Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Immortal Flame ❯ Chapter 7: Pushing Back ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 7: Pushing Back
The path was steep, with a rocky cliff not three feet from the path. Naru hazard a glance over the edge and was treated with the sight of a thousand foot drop off. Falling back against the rock wall that ended the other side of the trail, she inhaled heavily. Takeru looked back at the women in his charge. Motoko, who had never strayed too far from him since they first left Hinata Inn, was calm but concern was evident in her eyes. Kitsune, clinging hard to the rock wall, kept her eyes closed and followed the rocky wall. Naru and Su came behind her, backs against the wall, but not pressed up against it. Behind them came Shinobu, her faced fixed with determination to get past this obstacle. Mutsumi and Sarah brought up the rear, making sure that neither one fell.
Takeru called out to them, “It's not much further!”
It had been days since they had set out, and they hadn't heard or felt anything living within that time. Truly it seemed they were all alone out in the wilderness with only a single Phoenix and Motoko as their only defense. Naru prayed they would not meet any of those things that had attacked and razed Hinata. Taking another step, Naru called out to Takeru, “Where are we headed?”
He faced forward leading the way, “It's a small cottage that's been out here since before I was born. My guardian showed it to me when I was young.”
Frowning at the memories, Takeru pushed forward. The girls followed behind, making careful judgments on where they stepped. They traveled for nearly twenty minutes, silent save for the howling of the wind against the cliffs. Takeru glanced back to check and see if they were all safe. Satisfied they were alright; he turned around, “Careful. The path gets real narrow up ahead.”
No sooner had he said that, than the sound of crumbling rock cascaded out from behind him and the cries of the person who'd fallen not far behind. Looking back he noticed one thing out of place; Motoko was gone. Looking down, he jumped after her. Down below him, he could just make out Motoko's flailing form as she plummeted. Calling his power from his core, Takeru released his wings and dove after the young maiden. He urged himself to move faster, praying he could reach her in time. Closer and closer she came until she was in arms reach. Reaching out, Takeru tried to grasp her hand. Seeing him, she reached to him, fear surging in her eyes. Takeru looked down and saw the ground closing fast. Reaching out with all his might, he caught her hand. Pulling her to close to his chest, he wrapped his arms around her and opened his wings.
The backlash jerked them out of the freefall, suspending them in the air above the ground. Takeru looked at Motoko, “You alright?”
“Y-yeah,” Motoko responded, her hand on her pounding heart. She looked at the ground and then to Takeru, “Thank you.”
Smiling, he flapped his wings and came back to the others. They had progressed slowly, carefully avoiding the hole Motoko made when the path had crumbled. Checking to make sure they were alright, he followed along beside them. Cautiously, Motoko wrapped her arms around his neck. Takeru smiled at her, “Don't worry. I'm not going to drop you.”
Motoko nodded slowly, “I know.”
Nuzzling closely to him, Motoko held him tightly. Takeru felt himself take a small measure of comfort in her embrace. Peering into the fog ahead of them, he could faintly make out the outline of their destination. He called back to the others, “I can see it. Come on, keep going everyone!”
Pushing into the violent winds, the rag tag group moved towards the faint outline of the cottage. Through the biting winds they made the shape of a small person standing in the door way, wrapped in a warm blanket. Takeru landed on the now widening area and put Motoko on the ground before checking on the others. Shinobu, Sarah, and Su were cold and hungry, but okay. Mutsumi and Kitsune couldn't wait to get in out of the cold and warm up, pushing the younger girls forward towards the waiting figure. Takeru looked around, peering through the blinding snow. There was one missing.
He looked back at Kitsune, “Where's Naru?”
Kitsune looked around, noticing for the first time that her friend wasn't there. Fear crossed her face, “She was just behind me a minute ago!”
Takeru cursed under his breath, “Get everyone inside! I'll find her!”
Turning his back to the wind and snow, Takeru began to look for his friends love. Bracing his soul for what he might find, he walked back the way they came. He would find her, even if he froze to death doing it.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Naru sat in the freezing snow, shivering from head to toe. Her arms and legs had gone numb some time ago, but that didn't matter now. Her thoughts were on Keitaro. In her heart she had felt a pang of agony. Suffering and pain had surged through her being and it had taken her completely unawares. Reeling in her mind, Naru had focused on Keitaro. Somehow she had for a brief instant felt his mind touch hers.
Clasping a quivering arm to her chest, she felt the freezing metal hanging there. Deep inside, her subconscious cried out to keep going. Yet her body was not able to respond to the cries. Looking around, she started seeing the snow taking on shapes. Bizarre and odd shapes swirled and twirled in the air, dancing on the wind. Exhausted and unable to push herself any further, Naru felt herself lying down. Vaguely, she heard her name, the wind playing tricks on her mind. Her eyelids became heavy and she felt the bitter embrace of the cold as she fell into the snow.
