Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Soulmates ❯ Reasons ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 

"I always liked the night better than the day. Father was adamant that I not do as I wanted and stay up late every night." There was a pause. "Do you think he knows?"

"About me? No. You? Yes. That is why he puts so much strain on you to conform to Sun Elf ways."

"How does he know, though?"

"Elros was a Moon Elf. He and I were good friends. Your father wasn't happy that he'd go skipping off to Fangorn every chance he got. Finally, Elros promised him that he would go once more then stay with his brother for a while. He never came back."

"Why not?"

"Orcs. They decimated every Moon Elf they could find. Every one of them. Except me and the prince."

"What?"

"Fangorn promised me that the prince was safe and sound, though he wouldn't tell me where he was. Legolas was that prince."

"Was?"

"He is now rightful king of Fangorn."

"Legolas?" Elladan laughed.

"Yes. I haven't seen him since we left him behind."

"But Legolas is so…so, well, Legolas! Son of Thranduil, the greedy Elf king!"

"But Legolas is nothing like his father. Or his brothers. Did you ever notice that?"

"Well, yes, but it's not like he wasn't…content…So he really is a Moon Elf," Elladan finished weakly.

"Apparently. I should have known."

They sat there in silence for a few minutes.

"Erestor?"

"Yes, my boy?"

"Why did Uncle Elros go off to Fangorn that last time?"

Erestor sighed. "To see the birth of our prince."

Elladan was horrified. "But if ada finds out that Legolas is that prince, he'll…" he trailed off, looking away.

"Yes. He will."