Louie The Rune Soldier Fan Fiction ❯ Valiant Champion Or Something Like It ❯ Chapter 2

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Valiant Champion or Something Like It
 
By: AZ Mark II
 
Disclaimer: ADV Films and/or J.C. Staff own this one, not me.
 
-
 
“This will cut weeks off our travel time back to Ohfun,” Louie said, tracing his finger along the rough map that the group used to help navigate the earth. The three women turned identical - and far too familiar - looks on him.
 
“You want to walk through the Black Tree Reach then climb the Razor Peaks, and after that, somehow cross the Crooked Loch?” asked Melissa, sounding suspiciously skeptical.
 
“Sure,” shrugged Louie, “why not?” he asked them, his face innocent of deceit. Genie shook her head while Merrill groaned.
 
“First off, stupid,” began Merrill, “the Black Tree Reach is virtually impenetrable! There isn't a single road that goes through it - only around it!” she snapped. “It is said to be home to strange and dangerous beasts, as well as being thickly covered in trees, making it impossible to move through easily!”
 
“But, if we go around it, it would take nearly two weeks extra time without gaining us any ground,” Louie pointed out. “Besides, if we go through it, who knows what we might find!” he urged.
 
“Setting aside the woods,” Genie said, taking her turn, “have you ever climbed the Razor Peaks, Louie?” she asked. “Or for that matter, any real mountains?” she pressed.
 
“No, but how hard could it be?” he asked, full of optimistic certainty.
 
“Those peaks are high, Louie,” Genie went on. “The lowest pass is taller than the mountains we crossed over to get into this kingdom, and you remember how hard that was, don't you?” pressed the swordswoman. Louie scratched his chin.
 
“Yeah, but we made it over, right? And besides, if we re-traced our route, it would be an additional month and a half!” he protested. “And it is getting near the time that snow starts to fall,” he added. Genie grimaced.
 
“Louie,” began Melissa, “even if we get through the Black Tree Reach, climb the Razor Peaks, and get to the shores of the Crooked Loch, how do you propose to cross it?” asked the priestess. “It isn't like there are a lot of villages along the shore; and besides, the loch has a reputation for frequent, sudden, violent flooding and freak squalls.”
 
“Come on, Melissa!” countered Louie, “We can do this! No problem!” he urged. “Besides, what could be more of an adventure than doing something that hasn't been done before?” he asked the three girls. All three gave him flat stares. “Hey, we've done tougher things than this, right?” he pressed on.
 
“Louie,” sighed Merrill irritably.
 
“Not like we couldn't have seen this coming,” sighed Genie.
 
“He has such a long way to go,” sighed Melissa. Louie looked back and forth between the three.
 
“So?” he asked. All three slowly, unwillingly nodded.
 
“We'll try it your way,” said Melissa, speaking for the group. Besides, it will work better for us if we aren't on heavily-traveled paths, she thought to herself. And if we can follow his suggested route at a reasonable pace, it will cut several weeks off the time to Ohfun, she admitted to herself.
 
“Now that that is decided,” exclaimed Louie happily, “let's get going!” he called out, hefting the huge bundle of supplies and settling it over his shoulders. Melissa glanced at the other two girls, who nodded that all was ready, and, following their champion, the party set off, moving straight for the Black Tree Reach and potential disaster.
 
-
 
“Excuse me, but are you Ila Auriza?”
 
Blinking, the young woman turned to look at the source of the voice. She saw a man in a worn cloak standing a step or two away from her in the crowded marketplace. Absently adjusting her glasses, she gave him a once-over before answering. He wore a linen shirt of quality cut and material, a pair of leather pants with knee-high riding boots, and had a short-sword belted at his left hip. Her sharp eyes caught the bulge of a ring on his signet finger under the fine leather fencing gloves he wore, and the wide-brimmed hat he wore didn't conceal his neatly-trimmed hair and clean-shaven face. “Yes, I'm Ila Auriza,” she said. Minor noble, maybe? Perhaps a senior guardsman or captain from a baron's house? she thought to herself.
 
“I thought you might be, my lady,” he said, offering her a shallow bow. Ila saw that though the bow was cursory, it was done with court precision and fluidity. “If I may, I would ask a moment of your time, my lady,” he added, straightening. Ila frowned.
 
“What business could you have with me?” she wondered out loud. The man glanced around.
 
“It is a matter of some delicacy, my lady,” he said quietly. “If I might suggest that we not discuss it on the street in the middle of a crowd?” he hinted. Ila considered the suggestion.
 
“I suppose so,” she agreed at last. There wasn't much to see here today, anyway, she dismissed the shopping trip. Tossing her head, she indicated a near-by tavern. It wasn't until she was seated and taking her first sip of the fruity-tasting ale that she realized that it was the tavern where Louie's group frequented when they were in Ohfun. “What business could you have with a mere student at the Magicians' Guild?” she asked him again.
 
“My lady,” the man said quietly, leaning closer to Ila, who instinctively leaned back, “I have been told on great authority that you are the one to consult when a rare, antique magical item has been found,” he murmured. Ila's attention was captured.
 
“I do trade in such items as my main leisure activity,” she admitted casually. “What have you found?” she asked him. He glanced around once more, as if to make sure that no one was listening to the pair.
 
“Recently, I and some diverse companions came across a ruin far to the south, and in the ruin was a strange magical device. It is centuries - perhaps ages - old. I have spoken with several magicians, but most cannot tell me more than to seek another magician. Your name has been mentioned by several.” he revealed.
 
“So, you are an adventurer, then?” asked Ila before taking a long pull from her tankard.
 
“As I have the opportunity,” shrugged the man. Ila hummed.
 
“I see,” she said. “Do you have this magical device with you?” she asked him. He shook his head.
 
“It is somewhat too large to carry around,” smiled the man deprecatingly. “I would think it easier if you were to come to where we have it secured,” he explained. Ila considered that, a small frown on her face.
 
“I don't know,” she said slowly, “I have some finals coming up at the Guild, and there are some things that I must attend to,” she explained. Not to mention the feeling that I have had for the last month that Louie is coming back - finally! she thought, a tingle going through her body at the memory of the dreams she had had when she used the premonition spell she found in the old tomb from the golden age of high sorcery. It's been almost a year, she recalled, but I just know that Louie is finally coming back to me!
 
“I and my companions are prepared to make it worth your time, my lady,” he said, casually tossing a leather purse on the table. From the loosened drawstring opening tumbled some gold coins and a few gems, both cut and uncut. Ila was somewhat surprised, though her reaction was tempered by her upbringing in the wealthiest family in Ohfun, thanks to her father's trading business.
 
“Studying such devices can take time,” she said, not touching the pouch. “And I can ill afford the time before finals.”
 
“I am prepared to accept a reasonable delay in your arrival, my lady,” the man agreed urbanely. “Say, perhaps a month?” he suggested. Ila considered that. Finals were in three weeks, and she could always leave a small charm in Louie's room to tell her if he came back. And maybe, this is important, she thought.
 
“How far is the item?” she asked him. He pursed his lips for a moment.
 
“Please understand, my lady, that I am hesitant to give precise details, due to the possibility that some unscrupulous people might try to attack us for the item,” he hedged.
 
“General answers will suffice for now,” Ila assured him. “A day? A week? Would I need a train of supply wagons?” she hinted. If it is too far out there, I will just pass, she decided.
 
“It is more than a few days from here, but less than a week and a half,” he said. Ila took another pull from her tankard as she considered that answer. Out near the borders of the kingdom, then, she translated the answer. If one rode hard, they could pass beyond the borders of Ohfun in five days; if they went toward the closest border. But even the most distant border, up near the kingdom of Ramlierth, could be reached in ten days of hard riding on a good horse. “It was agreed among my companions and I that we would provide a carriage for you, so that you would not unduly exert yourself. After all,” he grinned at her, “we need you in good shape to unravel the mystery of the artifact.”
 
Ila hummed. “On the topic of the artifact,” she subtly shifted the conversation, “have you given any thought to what you will do with it?” she asked him. He blinked.
 
“My lady?”
 
“Obviously, neither you nor your companions are mages,” pointed out the woman. “So, you will likely not be able to operate the device - assuming it is in operational condition after all this time! - and so, you really only have one choice: find a buyer for it,” explained the woman. The man nodded.
 
“Such has been our general consensus,” he agreed amicably. “Perhaps you or the Guild would be interested in purchasing our find?” he proposed, grinning at her. Ila glanced away.
 
“Maybe,” she avoided a direct answer. “I won't have any way to answer that until I see the item and study it,” she added. “It might be hopelessly broken or impossible to decipher, you know,” she reminded him. He spread his hands.
 
“In that case, at least we would know more than we do now,” he returned. He signaled for another round, handing the serving girl a gold coin. She nodded; the drinks and food would keep coming until the gold ran out. “If I may be so forward, my lady,” he said as the new round arrived, “you seemed interested in my hobby of adventuring. Why is that?” he wondered.
 
“No particular reason,” shrugged Ila, “I just have some friends that do that for a living, and it has been a while since they were last here. Perhaps you have heard of them; or maybe seen them?” she asked him. What could it hurt? she philosophized.
 
