder scraped to a halt, sending a shower of dirt and pebbles over the two. Link watched wide-eyed as the boulder unrolled itself and rose onto two powerful legs and stretched two equally powerful arms.

“Sheik! You have returned!” The Goron cried, throwing his arms around the much smaller Hyrulian. Sheik let out an “oomph” of air as the larger creature literally lifted him off his feet in a bear hug.

“Nice to see you again, too, Jirair,” Sheik said between clenched teeth. “Now could you stop that before you crack my ribs... again?”

“Sorry, sorry!” The Goron quickly put him back on his feet and Sheik staggered as he caught his breath. “And who is your friend?” The Goron slapped Link on the back with bone crushing force, sending the surprised Hyrulian staggering forward several steps. “Oops, sorry about that, little fella, don’t know my own strength.”

“That’s all right,” Link replied vaguely.

“Jirair,” Sheik cut in, “this is Link, the Hero of Hyrule. We’d like to see Haldor as soon as possible.”

“Oh, HO! Glad to have you, Mr. Hero, sir.” Jirair slapped him on the back again amiably, but Link was more prepared for the friendly “pat” and managed not to fall. “But Big Brother Haldor isn’t here right now. He went into the caves with Hamza and Cephas. The Dodongo’s are bad this year, but a Goron has to eat, right?” He slapped Sheik on the back and laughed at his own joke. The Hyrulians gave polite chuckles.

“We’ll just show ourselves in,” Sheik moved on before the Goron could get start babbling. “Just let Haldor know we’d like to see him when he returns.”

“Of course.” Jirair smiled, but his voice sounded a bit disappointed. “I’ll tell Big Brother as soon as he returns, I promise.”

“Thanks, Jirair.” Sheik waved and nodded for Link to follow him. The path sloped down for the first time all day and vanished into the yawning mouth of a massive cave. The low light of the late afternoon did not go far into the cave, but it was soon replaced by torches every few feet. The cave walls were decorated with pictures of Gorons. Some looked like daily life, while others depicted tales of Goron heroes.

Link was so captivated by the art that the abrupt end of the cave startled him. The room was built like an amphitheater, going down in tiers. He and Sheik stood on the top level looking down on five more, each smaller around than the last. Each level had several smaller caves carved into it that Sheik said led to other levels or other parts of the city. The bottom tier had only two caves, one that led down to it and one leading to Big Brother’s room.

Link followed as Sheik threaded them through a series of complex tunnels that eventually brought them to the bottom floor. The door on the other side was open and they let themselves in. The room beyond was not overly large, with a table and chair and a single large slab of stone. Sheik flopped down on the stone and Link took the chair.

“Now what?” Link asked.

“Now we wait.”

Link sighed and crossed his arms over the back of the chair and rested his head on them. His eyes drifted shut and his breath evened out; moments later he was asleep. Sheik chuckled and rolled off the slab of stone and stretched.

“Rest up, Hero. I won’t be gone long, so try not to get into any trouble.”

&&&

Link woke with a start when someone shook his shoulder. Blinking to clear his vision he looked around. Sheik stood over him, hand still on his shoulder, an amused smile in his green eyes. With a yawn he stretched, feeling stiff joints pop into place.

“Have a good nap?”

“Did I sleep long?”

Sheik chuckled. “Probably not long enough, but there will be more time for that later. Haldor is back.”

Link barely had time to stretch again before the biggest Goron he had ever seen walked in. He was head and shoulders taller than Jirair, with arms and legs like tree trunks and a stiff beard. He had the traditional look of a Goron, with rock-brown skin as tough and worn-looking as old leather. His eyes were a surprising blue, which stood out on a face that appeared many years too old to own them.

“Big Brother Haldor,” Sheik greeted, extending his hand. Haldor grabbed it roughly and yanked the Hyrulian into a hug that left Sheik’s feet dangling in midair.

“Sheik, it has been too long!” He dropped Sheik to the ground and held him at arm’s length. “You do not visit enough.” He turned to look at Link, regarding him with the same appraising look one would give a young foal. “And you must be the Hero of Hyrule, Leek.”

“Link,” Link corrected as he offered his hand in greeting. Haldor grabbed the offered limb and pulled Link close enough to pat on the back in what was supposed to be a friendly manner.

“Link, right. Little brother Jirair was never good with names.” He waved at the table as a Goron brought in a pair of extra chairs. “Sit, sit! Tell me what brings you to our mountain”

“Thank you.” Link nodded to the Goron as he took a seat. “We are looking for the Temple of Fire and the Fire Spirit.”

“Ahh, direct and to the point.” Haldor smiled. “That’s my kind of man. But, let’s not worry about such things now. The Hero of Hyrule is in Goron City, a festival must be thrown.” In a move much faster than the huge Goron seemed capable of, Haldor was out the door, his booming voice calling for a festival to be readied in Link’s honor.

“What... just happened?” Link asked. Sheik just put his head down on the table and laughed.

“You get used to Haldor.”

“But what about the Temple?”

