Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Immortal Flame ❯ Chapter 5: Death Bringer ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5: Death Bringer
Keitaro cut through another demon as it charged him, the demon crying out in pain. Moving forward to take on his next foe, Keitaro yelled, “I'll kill you all for trying to take my home from me!”
The next demon lunged at him, swiping wildly with its claws. Keitaro quickly dodged out of the way, lopping off the demon's hands with him. Stepping up, the next one struck at him. He found only air as Keitaro leapt over him, splitting his head in two. Touching down, Keitaro reached behind him and grabbed the body as it began to fall and hurled it forward into the gathering crowd of demons. They either scattered away from the body or took the brunt of the blow and were sent flying in dozens of directions. Keitaro decided it was time to end the small scuffle and stuck his blade into the ground, flames pouring off of his being. His war cry echoed in the ruined passageways that had once been Hinata. As his wings unfurled, the shockwave from his cry had incinerated the demons within twenty feet of him. His body became whole again as he surged forward, his inner power echoing his charge. From somewhere off in the distance he could hear the cries of nearly a dozen of his kind. Behind him, he heard the shrill cry of Haruka as she turned into a blazing meteor, ripping through scores of demons before coming to his side. Their resulting transformations had erased all existence of the demons that they'd been fighting.
Haruka swiped away some demon blood from her face, “There are still plenty more.”
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Takeru hurried back to the Inn, feeling an emerging power. His leaps brought him back over the threshold of the stairs. Pushing off one more time, he crashed through the door. Inside he felt nothing on the first floor. Everyone was on the second floor. Beginning to feel uneasy, he jumped up the stairs to the second floor. Racing to where he felt the girls, he ripped open the door way to the room they were in. He registered that he'd sprung a trap a moment too late as he was sent hurtling back through the wall adjacent the door.
Takeru landed in the waters of the hot spring, sending water splashing over everything nearby. Pulling himself out of the water, Takeru heard the laughter. He felt his anger well up in his heart. Looking back at the hole he'd made on exiting the building, he was greeted to the sight of a very large demon. His horns were curved back over his head, and sharpened to a gleaming point. His armor a volcanic black, shining like an unholy light in the fading light of the evening hours. Takeru knew who he was all too well.
The demon laughed at Takeru, “Surprised to see me, Takeru?”
“Why didn't you stay dead?” Takeru spat, letting his power slowly bubble to the surface, “Don't you think you've done enough already, Gaaz?”
Gaaz chuckled, “No, Takeru. I haven't. There is still one thing left for me to do.”
Takeru let his power flow through him, igniting in flames around him. His wings snapped open and his talons emerged, “Oh, and what's that?”
Gaaz pointed at the young man, a sinister smile on his face, “I haven't killed you.”
To emphasize his point, he loosed a fire ball with his other hand. Takeru flapped his wings and shot out of the way just as the fireball evaporated the water. Hovering in place, Takeru drew his long sword, “You'll have to do better than that, Gaaz!”
Gaaz looked at him and just barely was able to pull his own sword out, as Takeru slammed into him. Their blades locked, Takeru crinkled his nose, “Well I see someone smells like they did the last time we fought; like rotting vegetables.”
Furious, Gaaz grabbed him by the collar and threw him through the ceiling towards the roof. Jumping the distance, Gaaz landed on clawed feet. Standing on the other edge of the roof stood Takeru, waiting for him. Gaaz chuckled devilishly, “No one to help you this time, Takeru. Looks like I'm going to win this round.”
Looking past Gaaz, Takeru half smiled, “I wouldn't say I'm alone, Gaaz.”
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Rushing forward, the two of them ran towards the center of town. Upon reaching it, they saw the sight that they'd been fighting to stop. There, beginning to pile up, was the dead bodies of those people they'd come to protect. Keitaro felt his rage rising, letting his power surge even more. Haruka grimaced as she pointed to the demons and several humans off to one side of the square, “I'll save them. You go take out any in the area.”
Keitaro nodded as he took flight to scan the area for any demons. In flight he glanced fleetingly back at the sight that was Hinata Inn. He could still feel the girls there, and kept silently telling them to leave now. Then he stopped dead in mid-air.
On top of the roof was the eruption of blue and violet flames as Takeru unleashed himself. Across the roof top from him, a large demon stood with a large wickedly curved sword in his hand. Looking back down at Haruka, he saw that she had things well in hand. Facing back towards the inn, Keitaro flapped his wings once before enveloping himself in his own power. Feeling his power surge and flow from him, Keitaro raced to Takeru's aid. He watched as the two warriors struck at the other, neither gaining nor losing ground to the other. Takeru's bluish flame was matched by the dark aura that the demon produced. Silently, he pleaded with Takeru, `Let me be in time!'