“Perhaps, my lady,” he replied, “tell me, what are their names, and what do they look like?”
 
-
 
“Isabelle,” said High Priestess Jenny, “before you head out tomorrow morning, I think it is important that you know some things,” said the head of the Mylee order.
 
“Of course, High Priestess,” the blonde priestess bowed her head. The two of them were in the central alter room of their order, the statue of Mylee before them. “What is it that I must know?” she asked.
 
“Isabelle,” said Jenny, turning to look at the young woman, “I am tasking you with the recovery of Melissa and her Valiant Champion. This other matter is of less importance than the safe return of Melissa and her Champion. Do you understand?” said the head of the order. Isabelle frowned.
 
“I understand the orders, High Priestess, but not the reason for them,” she admitted. Jenny turned to study the statue.
 
“Nor do I; at least, not completely,” sighed the older woman. “But Mylee spoke to me in my dreams last night. Something is about to befall this land, and the presence of our only ordained Priestess and her Valiant Champion is imperative.” Hearing Isabelle gasp, Jenny favored the blonde with a cool, thin smile. “Did you think that I was deceived by your claim that Mylee had told you who your champion was?” she asked the stunned blonde.
 
“B…but…I…you…earlier….two of us!” stammered the priestess, completely taken off guard. “Melissa told you!” she breathed, shocked and angered. During the crisis with the usurping Lord Dardanel, she had confided to Melissa that she had lied about her revelation. Until then, she had been sure that Melissa had kept her confidence. Her thoughts were shattered by a hand on her shoulder and a hard shake.
 
“Melissa didn't have to tell me, Isabelle!” hissed Jenny. “It was apparent to me the instant that you emerged from the chamber that you had not been given a Champion,” she said sternly. “In truth, I am somewhat put out with Melissa that she didn't inform me that you had lied; though it is of no matter, as the truth was plainly evident in your eyes,” exhaled the older woman. “You and Melissa are supposed to be examples to the younger novices and acolytes, but you have so far not set that good of an example,” lectured the head of the order.
 
“But, did you not tell the king that there were two ordained priestesses in the temple?” challenged Isabelle. Jenny nodded.
 
“I did,” she said evenly. “There was little else to do to save the honor of the temple,” she shot back. Isabella blushed.
 
“I…I am sorry, High Priestess,” she murmured, ashamed. Jenny silently shook her head.
 
“It is too late for sorry, Isabelle,” she said evenly. “All of us are stuck with it now, though you have put yourself in a harder position than our order has been thrown into,” she pointed out. “Still, Melissa and Lulu,” she paused, smiling fondly at some thought, “sorry, Louie, are genuine Follower and Champion, so it will eventually balance out,” she dismissed the topic.
 
“As for the other matter,” she changed direction, “you will be taking a half-dozen of our best acolytes with you. It is your choice, though I suggest that you take Melissa's three - Anna, Joan and Gannet - with you; they might prove to be key to finding our wayward ordained priestess and her unpredictable champion,” Jenny was once more smiling to herself.
 
“Yes, High Priestess,” Isabelle docilely accepted her directions. “Anything else?” she asked.
 
“Yes, as a matter of fact,” agreed Jenny. “With the acolytes along, you will have certain complications to your party's normal operation.”
 
“How so?” wondered Isabelle. Jenny pinned her to the polished, waxed pew with her gaze.
 
“You will have to act the part of an ordained Follower without fail, Isabelle,” said the chestnut-haired woman to the elegant blonde. Isabelle frowned.
 
“I have always done that, have I not?” wondered the confused blonde. Jenny shook her head.
 
“As a matter of fact, you have not, Isabelle,” warned the High Priestess. “Before, there was no need to tell you what I have told Melissa of the duties of a Follower, but now, there is no other choice. Your lie will complicate things immensely, but there is no help for it.” Isabelle gulped nervously. High Priestess Jenny sounded ominous when she talked like that.
 
“W…what must I do?” asked the blonde. Jenny maintained eye contact with her priestess.
 
“You must support Prince Littler in all ways, Isabelle - including, should the occasion arise, sleeping with him.” Seeing the eyes of the blonde priestess grow bright, Jenny crushed the growing joy in the girl's heart. “Knowing, of course, that you will not be able to wed him and that even once he is wed to another, you will still have to support him as if Mylee had spoken to you,” the High Priestess said mercilessly. Isabelle blinked.
 
“I thought that priestesses could marry royalty, High Priestess Jenny,” said the girl slowly. Jenny nodded.
 
“There is no rule against it, Isabelle,” confirmed the head of the order, “but with only one prince, you should have realized that such a thing as becoming Princess Isabelle is impossible. I am sorry to say it, Isabelle,” said Jenny quietly, “but you have set yourself up for a hard life with your lie.”
 
“It is my own doing,” said Isabelle quietly. A thought occurred to her. “High Priestess Jenny, what if Mylee gives me a Valiant Champion later?” she asked. Jenny gave the girl a pitying look.
 
“Isabelle,” she said slowly, “the ritual of revelation can only be performed once.”
 
“Just once?!” gasped Isabelle. Jenny nodded.
 
“And even if it were performed again, Mylee would not speak to you. You have forsworn you oaths with that lie, Isabelle,” Jenny said softly. The troubled look on Isabelle's face told her that she had gotten through to the other woman. “Mylee's will, Isabelle,” she whispered, patting the blonde's head.
 
“T…thank you, High Priestess,” managed the blonde. Jenny patted her head soothingly.
 
“At least you can take solace in the knowledge that you will be our prince's first,” offered Jenny, a smile tugging at her lips. Isabelle sighed.
 
“I should take what I can get, is that what you mean to say, High Priestess?” asked the blonde. A moment later, her eyes widened. “Mylee!” gasped the blonde, “High Priestess! If I have forsworn my oaths, then the protection of my vows might not hold true!” she blurted out. Jenny nodded.
 
“It is possible,” agreed Jenny. “There is no way to know how far Mylee might go to punish you for breaking your vows,” she cautioned the girl. Isabelle frowned, digesting the information.
 
“What,” she paused, scowling for a moment before beginning again, “I mean, if the protection is broken, what becomes of me?” she wondered. Jenny instinctively knew which part of the protection offered by their god the blonde was worried about.
 
“You are still a member of this order, Isabelle,” she reminded the blonde. “Should that come to pass, you can know that you will always have a place here at the temple,” she assured her. Seeing that Isabelle was not overly enthused about the prospects, Jenny moved to lift the blonde's spirits. “Mylee does not give his followers tests that they cannot endure, Isabelle,” she reminded the young woman, “and I will tell you a secret about Melissa that might make you feel better,” she enticed. Isabelle turned to look at Jenny fully.
 
“You will?” she wondered. Jenny nodded.
 
“Melissa was given her Valiant Champion, and I have told her what she could handle of the responsibilities as time passed. One of the things that she has not yet been prepared to learn is that certain of the vows she took are no longer in effect, since she is a Follower. She and you share certain…risks,” Jenny smiled gently at the blonde. For a moment, Isabelle puzzled through the hint before grasping the solution. Her face lit up.
 
“I can imagine that Melissa will be in for a shock,” giggled Isabelle, smiling wickedly. “Perhaps that is what has hampered their return?” she suggested gleefully. Jenny hummed.
 
“Perhaps, Isabelle, but do remember that Melissa enjoys the advantage of having been Ordained,” she reminded the girl dryly.
 
-
 
“Excellent, Lily,” praised Master Carwes as the diminutive mage cast the communication spell. She had been practicing with a focused dedication that the headmaster of the Magicians' Guild wished his adopted son would show, and in a matter of weeks, she had mastered all the spells that Carwes had deemed necessary for the prince's party to depart. The granddaughter of Count Corwell smiled at the headmaster.
 
“Thank you, Headmaster,” she said softly. Her participation in the attempted coup had caused her a lot of grief, and she still got hostile looks from many people who knew what had happened. Though Melissa forgave me, and spoke for me before the prince and others, I still have to prove myself to the ones I betrayed, she thought. “Is there anything else I need to learn before we begin our next adventure?” she asked the man. The headmaster stroked his beard as he thought about it.
 
“No, Lily,” he said at last, “I don't think so,” he concluded. Lily nodded.
 
“I see,” she said quietly. Looking at her staff, which now bore some addition runes, she decided to scratch an itch that had been tickling her since her first real encounter with Louie. “Headmaster,” she said slowly, “what can you tell me about Louie?” she asked him. Carwes blinked.
 
“Louie? What about him?” wondered the man, frowning.
 
“Who is he really, Headmaster?” she asked. “I was told that you adopted him as a child, along with the High Priestess of Mylee. He is a magician by training, but I have seen precious little magical use from him. I have seen him in action, sir, and his strength and stamina is super-human at the least; perhaps even super-magical. Please, Headmaster, who is Louie?” she asked.
 
