Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Immortal Flame ❯ Chapter 4: Calm before the Storm ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4: Calm before the Storm
Takeru stood opposite Keitaro, looking him in the eyes. Both stood there, feeling the others energy flow and ebb with each breath. A blanket of silence reigned as they stood amongst the old wreckage of the old annex building. A breeze wafted past them, disturbing the leaves and clothing. Takeru settled down into a fighting stance, “Ready, Kei?”
Keitaro, mimicking his opponent, nodded, “Let's do this.”
In an instant, Takeru had crossed the field and the two were locked in combat. Keitaro, not quite used to the fact that his body had kept up with him while comatose, was set on the defense. Relegating himself to fend off the attacks, he found himself able to defend without much thought, allowing his subconscious to do the work. Takeru threw attack after attack, but continually met Keitaro's defenses. Takeru smiled, “I see that you're able to defend easily. What about attack?”
Keitaro frowned, “If you wish it.”
Within the blink of an eye, the battle shifted, putting Takeru on the defense while Keitaro pounded away at him. Haruka watched from the side lines as the two went back and forth, bringing Keitaro to the point of confidence in his physical abilities. A smile spread across her face. Her memories of Keitaro, fond as they are, had not prepared her for this shock. It had only been a day before he had woken up that Granny Hina had told her who he really was. That bombshell had nearly put her into a coma herself, but she came to grips with it. A grimace formed on her face at the realization that the news brought with it. Soon, very soon, their peace would be shattered forever.
Keitaro landed a blow on Takeru's guard, forcing him to skid backwards and through a piece of flooring. Crashing through it, Keitaro readied his guard, “Let's get serious now!”
All the warning he got was the roar of Takeru as he smashed the piece of wood, his target already on the defense. Keitaro managed to block a few attacks, but every once in awhile, one got through. Though not strong enough to do any real damage, Keitaro knew that if this were a real fight, he would be dead by now. Summoning up his strength, Keitaro caught Takeru's next attack and flung him as hard as he could over his shoulder. The pause in the battle would be all he needed, “Let's do this!”
Haruka watched as the black and red flames that were his birthright flowed from him like water over a waterfall. His black and red wings emerged with a surge of energy, incinerating the nearest debris. Keitaro's arms shifted as his talon's emerged from their hiding place. Then came the visage of his true self.
Her cigarette fell from her lips as Keitaro's head emerged from the flames. Wreathed in fire, the head of a bird of prey loosed a war cry, cracking the earth and incinerating any nearby debris. From the direction he had thrown him, Takeru leapt into the air. A smile came to his face, “Let's see how powerful you are.”
Keitaro's voice, echoed by his gravel voiced bird, sent shivers down Haruka's spine, “My pleasure.”
The two met in mid-air, sending a shockwave out from the collision of their blows. Blow for blow, Keitaro slowly was whittling down Takeru's defenses. Slowly, one blow got past his guard, then two, then four. It went on until Takeru was only barely blocking Keitaro's attacks.
Haruka marveled at her nephew. There, surrounded by the flames of his power, was the salvation of the human race. Justice incarnate, Haruka smiled with pride at her nephew as he grabbed Takeru by the shirt and sent him like a meteor to the ground.
Takeru barely stopped his fall, forcing the ground to crater on his landing. Looking back up at Keitaro, he smiled, “Very good Keitaro. That'll be all for today.”
Gently landing on his feet, Keitaro let his true form slip back into the depths of his being. He raked a hand across his forehead, wiping away the glistening sweat, “I think that's about all my body can handle right now.”
Takeru, letting his power fade, laid a hand on Keitaro's shoulder, “In time, your body will get used to the constant powering up and down.”
“Yeah, “Keitaro's reply came smoothly. He looked around to see what become of their sparring ground. Whistling, Keitaro nudged Takeru, “If this is what collateral damage can be done by our powers, I'm afraid to see what intentional damage looks like.”
Takeru chuckled as he viewed the scorched and cracked landscape around them. He shook his head, “Hopefully it will never come to collateral damage.”
