Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Happy Easter Legolas ❯ The Escape ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Author's Note: Hi1 Sorry I haven't been around in practically ages but I'd actually forgotten that I'd posted this story here. Anyway, I've also been busy with my first set of exams and hey, now I'm on holidays! Yay! So I've got plenty of time and I'll probably finish this story by the end of the holidays. (Hopefully that is. : / ) So yeah, you're all very lucky because you're gonna get 4 chapters in one go! ^_^

Chapter 4

The Escape

His head pounded dully but he couldn't understand why. Darkness lay all around him and he had yet to understand why the darkness would not let him rise out of the realms of sleep and back to the light. He sighed and decided he was just going to have to wait for awhile. The only thing he knew was that his name was Elrond.

A sliver of breeze passed over his face, that one breeze was the trigger and he suddenly felt as if he had been placed in a catapult and hurled forwards at a tremendous speed only to be bought up short.

Elrond cracked open his eyes slightly and gazed out at his surroundings. He was in a bed in a dark room. The window above his head was thrown open to allow the night time air into his room. Deciding that he was cold however and would prefer to shut the window, he nearly moved before he suddenly realized that he was not alone, on either side of his bed he could see two solitary figures. Something told Elrond that they had yet to notice his awakening and that it was best to remain still and try to access the situation.

He lay that way for what he guessed to be at least three hours. His muscles cramped terribly before he decided that yes, he was right, he did have guards on either side of him and he must be in Greenwood. His memory was still vague and hazy and then he suddenly remembered; the arrow! Where were Elladan and Elrohir? He shuddered slightly at the thought of what may have happened to them. He had to get out of here.

Elrond felt adrenalin surge through his veins, quickly he sprang out of bed, surprising the guards on either side of him. Frantically he searched the room for some kind of weapon and caught sight of the poker stick lying by the fire. Picking it up, he whirled to face his opponents. Fierce pain ripped through his shoulder at the sudden movement and he hastily switched the weapon to his left hand.

Definitely Greenwood guards he realized, their long blond hair and fierce green eyes marked them well enough without the make of their armor and the symbols of Greenwood stitched into their clothing telling him. One had drawn his bow and had it aimed right at his heart while the other had a pair of white handled long blades.

`Put the poker down,' commanded the guard with the bow in elfish. `No,' Elrond spat back angrily. `Where are my children?' he demanded instead. The guard did not answer, instead he told him again to put the poker down. Elrond sighed and closed his eyes then lowered the poker. This type of action looked like he was giving in but he knew other wise. He opened his eyes again and saw what he needed to see, the first guard had lowered his bow and the other had sheathed his blades and was moving in to tie him up.

In one fluid movement Elrond threw the poker, it was thrown so quickly and with such accuracy, that the temporary weapon pierced the first guard's loose clothing at his side and pulled him back against the wall. He struggled to get free but it was of little use, Elrond gracefully let his momentum from the throw carry him forward and he kicked the second guard hard in the chest. He didn't wait to see if the guards had recovered; instead, he made a wild run for the door and skidded out into the hall beyond.

Through the strange palace he now found himself in he raced, up stairs, down corridors and through numerous rooms. Vaguely he saw the beauty of the palace he was in but he had no time to stop and admire it. Guards were racing after him but Elrond was frightened and yet determined that he would escape and this determination empowered him with the speed of the wind itself; none could catch him, no arrow could pierce him and nothing could slow his feet beneath him.

At last however, even his determination dwindled and he realized that he needed somewhere to hide. Coming to a stop in a quieter part of the palace, he listened at several doors in a long hallway but each room was always met with silence. Finally, he decided that he might as well enter the last room and he did.

Inside it was dark but Elrond's keen elven eyesight missed nothing. He was in someone's bedroom; an elfling's he guessed due to the numerous toys strewn about on the floor. The bed was rumpled on top but still made and the door to a small balcony outside was thrown wide open.

Elrond sighed; at least this room was deserted. Deciding that he needed a little fresh air, Elrond walked over and stepped out onto the balcony. He was horrified when he realized the mistake he had made. Sitting on the balcony railing just out of his line of sight was the bedroom's owner, a little elfling.

He turned his bright blue eyes on Elrond. Some of Elrond's fear faded to be replaced with confusion. He was sure he'd seen blue eyes like those somewhere before. The young elfling was clearly just as surprised, if not a little fearful.

`Um, I'll just be going,' mumbled Elrond. He turned to head back inside when the little elfling's voice stopped him. `Wait.' Elrond turned back. `Are you O.K. now?' he asked. Elrond frowned, what kind of a question was that? Why should this child care about whether he was alright or not? `Why do you ask?' he questioned. The young elfling looked down and Elrond realized that he was only a few years younger then his own two sons.

`Elladan and Elrohir were worried about you, that's all.' Elrond froze, `did you just say Elladan and Elrohir?' he asked. The elfling nodded. Elrond sat down on the balcony railing. `Do you know where they are?' he asked, barely daring to believe his own question. `Yes,' he mumbled. `What is your name child?' `Legolas,' responded the elfling. `How did someone as small as you come to know this?' asked Elrond. Legolas squirmed slightly and looked uncomfortable.

`They're looking for you aren't they?' questioned Legolas instead. `Aye, they are,' responded Elrond. `You can hide in my room if you want,' said Legolas. Elrond arched an eyebrow at the elfling's statement. `I don't think that would be a good idea,' he explained gently. Legolas sighed and looked downcast again. Elrond could see the child was hurting but for what reason, he could not say though he strongly suspected that it had something to do with him.

`You're not a bad person,' mumbled the elfling. Elrond was again surprised. `And why would I be a bad person?' he said. `Because Noldor elves are mean and play tricks on you,' said Legolas quietly. `But you don't believe that do you?' finished Elrond. Legolas shook his head and sighed then looked up at Elrond again. `Please hide in my room, I know I'm only little but I also know that it wouldn't be wise for you to go looking for Elladan and Elrohir, you'd be recognized easily and everyone's looking for you now anyway.' Something about the elfling made Elrond want to trust the youngster and he was right in any case. Everyone was looking for him right now; maybe he should wait till tomorrow. `Alright,' he said. Elrond realized he was entrusting his life to the youngster but it seemed right to Elrond's instincts and Elrond had learnt long ago to trust his instincts.

Legolas smiled for the first time since Elrond had met him. He allowed Legolas to lead him back inside. Legolas then hid Elrond in a small cubby in the corner of his room. It was a bit cramped but would do Elrond told him. Legolas just smiled brightly again and disappeared shortly, Elrond assumed he went back to bed so he settled himself down for the night. He was quite surprised however, when Legolas retuned 15 minutes later with a dark blue robe for Elrond to wear and a few apples for him to eat. Elrond smiled gratefully. He had no idea where Legolas had gotten the robe and food but he now added Legolas' trait of cleverness to his list of been wise, kind and sensible as well. Elrond wondered what other surprising qualities he would find in his new found friend.

Elrond chuckled to himself and in next to no time, was fast asleep.

* * *

Legolas smiled to himself as he snuggled down under the covers. He had a plan now and hopefully, all would go well and then Easter would not become a day with a shadow hanging over it but a day of happiness like Legolas hoped it would be. His Ada was wrong about the Noldor elves and he intended to prove it.