“He’ll get to it,” Sheik managed to suppress his mirth. “He likes to do business over food and festivities. You should have seen the look on your face!” Link made a rude gesture but it only sent Sheik back into a fit of laughter.

The next hour consisted of a great shuffle of bodies as the Gorons put the festival together. There really was not that much to do as far as Link could see. Tables were lined up along the edges of the tiered city and chairs were arranged so they all faced inwards. The bottommost floor had been left open and free of both tables and chairs. Soon after, Goron’s began filling the “stands,” talking excitedly amongst themselves. Haldor reappeared and hustled the Hyrulians to the largest table on the lowest tier. They each took a seat as the huge Goron turned to the crowd above them and raised his arms. The room fell silent.

“Welcome, my brothers and sisters.” Haldor’s deep voice resonated all around them, the conic shape of the room carrying it up to the highest tier. “Today we gather to honor a hero. He was chosen by the Goddesses to deliver our world from a great evil. From this day forth, he is your sworn brother and you should do for him as you would do for any of your brothers and sisters. So it is in his honor we now hold The Feats of Din. Bring on the food and let the games begin!” The crowd cheered.

“What’s happening?” Link asked as more Gorons began to pour out of the tunnels carrying huge stone plates piled high with what appeared to be rocks.

“The Feats of Din is a Goron festival held on special occasions,” Sheik answered over the noise of many Goron’s moving about. “Usually for a Goron Hero or after successful battles. It’s pretty basic, lots of food and drink and entertainment.” Sheik grinned behind his scarf. “But, of course, their idea of entertainment amounts to a gladiator match.”

A stone plate thunked down in front of them and the Goron server smiled down. “Eat up, brothers.” Sheik nodded and Link gave a weak smile.

“Did... they really just serve us rocks?” Link asked as soon as the Goron had moved on.

“Yep, “ Sheik answered. “They are a favorite of the Goron people.”

Link look wearily at the pile of stones, most as large as his head, neatly arranged on the platter. “Do I have to eat one to be polite?”
“Nope. Have a sweet roll and be grateful they didn’t decide to serve us bombflowers.” Sheik passed him some food from their supplies as Link blanched. “Oh, the first match is about to start.”

Down on the bottom floor of the city two Gorons raised their arms and the crowd cheered. Then the two turned and faced each other and assumed fighting stances. Slowly they circled each other, watching for an opening. Suddenly one moved, striking out at the other with its huge fist.

Link watched in curious fascination as the two Gorons battled. Fists flew and the heavy thud of flesh on flesh resounded under the din of cheers. Brown skin turned black under the assault and blood dripped from many abrasions. The bout was shorter than he expected, but by the time a winner was declared both combatants were breathing hard. The crowd cheered and both were well tended as they walked away.

Several other matches passed in much the same fashion, but the Goron’s did not seem to tire of it.

When another Goron walked out and raised his arms to the crowd, they cheered even louder than before. Short of Haldor, he was the biggest Goron Link had seen, and something about him struck a chord in the back of his mind.

“I, Berk, challenge Brother Link,” The Goron roared. The other Gorons responded in kind. Link was so startled that he nearly fell from his chair – where he had started to doze off again. Confused, he looked around at the Goron’s cheering him on, then to Sheik for a hint of what to do next. To his great surprise, Sheik paid him no mind and, instead, jumped up on the table and lifted his arms the way the other Gorons had done.

“I, Sheik, challenge Brother Berk.”

A great murmur ran through the stands and Link hissed, “What are you doing?” through his teeth.

“But I challenged Brother Link,” Berk protested and looked to Haldor for a judgment.

“Brother Link has a dragon to fight tomorrow and your games have a steep learning curve. Besides, you owe me,” Sheik responded with dignity, also turning to Haldor.

“Brother Sheik has a fair point,” Haldor said. “His challenge stands.”

Berk grunted unhappily and Sheik jumped off the table and over the edge of the tier. He twisted gracefully through the air to land in a crouch. Berk shrugged his shoulders and slid into a fighting stance. Sheik watched, unmoved. Link looked on intently, half-standing for a better view.

Sheik remained crouched as Berk moved in a circle, frustrating the Goron with his stillness. Link held his breath as the difference in size quickly became apparent, but Sheik seemed unworried – not even bothering to move away from his approaching opponent.
Suddenly Berk struck, his huge fist aimed at Sheik’s head. The Hyrulian easily dodged, jumping up to catch hold of the Goron’s forearm before pivoting around to slam his foot into the other’s jaw. Berk stumbled back, surprised, and Sheik did a quick back flip to put distance between himself and the Goron.

Berk grunted as he righted himself and faced Sheik again. This time when the Goron struck, he aimed high in hopes of catching Sheik as he left the ground. But Sheik countered instead with an almost ninety degree backbend, letting the fist fly over his body and just miss his jaw. He grabbed the exposed limb – one hand around the wrist and the other behind the elbow – and pulled. Berk was too heavy to flip over, but the pull added to his momentum was enough to send him crashing to the ground. Sheik had to pull an intricate series of twists to keep from being crushed, cursing to himself as he did.