“Louie is my son,” shrugged Carwes. “I don't know much more about his origins than you do, Lily,” he admitted. “When I first saw him, he was no more than six or so, and instantly, both Jenny and I decided that we should take him in. Neither of us knew why, but we had to. As he grew up, both of us have tried to determine why we were so drawn to him, but the only answer that seems likely is that it is the hand of fate or the god Mylee on him.”
 
“So, you and the High Priestess found him together?” pressed Lily. “Do you often spend time with the head of the Mylee order?” she wondered. Headmaster Carwes frowned.
 
“Jenny and I are the king's oldest, most trusted companions, Lily,” he said, “and in the early days of the kingdom, it was more common for the three of us to be together than apart, given our duties.” Lily dissected that information.
 
“I see,” she murmured. “Do you or the High Priestess have any feelings about his joining that band of adventuring girls?” she wondered. Carwes grunted sourly.
 
“Louie does as Louie will, Lily,” he said, sounding both peeved and amused. “I am, I fear, the last to know any of his choices or thoughts,” he chuckled.
 
“Who is the first, do you suppose?” wondered Lily. Carwes snorted.
 
“Ila, of course,” he said immediately. “Any time I need to know where he is, what he is doing, or anything else, all I have to do is ask her!” he chuckled. “She is the best watcher for that boy,” he mumbled to himself.
 
“She is one of your best students, isn't she?” asked Lily. Carwes nodded.
 
“As a practical mage, her skills are only average, but as an artifact maker or magical machinery mage, she is top rank,” agreed Carwes. “Her hobby of trading in magical gadgets and charms is a fortunate boon for the Guild,” he noted. Lily hummed. “It would be nice if Louie shared her diligence in learning his craft, but,” he shrugged.
 
“Are you certain that Louie has the ability to utilize magic?” wondered Lily. It was a question that had bothered her for while. Carwes nodded.
 
“I have seen him utilize magic several times, though never on a grand scale,” he assured the diminutive girl, “and Ila has told me that he often uses minor spells without thought or notice when he is on his adventures, so I am quite certain that he is adept in the ability to use magic; it is just that he seems to prefer his fists more often than not,” he pronounced. “Did you hear that he broke his first wand over an imp's head, rather than cast a spell with it?” he asked the mage. Lily blinked.
 
“He did that?” wondered the girl. What kind of idiot uses a wand like a club?!
 
“Oh, he certainly did!” laughed Carwes. “He came to me and asked for a new one, but as you know, a lot of work goes into making a wand or staff. I told him that I would make him one if he would get the wood. He went into the haunted forest and came back with the oak branch, much to my chagrin!” the headmaster chortled. “That Louie; you can never tell what he might do next!”
 
“So it would seem,” agreed Lily. Carwes sobered a little.
 
“Though, now that I reflect back on it, Jenny didn't seem overly surprised when he broke into the temple during one of their ceremonies,” he recalled. Lily raised her eyebrows slightly. He broke into the temple of Mylee during a sacred ceremony, and the priestesses didn't hang him? The hand of their god must rest on him, she thought.
 
“Does Louie spend much time in the temple?” asked Lily. Louie truly perplexed her, and she had a golden chance to learn more about him. Carwes shrugged.
 
“Not that I know of,” he said. “He is often out and about, and he seems to see Jenny fairly often, but I doubt that the novice and acolyte priestesses would allow him in the temple proper, seeing as how he is a man,” shrugged the master of the Magicians' Guild.
 
“Perhaps Louie has had instruction in the Mylee order?” suggested Lily. Carwes shook his head.
 
“Oh, no chance of that, Lily,” he said. “The order is a strictly women-only order, you know, and even Jenny can't break certain rules,” he assured her. “It was only luck that Ila was with him when the two of them accidentally vandalized the statue of Mylee in the inner chapel when they were younger, since if he had been there alone, he would have been executed by the laws of the order,” he related. Lily's eyes grew bigger.
 
“You are telling me that Louie and Ila desecrated the idol of Mylee in the Order's own chapel, but nothing was done to them?” she asked, convinced that she had misheard the master magician.
 
“Desecrate? Oh, nothing so bad, my dear Lily,” smiled Carwes. “The two of them were playing some childish game, and in the course of it, they used chalk sticks to make marks on the idol. If you want to hear the story, go ask Ila; though I wouldn't be surprised if she is reluctant to tell that tale!” he chuckled. Lily nodded.
 
“I think I will do just that, Master Carwes,” she said. “If there is nothing else, I will seek out Ila,” she said, making sure that Carwes had dismissed her. He waved a hand at her.
 
“Go,” he said, pulling a scroll from his desk, “just don't stay up too late; you have a long day tomorrow,” he reminded her. Lily nodded.
 
“Yes, sir,” she said. “Good night, Headmaster Carwes,” she said, exiting his study and closing the door behind her. Moving swiftly through the halls of the Guild, she made her way toward the rooms that Ila occupied. Some of the students she passed scowled at her, but she ignored them. Her age, attitude, skills and involvement in the plot to overthrow King Rijarl had consequences, after all, but she was prepared for them.
 
Reaching the first of Ila's rooms, she reflected on the advantages of being the sole heir to the vast and ever-growing fortunes of the Auriza Trading empire. Ila had her main room, which was where she spent some of her time, three storage rooms for her inventory of magical devices, gadgets, charms and whatnot, and of late, she had taken over Louie's room; though rumor had it that the single most likely place to find the girl was Louie's room.
 
Knocking on the door to Ila's bedroom, she waited, but didn't hear anything. Checking the door, she found it unlocked, and looked inside the room. The bed was neatly made and showed no signs of being slept in for several days. Glancing at the desk, she saw that it had a fine layer of dust on it as well. Closing the door, Lily moved quickly down the hall to the rooms where Ila maintained her inventory.
 
All three rooms were locked and dark. With the amount of valuable goods in there, as well as the potential danger of some of them, Ila had fashioned custom magical ward locks on the doors to keep other magicians with sticky fingers out of her stash. Not that anyone would try to steal from her, given the well-known bond between her and Louie, and in turn, Louie and the Headmaster of the Guild. Besides, why risk getting beat to death by Louie, expelled by the headmaster, or maimed by Ila's wards when one could just buy the item they wanted from the girl; while not as cheap as stealing, it was a lot safer that way.
 
Nodding to herself, Lily moved off toward the next stop: Louie's room. As she crossed the wide dividing line of the Guild's headquarters, she reflected that she had been so busy learning the new spells that she had never been anywhere but her temporary chamber, the library, Headmaster Carwes's study, the dining hall and bathroom. Of course, she had learned the layout of the Guild hall quickly, but her attention had been consumed by the task at hand.
 
Generally, the students were housed in two sections: the men's side, and the women's side. While Carwes had no interest in policing the activities of the student body, he also didn't want disruptions on his campus, so there were unspoken rules about behavior that were generally self-policed by the students. Lily was breaking one of those right now, as she crossed over the dividing line and marched into the men's dormitory side well past nightfall. Lily could care less what the few men she passed thought of her or her presence. Reaching the door, she raised her hand to knock, but paused.
 
After a moment, she lowered her hand and tried the door. It was locked with a simple ward. Softly, Lily chanted a counter-spell that she had learned before coming to the Guild, and the ward released harmlessly. Opening the door, Lily looked inside the cluttered room. In the flickering light of a guttering candle stub, she spotted a form in the bed. Stepping into the room, she closed the door behind her. If this isn't Ila, then I guess I should find out who is taking over Louie's room, she selected her excuse.
 
Glancing around, she saw books, half-finished projects, a small mountain of homework scrolls, and odd mementos from his adventures here and there. Moving closer to the bed, Lily spotted a pair of soft boots by the bed. From the size and make, she knew that they were not Louie's boots, being instead hand-fitted boots for a woman. Looking at the head on the pillow, she spotted the bright red hair of Ila. Nodding to herself, Lily took a final look at Ila before turning to head back to her room. She noticed the skirt and body suit that Ila favored, folded on the foot of the bed, as well as the glasses the girl usually wore on the bedside table. So, that is what is going on, then, thought the smaller, younger mage as she silently let herself back out.
 
Hurrying back to her room, she got herself into bed and was asleep in short order. She would need some rest before they started out on the adventure tomorrow, after all. And it was likely to be a long one.
 
-
 
“How is your arm, Genie?” asked Melissa as she finished casting a healing spell on the taller woman. The bright-haired swordswoman flexed her arm a few times.
 
“Seems to be fine, Melissa,” she said a moment later, “thanks for healing it,” added the barbarian. Melissa sighed.
 
“No problem, Genie,” dismissed the priestess. Turning to look at Merrill, she saw the thief grimacing as she wrapped her left elbow in a strip of cloth. “Merrill?”
 
“Nothing more than a sprain, Melissa,” assured the smallest of the party. “You might want to check with our idiot champion, though,” she added sourly. Melissa looked over to the currently-shirtless Louie, who - aside from some scratches and shallow cuts - seemed to be in fine condition; seeing as how he was still pounding the last of the strange beasts that had attacked the party without warning.
 