Suddenly a figure appeared above her, gently picking her up out of the cold precipitation. His mouth moved as if to say something, but to Naru he made only faint sounds. Slowly she closed her eyes, letting sleep consume her thoughts.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Pushing the others through the snow, Motoko guided them to the doorway of the cottage. Looking back she felt panic as she could no longer see Takeru. Fighting the growing urge to go running out after him, she stood her ground and waited.
Behind her the figure was making sure everyone was warm and gave them something to eat. It had been three or four days since they had eaten the last of their food that they'd manage to get out of the inn before they had been forced to leave. Motoko had refused to be warmed up until Takeru had brought Naru back. The diminutive figure appeared beside her again, offering her a blanket. Motoko looked at the figure and shook her head, “No, thank you.”
“Are you sure?” came the soft voice of the figure.
Motoko smiled slightly, “Yes. I have to wait for Takeru and Naru before I can rest.”
The figure shrugged slightly, “Alright, deary.”
Turning to resume care of the others, the figure moved away silently. Motoko returned to looking out the window, hoping to catch a glimpse of their protector and her friend. Minutes passed by excruciatingly slow, dragging on for an eternity before Motoko saw a shadow in the haze of the snowstorm. Hope welled up in her as she ran out of the cottage door. Her movement was hindered by the snow, but she still moved as fast as she could. Slowly the figure began to take shape, and Motoko could make out two people.
Takeru called out to her, “I found her! Help me get her inside!”
Rushing to his side, Motoko wrapped Naru's arm around her shoulder and put her arm around her waist. Carrying the unconscious girl towards the cabin, Motoko felt the cold seeping through her clothing. The door flew open as they brought Naru into the warm environment. The figure quickly directed them to a bedroom that lies on the second story of the cottage. Takeru let Motoko and Kitsune take over from there, opting to let the girls get her warm. After a moment or two, the figure came back down from the second story carrying a pile of soaked cloths with her. Takeru nodded his head as she came near him, “Is there any place that I may change?”
The figure smiled through the warm wrappings, “Follow me, Takeru.”
Doing as he was told, he followed the figure through a doorway on the backside of the cottage. Quickly, they came to a door, steam rolling out from under the doorway. Takeru looked at the figure and bowed his head, taking a quick look behind him as he did so. Standing straight he, smiled, “I didn't think you would be the one to be here.”
The wizened figure smiled as she removed her head wrapping, “And I didn't think you'd be the one to bring the girls this way. I had expected my daughter to do that.”
Kneeling down, Takeru grasped the old lady in a friendly embrace, “It's good to see you, Grandma Hina.”
Returning the embrace, Hina smiled, “It's good to see you too, Takeru. But tell me, what of the outside world?”
Frowning, Takeru stood back up, “I'm afraid that Hinata is a lost cause. And worse still, Gaaz is back.”
“I was afraid of this,” Hina sighed. Averting her eyes, she continued softly, “Then perhaps it was a good thing that my grandson sent you to protect the girls and not Haruka.”
Takeru frowned, remembering the slash on his leg. He'd managed to keep it hidden from the girls, but Motoko and Shinobu had stuck as close to him as possible. Takeru looked back down the hallway at the door they'd come through, “How is Naru?”
“So concerned, now aren't we?” Hina chuckled, “She'll be fine, Takeru. Now you go get out of those cloths and warm up. I'll have some food ready for you.”
Retreating back down the hallway, she replaced her head wrap. Takeru called out to her, “Why not reveal yourself to them?”
Hina turned around and laughed, “The best things in life are the little surprises that we give one another. In time, Takeru. In time.”
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Keitaro stood on a rocky outcropping, devastated by the sight in front of him. Down below, the city of Tokyo lay, smoldering and smoking. High rise buildings were either collapsed or still standing, glass and other materials shattered. Several large fires still burned throughout the city, black smoke billowing out from around them. Keitaro fell to his knees, anger rising in his heart, “We're too late.”
Haruka stood silently by, assessing the damage from afar. Kenji had been sent a few days ahead of the main force, but there had been no word from him since they came to the outskirts of Tokyo. Keitaro angled his head down, refusing to look at the sight that lay before him. Haruka looked at him from the corner of her eyes, noticing his anger. Quickly turning on her heels, she looked at the nearest soldier, “Break off into search parties and search the city. If you find anyone still alive, tend to them.”
Snapping their fist to their chest in salute, they quickly disappeared back into the brush. Haruka turned back to her nephew, pity asserting itself. Violently, Keitaro exploded, his flames ripping through his body. His wings erupted from his back, causing a windstorm of fire in their wake. His war cry echoed throughout the valley and into the devastated ruins of Tokyo. Raising his fists high over his head, Keitaro slammed them down into the ground. The ground gave way as it cracked and shattered beneath his attack. Shaken and shocked, Haruka took a single step back. Never before had she seen anyone just explode like that, not even the most powerful among them.