Berk staggered to his feet, obviously embarrassed and furious. This time he charged, head down, intent on ramming Sheik into the wall. Link yelled and Sheik gave him a laughing look out of the corner of his eye. When the Goron was only a few feet away, Sheik jumped and came down on the back of Berk’s skull – driving him face first into the floor. The Goron skidded to a stop and Sheik stepped off casually. Berk groaned and pushed himself to all fours before signaling surrender.

Link leaned as far forward as he could, watched as Berk was helped up by a smaller Goron. His jaw dropped a little to see the beaten fighter was not even bleeding, nor did he appear seriously bruised. He frowned to himself, remembering the wealth of bruises, cuts, and abrasions Sheik had given him without even trying.

“Are there any other challenges?” Haldor asked as the two fighters left the “ring.” No one responded and the giant Goron nodded to another very large Goron on his left. He rose from his seat and picked up a small chest with him. Lumbering around Haldor, he set the chest on the table before Link. Link blinked in surprise and confusion, but Haldor went on without notice. “To honor Brother Link for his courage, we give him the Golden Gauntlets.”

The Goron who had set the chest before Link opened the lid to reveal its contents. Inside lay a pair of fingerless gloves, long enough to cover most of his forearms. They looked rather plain at first glance, but he quickly noticed a faint golden glow. Squinting slightly he could make out hair thin threads worked into the supple leather.

“Take them,” Sheik instructed with a soft chuckle. Link startled slightly, having been too focused on the gauntlets to notice his return. “You don’t want to look rude, do you?”

“But I haven’t done anything yet,” Link replied as he took the offered gloves and slid them on. They were too large, but quickly shrank to a perfect fit. He felt a surge race up his arms to his shoulders and back. As quickly as it came, it faded, but in its wake Link could feel a strange buzz. Then it too faded into nothing.

“Doesn’t matter. You are going to do something and that is good enough for them.”

“Now, to bed,” Haldor announced. “Tomorrow is a big day for all.” With that the Goron’s rose en mass and began to wander off. Tables and chairs were soon cleared away and the Goron who had given Link the gauntlets led the two Hyrulians to their room.

Aside from the torches along the wall for light, the room was unfurnished. No tables, no chairs, not even a dresser that Link could discern from the rock. It was not until Sheik told him the twin slabs of rock jutting out of the wall were meant to be slept on, did he know they had been provided with beds. Aside from the rock-beds, the only other object of interest in the room was a door. Behind it Link found a shallow pool of steaming water and a room full of humid air.

They took turns bathing in the hot water before crawling into their beds for the night. The next morning – or at least when a Goron knocked on the door to serve them a breakfast of rocks – Link woke with every muscle in his body cold and stiff. It took several minutes of stretching just to get loose enough to crawl back into the steaming water.

When he got out, he found Sheik had left. Assuming he would be back shortly, Link dug into the supplies and found breakfast for them. He had just put together some bread, cold ham, and cheese when Sheik returned. He carried something flexible and metallic over his shoulder and his raised cheeks showed he was smiling behind his scarf.

“Brought you a present, Hero. Take off your tunic and we’ll see if it fits.”

“Aww, Sheik I’m touched,” Link cooed. “But, you know, bringing me presents doesn’t entitle you–”

“So help me, Hero,” Sheik cut him off, “if you finish that sentence, I will beat you bloody with this thing instead.” Link only grinned as he shed his tunic. Sheik unfurled his offering with gusto and Link raised an eyebrow. There were two pieces. The first was a lightweight, nondescript, white shirt. The other was a chain mail shirt of a higher quality than Link had ever seen. Instead of the standard single interlocking rings, this was made with two different sizes of rings locked together to form mail that was stronger and more flexible.

“Wow...” Link breathed as he looked at the chain mail. “Where’d you get this?.”

“Try it on,” Sheik instructed and put the entire thing in Link’s hands – surprising him with the weight. “You’ve got a dragon to slay and it has to fit right if you are going to wear it.” Sheik turned his back as he sampled from the breakfast tray.

“But where did you get it?” Link repeated as he slipped the chain mail on, ignoring the shirt lying on the bed.

“It’s called Dragon Scale chain mail, a style made exclusively by the Gorons. They don’t make many and you need all the help you can get, so I called in a favor to get you one...” He turned around with his scarf firmly back over his nose and mouth. “Link, why didn’t you put the undershirt on?” he asked, raising a knowing and amused eyebrow.

“Oh, is that what this is for?” Link replied as he reached for the discarded article. Suddenly his jaw clenched and he hissed through his teeth. “Farore! That hurts!”

Sheik chuckled as he moved to help Link out of the chain mail as painlessly as possible. “I forget that you have no idea what you are doing. There is a good reason people wear shirts under chain mail.” They managed to get the armor off without getting it caught in Link’s hair. His torso was splattered with thin, red half-ring-shaped marks where the mail had pinched him. “And now you know what that is.”