“Louie punch!” screamed the long-haired lout, his fist connecting with what passed for a head of the creature, finally taking the thing off its feet for the last time. “And stay down this time!” he panted. After a moment spent catching his breath, he turned to look at his companions. “You girls ok?” he asked, glancing at the three other creatures that were sprawled out on the ground between the thick, crowded trees of the Black Tree Reach. With the profusion of hanging moss, the forest was perpetually dark and shadowy, with limited sight distance. It was that very trait that had allowed the creatures to ambush the party.
 
“Nothing serious hurt,” said Melissa, who moved toward Louie to check on his wounds. “Have you any sort of notion of what these things are?” she wondered. Her order's signature weapon - the pole hammer - had been broken in the initial assault when her strike to one of the creature's head had proven to be insufficient to dispatch it. The creature had grabbed the shaft, breaking it before Melissa had brought the broken haft back around and stabbed the broken end into the thing's eyes.
 
“Not really,” shrugged Louie as Melissa began to use her limited healing ability to close some of the messier shallow cuts on his chest and back. Louie's sword was bent from getting hung up in the ribs of the creature that had gone after Merrill, but Louie had reverted to his basic weapon: his fists. For someone who had cold-cocked a wild boar, it wasn't that big of a disadvantage. “But I don't think that these are natural creatures,” he frowned.
 
“No shit!” Merrill sarcastically replied. The small thief had used every bit of her agility and speed to stay out of the range of the creatures' attack, and her throwing knives had proven to be of some use in ending the fight, though she had had to hit some very difficult targets to get any penetration. During the chaotic fighting, she had taken a glancing forearm blow, and her left elbow was sprained when she pin-balled off a moss-drenched tree.
 
“I'm more concerned with the possibility that there might be more of these things around,” said Genie, sighing as she looked at her broken sword. “Now I have to find another big sword,” she grunted sourly. At least this time, I have plenty of money, she thought to herself. Touching her back-up blade, she made sure that it was ready; just in case. Glancing at Melissa, she noticed that the fighting had taken a toll on the party's priestess. “Uh, Melissa,” she said.
 
“Yes, Genie?” responded Melissa, her attention on Louie.
 
“You're missing most of the back of your skirt,” said the red-haired woman. Looking at the creature she had rushed, she saw a torn length of white cloth tangled in the claws of the beast. That beast had come at Melissa from the back while she struggled with another. Genie had instinctively jumped into the fray, blindsiding the beast before it could cripple her friend, though apparently that one swipe had been closer than she had thought. The broken length of blade protruding from the chest of that creature told her that it wasn't getting back up again.
 
“Hmm?” hummed Melissa, distractedly. Genie shook her head.
 
“Doesn't matter, I guess,” she dismissed it. Considering what we talked about, she thought fleetingly. Louie was looking at the creatures, a thoughtful look on his face. It was such a rarity that it took Genie a moment to recognize it for what it was.
 
“I think these might be a form of magically-adapted chimera,” he said, nodding to himself. “I think I recall old man Foltess saying something about it one of my classes,” he continued. “And Ila said that the dwarven magicians of the Old Kingdom used a kind of bonding magic to piece together creatures to guard their mines,” he recalled, suddenly all smiles. “Hey! Maybe there are some ruins or mines or lost cities around here!” he suggested eagerly. Genie, Merrill and Melissa stared at him.
 
“Even if there is,” began Merrill, “if they are guarded by more of these things, no thanks!” she yelled hotly.
 
“Louie, we don't have the gear or the people for an extended fight against these things,” Genie said. “In fact, I think we should consider getting out of this forest while we can,” she suggested.
 
“She has a valid point, Louie,” Melissa agreed. “This was just a skirmish, and look at the damage,” she pressed, her hand absently resting on his chest.
 
“I don't think that there will be many more of these things,” disagreed Louie. “If I recall correctly, Ila said that the practice fell out of use because of the time and resources that it took to make the creatures,” he lectured. Moving away from Melissa, he stepped over to the creature that he had put down. Extending his hand, he muttered under his breath, a soft glow surrounding his hand for a moment. “Thought so,” he said a moment later.
 
“What is it, Louie?” asked Melissa.
 
“This thing is old, Melissa,” said Louie. “In fact, it is so old that the spell I used can't give me a fixed date of creation for this thing!” he said, amazed. “That means that it has to date back to the Old Kingdom,” he explained, seeing the looks on Merrill's and Genie's faces.
 
“Like that device in the basement of the castle or the weather machine that Ila's old mentor had?” wondered Merrill. Louie shook his head.
 
“Older,” he said. Melissa frowned.
 
“Do these things live that long?” she asked. Louie shrugged.
 
“Apparently, they do,” he answered her carelessly. Seeing her annoyed glance, he raised his palms. “I'll ask Ila when I get back to Ohfun,” he promised her. Melissa sighed. “Although,” mused Louie, “if you had a chamber with a stasis spell on it, it wouldn't matter what the normal lifespan of the creature is. In fact, when used with a basic sentry spell, it would provide a guard system without need of upkeep or monitoring,” he extrapolated. “Man, that's pretty clever!” he grinned.
 
“Imagine how surprised we are that you came up with the idea,” mutter Merrill sourly.
 
“Setting that aside, it sounds to me like we need to be getting out of here,” interjected Genie. “If there is a ruin full of these things, waiting to be disturbed, we have to avoid stirring it up,” she said.
 
“I don't think there are that many of these things,” frowned Melissa. “After all, the Black Tree Reach has been explored on and off for centuries, and most of the parties came back. It got its legend from long before that, and as the trees grew, it became what it is today. Maybe these are the last of the guardians?” she suggested. Genie considered it.
 
“What if they aren't?” she asked at last. “It wouldn't take too many more of them to kill us all,” she pointed out.
 
“Maybe Louie can recall a spell that would warn us?” suggested Melissa, looking to the group's magician. He scowled.
 
“It's not that easy, Melissa,” he said. “Warding spells are very specific, and I don't know enough about these things to…” his eyes widened. “Wait a minute! I think…!” he spun on his heel and dashed to the pile of supplies he carried. It had born the brunt of the attack, and many of their supplies were damaged or destroyed as a result. Carelessly sifting through what remained, he finally held up a small, oddly-made item. “Man, is Ila gonna be happy when I tell her that her little gizmo came in handy after all!” he chuckled.
 
“What is that thing?” wondered Genie, looking at the obviously hand-made item.
 
“Remember back when I had to get some old oak for my replacement wand?” he asked. The girl's scowls told him that they did; all too well, in fact. “Well, anyway, there was some left over, and I gave it to Ila. She made some different things with it, and a little before the incident at the castle, she gave me this thing. It is supposed to be a kind of magical pointer. I had told her about the creatures in the hidden lab under that Count's house, and she made this to help me out.” He paused, and then continued. “Of course, I had pretty much forgotten about it, since I was kind of busy with other things,” he admitted.
 
“Well, what does it do, exactly?” wondered Melissa.
 
“And what good will it do us in this situation?” added Merrill.
 
“If a spell is activated within a moderate distance, this little thing will point to the direction of the spell's activation,” he said. “Or, that's what Ila said it would do; she is something else when it comes to magical artifacts,” he smiled. The three women let that slide without remark. “I think I can use a basic variant on a door spell we use at the Guild to make it so that if some of these things get close, we will know where they are coming from and be ready for them,” he said.
 
“How close is `close'?” asked Genie. Louie frowned.
 
“It's hard to say, Genie,” he replied, “but I think maybe a hundred yards or so? It depends on the charm's range more than the door spell,” he explained.
 
“About ten seconds, then,” the woman mused aloud. Her eyes met Melissa's lavender eyes, then Merrill's light brown eyes. Slowly, both women nodded slightly. “Ok, Louie, we'll give it a try,” said the swordswoman.
 
It took only a few minutes to get the basic spell-work out of the way, but it was a good half hour before the party was ready to set off, and when they did, they were short a significant amount of gear. The tent - doubling as the huge pack Louie routinely carried - had been pretty much destroyed, and after surveying the wrecked canvas, the party had concluded that it wasn't salvageable. Also among the items discarded on the site of the ambush were two of the three spare dresses Melissa packed, Genie's cold-weather jacket, Merrill's cloak and spare boots, Louie's coat and foul-weather hooded over-cloak, a pair of damaged canteens, most of their trail rations, their entire first aid kit, and assorted odds and ends.
 
Merrill had stubbornly collected each and every coin, gem and valuable that the party had accumulated, insisting that it was more important than anything else. Knowing of her greed, the others had silently let her do her thing. It didn't take long for the thief to fashion a new set of travel bags from a couple of towels, a bit of the tent canvas that was intact, and some leather strapping that Genie carried in case she needed to change her sword rigging. Melissa, meanwhile, detached the head of her war hammer and tucked into the pack, saying that once they found a suitable tree, they could make a new shaft for it. In the meantime, she pulled out her backup weapon, a short-hafted, wide-bladed spear. She also changed out of her damaged dress and into her last intact one, examining the torn and shredded garment before dropping it to the ground.
 
“Now we really do need to get back to Ohfun,” she muttered. Hearing that, Genie glanced at her.
 
