Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Happy Easter Legolas ❯ Missing Elves and Puzzleing Threats ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 5

Missing Elves and Puzzling Threats

`Legolas! Open this door,' came an angry voice. Startled from his peaceful sleep, Legolas tumbled out of bed to land in a pile of sheets and blankets. He caught sight of Elrond poking his head out of his cubby and suddenly, he remembered the events of last night.

Hastily he signaled for Elrond to get back into the cubby. Elrond shot Legolas a baffled look before quickly disappearing back into the cubby. `Legolas open up!' shouted Thranduil again; he did not like to be kept waiting.

Quickly Legolas tidied his appearance before taking a deep breath to calm his nerves and then opening the door. His father stood on the threshold, had he been a big, fat human, Legolas was almost certain that his father's face would be bright purple with anger. As it was, his face was as threatening as a gigantic thunder storm.

Thranduil stepped into the room and Legolas hastily turned and began to tidy up all the toys he'd left lying around, his father was definitely in a bad mood this morning.

`Stop that Legolas,' commanded Thranduil. Legolas obeyed silently and sat down on his bed. Thranduil sat down on the bed beside his son. `Legolas, last night the Noldor elf that you found managed to escape, we've been unable to find any trace of him and yet he must still be on the palace grounds, no one can get in or out without me knowing. I just want you to be careful alright, as a prince, you could be fair play to this stranger, he could use you against me so you need to be on your guard at all times. I suggest staying in your room and keeping a low profile.' Legolas nodded and then looked back at his father. `Is that all?' he asked coolly.

Thranduil flinched inwardly, Legolas was obviously still mad with him he summarised and was probably glad that the Noldor had gotten away. `Aye that is all, I don't have more time to speak with you now about the events that took place yesterday and the day before so if I send you for you then you'd best come to me at once. No more avoiding me alright?'

Thranduil looked sternly at his son and at last, Legolas relented with a sigh. `Alright,' he agreed, he liked his Ada far too much to be angry with him forever.

`Good,' said Thranduil. He was gone within moments, the door slamming shut behind him. Legolas let out a sigh of relief and turned towards the cubby. Elrond was cautiously emerging dressed in the blue robe Legolas had given him last night.

`I take it that was your father,' he said raising a finely cut eyebrow at Legolas. The elfling blushed slightly, a bit embarrassed at his father's actions only moment's ago. `Aye,' he responded. `You are apparently a very dangerous person and my Ada is rather a little worried that you may do something to me.'

Elrond nodded absently as he digested this information. `Well, I might as well be off.' `No!' cried Legolas as Elrond turned to walk out the door. He turned back startled. Legolas blushed a second time. `At least let me lead you to them,' he said softly. `I'm sure you don't know where they are. Elrohir and Elladan that is.'

Elrond smiled softly and knelt down in front of Legolas. `You've helped me enough,' he said gently. `I don't want you to be caught up in this, it isn't you fight and I would hate for your father to get the wrong idea and think that you've been helping me all along.' `But-,' protested Legolas. Elrond shook his head firmly and placed a finger on Legolas' lips, silencing his protests. `No,' he answered. `I am a grown elf and I can take care of myself. I will find them; you needed have any fear of that. You and your people are not the only elves in all of Middle Earth that know how to sense when another is close by.'

Elrond smiled gently and rose to his feet. Softly he said thank you and then he was gone, slipping out the door and into the palace beyond.

* * *

All day guards searched for the missing Noldor elf but none could find him. Legolas grew incredibly bored and summarised that the twins' Ada was either still laying low or had found his sons and was waiting for the right moment to free them. Legolas knew that the two guards his father had placed on the twins' cell were checked on every half hour to make sure nothing happened to them so the Noldor elf would only have a maximum of half an hour in which to make his escape. Definitely not long enough.

Around mid-afternoon Legolas' father sent for him. The little elfling was led into his father's study and then the door shut behind him, leaving him alone with Thranduil.

Legolas watched his father nervously as he finished reading and signing another paper before looking up to address his son. Thranduil looked tired; lines were etched around his eyes and mouth and the usual fire within his eyes had dulled slightly.

Neither spoke but at length, Thranduil sighed and began to speak. `The Noldor still hasn't been found; I am beginning to think that perhaps he did find a way out.'