Link made a rude gesture as he pulled on the undershirt before replacing the chain mail. He cursed softly when several strands of hair were also sacrificed in the name of the extra armor. Finally he replaced his tunic and stretched in the new armor; it was a good fit, a little on the large side, but not enough to warrant resizing.

After breakfast they collected their things and stepped out into the hall, only to nearly run into Haldor and the two Gorons he had with him. “Ahh, Brother Sheik, Brother Link, you are up. I hope you both ate well, today is a big day.” He patted them on their backs, not noticing that the friendly gesture nearly knocked them both to the ground. “Come, come, there is much to do.”

Link looked at Sheik, who shrugged and signaled they should follow. Haldor led them back through the tunnels to the city proper, where the Goron’s had again gathered. As they passed through the inverted city many large hands slapped them on the back – making their walk more of an extended stumble – and gravelly voices spoke words of encouragement. When they reached the entrance, Berk was waiting for them and Haldor had disappeared.

“I will lead you to the Goron’s secret entrance into Death Mountain.” His voice was even and lacked the cheer and encouragement of his brethren. He led them out of the city and into the open air – both Hyrulians had to pause and readjust to the bright light – before following the large Goron around the outside of the cave to a narrow path. Following the path with his eyes, Link saw it vanish into another cave higher up the mountainside.

Link turned back to Berk to say goodbye, only to find the Goron looking at his sword with an expression he could not place. Abruptly, the Goron grunted and turned away, leaving the two young men alone.

“He was at the test, wasn’t he?” Link asked quietly as they turned and he led the way up the mountain.

“Yes. But Berk wanted it pretty badly.”

“Oh,” Link replied only to fill the silence. He could not summon usual the feeling of guilt over being chosen. He glanced at the sword’s hilt over his shoulder and the blade pulsed softly in response. The cave mouth loomed ahead and Link turned to focus on the task at hand. “So, aside from the rivers of melted rock and a possible fiery death, what’s in here?”
“Dodongos, mostly. They keep other things out. But there have been a few Lizalfo, Keese, and the like in the past. But fiery death is probably your biggest worry. Oh, and that huge dragon that wants to eat you.” Sheik grinned shamelessly.

“Thanks for the pep talk,” Link replied dryly. He paused at the cave mouth and looked in, then looked over his shoulder at Sheik again. “I know what a Keese is, but what about the other two?”

Sheik blinked at him. “Are you... thinking ahead...?” He feigned shock, clutching his heart melodramatically. “My baby is all grown up...”

“Fuck you,” Link replied, shoving the older man lightly. Sheik yelped in surprise as he tumbled back down the path several feet. Link blinked in confusion.

“Easy, Hero,” Sheik said as he picked himself up. “Those gauntlets enhance your normal strength by several times.”

Link looked down at the gloves; they still looked rather plain. “Really?”

“No harm done, though. Let’s go.”

Link nodded, forgetting his question and leading the way into the cave. They had only just stepped out of the sunlight when they were forced to stop again. A large boulder sat firmly in their path. The cave was wide enough that the boulder could be rolled to one side, allowing them to squeeze past.

Link looked down at his gloves again and made a face. “Several times stronger, huh? Okay.” Sheik said nothing as Link made his way to one side of the boulder and put his hands on it. Link took a deep breath, feeling the sword pulse and the gauntlets tingle. Then he pushed. For a moment, nothing happened; but slowly, very slowly, the boulder gave way. Startled, having not really expected much, Link put his back into it and rolled the giant rock aside with ease.

Link stepped into the cave and Sheik followed. They found themselves in a huge room, roughly round in shape. Hot, dry air swept over them like stepping into an oven. The floor was black and ashen, rippled like water frozen shortly after having a rock dropped into it. The walls looked as smooth as glass, with only a dozen torches hung in brackets to keep them from being a perfect plane. The torches did not provide enough light to reach the entire room, but Link could still make out an entrance to a tunnel on the other side. It was too dark to see the ceiling.

“Damn it!” Sheik cursed. “I should have known the Gorons wouldn’t put enough torches in here. I can’t see a damn thing.”

Link’s brow furrowed as he frowned. “You can’t see it?”

“See what?”

“Never mind, follow me.” He had taken one step forward when the sword sent a shock through his body that made all his muscles seize instantly. It was gone as soon as it had appeared, and Link threw out a hand to stop Sheik.

“Hero?”

Link did not reply, concentrating on carefully moving a single foot around until it brushed against a sizable rock – as black and glassy as the walls around them. Link picked it up gingerly, noting that it was almost warm enough to burn his hand, and lobbed it into the center of the room. Instead of a clatter, there was a dull thud followed by a thick glub as the floor cracked to reveal a soft red core that swallowed the rock with lazy slowness.

“Shit...” Sheik hissed through his teeth. Link nodded in silent reply. Keeping against wall, Link led the way around the room. They took their time, careful that each place they set their feet was solid. It took a small eternity to get across the room to the tunnel Link had seen when they entered.