“Do you have to buy those dresses?” she asked. It had never really occurred to her to ask before.
 
“Fortunately, the order provides them to their priestesses,” explained the dark blonde. “As a matter of fact, these are only made by the Order, since the material is blessed before and after the dress is made.”
 
“Huh,” grunted Genie. “What you don't learn…” she dismissed the topic. Seeing Louie put on a spare shirt, she lowered her voice slightly. “On the other hand, it is a step in the right direction,” she murmured to Melissa. The priestess blushed.
 
“Uh, yes, I suppose,” she managed, not meeting Genie's gaze.
 
“So, are we ready?” came Louie's voice, causing Melissa to flinch slightly.
 
“Yes!” she exclaimed hurried, “ready to go, Louie!” she said, causing him to frown in puzzlement.
 
“Well, if you're sure,” he said dubiously. Holding the group's wood axe in hand, he led them off in a different direction from the one they had been following. For a moment, Melissa wondered what he was doing, but then, she spotted the fairly obvious trail that the creatures had left.
 
“Louie, are you sure it is a good idea to be following these things back to their lair?” wondered Genie, hand on sword hilt.
 
“Well, no, not really,” he candidly admitted, “but if our theory is right, it shouldn't be a problem. Besides,” he smiled, “it wouldn't be much fun to wander around for days in here, looking for ruins, now would it?” he asked.
 
“I suppose you have a point,” Genie agreed mildly. If there are ruins in here, then the creatures would logically have been guarding them, so following their trail is a logical way to find the ruins. Funny, I didn't think he was that smart, she thought, smiling a little.
 
“So, what are we supposed to find in these ruins, anyway?” asked Merrill, from just behind Melissa, who was close behind Louie. Genie was rear-guard this time.
 
“Like always, Merrill,” said the priestess, “maybe treasure, maybe forgotten devices of the Old World, maybe nothing,” she said.
 
“If we do find treasure, what do you suppose it will be, and how much do you think it will be worth?” asked the thief eagerly. Melissa shrugged.
 
“I don't know, Merrill,” she said.
 
“As long as it isn't some musty old scrolls, I guess it is fine,” she said, somewhat mollified.
 
“You know, if they are magical tombs or historical texts, Ila will likely buy them from you, Merrill,” noted Louie. “She uses them for reference and to sell to weird old coots that collect that kind of stuff,” he snorted.
 
“Stay focused, Louie,” Genie cautioned. “You're point today, so it is up to you to spot the enemy before they get close to us again,” she reminded him. Louie nodded.
 
“I know, Genie,” he assured her. The barbarian swordswoman just hummed her eyes busy scanning the area around and behind her for any signs of danger. The conversation died off as the party moved forward quiet and steady in the perpetual semi-gloom of the dense forest thick with moss and undergrowth.
 
At first, it wasn't clear to them that they had found the ruins they were looking for, due to the overgrowth covering them, but when Louie noticed that there was a profusion of straight lines in the ground, and mentioned it, Melissa had understood what it meant. “It's probably either under ground, or has been swallowed up by the forest,” she said, looking around. “Either way, we best make camp for the night; it's almost dark,” she noticed.
 
“But, it's barely half-past noon,” protested Louie. Melissa pointed to the trees all around them.
 
“True, but with the thick cover, we can barely see the ground right now,” she pointed out. “In less than a half hour, we will be unable to see even the trees,” she added.
 
“Well, it isn't like the ruins are going to be any brighter in full daylight, if they are under ground or covered in trees,” he counter-argued.
 
“Yes, that is correct,” agreed Melissa. “However, we've been traveling all day, been ambushed and injured, so we should rest before tackling the ruins.”
 
“Oh. Well,” said Louie, “that makes sense.”
 
“So glad to hear that,” muttered Merrill. Without further comment, the group swiftly set about making camp, hacking the underbrush clear, then raking the dead leaves and small limbs clear to keep small ground-dwelling insects at bay, and finally, setting and lighting a small fire. It wasn't that cold, but the nights had a definite bite to them this late in autumn, and the fire would likely keep larger animals away from their camp. With a decent supply of firewood handy, the four settled in for the night.
 
Since their tent was lost, they had to make their beds on a thin mattress of fresh-cut evergreen branches from the trees placed on the clear ground. With limited blankets available, the girls silently agreed to make a single pallet-type bed. Using two blankets for the base, and two to cover the top, it would allow three of the party to sleep in relative comfort, while one stood watch and fed the fire.
 
“Louie, I'll take first watch,” said Genie, draping her cloak over herself before easing down to sit on a half-rotted stump not far from their fire, her bare blade in hand. “You're up next, then Melissa, then Merrill,” she directed. Louie blinked. It used to be that last watch was his, but over the last few months, he had been moving up the watch position. For the last several weeks, he had been first watch.
 
“Uh, sure, Genie,” he agreed. Turning to the single pallet, he saw Melissa and Merrill settling into bed. Melissa had unlaced her boots, setting them aside before untying the lacing of her dress's body. Ordinarily, she took off the dress when sleeping, leaving her in the thin, sheer under robe; but not tonight. The attack earlier had made her leery of another attack, so she wanted to be ready, just in case. Even so, with the lacing on her order's dress loose, it was comfortable enough to sleep in.
 
Merrill had taken off her vest, revealing her knife harness, loaded with blades. After setting it aside, she, too, removed her ankle-boots. Then, she unrolled the thin leggings she wore, leaving her in her shorts and mid-riff tee shirt. Like Melissa, she usually slept in a loose shirt, but not after an attack like they had had earlier. No, tonight, she would keep her clothes on and her weapons handy.
 
“Go on,” came Genie's voice, “get some sleep before you watch. Can't have you falling asleep on watch,” said the woman, her face painted by the mixed firelight and shadow. Nodding, Louie moved over to the side by Melissa, sitting down before pulling off his own boots, setting them by Melissa's and Merrill's boots. Pulling his wand from the back of his belt, he set it next to the pallet, alongside his spare sword before laying back and reaching for the blanket. To his surprise, Melissa flipped it over him, leaving her arm across his chest.
 
“Thanks, Melissa,” he said, feeling her settle beside him. He could feel her body warmth seep through his shirt. “Are you ok?” he asked her.
 
“I'm fine!” she said immediately. “Let's get some sleep,” she added hastily. Mentally shrugging, Louie got comfortable, finding that Melissa remained where she was, one arm over his chest, and her face on his shoulder. Getting settled, he found that by putting his arm around her shoulders, it was pretty comfortable. I could get used to this, he thought, feeling her warm, soft mass against his side. And she smells nice, he realized, finding that her scent was strong in his nose, the result of her head being just below his chin.
 
He didn't realize that he had drifted off until he felt Genie shake his shoulder. Blinking, he opened his eyes, finding that he could make her out just fine. “Your watch,” said the woman softly. Nodding, he carefully extricated himself from the bed, quickly stepping into his boots and picking up his wand and sword. Surprising him, Genie handed him her cloak. “It's a little cold standing watch,” she explained, her sword coming to rest where his had a moment before, strong woman removing her own boots before slipping into the warm spot Louie had occupied. “Don't forget to wake Melissa for her watch in four hours,” murmured the redhead, flicking the blanket over herself.
 
“Yeah, no problem, Genie,” he mumbled, moving over to the stump she had been sitting on. Reaching over to the wood pile, he selected a fresh log and set it in the fire. Feeling the cold air stealing his warmth, he wrapped the cloak around himself, settling in for his watch. It was several minutes later that he realized that he could smell Genie on the cloak. Makes sense, since this is her cloak, he reasoned. Taking a sniff, he thought he smelled something familiar. I've smelled this scent before. I think Ila uses it in her baths, he tried to recall. Thinking of Ila, he wondered what she was up to of late. Engrossed in his musings and constant watch of the woods, his watch flew past.
 
Waking Melissa, he traded off with her, carefully climbing into the middle spot, with Merrill on one side, and Genie on the other. As he settled in, he felt Merrill cuddle up to him in her sleep. She's actually kind of cute when she's sleeping, he thought, yawning. Working his arm around her shoulders, he drew Merrill a little closer before drifting off to sleep. He half-woke when Melissa traded off with Merrill for the final watch, but no sooner had the priestess laid down beside him and curled up to him than he was once more asleep.
 
Morning seemed only a blink away for Louie, and when he awoke, he thought it was still night, since there didn't seem to be any light coming in through the trees overhead. “Merrill? Something wrong? It's still night,” he yawned. Merrill grunted, turning back to the fire which was now little more than a bed of coals and some small flames. On top of the coals, their cooking gear was set out and some food was cooking.
 
“The birds are singing and flying, Louie,” said the thief, rolling some meat of some kind in a mix of spices, herbs and crumbled trail bread. “So are the smaller animals,” she added, a small smirk on her face. “In fact, our breakfast delivered itself to us not ten minutes ago,” the thief giggled softly. Louie looked closer at the meat as she placed it in the pan.
 
“Rabbit?” he asked her. Merrill nodded.
 
