Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Happy Easter Legolas ❯ Reunited, Almost ( Chapter 11 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 11

Reunited, Almost

Legolas sighed and glanced with boredom at the toys that surrounded him but he had little interest in them. It had been nearly a month since he had left his home far behind and already it seemed that he had played with every single one of the twins' toys that he could find. He had been forbidden to climb the various trees surrounding Rivendell for fear that he might fall and Legolas just found that utterly ridiculous. He was a wood elf for Vala sake! He would never fall out of a tree in his entire life and he was sure of it. He was also forbidden to go near any of the waterfalls but he could understand that. His father had also forbidden him to go near rivers back at home in Greenwood but Legolas didn't really care because he didn't have much of an interest in water anyway. It was the trees he had known and grown to love since birth that he was particularly fond of.

There was a knock at the door pulling Legolas sharply out of his thoughts. The door opened and a tall elven lady stepped into the room, smiling at Legolas. `Hello little one,' said the lady to Legolas. `Hello Celebrian,' said Legolas with a huge sigh. Celebrian chuckled and knelt down beside Legolas amidst the toys. `Feeling just a tad bored are we?' asked Celebrian. Legolas sighed again and nodded that she was correct. `Well you could go and ask Erestor for a lesson,' said Celebrian. Legolas glanced at her sharply and shook his head furiously. There was no way he was going to be involved in another one of Erestor's lessons.

Celebrian laughed and pulled Legolas into her lap and then started to redo Legolas' hair, which had come loose sometime during the morning. She was constantly doing that but Legolas didn't really mind, he could barely remember when his own mother had done it for him and it was a comfort to have the elven lady do it for him.

She was the only other blond haired elf that Legolas had met and so he was particularly attached to her. Elrond had told Legolas that he had a friend named Glorfindel who should be returning soon who had blond hair as well and would teach Legolas some weaponry. Legolas looked forward to that day but until then he would have little to do without any playmates.

Celebrian was in truth the wife of Elrond, which Legolas knew and believed because he could see where the twins got their mischievous streak from. How little Legolas knew for Elrond had also been a twin in his youth for a while but as he had grown older he had taken on a large amount of responsibility which has gradually squashed the mischievous streak out of the elven lord save on rare occasions. His twin had also passed on long ago which didn't help matters.

Never the less, it was Celebrian who had spent hours with Legolas helping him rig up traps for Erestor. Only a few had worked but Legolas was particularly pleased about one trap which had put a fair few light streaks of green through the elven lord's hair. Erestor guessed that Celebrian and Legolas were behind it but there was little he could do to prove it other then a few annoyed remarks shot in their director.

`There,' said Celebrian once she was done. Legolas didn't bother to touch his hair knowing that it would be in perfect condition. Surprisingly, Legolas had only allowed Celebrian to do the style his Ada did for him in his hair and he would never do any of the styles that the Noldor elves wore.

`So why are you bored Legolas?' asked Celebrian. `You have a million toys here; you surely can't have played with them all.' `I think I have,' said Legolas, his small face very grave. `But it's just that I wish I had someone to play with,' he explained. Celebrian nodded in understanding. Legolas' first session with some playmates had not gone well and it had been his last. None of those three elflings had ever seen a blond haired elf before, not even Celebrian or Elrond's friend and had teased Legolas without mercy until Legolas had punched one of the elflings and had gotten into a huge scrap with them as a result. He had come out with a black eye, bleeding lip and a sprained wrist. Those wounds had all but healed now but the mental scars had been left behind and Legolas had stubbornly declared he would only play with Elladan and Elrohir and that was that.

With the twins away however, Legolas had little choice but to be left to his own devices. Elrond played with him when he could but it was hard to get away from the duties required of him as the Lord of Imladris. Celebrian also had her own duties but she didn't mind setting them aside for the youngster when she could. She hated to admit it but she had grown rather fond of the stubbornly proud elfling since Elrond had returned with him to Rivendell.

However, Celebrian's heart ached for the return of her children. She had been alarmed when Elrond had returned a week later then usual and with an unfamiliar elfling in tow and no sign of her own two beloved children. Now, once she had learned of all that had passed, she worried for her sons but had strangely discovered that though Legolas could never take the place Elladan and Elrohir had in her heart, he had created his own little area in Celebrian's heart and she found that she was really quite fond of the young, blond haired elfling. She loved him in her own way and wondered if perhaps such a trait had occurred in Thranduil as well.

She had heard much of the golden haired king from Elrond and that he should now be on his way to Rivendell with the twins and with Glorfindel watching from a safe distance. She had also heard that Thranduil was incredibly stubborn, stern and proud at heart, qualities which were easily reflected in his son.

Celebrian had wondered much since Legolas had come to Rivendell, if her husband had done the right thing and in the end, she had had to admit that Elrond had done the only thing he could do. Never the less, Celebrian had rarely slept in the past month and was beginning to fell the effects. Though elves could go for a long time without sleep or even food, they could not go forever. It was not like Elrond had had any choice. He could not make a clean get away with his sons and Thranduil was unwilling to give them up to Elrond. Therefore, the only thing he could do was trade.