The corridor was well lit, and they quickly ascended the crudely carved stairs as they made a slow sweep to the left, obviously following the curve of the room they had just left. Even though they were not very steep, the stairs wound around forever, and soon both men were panting heavily.

Abruptly the stairs turned right and the two young men stopped. Around the corner came strange sucking sounds followed by a thick cough, along with an irregular scraping. Motioning for silence, Sheik put his back against the wall and carefully peered around the corner. “Dodongos.” he whispered as he retreated. “At least a dozen.”

“Let me see,” Link said and Sheik shrugged. They switched places, and Link peered around the corner. The room beyond was very large, though still considerably smaller than the first they had come through. A single torch stood in the center of the room, casting a small circle of light. Sitting just inside the ring was a huge lizard at least eight feet long, with large black eyes – much like the walls in the first room. Its scales were dark green and rough-looking. Link could almost imagine it disappearing into the almost pitch-black room.

Around the room, beyond the reach of the light, Link saw bright flashes of fire, each following the sucking noise he had heard before and accompanied the thick cough. None of the bursts were consistent, but he managed to count ten different sources.

“Are they... breathing fire?” Link asked quietly as he retreated.

“Yeah. They are also immune to fire as well. Those things could swim through lava like a Zora through water.”

“So, they are small dragons...?”

Sheik gave him a flat look. “A fire breathing lizard does not a dragon make. And don’t ever suggest to a dragon that it is simply a large dodongo; it will do far worse than eat you.”
Link blanched and nodded. Sheik ignored him and reached into his pouch. A moment later he produced what appeared to be a bag of cuccos’ eggs. He handed one to Link with the admonishment. “Don’t drop it.”

“I take it dodongo’s like eggs and we are going to use these to distract them?” Link asked.

“Dodongos eat rocks. That is why the Goron’s hate them; they compete for the same food source. Well, that and a dodongo will eat a Goron if given the chance.”

“So... eggs?”

“They aren’t eggs,” Sheik continued. “They are something of my own invention.” Link took that moment to look at the “eggs” more carefully, and noticed a stiff bit of string sticking out of one end of each. “I emptied out the shells and filled them with concentrated bombflower nectar. They aren’t as strong as I’d like yet, but it’s a process. So far they can crack a good-sized boulder, but when I’m done they will be able to break it apart.”

Link raised an eyebrow. “And we are going to do what with these?”

“Create havoc,” Sheik replied simply. “If they are confused they won’t be able to gang up on us.”

“Sounds like a plan. How do these things work?”

“Once the fuse is lit, you have thirty seconds to get rid of it before it goes off in your hand.”

“Good to know.”

“All we have to do is get to that torch,” Sheik finished as he pulled one of his swords out. Link nodded and readied his shield, leaving his sword sheathed, to be drawn after he threw his first bomb. He leaned against the wall and looked around the corner again. The dodongo that had been resting near the torch had moved off, leaving nothing between them and their goal. Link nodded and they darted out.

The response was immediate. Despite their size, the dodongos were surprisingly fast. Sheik’s timing was impeccable – lighting one of his eggs and hitting the nearest dodongo right between the eyes just as it exploded. The sound was deafening as it resounded in the closed space. Adding to the din, the dodongos screeched and scurried in all directions, their sharp claws raking like nails on glass.

Link was sure his eardrums had shattered and he dropped the eggs in his hands in favor of covering the sensitive appendages. His eyes watered as he squeezed them shut as if it would somehow also help block out the sound. He had not even realized he had dropped to his knees until Sheik had him by both shoulders, shaking him and calling his name.
“Get up,” Sheik said curtly as Link focused on him. A sucking sound, distant and fuzzy to his still ringing ears, caught his attention and a throb shot through him from the sword on his back. The sword sang merrily as he released it from its binding. He lunged, slamming the blade through the exposed roof of the creature’s mouth. It made an odd choking noise as hot blood ran down its throat and poured over the edges of its mouth.

Link ripped the sword free and held out his shield as he turned to block a fireball. A burning wad the consistency of snot hit the shield with a wet slap. Link swung the shield, flicking the slime into the face of another dodongo. The sword flashed noon-bright in the dull firelight as Link struck at another attacker, slicing its head from its shoulders.

Another boom and dazzling flash signaled another of Sheik’s eggs going off. Link again found his senses overwhelmed and toppled backwards in a moment of confusion. His shoulder slammed into something hard-edged and unforgiving. The thing toppled and added the sound of crashing stone and smashing wood to the chaos of noise. Link forced his eyes open and see that the torch had been knocked over and burning sticks and embers had scattered across the floor.

A soft hiss made Link look down. One of his discarded eggs had ignited in the collapse, and the fuse was quickly shortening. Panicking, and not wanting another of those things to go off near him, he grabbed it and looked desperately for somewhere to throw it. A dodongo appeared out of the darkness, just beginning to suck in air for an attack, and Link lobbed the egg at it on impulse.

