Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Happy Easter Legolas ❯ Rumors, Dungeons and Questions ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 3

Rumors, Dungeons and Questions

Legolas didn't listen to his father's voice. It went on and on and eventually faded away into the distance. Blinded by his tears, Legolas did not see the brambles and sticks that scratched at him nor did he feel the small amounts of pain they caused him, all he could do was keep running. Over logs and through thickets, under over hanging branches and leaping across streams Legolas went until he at last reached the clearing where Thranduil had left half their supplies and Raven and Brownie.

Coming to a stop, Legolas took deep gasping breaths and tried to calm himself before his Ada arrived. Despite his mad flight, Legolas realized that his Ada wouldn't be far behind him. Thranduil could take much bigger and quicker steps, even at a walking pace, then Legolas could when doing a half heartened run through the woods.

Legolas was right because Thranduil suddenly appeared only a minute later with the brothers and their Ada hung over his shoulders. Thranduil didn't look at Legolas, nor did he say a word. Instead, he placed the brothers over Legolas' pony and their Ada over his horse. He tied all three to the horse or pony and then collected the remainder of their supplies and mounted Raven. He indicated that Legolas should mount Brownie. The young prince hesitated only for a moment before sighing and getting up.

* * *

They rode back to the palace the way they had come. Neither said a word, Thranduil because he sensed Legolas didn't feel like talking and needed a little space and Legolas because he was angry with his father and it was his way of punishing him for capturing the three strange elves even though they had done nothing wrong according to Legolas.

They entered the palace back through the side gate but instead of putting away their horses and sneaking in side, Thranduil led Legolas towards the guard's quarters.

* * *

`Pelain!' called Thranduil. The captain of the guards appeared instantly. `By the Valar your Majesty! Where have you been?!' asked Pelain angrily. `I've wasted countless hours look-,' Pelain stopped short as Thranduil got close enough for him to see what was slung across his horse. `Who on Middle Earth is that?' asked Pelain. Thranduil pulled back the elf's hood to reveal his identity.

Pelain and the other four or five soldiers with the captain gasped. `Great scott! It's a bloody Noldor,' said Pelain, his voice stunned. `Aye, I found him out in the woods or rather Legolas did and a set of twins with him which Legolas tells me are his sons,' replied Thranduil. The guards turned their attention to Legolas and the two elflings he was carrying. Legolas just stared icily in another direction.

`I want you to lock up the twins down in the dungeons but make sure they get good food and preferably a dungeon with a window, I hear that the Noldor don't do too well without air.' Legolas bristled at his father's comment but said nothing. `I want the father here taken to the healing wing and cleaned up. When he awakes give him three days rest and then throw him down in the dungeons also but no where near his sons, you never know what treacherous things the Noldor can get up to if placed together. He is to have a guard of two soldiers at all times beside his bed and then outside his cell when he is later moved to the dungeon.'

Pelain nodded and took the unconscious elf from Thranduil. Legolas didn't wait for his father to address him; instead, he scrambled off Brownie and ran towards the gardens. He didn't see the guards stare after him in puzzlement or his father's sad look, he just ran.

* * *

It was many hours later when Thranduil came in search of him. Legolas was currently perched in the leafy branches of a birch tree watching the clouds roll by.

`Legolas, would you come down please?' asked Thranduil. Legolas considered ignoring his father but then thought better of it; he knew what Thranduil's temper could be like.

`Yes Ada?' he asked dropping down in front of Thranduil. `I know you're upset and it's hard for you to understand what's going on,' began Thranduil getting straight to the point. `But you need to understand that I'm only doing this to keep you safe.' Thranduil motioned that they should walk as they talked. Legolas just shrugged and trailed after his father.

`There are other elves in this world,' explained Thranduil, `and they can be very dangerous. The three we found today are known as Noldor elves, usually with brown hair and brown or grey eyes though they can be blue or black. They are, what you might call, tricksters. They look innocent enough but turn your back on them and they will hurt you. It's almost good luck you might say that the adult Noldor stepped into that hunting trap. We may not have discovered them other wise because Noldor elves can be very sneaky.' In truth, Thranduil hadn't met a Noldor elf for many years but he had been brought up to believe that Noldor elves were not to be trusted.

`So what,' mumbled Legolas. `So what?' repeated Thranduil and knelt down in front of Legolas. `My son, they are very dangerous and I'm just trying to protect you from them.' `But would you allow Ellandan and Elrohir to have no one else to protect them?' said Legolas looking straight into his father's eyes. `Would you lock me up too if my hair was brown and my eyes were grey and I liked to play tricks? Even if I was just an elfling like Ellandan and Elrohir?'

Thranduil was speechless. Legolas chose that moment to drag himself out of his father's grip and run back towards the palace. Thranduil stared after Legolas and found for the second time that day, that he again, had not the heart to call Legolas back. A solitary tear ran down the elf's cheek before he angrily brushed it away and stormed back to the palace.