“I wanted that stag I saw earlier, but didn't have the time to break out anything heavy enough to take it, so I took this instead,” she said.
 
“Rabbit for breakfast?” asked a voice. Looking to his side, he saw the barbarian woman sitting up, stretching. Seeing her stretch her arms over her head, he once more realized how attractive the redhead was.
 
“Better that than squirrel,” said Melissa from his other side. The priestess was tightening the lacing on her dress. As she tugged on the laces, Louie saw her breasts wiggle slightly from the shifting of the dress. Covering her mouth as she yawned, she reached for her boots.
 
“Might as well have a good breakfast before we check out these ruins,” shrugged Merrill, adding a pinch of salt to the sizzling meat in the pan. “Also, I'm cooking up the last of that soup stock and what is left of our dried beef,” the thief mentioned, checking the pot. It was bubbling quietly. “Call it twenty minutes until breakfast,” she determined. Genie stood, her boots back on. In the chill of the morning, her breath steamed faintly.
 
“Sounds good,” said the woman, moving toward the trees. “We'll begin after breakfast,” she said, pausing just past the closest trees and untying her loincloth. Melissa walked over near Genie and hiked up her dress. Louie moved opposite them for his morning piss. Relieving his bladder, he absently wrote his name with his piss, grinning like he always had. Got to have a good time when you can, he philosophized to himself.
 
Across the small camp from Louie, Genie glanced at the magician as he chuckled softly. “He's doing it again, isn't he?” murmured Melissa. Genie nodded.
 
“Of course,” the taller woman replied, squatted near the priestess. “I think it is just something all men do,” she related. Melissa sighed.
 
“But it's so stupid!” she hissed softly.
 
“What's your point?” asked Genie bluntly. “You'd probably do it too, if you had a dick,” she added playfully.
 
“I…I would not!” insisted the priestess.
 
“How do you know?” Genie pressed her point. “Ever been a man?” she grinned.
 
“No! Of course not!” came the indignant reply. “Have you?” she counter-attacked.
 
“No,” shrugged Genie, finishing up her own morning pit stop, “I like being a woman, anyway,” she said, securing her clothing; what there was of it, anyway.
 
“Me, too,” agreed Melissa. “Men are just so…limited,” she finished lamely.
 
“Hmm,” Genie responded. “That they are. They can't even get multiple orgasms,” she added, moving toward the fire. Melissa, reminded of her new goals, blushed. Hurriedly finishing her own business, she straightened the dress and moved over to the fire, helping with what remained of the preparation of breakfast. Louie was already getting their gear laid out and folding up the bedding. Since they didn't know what was going to happen in the ruins, they weren't going to leave any of their gear behind.
 
As the group ate, they shared small talk and joked with each other. Melissa found herself considering the almost-eager mood of the group. It had been a good, long adventure for the group, but since the choice was made to return to Ohfun and face what might be waiting for them, the entire group had perked up. Smiling to herself, she polished off her breakfast, ready for the ruins ahead of them.
 
-
 
“Ah, there you are, Ila,” came the voice of Headmaster Carwes. Ila turned to see the head of the Guild moving after her. She had been in the library, researching spells, and had been moving toward her room when the old man had called out to her.
 
“Headmaster Carwes,” she replied, waiting for him to catch up to her. “Is something wrong?” asked the young mage.
 
“No, not really,” he said, the two walking side by side as they moved down the passage. “I thought you would like to know that your marks on the finals were exceptional,” he said. Ila inclined her head.
 
“Thank you, Master Carwes,” said the young woman. “I thought I did pretty well, but it is nice to know that I made it,” she smiled. If only Louie tried, I am sure he could do it, too, she thought. But, I guess he has chosen adventuring over magic.
 
“I was wondering, Ila,” said Carwes a few moments later, “have you heard anything from Louie?”
 
“Louie? No,” said Ila, her attention suddenly fixed on Carwes. “I haven't; have you?” she asked, almost eagerly.
 
“No,” sighed the man. “The captain of the guard who went to check on the home of one of the adventurers that he is with reported that it has been deserted for some time,” he shared. Ila found herself nodding.
 
“Yes, Genie's house hasn't been visited for some time,” she agreed absently. Carwes quirked an eyebrow at that.
 
“You know them?” he asked her. Ila nodded.
 
“As a matter of fact, yes,” the young woman replied. “Merrill's home - such as it is! - has been deserted, and the acolytes at the temple say that Melissa hasn't been in contact with the temple since the incident at the castle,” she related. Carwes began to chuckle.
 
“I am getting old,” he laughed, “if I am forgetting what I tell my students!”
 
“Huh?” wondered Ila, absently adjusting her glasses.
 
“I told Lily that if she wanted to know anything about Louie, she should ask you, and yet, I completely forgot to take my own advice!” he laughed. “I could have saved the King a fair amount of effort if I had just thought to ask you about Louie,” the old man shook his head ruefully.
 
“Speaking of that,” said Ila, eager to change the focus of the conversation, “I haven't seen Lily around recently. Has she gone on another adventure?” guessed the woman. Carwes considered that.
 
“She and her party have gone on a trip,” said the headmaster. Ila knew that her `party' meant that the Prince was out of the city.
 
“I see,” murmured Ila. “Are they expected back soon?” she wondered. Carwes shrugged.
 
“I have no idea, Ila,” said the older man. “Say, could I interest you in attending a small gathering with the King, High Priestess Jenny and a few others later this week? Say two days from now?” he asked. Ila blinked.
 
“What business could the king have with me?” she wondered. Oh, I hope it isn't about what Louie did to his castle, she thought uneasily. I suppose, if it comes to it, I can make reparations for the costs of repairs, but with the Guild doing most of the work, it shouldn't be a large sum, she calculated.
 
“Oh? Perhaps I should ask if you have spoken with your father recently,” Carwes parried. Ila shook her head.
 
“Not in the last few weeks, no,” she said.
 
“Ah, I see,” mused Carwes. “In any event, I would like for you to join us, Ila,” he insisted. The young woman considered that.
 
“I don't know, Headmaster,” she began slowly.
 
“Please, it is a favor for King Rijarl, Ila,” said the old man. Ila sighed.
 
“Very well,” she said. “Please inform the King when next you see him that I am honored to be invited to attend him at the castle,” she said. Carwes gave her a surprisingly playful smile.
 
“Strange, Ila,” he said blandly, “but you don't sound honored.” Ila blinked.
 
“Of course I am honored to be extended an invitation to meet with the King,” she hurriedly covered. “It is just that…!”
 
“Calm down, Ila,” chuckled Carwes, “it has nothing to do with the incident,” he soothed her. “Furthermore, I should note that this is not a royal decree, but a personal request from Rijarl, who would like to get to know you a little better,” he explained.
 
“Me? Why me?” wondered the girl.
 
“May I suggest that you ask him that yourself, Ila?” suggested Carwes. “I will expect you at my office day after tomorrow, just before sundown, then,” he said. Ila nodded.
 
“Yes, sir,” she said.
 
“Oh, and Ila,” added the old man, “you needn't wear a formal gown, though some attention to your dress would be advisable,” he said. Ila sighed.
 
“I understand,” she said. “Though, what the king could be thinking is a mystery to me. I'm no one special,” she insisted.
 
“I would hardly count the sole daughter of the largest merchant firm in Ohfun as `nothing special', my dear Ila,” came the dry reply.
 
-
 
“It's almost dark; we need to make camp for the night,” said Littler, looking around. “I think that that stand of trees will serve nicely, don't you?” he asked the woman at his elbow.
 
“Yes, your highness,” agreed Isabelle. Just behind the two, Lily and Jackinson broke off their quiet conversation. It had taken some time and a lot of effort, but the pair was once more true companions. While Jackinson had held a grudge over Lily's betrayal of the group, he had bowed to the prince's decision to keep Lily on. After several weeks of stony silence and distrustful looks, he had been taken aside by Isabelle, who had asked him to try and come to an understanding with the young mage of their group - for Littler's and her sakes, if nothing else. He had finally spoken to Lily, and while the girl had been guarded at first, she had opened up to him eventually.
 
Foremost in Jackinson's mind was his desire to know what had made her betray them as she had. Lily told him, over several weeks' time, about her upbringing, about her ties to the late Dardanel and her grandparents, the Count and Countess Corwell. Listening to her, Jackinson had come to realize that he and she had a lot more in common than he had thought. His family had been loyal retainers to Rijarl's line for three generations, so he could relate to Lily's sense of family duty. Grudgingly, he had admitted that had they been in opposite positions, he would have done exactly as she had. Quietly, the two had started over in their friendship.
 
Now, as they neared the borders of Ohfun, the two passed the time quietly talking when their order of march allowed them to do so. Unlike their prior adventures, the party was mounted, seeing as their need for range and speed was much greater. It was also no longer a secret that the leader of their party was the Prince, and princes did not walk like commoners when not hiding their identity. Isabelle and the priestesses of Mylee had been taught basic horsemanship in their first year in the order, while Jackinson and Littler had extensive experience in horsemanship and were practiced riders. Lily was new to horses, but bore up with remarkable stoicism, showing no fear and little in the way of discomfort. Isabelle made it her habit to check on the girl's well-being each evening before going to sleep, and had used minor healing spells to help Lily be comfortable.
 