He intended to nail the creature between the eyes, but his aim was off a bit and landed the egg in its gaping mouth instead. Startled, the dodongo stopped mid-attack and swallowed. There was a brief pause, in which Link and the dodongo stared blankly at each other, followed by a muffled boom. The lizard’s gut expanded suddenly with the sound, its eyes bulging in a mix of pain and shock, then it slumped forward as blood began to ooze out of its mouth.

“Creative,” Sheik said coolly. “I think that was the last of them.” Link glanced around and, even in the low light, could confirm what Sheik had said. “You’re slipping, Hero. You only got three of the twelve.”

“It was those damn eggs,” Link huffed back indignantly. “My ears are going to be ringing for days.”

Sheik rolled his eyes and gave Link a light shove as the younger man climbed to his feet. “Would you like some cheese with that whine? They weren’t that loud.” Link huffed again and turned towards the exit, and promptly stepped into a hole in the floor. He managed to recover his balance in time not to fall face first on the ground and looked around.

The torch stand that he had knocked over had been sitting over a hole in the floor that looked rather purposefully created. Link knelt down curiously and peered inside. Despite the complete lack of light in the hole he could make out something large and shiny lying on the bottom. Carefully he reached in and pulled it out.
It was a shield. It was shaped just like his own shield – a hexagon, wide at the top and pinching to a dull point at the bottom. The edge was trimmed in red with gold Triforces at the corners. Those were the only adornments, the rest of the shield was plain metal polished to a brilliant shine. Even in the dim light of the room it gleamed and sent reflections dancing across the walls.

“I didn’t know the Goron’s made shields,” Link said as he studied it. Even to his untrained eye the craftsmanship looked marvelous.

“They don’t,” Sheik replied, studying the item over Link’s shoulder. “Swords on occasion, but never shields to my knowledge. Whoever made this was no Goron. I wonder how long it has been here.”

“Couldn’t have been too long, it looks brand new,” Link answered, slipping it onto his arm just to try it. A subdued bolt shot through him, strangely gentle. Link studied the shield more closely. “I think it’s magic... somehow.”

“A magic shield...?” Sheik asked skeptically. “That’s new. If that’s the case there is no telling how long it has been here.”

“In that case, I think I’ll keep it,” Link said as he tucked his regular shield into the bottomless pouch and left the magical one on his arm. “That dragon already melted one shield, I may need a spare.” Sheik only shrugged.

They left the room, picking their way around the remains of the dodongos in the pitch black room, and into another hallway. This one also sloped up and curved left, but more gently than the last, and it lacked stairs. Swords at the ready, they made their way up. It was not long before a strange sound reached Link’s ears. It was a hissing, chattering, rolling sort of noise that, judging by two different tones, sounded almost like a conversation.

“What is that?” Link whispered.

“What?”

“That sound. Don’t you hear it?”

Sheik gave him a measuring look. “No... maybe your ears are still ringing.”

“I don’t think so...” Frowning, Link quickened his pace. He had to find the source of that sound. Sheik shouted for him to slow down, but Link ignored him, plunging around another corner without looking. He ran straight into the chest of a very startled creature.

The lizard stood on its hind legs, making it nearly six feet tall. It had a narrow head, sharp eyes, and a short, thick tail. In one small fist it held a crude sword. Another lizard stood across the room.

For a moment they all stared at each other, then the closest lizard screeched and leapt at Link, its sword raised. Link reacted on instinct, raising his shield to catch the blade and lashing out with his sword. The steel flashed in the low light as it ripped a wound across the lizard’s torso. The lizard screeched and retreated across the room.

“Farore!” Sheik shouted as he rounded the corner. Link looked up and saw more lizards flooding out of the opposite tunnel. “Congratulations, Hero. You ran headlong into a lizalfos’ nest.”

Link gave him a chagrined smile, but had no time to reply. The lizalfos descended on them, swords raised. Link lost track of Sheik as they plunged into the mob. A crude sword clanged off his shield and Link struck blindly at the attacker before turning and using his momentum to take off another lizalfo’s arm.

A flash of metal caught his eye and he dodged, but not fast enough to avoid a thin cut across his cheek. The hot blood trickled down his face, but Link did not have time to notice. He lunged at another attacker, driving his blade into a soft stomach. The creature screamed as he ripped the sword free and turned to the next.

It was all becoming a blur. Attack, defend, dodge. Blood splashed and steel flashed. His chest heaved and a rapidly forming bruise on his back ached. The lizalfos just kept coming. As soon as he drew blood the creature would back off and a fresh one would take its place. He missed a block and a sword sliced across his forearm.

He sensed something behind him and turned. His sword slammed hard into Sheik’s crossed blades, sending the other man sliding back on the stone floor. Without a word they turned and put their backs together, facing the mob surrounding them. The lizalfos hung back, chattering softly to each other.

“What are they doing?” Link asked as he gulped down air, thankful for the moment’s rest.

“Lizalfos fight in tag team,” Sheik answered. Link was annoyed to find he did not sound at all out of breath. “When one gets hurt another moves in to take its place. They’ve probably run out of uninjured friends.”