Patting his friend on the shoulder, Keitaro started walking towards the inn, “I don't know about you, but I could really use a bath.”
“Sure,” Takeru replied, running a hand through his sweat soaked hair, “I'll meet you up there.”
Keitaro waved his acknowledgement and soon disappeared from sight. Takeru stepped up to the rim of the Annex Crater as it had come to be known as, and looked at Haruka. Her eyes searched him, looking for some kind of indication as to what Keitaro could do. He rubbed a sore spot from where Keitaro had connected, “He's stronger than I thought.”
Haruka half smiled, “So is he more powerful than your best, or still on his way there.”
“Haruka,” Takeru started, placing his long coat over his skin tight shirt, “You of all people know I will never go to my fullest.”
Frowning, Haruka put her hands on her hips, “Sorry. Forgot about that.”
Takeru waved a hand in dismissal, “Don't worry about it. But to answer your question, I fought him at the highest I dare to go and you saw the outcome.”
“I see,” came her reply, her arms crossing in front of her chest. She turned back to look at the outline of Hinata Inn in the distance, “But does he realize that he is not yet at his best?”
Takeru shook his head. Haruka watched the sun beginning to set off in the horizon, Takeru by her side. Takeru broke the uneasy silence that had befallen them, “I'm sorry about what happened.”
Haruka let a single tear fall from her eyes, “Don't be. It happens to the best of us.”
“Well,” Takeru began, correcting her assumption, “That has yet to be seen.”
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
The water felt warm and inviting as Keitaro slipped slowly into the warm waters of the hot spring that had become a staple of living at the inn. Keitaro felt a smile come across his face as he remembered the first time he had set foot in the hot spring. It had been the first time that he and Naru had met. Keitaro smiled, `Well, not the first time.'
Casually, he began to scrub his body with the small sponge that was reserved for him. Since he had come home, the girls had relaxed the rule on him being allowed in the hot spring. He knew that the water would be good on his wounds, but had at first resisted. After persuading him and practically forcing him into accepting their terms, Keitaro had relented. Though he couldn't really complain, seeing as how the water was the best he had felt in a long time.
A faint pain ran through his body. Looking down, he noticed that his hand had come unconsciously to the most severe of his wounds. Gazing at the offending scar, Keitaro examined his gunshot wound. The flesh had mended, forming a rough patch of skin that was both smooth and tough at the same time. Curiosity getting the better of him, he gently reached over his shoulder and placed his hand over where the back of his heart would be. There he found the mate to the scare on his chest, though slightly larger in diameter and jagged around the edges.
Keitaro's lowered his hands, he let out a sigh of relief that Takeru had shown up out of the blue that day. If it had not been for him, Keitaro knew that right now he would be worm food. A shiver ran down his spine, as he pushed the though out of his head. Picking up the sponge again, he returned to scrubbing. A moment later, he heard the sound of the door open and close. Not turning around, Keitaro continued his current activity, “What a day, wasn't it Takeru?”
Keitaro heard the light padding of feet on stone and suddenly realized that Takeru was not in the bath with him. Daring a look over his shoulder, Keitaro felt a lump in his throat as the sight of Shinobu appeared before him. Averting his eyes quickly, Keitaro spoke up, “Shinobu, what are you doing in here?”
The water made a small splash and rippled away from where Shinobu had entered the water. Keitaro felt his boundaries being crossed quickly, opting for heading towards the nearest edge. Then a light hand found itself on his back, slowly tracking the outline of his bullet wound. Listening carefully, he heard the quiet sob that Shinobu was owner to.
“S-sempai,” came the sobbing voice, cracking as she ran a hand over his wound. Keitaro dared a look over his shoulder, coming eye to eye with a tear streaked Shinobu. Her eyes were red and puffy, and her cheeks were rosy with embarrassment. Shinobu found her voice much too soft, “I-I was so worried. Worried that I might never see you again.”