Behind Lily and Jackinson came the six acolytes from the Mylee temple, among them the trio of Melissa fans, Anna, Joan and Gannet. With three or four adventuring trips under their belts, it made sense to send them with the party. High Priestess Jenny had selected three more to fill out the party's extra fighting power, putting three of the most promising second-year acolytes in with the third-year trio. The three junior priestesses-in-training answered to the three senior priestesses-in-training, who answered to Isabelle, who followed the directions of Littler. Lily and Jackinson were not part of the temple's command structure, though Isabelle had made it clear to the six that if Lily or Jackinson gave them orders, it was her wish that they obeyed the orders, since the two had the experience and capability to make better choices than the priestesses-in-training could.
 
Moving off the road and through the unkempt underbrush and tall grass that bordered the royal highway, the party made camp just inside the outer-most row of trees, giving them cover, but allowing them easy access to the open area in case the need arose. Behind the six acolyte priestesses came the single supply wagon, drawn by a pair of mules. The wagon was fitted out for cargo, not passengers, and therefore, had no driving seat, being guided by a set of guide ropes that were tied off to the saddle of the rear-most priestess. With good ground clearance, large wheels, and plenty of room under the oilcloth and canvas cover, the party had plenty of supplies. Jackinson and Isabelle had overseen the organization, loading and selection of their supplies, so the wagon was packed tight and right.
 
It took the group only twenty minutes to set up camp, and as two of the acolytes tended to the preparation of the food, Isabelle, Jackinson and Littler studied the map of the area around them. A little ways off, Lily was casting the spell that would link her to the Magicians' Guild for the daily report. After giving the magician on duty the party's position and status, she ended the spell. Glancing at the others, she saw that Isabelle and Littler were discussing which direction to go once they crossed out of Ohfun. Pulling a small charm from her campaigning dress, she concentrated for a moment before activating the charm. Minutes passed, but there was no reaction. Sighing softly, she let the charm go inactive and turned back to the camp, hungry for some supper.
 
-
 
The four adventurers were deep in the ruins, seeking an unobstructed path deeper still. Several of the buildings had been collapsed by tree roots, or flooded out, or were hopelessly blocked by organic debris from ages of being completely overgrown. Still, the group was hardened explorers, and had managed to worm their way deep into the heart of the ruins. So far, they hadn't found much of value, though they had found the origin of the creatures that had ambushed them. A hall of rune-etched alcoves as long as the central mall at the Guild had been the first thing they saw.
 
The four creatures had apparently dug their way out through the obstructing tree roots, plants and dirt that had sealed them in, and it was through that fresh tunnel that the four had entered. Some of the columns that had supported the hall had collapsed, causing almost half the alcoves on one wall to be destroyed, while the other wall was empty. The faint tracks from the first four alcoves told the group that they had found the source. Carefully checking the other, they found that the remaining alcoves were empty, long covered in dust.
 
With a sense of relief, the party had moved deeper, and hours later, were several levels lower, the walls of the passage covered in some strange, softly-glowing moss. Louie was using his magical wand to generate enough light to fill the passage before them. At different intervals, runes and strange icons marked the walls. Some of them he recognized for what little studying he had done at the Guild, though others were something that he was sure only Ila or Carwes could figure out. I'll have to tell my old man about this place, he made a mental note.
 
“Louie, stop!” hissed Genie, the man immediately freezing in place.
 
“What?” murmured the man.
 
“I think I heard something ahead,” said the swordswoman tensely. Louie listened. After a moment, he thought he heard it, too.
 
“Did that sound like harsh breathing?” came Merrill's soft voice. Slowly, Genie nodded. Without being asked, Louie dimmed the light from his wand until it was a soft glow, not much brighter than the moss around them. Then, to the surprise of the girls, he softly incanted a spell, and the light focused into a narrow beam, the color changing to an odd sort of not-blue that made the moss suddenly glow white, while the uncovered stones faded to black. Farther ahead, the strange shift in light spectrum picked up hint of movement.
 
“Will our mystery guest please sign in,” breathed Louie, slowly bending down to pick up a fist-sized chunk of rock that had cracked free of the walls at some point.
 
“What are you doing?!” whispered Melissa, gripping her back-up weapon more firmly.
 
“Just saying `hello', Melissa,” he said calmly; just before he drew back his arm and hurled the stone toward the spot where they had seen the movement. Louie might not be the brightest mage around, but his aim was excellent, the stone impacting not a hand-span from the center of the patch that they had seen move. Immediately, the group heard a familiar roaring screech.
 
“Well, now we know,” said Louie, sounding almost eager. Groaning, Genie moved up beside the long haired lout.
 
“We don't know how many there might be, so stay sharp!” barked the girl.
 
“I hate imps,” groaned Merrill, pulling a handful of knives out. Melissa settled next to the smallest member of the party, her short-hafted wide-bladed spear ready.
 
“At least they aren't overly intelligent,” offered the Mylee priestess.
 
“Like Louie,” sniped Merrill.
 
“Hey! We would have had to fight them anyway,” defended the sole male of the group. Seeing a mass of dark-skinned forms rushing toward them, he readied himself. “And here they come!” he warned the group. Melissa kept her eyes out behind them; imps usually formed nests like ants, with multiple chambers and smaller groups spread out all over, so the chance of being rushed from both directions was good. At least the passage is wide enough for us to fight shoulder-to-shoulder, but not so wide as to let them surround us, thought the dark-blonde woman. And in this enclosed space, my spear is actually a better weapon than my pole hammer, given the lack of room to swing.
 
“There!” hissed Merrill, two knives slicing down the passage, sinking in with a meaty thwack!, drawing inhuman screams of pain. Melissa shifted her grip on the ash wood shaft of her spear, shortening up the grip distance so she could use it in short, fast thrusts and curving slashes. Half a step forward of Merrill, she balanced herself and sucked in a breath as the first imp closed in on her. Blocking the swing of the clawed hand, she used the inside of the imp's arm to guide the needle-sharp point of her fighting spear into the creature's throat, the razor-edged head neatly severing the flesh, spilling dark blood down the chest of the imp. In a tiny part of her mind, she recalled wondering why she had drilled daily with a quarter staff her first year in the order.
 
The Mylee order was not an order of swordswomen, nor were they an order of archers. The tools of the order were the pole hammer or halberd. It offered them reach, armor penetration, defense and utility, and could be improvised as a climbing tool, litter maker, and a thousand other uses. As such, the first year in the order, the initiates were all taught the basics, intermediaries and advanced skills with the quarter staff, in addition to their temple duties and studies. Second year students were introduced to spear work as a foundation for pole hammers and halberd work. By the end of their third year, the Mylee priestesses were formidable fighters; fitting, for an order devoted to a war god. Now, as an Ordained Priestess, Melissa understood why the order was set up as it was.
 
Merrill, fighting next to and slightly behind Melissa, was a knife user. She hadn't the physical size or strength that Melissa and especially Genie had, and carrying a sword or shafted weapon when running along roofs in the dark of night or sneaking through small openings was not that smart. As an orphan, she had learned the art of knife work. It was not uncommon for her to be carrying more than a dozen blades of various types. She also had a fair grasp of unarmed combat, though she preferred to stay out of contact distance with her adversaries and fill them with thrown blades. The imps had no talent for any weapon other than their claws and teeth, and thus, they had to try and close to contact distance with the group. Merrill picked off imps with surgical precision while Melissa handled the contact work with her short-hafted thrust-and-cut spear.
 
Behind the backs of the two women, Genie was doing her thing with her backup sword. Though she preferred the jumbo-sized blade she had broken the day before, she was practical enough to know that in the relatively-close confines of the passage, the more-normal sword that was in her hands would have had to be used anyway. Her people were warriors, and while many of them used bows, or spears, or battle axes, her family - like the majority of the families - were sword wielders. It wasn't a case of family business, however; Genie loved swordplay and fighting, though her taste for the more `organized' warfare had faded over time. Coolly and calmly removing an imp's head, she found that the kind of unexpected and unpredictable fights that adventuring got her still got her juices flowing. Never the same thing twice, she thought absently, cutting into the arms of another imp as she shoved them aside, her boot meeting the creature's chest, propelling it back into the ones behind it.
 
“Louie punch!” came the loud voice of the male in their group, and a moment later, the body of an imp flew back the way it had come, tumbling several other imps like candlesticks. “Oh, yeah!” laughed the man, running an imp through.
 
“Keep your mind on your work, Louie,” grunted Genie, “and for god's sake, don't shout out your attacks like that!” she carped. It was an annoying habit of his that had slowly been fading as he spent more time around the women. “If you're going to shout, how about some spells?” she suggested.
 
“Sorry,” came his reply, “I can't spare the concentration just now,” he explained. Genie didn't bother to answer. Within minutes, the imps were finished. Melissa and Genie were breathing a little fast, though Louie and Merrill seemed almost unaffected by the fighting. Looking at the imp corpses littering the passage, Genie took a moment to be glad that imps weren't that big or strong.
 