Link grunted his acknowledgment. Lifting his shield into a defensive position he lowered his sword to rest his arm but still allow for a quick upswing if it was needed. The tingle on numbness was setting into his tired limbs, making his skin prickle. An idea popped into his mind.

Finding the warm trill of magic he was quickly growing used to, Link forced it into his sword. The golden light began to build, turning the mirror bright surface into an iridescent gold. He heard Sheik make a surprised noise, but ignored him and poured more magic into the blade. As the magic compounded, it peeled away from the surface of the sword to swirl around it.

A lizalfo screamed and the mob surged forward. Link lashed out with his sword, sending an arc of light flying. It cut through the lizalfos it hit like butter and slammed into the wall behind. Spiderweb cracks raced across the rough surface as the magic dissipated. The lizards faltered, surprised by the attack, and Link lunged.

His sword had lost its glow, but it made little difference. Link sliced into the lizards with all his strength. Blood splashed across his face and clothes as he took off another lizard’s head. He was feeling numb, disconnected. He saw the sword flash, heard the shield block, tasted the copper tang of blood in the air, felt the tiredness creeping through his limbs. Yet, none of it seemed real, as if it was all happening to someone else.

He cut down another lizalfo and turned to find the battle had ended. Sheik was examining a deep cut in his right bicep. The lizards lay around the room in growing pools of blood. The blood was splashed across the walls and even across his body. A glance down showed more blood dripping from his sword. The cut above his gauntlet oozed the red liquid as well, his blood joining seamlessly with the rest.

His stomach lurched violently and the remains of his breakfast came up. He heaved several more times, holding himself up on his hands and knees, but little else came up. He sat back on his knees, breathing hard as he tried to calm his flopping insides. A hand held out a cloth in front of him and he looked up to find Sheik looking down at him. A blush heated his cheeks as he snatched the offered cloth and wiped his mouth.

“Come on, Hero, let’s find a better place to rest.” He wrapped an arm around Link’s torso to help him stand and they walked out of the room. The hallway, like those before it, sloped up and bent away from the room. When the coppery smell was no longer in the air and the glistening red liquid was no longer in sight, Sheik let Link lean against the wall. He slid down to sit on the floor and pulled a rag from his pouch to wipe his sword clean, anything to keep from looking at Sheik.

“Please, Hero, you aren’t the first man to lose his lunch on the battlefield,” Sheik huffed good-naturedly as sat down next to the younger man. He pulled out a bottle of blue potion and took a gulp before passing it to Link. “How did the chain mail work out?”

“Good,” Link answered shortly, taking a gulp from the bottle and still carefully not looking at Sheik. He felt the effects of the potion instantly as the tingling buzz of magic returned and watched as the cut on his arm closed. Even the pain in his back where he was sure he had a large bruise faded away. He corked the bottle and passed it back.

“What say you don’t go running headlong into things anymore?”

“Sure,” Link replied, pushing himself to his feet. “We’re close.”

Sheik raised an eyebrow, but stood up as well. “I’m ready when you are.”

Link nodded and started walking. The hallway was short and quickly came to a dead end blocked by a large boulder. Link rolled it aside just enough for the two of them to hide behind and still see beyond. Heat rolled across them as they peered around the edge. Rivers of lava crisscrossed the room, giving everything a warm red-orange glow. Large islands of black rock rose over the deadly flow.

In the middle on the largest island lay the dragon, its black scales making it almost invisible. Only the glimmer of the silver and ruby crown gave it away. Link’s arrow was still lodged firmly in the cracked jewel. Twin curls of smoke rose from its nostrils as it slept.

“Good, it’s asleep,” Sheik whispered. “We can sneak past. Once we free the Spirit of Fire, she can put that monster in its place. Do you see the temple anywhere?”

“We’re already inside,” Link answered, pointing up. Sheik looked in surprise to see the now familiar pyramid of light overhead, this time in a bright fire-red. Link studied the sleeping dragon more closely. Even from this distance he could make out the slightly yellowed teeth hanging in a jagged row over its bottom jaw. “That's a lot of teeth ...”

“And scaled armor ...” Sheik agreed dryly.

“Tell me you have a plan for dragons,” Link beseeched longingly. Sheik gave him a flat look and shook his head. “We're so very screwed.”

“Love the positive attitude, Hero,” Sheik snorted. “Look, it’s sleeping, so just sneak your green-clad butt over there and lop its head off before it wakes up.”

“That’s your plan?” Link hissed indignantly. Sheik shrugged and grinned. “Thanks, glad you came back to help me. I could have never done it without you.”

“If you get in trouble I’ll be right behind you,” Sheik said as they slipped past the boulder and into the volcano.

“Oh goody,” Link whispered back. Taking a deep, calming breath Link carefully began to pick his way across the room. The room was sweltering and even when he placed his feet on the solid black rocks, he could feel the earth slipping and sliding under foot. He swallowed hard and prayed his boots would not melt.

He stepped over the last small stream of melted rock and onto the large island. The dragon loomed over him, its massive sides moving in and out as it breathed. It seemed even larger than it had in Kakariko. A claw as long as his arm gouged into the rock as it dreamed. Link glanced over his shoulder to see Sheik standing at the very edge of the island, his green eyes turned up in awe.