* * *

Over the next day, Legolas avoided his father where ever possible. He saw important elven lords that lived in different parts of Greenwood arrive and he heard many rumors about the three Noldor elves, even tales that included him. `I heard that the prince had a huge fight with the king over the matter and has secretly been visiting those three nasty elves for years then the king found out.' `That's nothing, I heard that the adult Noldor is a demon and has bewitched the prince so that he fights with his father.' The rumors hurt but for the most part, Legolas ignored them and was too young to feel their bite for very long anyway.

It was late that day that Legolas suddenly found himself down in the depths of the palace. Having yet again had to hide because another sweep of servants and guards had come looking for him so they could bring him to the king, Legolas had gone to the dungeons as a last resort. He had always been forbidden from going down there mainly because some unruly prisoner could catch him as he passed their cell and kill him but tired after a long day of hiding, Legolas had decided he didn't really care.

He wandered aimlessly for awhile but soon realized that he had become hopelessly lost. Tired, disorientated and hurt, Legolas simply sat down in a dark corner and cried softly.

He was stopped however, when a soft voice suddenly called out. Legolas' head snapped upwards and he scanned the hallway for any sign of the voice's owner but could see nothing. `Don't cry,' said the voice suddenly. Legolas' head swiveled and turned towards a large door on the opposite side of the hall.

Getting up, he tried to tidy up his appearance and then he walked over to the door. He was too small to see inside so he grabbed a chair from nearby and put it up against the door then climbed up onto it.

He was amazed to see two small and bedraggled shapes huddling in the damp cell. Both the shapes looked up and Legolas recognized the faces of Ellandan and Elrohir.

`Legolas!' shouted the brothers, their faces lighting up. Legolas smiled brightly and instantly forgot his tears. `Hello,' he said brightly. `Oh Legolas,' said Elrohir or perhaps it was Ellandan, Legolas didn't know, bounding forwards. `Where is our Ada? We haven't seen him for a whole day. Is he alright?' `He's fine,' replied Legolas and that was the truth as far as he knew. He had heard that the brother's father was now only sleeping surprisingly although Legolas had no idea why it was surprising and that he should awake any day now.

The brother nodded his acceptance of Legolas' answer and sat back down beside his brother. `How long are we going to be here?' asked the other brother. `I don't know,' answered Legolas. The two elflings sighed and looked back up at Legolas. The prince suddenly remembered three important questions he had wanted to ask Ellandan and Elrohir.

`What are twins? That's what my Ada called you,' said Legolas. The brothers looked stunned and then suddenly burst out laughing. `Twins,' said one finally getting his breath back, `are two people that look and act almost exactly the same,' he explained, `except they aren't the same. Elrohir has an odd ear, one sticks out a little farther then the other.' Legolas realized that the brother speaking had to be Ellandan because he suddenly tugged Elrohir's left ear to show that it did indeed, stick out a little father then the other. Elrohir just laughed good naturedly and slapped Ellandan's hand away.

Legolas nodded and digested this information before moving onto his second question, which was a lot more delicate, then his first. `Why couldn't you smell your Ada's blood?' he asked. The twins looked slightly surprised but then Elrohir said simply, `I couldn't smell it, just the berries.' Ellandan nodded his agreement. Legolas sighed; all that told him was that he had a stronger sense of smell then the other two, which made no sense.

He then moved onto the last question and asked, `what were you doing in Greenwood? My Ada said that Noldor elves aren't really liked here and live elsewhere. I'm not supposed to talk to you either but I do anyway, I think you're both really nice.' Ellandan shrugged. `It's great that you like us Legolas but no one else seems to, I don't know why. We were only here because our Ada took us on a trip, he's been promising us for ages and he finally took us hunting on the other side of the Misty Mountains. He told us about Greenwood which I guess is where we are now but he seemed like he didn't really want to come here. Anyway, we were off hunting on the planes when suddenly this pack of orcs shows up and scares us so we had to come into Greenwood and hide because they blocked off all chance of us running back home. We came in a long way and got lost. We saw other elves like you but Ada wouldn't let us talk to them and then he got shot so we had no choice. I sent Elrohir to get help and then, well you know the rest.' Legolas nodded and jumped suddenly as a loud bang echoed up the hallway.

`I better go,' said Legolas. He waved goodbye and didn't wait to see if the twins did. Quickly he put back the chair and then raced up the hallway. He ran for ages until his lungs began to burn as if they were on fire. He finally stopped and caught his breath. It was some time before he realized that he was back in a familiar part of the palace.

Casting one final look around, Legolas cautiously made his way upstairs and into his room. He didn't bother to undress and collapsed down onto his bed. Within moments, he was fast asleep; after all, it had been a long day.

*************************************************************** *********************************************

Author's Note:

Well that's it for another chapter. I have yet to get any reviews but I suppose that's because this story has only been out a few days and I need to give people time to read this. Anyway, I hope any who are reading this are enjoying it so far because I know I am. Have a great Easter everyone and I'll soon have another chapter out for you.

Legolas' age is anyone's guess so I've tied him in as been a few years younger then the twins. I know this story definitely does not stick to J.R.R. Tolkin's timeline but it was never meant to. It is just a quick tale, which doesn't have much back ground research done on it. Anyway, I'm madly trying to remember to tell you guys these things so anything I miss you have to report to me if you want them explained or fixed. Thanks! ^_~