Generally, imps were only a little taller than Merrill, and didn't weigh much more than she did either. They were vicious, and attacked in groups, but weren't nearly as much trouble as goblins, who were about the same size, but being smarter, used weapons. Trolls, ogres and other big nasty monsters were pretty much extinct, thanks to centuries of knights searching out such creatures upon which to make their name or prove their valor. The kingdom of Ramlierth, in particular, with its high population of plate-armored knights, had done far more than its share of monster extinctions.
 
“Well, now that that is done, how about we see what is farther in?” suggested Louie eagerly.
 
“Might as well,” shrugged Melissa, wiping off the blade of her spear on the corpse of an imp. Merrill had collected her knives, wiped them clean, and re-sheathed them. Genie's sword was already back in its scabbard, cleaned and ready for the next fight. Louie hastily wiped his own sword clean, retrieved his wand, and tuned up the light spell. Moving down the corridor, they came to a large, round chamber. It had obviously been the imps main nest. Examining the room in the un-flickering light of Louie's wand, the party determined that there was no other passage in or out of the room.
 
“Dead end?” wondered Melissa. Merrill was looking around.
 
“Last stand, I think,” she said, pointing to the heavy iron-bound wood doors that were flat to the wall by the only entrance. “Still, I don't see any food or water here,” she noted. “Not much of a last refuge if you can be starved out in a matter of days,” she added.
 
“I'm not so sure,” disagreed Genie. She had been studying the floor of the room. “Something fairly large used to sit here,” she said, pointing to the center of the room. “Maybe a heavy weapon like a ballista or some magical device?” she guessed. Louie had been looking at the markings decorating the room's walls and ceiling.
 
“Maybe,” he said. “I think I have seen some of this writing before,” he mumbled. “It was one of old man Foltess's lectures, I think…” he tried to recall. Honestly, he had been tired from an adventure, and fallen asleep as he sat beside Ila, who herself had been pre-occupied with one of her gadgets. “Was it…?” he trailed off, closing his eyes for a moment before casting a small spell. The runic lettering on the walls glowed green for a moment, then faded back into shadow. “Guess not,” he laughed sheepishly, scratching the back of his head.
 
“Man! You're useless!” Merrill heckled him.
 
“Oh? Well, let's try this!” Louie shot back, casting a longer spell. The runes flickered white, but nothing happened.
 
“Oh! What an improvement,” smirked Merrill.
 
“Fine,” gritted Louie, “I was hoping it wouldn't come to this,” he muttered, casting a long spell. Releasing it, the runes flared blue, then seemed to disintegrate. For a moment, nothing happened, but just as Merrill drew breath to verbally harass him again, the sound of stone grinding on stone filled the room.
 
“Louie, what did you do?!” demanded Genie, looking around frantically for any signs that the ceiling was coming down or the walls collapsing. Melissa had moved to next to Louie, and moments later, Genie and Merrill were there, too.
 
“It was a spell to translate those runes, but it seems to have done something else,” he defended himself.
 
“Over there!” growled Genie pointing to the wall opposite the door. It had begun to move forward, causing the grinding sound, and now, it pivoted on the center axis, revealing a shadowed room beyond. The sounds died down, leaving only silence. Slowly, the group moved toward the room. Raising his wand, Louie focused the light spell into a beam that flooded the chamber with light. Against the far wall, glittering points of light shown back.
 
“Is that…could it be…?!” came Merrill's dreamy voice. Darting forward, the small girl rushed into the room.
 
“Merrill!” called out Melissa, Genie and Louie in unison. Who knew what was waiting in there, after all. But, they all knew that when it came to gold, nothing could stop Merrill's avaricious nature. The three dashed after the nimble thief. Ahead of them, they heard the distinctive clinking of gold coins spilling over each other.
 
“Ah, all these little darlings…!” cooed Merrill, dumping handfuls of gold coins over her head, “don't worry; momma Merrill will tuck you into Darling Jar, safe and sound!” she promised the gold coins. Merrill's behavior occasionally creeped out her friends. Trying to ignore the currently-demented girl, the others looked around.
 
The room held several large casks of gold coins, smaller casks of jewels - both cut and uncut - silver and precious metal artifacts like eating utensils and candlesticks. It also had a small pile of scrolls propped between two chests, and on a low, long table were dozens and dozens more scrolls, those these were far more cheaply made than the smaller stack of tombs and scrolls. Over in a corner was a cache of weapons, swords, bows, spears, pikes, halberds, leather armor, mail and even some breastplates.
 
“Something of everything,” murmured Genie, moving toward the weapons. Melissa was looking around the find.
 
“We can't carry this all out with us,” she noted, almost to herself.
 
Louie had moved over to the scrolls on the table, and opened a few. “These are history texts,” he shared, reading some. “It's a really archaic form of noble Orsinic, but it isn't fundamentally different than some of the books in the library back at the Guild,” he explained his ability to partially-read the texts.
 
“So, it's old, then?” translated Melissa. Louie nodded.
 
“It dates back to the beginning of the Old World,” he said. “Man, Ila will flip when she hears about this!” he enthused.
 
“What do you suppose those are?” asked Melissa, pointing to the other stack of scrolls. Louie moved over to them.
 
“Well, they must be treasure, given that they are with the other valuables, so let's see what we got,” he said. Reaching down, he picked up the first scroll. Opening it, he scanned the text. “Well, I can't read whatever language this is in,” he said a moment later. Switching scrolls, he tried again. Same problem. He was on his fifth one when he found one he could read. Scanning the text, he blinked. “This is…” he trailed off. The girls, or rather, Melissa and Genie, since Merrill was occupied with her golden shower, waited, but when he didn't say anything more, they prompted him.
 
“This is what, Louie?” asked Melissa. Louie rolled the scroll back up.
 
“We have to take all these scrolls with us,” he said, his tone uncharacteristically sober. “Every last one of them,” he repeated, beginning to look around for something to make a carry-bag out of.
 
“What's wrong, Louie?” wondered Genie. It was rare for him to be this serious.
 
“We have to get these to my old man as fast as we can,” was all Louie said. “I should have paid attention to those lectures on long-distance communication,” he muttered to himself.
 
“Louie,” said Melissa, her tone conveying her request. He glanced at her.
 
“Remember that weather control machine that Ila's old mentor was messing with?” he asked her. She nodded. It was not one of her fondest memories.
 
“That thing was a tinker toy compared to what someone could build with these scrolls and the spells in them,” he said. “I was reading about building a device that would levitate an entire country before I realized what it was,” he shared with them. “This kind of information is too dangerous to be left lying around.”
 
“But do you trust the Guild to safeguard this kind of thing?” wondered Genie. “After all, that crazy old man was helping Dardanel, wasn't he?”
 
“Being stupid and easily fooled isn't the same as being evil, Genie,” said Louie. “But, as to the meat of your question, no; I don't trust them.” Seeing Melissa open her mouth, he held up a finger. “But,” he cut her off, “I do trust my old man and aunt Jenny to know what to do to keep this contained,” he finished his thought. Being reminded of Louie's connection to the head of her order, Melissa felt a little better about the situation.
 
“Very well,” said the priestess. “We will leave the gold and jewels - except what we can easily carry, and get the scrolls back to Ohfun as fast as we can. The sooner that High Priestess Jenny and Headmaster Carwes have them, the better I will feel,” she stated.
 
“Agreed,” said Genie sparingly.
 
“No!” complained Merrill. “Leave the musty old books! Darling Jar needs this gold!” she protested. “There's so much of it, too! I could retire!” she went on.
 
“Merrill,” began Melissa.
 
“No!” repeated the small girl petulantly.
 
“Tell you what, Merrill,” came Louie's voice. “If you agree to help us get these scrolls back to Ohfun, I promise you that we will come right back with a couple of wagons, and take every last bit of this treasure. Deal?” he asked her. She sulked. She pouted. She called him names. She agreed.
 
It took surprisingly little time to bundle up the scrolls, and to fill their personal purses with gold and gems - the better for paying for their journey, of course! - and before they knew it, they were ready to go. Louie cast a spell that should have closed the treasure room, but the door refused to budge. “That's odd,” he muttered, casting a different spell. “Damn thing must be stuck,” he offered, trying a third. Nothing.
 
“We'll just have to leave it open,” said Genie. Merrill almost protested, but Melissa reminded her that no one ever came into the Black Tree Reach, and even if they did, the odds of them finding their way down there were remote at best. Grudgingly, the thief gave in. It took them another two hours to get back outside, and looking at the dim woods, the party had to make a choice: start out in early afternoon, or wait until the next morning to resume their trip through the Black Tree Reach.
 
The vote was made to use the campsite they had and start fresh in the morning. Genie suggested that they dismantle the camp before striking out, to further conceal the ruins. The party agreed, and swiftly set a fire for the night, cooked supper, and turned in. Genie suggested overlapping watches, given the importance of the scrolls. Each shift would overlap half way with the other, meaning that even though there would be two of them on duty, they would still get their sleep.
 
-