Wishing he could remove his boots to make a softer approach, Link climbed closer. The dragon’s head was almost as tall as he was an was set upon an thick neck armed with scales, each half the size of his shield and just as thick. Triangle spines jutted up along the ridge of its back, long and sharp as daggers. Link stood next to the great beast and wondered how he could possibly cut past the scales, much less through its neck entirely.

The glint of silver and red caught his eye as the dragon shifted, its scales rattling as they rubbed against the rock and each other. Link turned his head to stare at the crown of silver and ruby jewels. Again he felt that tug in his chest, something telling him that the crown was the important part. The sword pulsed in his hand.

He took another deep breath, this time as quietly as he possibly could and, gripping the hilt in both hands, raised the sword over his head. He carefully aimed at the crack in the jewel where his arrow, still softly glowing, was lodged. The tingle of magic rushed into his veins and up into the waiting sword.

His back arched, giving him just a smidge more leverage, and a rock under his foot gave way and clattered down the side of the island. A molten gold eye the size of a dinner plate snapped open, its slit pupil contracted and focused on him, and for a moment Link realized he could see his reflection in its glassy surface.

“Oh shit...”

The dragon roared as it reared up. Link’s eyes followed its head hypnotically as it rose thirty feet into the air, while its feet stayed firmly on the ground. Huge leathery wings half opened. White hot flames licked angrily at its lips.

Link ducked behind his new shield and prayed it would hold up. The blast of fire was so strong it pushed him across the smooth rock. He heard Sheik shout his name, but ignored him in favor of keeping the shield between himself and the flames. Link felt the magic in the shield pool around his arm; without thinking he grabbed hold of it and shoved.

The shield responded by pushing the flames back. Surprised by the reaction, Link stumbled and the flames bounced off his shield into the dragon’s chest. The dragon screeched in surprise and paused in its attack. Several flashes of silver split the air and hit the dragon in the neck. Sheik’s throwing stars bounced off the thick scales uselessly before clattering to the rocks below.

“Move!” Sheik snapped. The dragon hissed and swung its spiked tail at Sheik as if he were nothing but an annoying fly. The older man managed to dodge under the blow and swung at the tail with his twin blades, but they proved as usefuless as the stars.

Link used the distraction to retreat back to the edge of the lava, but it hardly seemed far enough. The movement attracted the dragon’s attention and it sent another blast of fire at him. With nowhere to go, Link brought up his shield. As the flames kissed the mirror bright surface, the magic throbbed and the attack bounced off the armor.

The dragon roared as its own flames hit it in the face. The jewel flashed as it thrashed its head wildly, sensitive eyes squeezed closed. The great wings spread and Link realized it was going to take off.
He did not think, his feet just moved. The dragon crouched and he jumped, grabbing onto the edge of a scale low on the dragon’s shoulder. There was a great rush of wind and he vaguely heard Sheik shout at him. Daring a glance down, Link watched the world fall away as a single stroke of the wings took them fifty feet into the air. Sheik stared up at him, his green eyes huge and his jaw slack. Link was sure his stomach had dropped out and stayed on the ground.

Swallowing hard, Link looked back up. The dragon did not seem to have noticed him, and was still trying to clear its vision. Suddenly, it banked sharply to miss flying into the wall. Link thanked the Goddesses that its choice of direction had brought the shoulder he hung from up instead of leaving him hanging in midair.

Taking advantage of his luck, Link scrambled quickly along the dragon’s side, clambering along its neck – using the ridge spikes for balance – towards its head. He made it halfway before the dragon noticed him. Whipping its head around, it snapped blindly at him, the huge teeth snapping closed less than a foot from his leg. He yelped and moved farther up the neck as quickly as he could.

The dragon roared in frustration as he moved too high for it to reach him. Link ground his teeth together as it thrashed about, trying to buck him off. He caught sight of the molten ground below and hung on tighter. Even one of the spikes trying to gouge through his chain mail and into his chest did not loosen his grip.

The dragon relented and Link began to crawl forward again, this time much slower – fear of falling overriding fear of the dragon’s teeth. Every time the dragon thrashed he stopped his movement and hung on. The ride was sickening. The dragon thrashed and banked, switching Link’s view from shiny black walls, to sky of pale blue, to deadly rivers of melted rock. Barrel rolls sent these scenes by in dizzying succession, until Link could only close his eyes and wait for the spinning to stop.

His breathing was coming in painful gasps and every muscle ached as he pulled himself onto the dragon’s head. By now it was thrashing for all it was worth, doing everything to try and shake him off. Using all the strength he could muster, Link pulled out his sword. The dragon roared, a deafening sound so close to Link’s ears, and spewed fire in frustration.

Concentrating on just holding on with his legs, Link raised the sword, held like a giant dagger in both hands, over his head. With all his strength he thrust it straight down into the jewel on the dragon’s head.

Link’s back arched. The jewel shattered. And everything became red light.