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Takeru's blade met Gaaz's again and again as the two fought. Takeru raised his sword high and brought it down, clashing against Gaaz's sword. The sword's clanged with an unworldly sound. Pushing off, Gaaz moved out of range of Takeru, “Give it up kid. You know I can beat you.”
Takeru smiled at the demon, “But not before you suffer.”
Rushing the demon, Takeru angled his sword down and behind him. At the last second, he swung it upwards. Again their swords met as Takeru used the distraction to reverse his momentum. Spinning around, he thrust his sword towards the demon's head. Just before it struck, Gaaz dodged, though not fast enough. The blades edge bit into his shoulder, cutting through his armor and drawing blood. Withdrawing, Gaaz put a hand to his wound to check the severity. Reaching out to it, he drew back blood covering his hand. He glared at Takeru, “You've gotten better. But I won't die from a scratch.”
Takeru smiled as his eyes fluttered lightly to just over Gaaz's shoulder. He returned his gaze back at the demon, “Then you'll die from a lot of them.”
Once again, they locked swords. Gaaz reached out and punched Takeru in the face, sending him reeling. Satisfied with his opening, Gaaz pushed the attack. His blade came down fast and hard with each strike, Takeru now barely able to stop them. His vision temporarily dazzled and blood gushing out of his nose, Takeru put out his best defense. Yet it wasn't enough, as the blade of the demon began slipping through his defenses. Feeling a gash open up on his leg, Takeru grunted as he fell to his knees. Takeru swung wildly to gain space, but the blade was caught on the edge of Gaaz's sword. Gaaz smiled wickedly, “Looks like you've lost, Takeru.”
A battle cry erupted from behind Gaaz, causing him to turn. Surprised by the sudden appearance of another Phoenix, he felt himself put on the defensive. The young Phoenix bore down on him hard and fast, their swords striking with an explosive force. The shockwave cracked the roof behind Gaaz, sending roofing in multiple directions. Gaaz, shocked by the force of the blow, never felt himself being hauled up by one hand and tossed to the other end of the roof.
Keitaro turned around to square off against the demon, “Now it's my turn!”
Takeru stood up, using his sword as a cane. He brushed aside some of the blood from his nose with his sleeve, “Thanks, Kei.”
“Don't worry about it,” Keitaro said, settling down into a fighting stance. Readying his sword, he spoke, “Just get them out of here.”
A nod and the disappearance of Takeru was the only answer he received. Finally getting up from being dazed, Gaaz stood up holding his head. Eyeing the new arrival, Gaaz grimaced, “It's been a very, very long time since anyone did that to me, pitiful child.”
Keitaro grimaced as well, “Get used to it.”
The demon began to laugh, his voice filling the air with an unholy sound. Standing up to his fullest, Gaaz looked at the young man before him, “You're new to me. I don't think I've had the pleasure of fighting you before.”
“Get used to fighting me,” Keitaro said, his bangs blowing in the scorched air. His face became deathly serious, “My name is Keitaro Urashima. And I am your worst nightmare!”
“Urashima?” The demon reiterated, not believing his own words. He shook his head and glared daggers at Keitaro, “That's impossible. The Urashima Clan is dead.”
Keitaro half smiled, “I assure you, we are very much alive.”
“As I said, impossible,” Gaaz said, settling down into a strong stance. He brought his blade into a duplication of Keitaro's, preparing to fight a long hard battle. His eyes never left the burning youth, “I made certain I had killed Kei Urashima centuries ago.”
Keitaro's face took on shock for a second, before it was replaced by one of rage, “You killed my grandfather? Not true, my grandfather died of natural causes!”
“What could be more natural,” the demon spoke, smiling wickedly as he did, “Than having your heart ripped out by a demon.”
Keitaro surged forward, his blade at the ready. The demon mimicked his every move, closing with Keitaro. Their blades met, setting off another shockwave. Locked in a heated contest, the two put all their strength into the contest. Keitaro spat at the demon, “You'll pay for what you did!”
The demon's face lightened as he smiled, more sinister than ever, “Then I guess I shouldn't tell you about your parents then?”
Anger swelled in him, as Keitaro found new strength. Powering forward, he threw Gaaz backwards ten feet. Reeling from the sudden surge, Gaaz began to block Keitaro's blows, slowly losing ground as he was forced back. Leaping out of range, Gaaz stood to his fullest. “You're very sensitive about your family aren't you, kid?”
Keitaro yelled, “You're fights with me now! And I swear on my grandfather's grave that you'll die before this war is over!”
Before another move could be made, a horn sounded in the distance. Gaaz heard the call and frowned. Looking hard at Keitaro, he let disappointment fill his voice, “We'll have to finish this another time, Urashima.”