Legolas said nothing. He knew the Noldor was still around but as to where he was, well it could be anywhere. `I know you know something Legolas,' said Thranduil interrupting Legolas' thoughts. The prince paled slightly but let no other emotions show. He had learned long ago how to be a good liar when it suited him, he wasn't a liar by nature to his father but when it concerned the older elflings coming looking for a fight, he knew all the tricks of the trade.

Thranduil waited, letting the weight of his words settle down on his son's shoulders. For awhile neither said nothing until Thranduil suddenly slammed his fist down on his desk. Legolas jumped and looked at his father in surprise; he'd never seen Thranduil this angry before.

`I'm sorry,' the elfling whispered as he hurriedly searched his mind for something he could tell his father other than that he'd helped the Noldor last night. An idea came to Legolas and a few tears slid down his face, he knew he'd be in trouble for what he was about to tell his father but nothing like what would happen if he told Thranduil about the Noldor.

`When I was avoiding you yesterday I accidentally got lost down in the dungeons when some of the servants chased me. I didn't mean to and I was so lost that I started to cry.' The elfling bowed his head in shame before taking a deep breath and continuing.

`The twins heard me and called out to me. I went over to them and I know I wasn't supposed to but at the time, I wasn't thinking straight and I talked to them and asked them a few questions. I asked why they were in Greenwood in the first place and they told me they didn't mean to but they got chased in here by a bunch of orcs. They were trying to find their way out and avoid Greenwood elves when the twins Ada stepped into the trap.'

Thranduil felt his heart melt at his son's words. `This is a grave thing you are telling me Legolas,' he said softly. The quiet words were like a slap across the elfling's face but he said nothing.

The elven king sighed and leaned back in his chair. He rubbed his face and pushed his untidy hair out of the way before addressing Legolas. `Go now, I will need time to think of a suitable punishment for you.'

`I'm sorry Ada,' said Legolas one last time before turning and leaving the room. He closed the door quietly behind himself and heaved a sigh of relief but he still couldn't help feeling miserable and guilty about all that had happened.

At length, he mustered his strength and decided to head to the kitchens for a snack.

* * *

Thranduil shook his head sadly and decided he would finish a bit more work before thinking of a punishment for Legolas. He was quite upset over all that had occurred and realised it wasn't Legolas' fault that he'd wound up down in the dungeons but still, rules were rules and Legolas would have to be punished.

So preoccupied was Thranduil that he jumped when he felt something cold suddenly press into the side of his neck. Whatever it was was taken away before he could cut himself on it but replaced once he'd stopped moving.

His captor leaned forward until his mouth was right beside Thranduil's ear. As he did so, a brown braid fell forward right beside Thranduil's face. The king felt his blood boil; he couldn't believe he'd allowed himself to be taken off guard by the Noldor no less. He probably been in here the entire time Thranduil had; just waiting for the king to finally be alone. He could have kicked himself; why hadn't he sensed the Noldor sooner?

Surprisingly, the Noldor's voice was soft and gentle but determined as he spoke to Thranduil. It was definitely not cold as the elven king had expected. `A little birdy tells me that you're the one in charge here and if that's so then where are my sons?'

`I won't tell you anything,' snapped Thranduil. His captor did not laugh as Thranduil had expected but said almost sadly, `we are not so different, you and I.'

Thranduil didn't reply and the Noldor continued. `We are both willingly to protect our children and what is more, I have seen your likeness before in you father and he has seen me. I saw him in the last great alliance of men and elves when we both fought together and I am sorry for your loss but I liked him very much and would never have expected his son to be anything like this.'

`You know nothing of my father or me!' spat Thranduil. All this time the dagger hadn't left his throat despite the kindness in the Noldor's voice. `Quit playing games and be gone, I will not give you want and you can take nothing from me save my life and I am prepared to give it.'

`I am sorry but you are wrong if you think I won't take your life because I can and I will.' Thranduil swallowed and prepared himself for the fatal blow but it never came. The dagger was suddenly gone from his throat and Thranduil hurriedly turned to find any trace of the Noldor but he was gone; the curtains around the window left blowing in his wake.

He frowned in puzzlement, wondering what on middle earth he had meant by taking his life.