Keitaro, saddened by her words, turned to look her in the eyes, “No, Shinobu. Don't cry over me. What I did, I did to defend all of you.”
Shinobu returned his gaze, tears in her eyes, “Keitaro, I'm sorry.”
“For what,” Keitaro said, no longer worried about her being in a compromising situation with him. He put a reassuring hand on her shoulder, “What is there to be sorry about?”
Quickly, she lunged in and shocked Keitaro by crushing her lips against his. Keitaro stood there, shocked and unable to maintain a coherent thought. He stood there, wide eyed as Shinobu kissed him. Soon her lips parted from his and in an instant she was running out of the bath. Keitaro started to chase after her, “Shinobu! Wait, Shinobu!”
Running into the changing room, he encountered Naru. She stood there looking away, a look of sadness on her face, “I guess she told you, didn't she?”
Keitaro found himself at a loss for words, “What?”
Naru straightened up and looked at him, “You're really thick sometimes. She's in love with you Keitaro.”
Disbelief sank into his mind, “I-I didn't know.”
“She was going to tell you when you came home that day,” Naru continued, telling him everything she knew. She looked at Keitaro, “But then we found out that you'd nearly died and we weren't sure if you were gonna wake up.”
Grief and guilt pierced his heart as he wrestled with this news. He'd had indications that she had a crush on him, but never had he suspected it was that deep. Keitaro walked over to one of the stools and sat down, digesting the information, “All this time. Every time she pulled me aside to talk to me, each time she stood up for me, she did it all out of love.”
Naru frowned, “Makes you feel guilty doesn't it?”
“Yeah,” Keitaro replied, his guilt apparent in his voice. He racked his brain, searching for the right thing to do. Coming up empty, Keitaro lowered his head into his hands. Naru slowly crossed the room and pulled him into a warm embrace, rocking gently back and forth. Keitaro put his head on her shoulder, “Now what am I going to do?”
“That,” Naru said, sadness seeping into her voice, “is something that I can't do for you.”
Keitaro frowned, “Yet another thing I've failed at.”
Naru placed her hands on his cheeks and brought his face up to look into his eyes, “No you're not a failure Keitaro. Dense, but not a failure. She's young, Keitaro. She'll get over you eventually. Just right now, she loves you.”
Keitaro averted his eyes slowly, “But I've hurt her so much already. I don't know if I'll be able to make it up to her.”
Naru kissed him gently on the lips, “You'll find a way.”
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Shinobu sat, alone and lonely, crying in the fading light of dusk. It had been moments ago that she had finally confessed to Keitaro how she felt about him. Afraid of what he would say, she had run away. She had run to the only place she felt safe in the entire inn. Now she sat, face pointed towards the now setting sun atop the bamboo roof. Wiping away her tears she sat there crying in silence.
“Shinobu.”
Startled, she turned to find the one person she had not expected. There stood Takeru, his long coat and violet hair fluttering in the wind. His gaze was directed out at the fading sun, “You look lonely. Is there anything I can do for you?”
Shinobu sighed, “No. I-I'm fine. Thank you.”
“Alright,” Takeru responded, slowly turning to walk away. Shinobu felt relieved that he was going, but at the same time she felt fear well up inside her.
Shinobu cried out to him, “Wait! Please, don't go!”
Takeru stopped and turned to regard her with a half smile, “Yes?”
“Please stay,” Shinobu said her voice still dry from crying. She wiped away a stray tear, “It's lonely out here.”
“As you wish,” Takeru responded, coming over to sit beside her on the rooftop. He tucked a stray hair behind his ear, watching the sun set. He could feel the young girls unease, “Relax, Shinobu. I'm not here to hurt you.”
Shinobu regarded him with slight fear, “Then why are you here?”
“Shinobu,” Takeru began, his voice softening up, “I can't say now why I'm here, but I want you to know that I'll do anything to protect everyone here should anything happen.”
Her eyes closed slightly as she heard the same words that Keitaro had once told her. She scoffed lightly, “I've heard that one before.”