With a sigh, Celebrian shook her golden head and then fixed her gaze upon Legolas. The elfling eyed her suspiciously knowing what troubled her soul yet lacking the correct words to comfort her. Therefore, Legolas laid a comforting hand upon her shoulder and gazed at her steadily, his blue eyes gravely reflecting his understanding and offering assurance at the same time. Celebrian felt her breath leave her body as she gazed back in wonder at the small act of compassion demonstrated in one so small and yet wise beyond his years. She smiled her thanks and though no words had passed between them, there was now a bond of understanding between them that could never be broken.

`Well, said Celebrian, `I have things to do but I will return to you around mid afternoon so that we may play together for a while. I just wanted to know if you were hungry or not.' Legolas shook his head stubbornly and insisted that he was not hungry which was what Celebrian had expected. The youngster ate little for one who was still growing yet Celebrian knew that Legolas possessed her own sons' trait and would go down to the kitchens during the night to pick up a little food. Like Elladan and Elrohir, he only ate when he was hungry which was usually during the night.

`Alright,' said Celebrian with a small smile. Standing up, she gave Legolas another brief smile before opening the door and slipping out, making sure to close it quietly because Erestor's room was just up the hall a little ways and Celebrian knew for a fact that the elf was sound asleep. Several long nights poring over papers involving a conflict and a plague between four or five villages near Rivendell had all but forced Erestor to work non stop in order to deal with the problem as Elrond also struggled to clear up some matters of his own with a group of Northern rangers that had stopped off in Rivendell recently.

With a firm shake of her head, Celebrian set off at a brisk pace down the hallway to the kitchens.

* * *

Legolas sighed and walked over to the window. Climbing out swiftly, he easily leapt the two metres between the window sill and the branch of a large oak. He wasn't supposed to go out the window but he did anyway. He had never been caught doing it and besides, he decided that he should like to be in the company of the trees for a while.

He sat down against the tree trunk and remained that way for some time as he quietly listened to the voices of the trees as they spoke of many things to him. The trees had been in the company of elves for many years yet never one as different as this one. He was actually more connected to them and they enjoyed the way he would sit and listen to them and the tales they told and he would tell them tales and they in turn would listen to his soft voice. He spoke of the trees of his own home and they spoke of battles and elves that had passed beneath their branches for many years though they did not realise that their young charge had no interest in history but would listen to them anyway.

Eventually Legolas tired of this and reluctantly decided that he really wanted to give it another go with the elflings but he would be sure to find some different elflings this time. Therefore, he respectfully bid the trees farewell and then stood up and began to traverse through the branches of the trees looking for a little company.

After a while, he came upon a group of five elflings near a small pool on the outskirts of the kitchen gardens. They had just finished having a swim and were walking back up the path towards the garden talking animatedly between themselves and laughing a good deal. Legolas smiled brightly and sat down on the branch to watch them.

As they got closer, the prince picked up what they were talking about, it appeared that they were going to be playing a game of tag in Lord Elrond's gardens now. It was a well known fact that the elven lord didn't mind youngsters playing in his gardens so long as they were careful not to destroy any of Elrond's gardens. The gardens had been fairly empty of late due to the absence of the twins however; it appeared that at least some people still wanted to play in the gardens.

Smiling, Legolas swung back so that he was dangling by the crook of his knees and without even waiting for the swinging motion to cease, he let go and landed lightly in front of the group, clearly startling them. Legolas smiled brightly, `Hi! I couldn't help but overhear that you and your friends are going to go play tag in Lord Elrond's gardens. I was wondering if I could play too.' Legolas directed the question at the elfling who appeared to be the leader of the small group. He was a little older then Legolas with almost black hair and large hazel eyes.

Once the elfling recovered, he stared at Legolas curiously. `So you're the funny elfling that Lord Elrond brought home,' he stated. Legolas frowned slightly. `Well I don't think I'm funny,' he said. `But if you think so then that's O.K.,' he replied with a shrug. `Hey! You're the one who hurt Hinuail,' said another elfling accusingly stepping to the front of the group. He was smaller than the rest but definitely as old as the leader with chestnut hair and blazing green eyes.

The others stared at Legolas in surprise and then there faces darkened in anger as realisation dawned upon them. While Legolas may have been an elf, he was very different from them and not one of them as far as they were concerned. They had all heard what had happened to Hinuail and his friends and they hadn't been pleased by what they had heard. Most of the elflings were actually very close friends with Hinuail though Legolas had little way of knowing this. Even their parents had a little ill feeling towards the Sindarian prince after that incident had occurred though they had no idea that Legolas was a prince and that if anything happened to him, once his father reached Imladris, he would be sure to deal with the trouble makers.

Legolas too looked surprised for a moment but then remembered the elfling he had beat up a few weeks ago. He winced inwardly but raised his hands in a sigh of peace. `I didn't do it on purpose,' he said.

