Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Happy Easter Legolas ❯ The Promised Guide Arrives ( Chapter 10 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 10

The Promised Guide Arrives

Thranduil groaned. He could hear someone calling to him but he wasn't really interested in who it was, he just wanted to go back to sleep and close off the terrible ache in his left arm and the blinding sunlight from above. However, the voice was persistent and after awhile Thranduil became aware of something light leaning on his chest and at his side. He eventually realised that whoever it was, wasn't going to go away and leave him in peace and that he was going to have to get up and do something about it.

With a second groan he opened his eyes and blinked against the bright morning sunlight. High above he noticed a grinning face framed with gold suddenly appear over the edge of a hole. Slowly Thranduil's memory returned and he recalled his flight with the twins and then his fall into the cavern and the setting of his broken arm.

Wincing, Thranduil pushed himself into a seated position. The movement awoke Elladan who blinked sleepily and glanced up at Thranduil. `Ho down there!' called the golden haired stranger from above. Elladan jerked and glanced upwards in surprise. `Glorfy!' he cried his face splitting into the happiest grin Thranduil had ever seen. `Hello Elladan,' called the stranger brightly.

`You,' growled Thranduil as he recognised the elf that had bowled him over and delivered the message from Elrond back in Greenwood. `Aye `tis I,' responded the elf, a mischievous glint appearing in his eyes.

`Elrohir wake up,' said Elladan shaking his brother. Elrohir moaned and swatted at his brother's hand but Elladan ignored him and continued to shake his brother. `Get up Elrohir, Glorfy's here!' persisted Elladan. The mention of Glorfy seemed to do the trick as Elrohir sat up immediately and rubbed the sleep from his eyes then glanced up at the golden haired elf. His face broke into a grin as big as his brother's had been a moment ago. `Glorfy,' he said. `What are you doing here?'

`Here to save you hide is why I'm here Elrohir,' responded the elf. `My name is Glorfindel,' he called down to Thranduil knowing that Thranduil did not truly believe that Glorfy was his name. After all, who had ever heard of such a silly name which sounded more like a young child's nickname for an elder as was certainly the case between these three it appeared.

Thranduil frowned, he had heard of the name Glorfindel before but he could not fathom where. He shrugged his shoulders however and decided it didn't matter. At least someone friendly had appeared to rescue them.

Glorfindel disappeared momentarily and suddenly reappeared and tossed a rope down to them. Snatching it up, Thranduil went over to Elladan and tied the rope firmly around his upper thighs so that he may sit on it like a swing. He winced as his broken arm protested against the movement but ignored it until he was sure Elladan was secure. Once done, Glorfindel disappeared and the rope suddenly tightened. Elladan was nearly thrown from his seat in surprise due to the sudden and swift jerk upwards.

Bit by bit Elladan was pulled up out of the cavern until at last Glorfindel reappeared and hauled the elder twin to safety. There were a few moments while Glorfindel presumably untied the elfling and then the rope was lowered back down and Thranduil tied Elrohir to it this time, still being mindful of his broken arm. Elrohir was quickly hauled to safety and untied and then the rope was lowered back down to Thranduil.

Taking his pack, Thranduil quickly checked that it was secure and that nothing would fall out before tying it to the rope and giving it a quick tug. The bag jerked upwards roughly and swung in a wide arc from the tug as there was a muffled thump from above and the sounds of the twins giggling.

Surprise etching his features, Glorfindel leaned back over the edge and peered down. `What's the matter?' asked Thranduil. `I just thought it was you on the rope is all and not your pack,' explained Glorfindel reddening slightly. `Arr,' said Thranduil realising that Glorfindel must have fallen over when he'd given the rope such a hard tug, not realising that it was Thranduil's pack and not he on the end of the line. The hard tug had overbalanced the elf who had fallen flat on his face in surprise. This was what had made the twins laugh so.

The pack quickly disappeared and then the rope was lowered again. `You can not lift me,' said Thranduil with surprise. I can't,' said Glorfindel reappearing, `but my friend can so tie yourself on,' he continued. He flashed the Sindarian elf a grin and then vanished.

Thranduil sighed and rubbed his face tiredly but did as he was told; being extra careful of his arm and holding it close to his chest. He was quite surprised when the rope suddenly pulled taunt and he was gradually lifted up out of the dreaded cavern where he had been captive for the past fifteen or so hours.

Once he reached the top and was hauled out he glanced over to discover that the rope which held him had been tied to a white stallion so that the horse might drag him out where Glorfindel's strength had failed. Glorfindel quickly untied the horse and then returned to Thranduil's side.

`Might I examine your injuries?' he asked. Thranduil scowled at the elf and replied, `no you may not. I already dealt with them myself.' `Fine,' replied Glorfindel unfazed at Thranduil's slight outburst and then turned and went to examine the twins. Both of them protested but Glorfindel would have none of it and gently chided them until the twins reluctantly submitted. Thranduil watched the blond haired elf and wondered if he had children of his own for he was certainly very gifted with the twins, a gift which only came with the experience of parenthood and Thranduil resolved to ask Glorfindel of it later but right now, he needed to find out exactly who this strange elf was.