Takeru chuckled, “I know. Keitaro told me that he'd made the same promise to you when you first came to stay here.”
Shinobu chuckled a little, “So you really were inside his mind?”
“You could say that,” Takeru said, opting to tell half truths. He smiled at her when he saw the forlorn look return, “Why always so sad, Shinobu?”
She blushed slightly at his intrusion onto her thoughts, “N-nothing! Just…”
Takeru looked her in the eyes, seeing the truth, “Just what?”
Shinobu regarded the older man sitting beside her. His gentle smile and calm demeanor were a bit of a rarity around Hinata these days, and the affect was not lost on her. She lowered her eyes a little, “Can you keep a secret?”
Takeru chuckled, “Secrets are my specialty. What's up?”
Reaching over, Shinobu put her hand on his, “It's about Keitaro.”
“Oh,” Takeru said, faking amazement. Shinobu hit him lightly on the arm, making him chuckle. He rubbed the spot she'd hit, “I'm joking. So what about Keitaro?”
“Well,” Shinobu began, trying to find the right way to speak her mind. Finally the only option that presented itself was her best, “I kind of love Keitaro.”
Takeru smiled at the girl, “And he doesn't know about it right?”
A blush formed on her face as she remembered what happened in the bath, “He does now. Only problem is that he has Naru.”
Takeru placed a hand on her shoulder, “And you don't have anyone do you?”
“No,” came her despondent reply. She shifted closer to Takeru, “I feel so alone.”
He gently squeezed the young girls shoulder, “Shinobu, you're never alone.”
Shinobu sniffled, “Why do you say that?”
“Because,” Takeru said, turning her to look into his eyes. Violet met bright blue as they looked into the others eyes. Takeru held her shoulders in his hands, “You have so many people who love you. And no matter where you go or what you do, you will never be alone.”
Shinobu, tears threatening to burst, thrust herself into his arms. Her sobs came loud and unhindered as Takeru cradled the young girl in his arms. Gently he rocked her back and forth, whispering assurances in her ear.
“Shinobu!”
The shrill cry broke the calm atmosphere as the two looked to see Motoko standing on the small balcony that led to the roof. Her sword drawn, Motoko yelled, “Shinobu, stay away from him! He will corrupt you!”
Takeru, fed up with her constant harassment, stood up. A gust of wind caught his clothes and hair, flaring them out behind him, “Motoko. What is your problem? What do you have against me?”
Motoko spat at him, “You of all things should know, demon!”
Takeru had had enough, “Motoko! For the last time, I am no demon!”
“Likely excuse,” Motoko spat, leaping up onto the rooftop. Her sword and stance sat at the ready, eyeing Takeru maliciously. Never taking his eyes off her, he grimaced. Motoko settled into an offensive stance, “I will purge you demon!”
With her words she raised her sword on high, shouting as she gathered her energy, “Zankusen, Ni No Tachi!”
The blast of energy cut across the roof, closing with Takeru. Dropping into his own stance, Takeru decided that now was the time. He felt his power rising quickly and his determination focused on Motoko. The attack came at him, striking him. Motoko smiled at the small explosion, “It's finished.”
“Not in the least, Motoko!”
Motoko stood dumbfounded as the smoke cleared, Takeru stood right where he had. His body was now erupting in blue and violet flames, gusts of energy bursting forth. His eyes had long since lost their pupils and had taken on the most brilliant of blues in color. Clenching his fists, Takeru glared at her, “You wanted to see a demon in me! Well now you will!”
Throwing his head back, his sapphire blue wings erupted from his back. Down his arms, sapphire blue lines traced the outlines of where his feathers should be. When the lines reached his hands, his fingers produced long, curved talons. Then with an inhuman cry, the flames surrounded him, finishing his transformation. When the flames had cleared enough to see him, Motoko recoiled in fear. There standing before her, was a creature of fire. There stood a Phoenix.
Keitaro's voice called out from the balcony, “Takeru! Calm down!”