With a blast of flames and smoke, Gaaz vanished from Keitaro's vision. Looking around, he made certain that it wasn't a trap. Satisfied, he leapt down to the ground, feeling the area around him for any demonic presence. None appeared to him, but he did feel the presence of several people behind. Turning to look, Keitaro was rewarded with the sight of the girls from the inn escaping. Takeru ushering them forward, he limped slightly, but was able to run behind them. Keitaro watched as one by one they ran away from the inn. Naru stopped and looked back at him, feeling his presence. A tear glistened in the firelight of the town, as she watched him from afar. Keitaro felt his heart breaking as he watched her fleeing her home.
Takeru came up beside Naru and ushered her along, breaking her and Keitaro's gaze. Complying she ran after the others, ducking into the nearby woods. Takeru looked over at Keitaro, sheathing his sword. Keitaro yelled out to him, “Takeru! Keep them safe!”
Takeru nodded and disappeared behind the girls. Keitaro was now alone at the top of the stairs. He looked back at the place he had come to call home. He felt so many memories wrapped up inside the wooden walls. It was here he had first met all of the girls. It had been here that he and Naru had shared their first kiss. It had been here that he had planned to live after Tokyo U with Naru as his wife. Slowly, he began to feel his plans for the future slipping, just like his innocent life had been since the day he'd been attacked. However, he had a new purpose for living.
Turning, he flapped his ash black wings and flew off to help with the clean up of town. He looked back, thinking in silence, `One day, I will make mine and Naru's dreams come true.'
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Dawn was fast approaching, and the devastation was becoming more and more apparent. The ruins of Hinata were growing ever lighter as the sun began to ascend into the sky. Keitaro stood in the town square, viewing the destruction that had destroyed years of life in this town in a matter of less than an hour. Keitaro closed his eyes as a hot wind coursed through the town. Since the devils had left, those that had survived the chaos we're being brought together at the center of town.
Haruka stood behind her nephew, making calculations in her head. Keitaro looked back at her, “How many survived?”
She frowned heavily, “Less than three hundred made it out unharmed. Nearly six hundred are wounded or dying. The rest…”
Keitaro listened to her trail off, knowing what had happened to the rest. The unfortunate that had been caught off guard and killed, no slaughtered, by the sweeping chaos of last night. Keitaro sighed heavily, “How many did we kill?”
“About four hundred,” Haruka spoke, her old self distant. She wiped a spot of dirt off of her face, “As opposed to our two hundred and ten.”
Keitaro bowed his head in regret, “That's too many to lose this early on.”
Haruka nodded her head, “Yes, considering the fact that they have the advantage in numbers.”
Keitaro turned from the rising sun and walked towards the band of warriors that had virtually appeared out of nowhere to aid them. Nearly five hundred of their kind had appeared in the first moments of the fight. Keitaro looked around the battered and bloodied group, “Who's in charge of them?”
Haruka grimaced, “You are.”
Keitaro felt his heart fall slightly, “I can't lead them. I'm not experienced enough to make those decisions.”
“True,” Haruka said lighting a cigarette she had managed to keep throughout the ordeal. Taking a long drag on it, she exhaled, “But you're the best fighter among us.”
His shoulders slumped, accepting his fate. Stepping forward, he looked the band of warriors over. Raising his voice, Keitaro spoke, “Listen up, everyone. We have to get these people to a safe place!”
A voice from among the crowd shouted back at him, “And who are you to order us?”
Keitaro stood tall, “My name is Keitaro Urashima! I'm the grandson of Kei Urashima and heir apparent to the Urashima Clan!”
Murmurs erupted from the crowd, until they were silenced by a lone figure walking forward. He stood shorter than Keitaro, his build slightly more muscular. His head shaved bald, he stared at Keitaro with a piercing black eyes. His voice was deep and gravelly, “My name is Kenji. I'll serve you till the end.”
Soon, the entire crowd had bowed down to Keitaro. Feeling embarrassed, he spoke aloud, “Everyone, we must get these people out of here.”
Without a second of hesitance, the crowd began to move in all directions. Keitaro walked up to the form of Kenji. At his side, a large battle axe hung from a leather thong. Keitaro sized up the man, “Kenji. I need your help.”
Kenji's shoulders snapped back, “What would you have me do, Lord Urashima?”
“Call me Keitaro,” Keitaro responded, beginning to be made more superior than he was. The attention was good, but it was too much. He laid a hand on Kenji's shoulder, “I want you to take a group of men and search the surrounding area. If you find any survivors, bring them back here. Also have a few men go through the survivors and see if there are any that haven't awakened among us. If so, begin to awaken them.”
Kenji snapped a fist to his chest, “Consider it done.”
Turning and rushing off in the direction of some of his men, Kenji vanished into the crowd. Keitaro turned to Haruka, fatigue apparent on his face. Haruka motioned her head towards one of the still standing buildings, “Go rest. We have a long war ahead of us.”
Keitaro headed towards the building, “I hope for our sake, Haruka, that you're wrong.”
End of Chapter 5