`So you admit it!' said another elfling to Legolas' right. `We don't take kindly to those who hurt our friends,' said the leader whom Legolas had thought only moments ago would be his friend. `I meant no harm and he was teasing me,' said Legolas backing up a bit and starting to feel a little apprehensive at his current situation. `Let's get him!' cried the elfling who had first recognized him as the one who beat up Hinuail.

Too surprised to react, Legolas was caught and dragged back towards the pond, struggling all the way. He would not go down without a fight.

Though Legolas struggled viciously, it was of little use as the elflings threw him in the pool and then pulled him out and started throwing mud at him while two elflings held onto his arms so that he could not run away. His clothes quickly ripped at places in the struggle and his blond hair came loose to fall about his face and shoulders. He also sustained another black eye when he freed his arm from one elfling but the other tripped him over and Legolas crashed to the ground, forcefully slamming his face onto the first elfling's knee who had fallen in the scuffle.

At last, when Legolas was nearly beside himself and the tears were threatening to come, the elflings released him and pushed him back towards the pool before turning and running off, each congratulating the other at a lesson well taught or so they believed.

Legolas stumbled and collapsed at the muddy pool edge. He stared after them, momentarily stunned, before he got up and fled. The tears fell but he barely noticed nor did he notice where he was going as he slowly headed out of Rivendell and away from safety.

* * *

Celebrian hurried quickly through the halls of her home to Elladan's and Elrohir's room where she had last left Legolas. She knew she was at least several hours late and it was nearly dusk but it could hardly be helped. She had put off many of her duties as of late for Legolas and so had been unable to leave the kitchens until she finished overseeing the several things that needed doing there first. Unfortunately she had been longer than she had first expected.

She nearly crashed into Erestor as she rounded a corner. It appeared that he had just arisen and was in a terribly foul mood as he usually was just after he woke up. His hair was still tousled, his robes in disarray and he still only had a pair of socks on.

`Sorry Erestor,' said Celebrian sympathetically knowing that Erestor was still very tired. Erestor just waved her off and continued to stalk down the hallway, grumbling all the way.

Going slower this time, Celebrian approached her sons' bedroom door and entered quietly. She was surprised to discover the room empty but then smiled softly; figuring Legolas had finally gone off and made an effort to amuse himself sometime during the day.

With a shake of her head she was about to leave when she suddenly heard the clatter of hooves in the courtyard below. Puzzled, she crossed over to the window and peered out at the courtyard. She felt her heart miss a beat as two horses suddenly galloped into the courtyard bearing two, tall golden haired elves and two young, brown haired elflings.

* * *

Elrond sighed and cast aside his quill in disgust. Deciding that he had done enough work for one day he stood and made his way down to the courtyard below. Some inner instinct had awoken in Elrond and he didn't try to ignore it but rather, let it lead him downstairs.

Thus, it was that Lord Elrond stood upon the steps of the House of Elrond, the last homely house in Middle Earth and was there to greet the four riders as they cantered into the courtyard.

He smiled widely as he watched his sons scramble to be let off the horses and allowed to go to him. Laughing, he knelt and hugged them furiously, almost afraid to let them go. Celebrian was by his side moments later and hugging her children as well, tears of happiness streaming down her face as the worry was at last lifted from her shoulders.

Leaving his sons with his wife momentarily, Elrond stood and clasped Glorfindel silently on the shoulder as the elf dismounted to greet him. He smiled warmly and Glorfindel smiled in return. `Thank you mellon nin,' said Elrond softly. Glorfindel chuckled and shook his head. `It was a long way there and back again but I have brought them home to you,' he said. Elrond smiled once more and then turned to face Thranduil.

`Hannon le Thranduil,' said Elrond to the Sindarian King. There was no warmth in Thranduil eyes but Elrond had expected that and did not begrudge Thranduil for it. `You're welcome,' said Thranduil stiffly and then continued. `I have kept up my end of the bargain, now you must keep yours. Where is my son? Where is Legolas?'

Elrond turned to Celebrian. `Did you ask anyone to find Legolas and inform him that his father is here?' asked Elrond. Celebrian shook her head. `I was actually on my way to see him just before everyone arrived,' she explained. `I didn't find him so I guess he must have gone off to amuse himself. I will go and ask someone to fetch him immediately.' Standing, she led the twins back indoors while Glorfindel turned and took the reins of the horses so that he could go and deal with them, leaving Elrond alone with Thranduil.

`Would you like to come inside and up to my office?' he asked Thranduil. `I'm sure you are weary and I would like to discuss your journey here and other things of importance since we last met.' Thranduil bristled at Elrond's manner but agreed to accompany him.

* * *

Elrond had just passed Thranduil a glass of wine once he had finished recounting his journey of their trip over and Glorfindel's miraculous appearance when all hope was surely lost after they had fallen into the cavern. Quite suddenly, Erestor burst into the room.

Half an hour had barely passed between the two and Elrond and Thranduil were just beginning to feel comfortable with one another yet one look at Erestor's face said everything and Elrond felt his stomach turn to ice with dread.

His worst fears were confirmed when Erestor managed to gasp out, `He's gone…Legolas has vanished!'