Takeru didn't even register his words. Keitaro, wishing to prevent anything from happening, leapt up in-between the two and blocked his view of Motoko. His hands out stretched, Keitaro called again, “Takeru! Relax! It's not worth risking!”
Then Takeru spoke, his voice echoed by a deep, reverberating voice. He grimaced further, “Kei, she accuses me of being a demon! Now she knows what I am, and I fully intend to take out punishment on her!”
“Takeru,” Keitaro's voice having lost its urgency, he looked directly into Takeru's eyes, “If you punish anyone here, let it be me!”
And as the entirety of the Hinata Inn watched, Keitaro let his power surge to the surface. Watching in awe and fright, Keitaro let loose his powers. Black and red flames poured from his body, just the same as Takeru's had done. His volcanic and blood colored wings erupted with such a force that the residents were sent scrambling for something to hold onto. Then, when they thought it was all over, a terrible cry pierced through the air. Naru watched as Keitaro, the real Keitaro, erupted for the first time in front of her eyes. Keitaro stood there, blackened flames pouring over his body, his body traced by black lines and talons raking out of his fingers. His eyes a darkened void of red, Keitaro pleaded with Takeru, “Please, Takeru. Don't make me fight you like this!”
Takeru shook his head, “Then get out of my way, Kei!”
A small hand found its way to Takeru's arm. Turning to look at the source, his eyes came to lock with Shinobu's. Her eyes, pleading and saddened, she looked into his eyes without fear. Bringing his hand up to her face, she gently nuzzled it, “Takeru, please.”
His heart broke seeing her like this. His flames died down until only the smallest of which licked across his body. Suppressing his power with all his power, he finally succeeded in containing himself. His power in check, Takeru let out a sigh of relief as he collapsed into Shinobu's arms. Cradling him close to her, she gently lowered him down into a sitting position. Keitaro's hand patted her on the shoulder, “Thank you, Shinobu.”
She smiled, as she wrapped one of his arms around her neck. Keitaro did likewise on his other side and the two proceeded to carry him off the roof and into Keitaro's room. Haruka watched as the trio disappeared down the stairs, and then brought her gaze back to the rest of the residents. She frowned, “Everyone downstairs. Now!”
Without a single complaint, they filed off of the balcony and back into the house. The only one that did not move was Motoko, still frightened by what she'd seen. Haruka called out to her, “Motoko! Let's go!”
Snapping out of her shock, Motoko gripped her sword and rushed off the roof. Haruka stopped her at the top of the stairs, gripping her shirt tightly, “You almost killed us all I hope you know.”
Motoko swallowed hard. She had had no indication of his being a Phoenix. Haruka relaxed her grip, and Motoko ran downstairs. Haruka looked around taking in the area around the Inn. She grimaced, `Hopefully no one saw that.'
Retreating inside, she hardly registered that indeed someone had seen it.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Takeru awoke to the sounds of yelling. Sitting up, he felt a gentle hand push him back down onto the sleeping pad. Looking up, he saw young Shinobu, sitting beside him and dabbing a wet washcloth on his forehead. He felt his heart break again seeing her like this. He averted his eyes from her, “I'm sorry.”
“It's okay,” her voice came, stronger than it had earlier. She turned to the side and rinsed out the washcloth, and in the dim light, Takeru could make out sadness in her eyes. She spoke evenly, “I didn't know that you could do that.”
Takeru lowered his voice slightly, “It's not something I'm proud of.”
Shinobu looked back at him, “Why not? I wish I could do what you could.”
“No, Shinobu,” Takeru said, sighing at her naïveté, “You don't want this power. It's a curse is what it is, Shinobu.”
She scoffed lightly, “How could something that powerful be a curse?”
“For Takeru it is, at least.”
The two looked over to the door to see Haruka standing there. Here eyes were slightly bloodshot and her voice sounded strained. Takeru added it up to the yelling he was hearing not too long ago. Coming fully into the room, she closed the door behind her. Haruka sat down near the two, “Shinobu, I have to ask you not to tell anyone about this.”