Thranduil said nothing as Glorfindel packed away his rope and secured Thranduil's pack to his horse. He wasn't surprised to see that the elf had managed to find Rusty. The horse looked to be in excellent condition and nowhere near as tired as he had been when Thranduil had last seen the young colt. Then, Glorfindel led them out of the thicket and to the mountains beyond where he had located a small but adequately sized cave. They went inside and set up camp before settling down. Thranduil was glad Glorfindel had led them away to a safer place because he did not want to risk having the men that had chased them yesterday rediscover him.

`So, who are you and don't simply say Glorfindel because I need more specific information than just that,' questioned Thranduil. Glorfindel chuckled at settled back against the cave wall, a bowl of stew he had made in one hand and a flask of wine in the other. `I am from Rivendell and was sent to deliver your message but to more importantly, be your guide that Elrond mentioned in his letter,' he answered.

Thranduil nodded and stored away this information for later use. He rather liked Glorfindel's carefree disposition but he was not yet ready to admit that to Glorfindel or to himself for that matter. `So you will guide us to Rivendell now?' he asked. Glorfindel nodded. `Unless you still have your map that is,' said Glorfindel. Thranduil sighed and admitted that he did not have it and had lost it somewhere in his fall down the hill and then the drop into the cavern below.

`Have you been following us all along?' questioned Thranduil as he helped himself to some stew, idly glancing over to check on the twins who had fallen asleep against the cave wall not to far from where it rounded and headed out into the open. Glorfindel again nodded and took a long swing from his flask before elaborating on his answer.

`Just your tracks mainly,' he said. `I have only seen you at a distance a few times while out on the planes but I didn't really fear for you because there should have been no threat to you.' He sighed, `I guess I was wrong.' Thranduil nodded grimly and said, `I expect the men were slavers or something I suppose.' `Aye,' said Glorfindel just as grim. `They lost you yesterday but I had a closer look and they were indeed slavers, men from Umbar to be more precise,' said Glorfindel darkly. Thranduil's face darkened to match Glorfindel's. He had heard of the slavers from Umbar and didn't particularly want anything to do with them. They prowled the lands of Arda in small groups praying on groups of travellers up to about ten in number. Those captured were rarely seen again and it appeared that there was one group passing by at the moment.

`I'll come back later and wipe them out once you and the twins safely reach Rivendell,' declared Glorfindel. Thranduil nodded and said, `I just might join you in that.' Glorfindel smiled and shook his head before setting aside his now empty bowl and tossing his flask to Thranduil who caught it easily. Picking up his bow, Glorfindel went over to check on the twins as both of them had awoken just a few moments ago when they were roused by Thranduil's and Glorfindel's quiet conversation.

`Tell us a story,' begged Elrohir sitting up with a yawn. `Yeah,' agreed Elladan sleepily. `One about you and the balrog,' he added. Glorfindel tensed slightly and shook his head with a quick smile as he glanced back at Thranduil. The elven King was still drinking from the flask and appeared to be oblivious to their quiet conversation.

`Nay, not now as I must take up watch so that you and Thranduil may go to sleep for awhile and rest because you are quite tired after all that has happened and it will be a long day tomorrow,' answered Glorfindel. The twins pouted a bit before giving in a laying back to go to sleep. Glorfindel smiled once more and then stood up and slipped around the corner to the cave entrance beyond. The twins didn't really need to rest and it was only midday but Glorfindel wasn't taking any chances and Thranduil certainly needed the rest from what he had seen.

* * *

Thranduil tensed slightly and his face blanched as he heard Elladan ask to be told a story about Glorfindel and the balrog. How could he have been so blind? Of course he had heard the tale of Glorfindel of Gondilon, the legendary Balrog Slayer who had been granted the right to return to the living world by the Valar after he had also been slain by the dieing balrog in its last moments.

Cursing himself he quickly took a swing from the flask of wine as he noticed Glorfindel glance at him sharply but more to steady his nerves. He waited until Glorfindel had left the cave before sinking back against the stone wall with a sigh. Never mind he told himself. Glorfindel clearly was uncomfortable talking about the greet deed he had performed long ago and Thranduil realised that the elf desperately wanted to be talked to normally and not as one who should be held in awe.

Thranduil wisely decided that he would continue to uphold Glorfindel's belief that he did not know who he really was and talk to the elf as if he was just any other ordinary elf. It was the least he could do after all Glorfindel had done for him and thanks to this new piece of information, Thranduil finally felt that he could be at ease concerning Glorfindel and for the first time in many weeks, he went to sleep with no dark thoughts troubling his mind. For surely, if Glorfindel had befriended Elrond and if he himself was of Noldorian descent as Thranduil now remembered and realised, then Legolas must surely be in good hands and would be returned to him all in one piece.

Thranduil however, also realised he had made a grave mistake and decided that he would have to forgo his pride and present Elrond with a rather large apology when he arrived in Rivendell.