Shinobu recoiled a little, “Why? What is there to be afraid of?”
Haruka grimaced, “Many things, Shinobu. Motoko's family really does fight demons, but their small ones. At least compared to the ones that we fight.”
Surprise began to fill in Shinobu, as well as fear, “You mean there are worse out there?”
Haruka nodded, “Yes, and I have a feeling that their going to make their move soon.”
Takeru sat up, his eyes burning with an intense expression, “Then it's time to spread the word then.”
Haruka merely nodded, “I'll do it, Takeru. You just help Keitaro protect the girls.”
Standing up they both made to exit the room, but Shinobu stopped Takeru before he could leave, “Takeru, wait.”
Takeru didn't turn around, but he stopped, “Yes, Shinobu?”
“Haruka said something about it being a curse for you,” Shinobu said, her voice barely over a whisper. She could feel a tear ready to fall, “What did she mean?”
She saw him visibly tense, but then heard his voice, “My mother, as she was giving birth to me, was possessed by a demon. A very powerful demon, and when she gave birth to me, that malignant stain that he tainted her with spread to me. Years ago, after I had finally set her free, he came back and murdered her. I went over the edge and hunted him down. When I finally found him, I went berserk and let my power come out in a way I'd never done. In the end, I had killed him, but I had become taken over by my stained nature. It took the help of three others of my kind to bring me back to the light. One of them died because of it. That's why my power is a curse to me.”
Shinobu felt tears burn down her face, “I'm sorry. I-I didn't know.”
“No need to apologize,” Takeru reassured her, “I've never done anything like it again. But promise me, that what ever happens, that you will stay hidden from them. Tell me you will remain hidden until I come and find you.”
Shinobu choked back her tears, “I promise.”
Takeru began to leave the room, but stopped just outside the door. He turned and looked at her, tears running down his face, “Thank you, Shinobu. Thank you.”
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Keitaro sat in the main room, looking over across the way at the sword that belonged in his family. The black blade gleamed in the darkening light of the outside world. He traced its deadly curve with his eyes, thinking back at all the things this blade had done since he had found it. The most important of which, he guessed, was yet to come though. He looked at the stairs when he heard Takeru's footsteps on the wooden planks. Keitaro regarded him silently, looking his friend over. His clothes the same, save for one thing that was out of place on him. Hanging from his back was a large and deadly looking blade. In his mind, Keitaro could almost hear it screaming to be pulled from its resting place. He then broke the silence, “You feel better?”
Takeru nodded, “Thanks for standing between me and Motoko.”
“No, apology necessary,” Keitaro said, reaching over and picking up the Hina Blade. He held the sword in his hands, looking over the blade. A hand rested on his shoulder, “You'd have done the same for me.”
A frown came to Takeru's face, “I take it since your wielding that, it means that Haruka has left to warn the others.”
Keitaro nodded his head slowly, “She left a few minutes ago.”
Looking out the window, Takeru frowned. He felt the eyes on him while on the roof. He knew that they had been found, and that it was only a matter of time before they attacked this place. He shook his head, “It's my fault that this happened. I should have remained calm.”
Keitaro shook his head, “You didn't know until you were out there. Everything happens for a reason. This was inevitable anyway.”
Takeru looked at his friend, his blood brother. He sat there, sadness etched on his face and regret in his eyes. Takeru knew exactly what he was feeling, “Kei, things will never be the same, but you have to hold strong. For everyone, hold strong.”
Keitaro looked up at Takeru and smiled, “Thanks, Takeru.”
A sound from the stairwell caught their attention. Looking over at it, they saw the residents of the Hinata Inn waiting to speak. Kitsune spoke up for all of them, “So why are you all ready to go off into battle?”
Takeru looked between them and Keitaro. He saw Keitaro nod, drawing a heavy breath as he turned back to them, “Because it's time you knew the truth.”
“What truth,” came Su's response. She sat there on the banister, eyeing the two and their weapons with curiosity, “Are you going somewhere?”
Keitaro stood up and looked between them all before speaking, “Everyone. This world and everything in it is in danger. If we don't do anything to stop it, everyone and everything will be destroyed.”
Su smiled mischievously as she jumped up, “Alright! I'll go get my weapons!”
“No, Su.” Keitaro said, raising a hand to stop her. He walked over to the young girl and placed a hand on her shoulder, “No amount of technology is going to stop these things. That's why I and Takeru have to fight them.”
Su looked between Keitaro and Takeru, “But I want to help.”
“I know, Su,” Keitaro said, kneeling down to look at her. Placing his other hand on her shoulder, he looked her right in the eyes, “But this is one that we have to do alone.”
Su suppressed a sniffle as she nodded her head, lowering her head in defeat. Keitaro lifted her face by her chin, “Su, I don't do this to be mean. I do it to make sure you're safe. Do you understand?”
Su nodded her head and let a tear roll down her cheek. Standing up, Keitaro looked around the rest of them. His eyes fell on the eldest residents of the Hinata household. Stopping at Motoko, he spoke, “Motoko. I need you to do a favor.”
Motoko shrank back a little, “I-I don't know if I can.”
“Yes, you can Motoko,” Keitaro said, walking over to stand in front of her. Pulling out a letter, he placed it in her hand. Then gently he put her other hand over it and looked right into her eyes. Motoko saw not fear, but genuine respect and confidence, “I want you to take this to your sister and have her read that letter. She'll know what to do.”
Turning before he had any rebuttals from her, Keitaro looked at Kitsune and Naru. His eyes lingered on Naru, but focused on what needed to be said. He talked slowly, keeping his voice from breaking, “I want you two to watch out for the others. If we can't stop the things that are coming, get out of here and hide somewhere safe. When we can, we'll find you.”
At that instant, off in the distance, a loud explosion could be heard. Following behind it, several more erupted. The shockwaves rattled the inn, forcing the occupants to brace on anything they could find. Takeru ran to the door, just as Haruka burst through the door. Hanging from her hips was a pair of short swords. The look she gave said everything they needed to know. Takeru turned to Keitaro, “It's time, Kei.”
Nodding, Keitaro turned to the girls. Understanding, they started to round up what little they would need. Reaching out, he stopped Naru. Pulling her to him, he wrapped his arms around her tightly. He heard her sob quietly against him. Pulling her face up to look at him, he half smiled, “No matter what happens, Naru. I'm coming home to you. Just stay safe till I find you.”
Naru nodded her head, “I will. And you stay alive.”
Words lost on them now, their lips met in a long and passionate kiss. But that kiss came too short as another explosion sounded closer. Breaking it, they shared a last look with the other before they both ran in their separate directions. Keitaro looked back over his shoulder as he ran down the stairs, an odd feeling piercing through him. Takeru noticed it immediately, “Something wrong?”
“I don't know,” Keitaro said, as he drew the Hina Blade from its scabbard. He began leaping down the steps. Suddenly, he knew what was wrong. Stopping, he turned to Takeru, “I need you to go back and make sure they get out safely.”
Takeru had felt it too and had started back up the stairs before Keitaro had finished his sentence. He yelled back over his shoulder as he let the Phoenix in him take over, “I'll defend them with my life, Kei! I promise you!”
Feeling Haruka pull at him, Keitaro turned back and continued back down the stairs. As he headed into his first confrontation with the evil he was destined to fight, Keitaro said a silent prayer, “God, No matter what happens to me, please protect Naru and the others and grant their prayers. Should I fall defending them, I hope you would take me unto you, Lord. But grant me one request.”
Reaching the bottom of the steps, he and Haruka noticed the town a blaze. In the flickering light, Keitaro could make out the grotesque forms that were his adversaries. Feeling his power swelling inside him, he released it. As his flames consumed him, he finished his prayer, “Let me return salvation to the people!”
And with those words he and Haruka, drawing their weapons, lunged into the surging hordes of the unholy.
End of Chapter 4