Keitaro stood up silently, drawing his sword as he did. His eyes burned with hatred as he scanned the horizon. Stopping his head, he burst away from the spot he stood on. Haruka, worried about her nephew, took off after him. She tried to keep up with him, but she was quickly falling behind. Soon, she began to feel the growing presence of a group of demons.
Calling out to him, Haruka tried to warn him, but he either didn't hear her or didn't care. As the battalion came into view, Keitaro's power surged even more as he dove into the group. Haruka then watched as her nephew attacked, only able to watch silently as he struck.
His hatred pouring through him, Keitaro dove into the army of demons. They barely got any warning as his voice echoed from everywhere and nowhere. The ones that had been nearest him, turned in time to watch as his sword cut through them like a hot knife through butter. Within minutes, Keitaro had touched down, swirling and surging like a raging hurricane. His face burned with the most extreme hatred as he cut through armor, weapons and the demons themselves. He wasn't fighting these demons, but massacring them. Haruka watched on, shocked and disgusted at what she was witnessing. She had heard rumors of the power that Keitaro might have bottled up within his soul, but she had never believed them. Now she was being force fed the truth as her nephew cut a bloody swath through an entire battalion of demons.
His movements flowed one to another, each time his blade flashed it ripped through at least one demon. Moving like a man possessed, his feet never stopped moving as he cut through their ranks with ease. Their numbers rapidly decreasing and unwilling to fight this violent force, they started running in all directions. Keitaro would not let one of them live as he took flight again and chased down what little was left alive.
Wandering amidst his troops, somehow spared of death, was the battalions leader. His grotesque face the very image of shock, he looked at his fallen troops, not believing that one being could do this much damage alone. Then he felt Keitaro's blade pierce through his spine and erupt from his chest. The last thing he heard was Keitaro's voice, dripping with hate and anger, “You're the last to die.”
Haruka stood there, suspended in the air viewing the carnage below her. Keitaro had wiped out the entire force alone and with ease. Never once did his flame ebb, but only flared stronger and stronger each time he cut one down. Covered from head to toe in demon blood, Keitaro drew heavy breaths as he fought his emotions. Standing alone in the midst of the carnage he'd created, his flames burned brighter than they ever had. Opening his wings to his fullest, he let loose a triumphant cry. The ground around him heaved and burst from the ground as his flame ripped from him like an explosion. Bodies and debris flew from him, dust and rock swirling and pulsing from him.
Just as quickly as he had erupted and destroyed the battalion, Keitaro's force began to ebb. His flames vanishing and his wings disappearing, his face remained the visage of retribution. Keitaro's voice began to loose its volume as he fell to his knees. Collapsing on to the ground, Keitaro passed out. Exhausted and sated, he slipped into unconsciousness.
Haruka gasped in disgust, “I don't believe it. He was grossly outnumbered, yet he destroyed them all alone!”
Flying down to her nephew, she pulled him into her arms gently. Calmly she looked around at the carnage and destruction she'd been witness to, and shuddered. Mangled bodies, ripped armor and shredded weaponry littered the ground. Haruka looked down at her young charge and cringed. Quietly, she looked to the sky, “Was this your plan all along?”
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Naru awoke to the screaming sounds of rage and vengeance. Bolting upright, the covering that had lain across her was sent flying. The image of Keitaro had roared through her as she watched him do the unspeakable. Her nightmare had portrayed Keitaro as a nightmarish creature, ripping through hordes of enemies. She had watched with her unconscious eyes as he had torn through their armor and weapons with frightening ease, and had done the same to their flesh. Bringing a hand to her head, she shook the thoughts away, dismissing them as merely fantasy that was created by her mind.
However, over the course of the past weeks, Naru had begun to feel the line between reality and fantasy beginning to blur. For the first time, she looked around the room, wondering where she was. It was a small room, lit by candle light. The light danced across the room, flickering and snapping over unseen objects in the room. Off to her right was a chair, on top of which her clothes sat. Feeling different, she pulled the covers up enough to look down at herself. She was relieved to find herself in some very modest pajamas. Lying back in the bed, she was startled by the door creaking open. Sitting up, she watched as a small figure came into the room. In their hand was a tray with food and a cup of tea, the latter of which was steaming. Smiling the figure looked at her, “Well, good to see your awake deary.”
Naru watched as the figure came into the room and set down the tray by her bedside. She looked closely at the diminutive figure, “Who are you?”
The figure chuckled, “I'm surprised at you, Naru. How could you forget me?”
Naru felt her heart lift slightly, “Granny…”
“Shhh,” She said, placing a hand over Naru's mouth. Assured that Naru would not alert the others, Hina removed her hand, “Quiet now. The others don't know and I'd prefer they didn't right now.”
Naru looked at her questioningly, “Why hide who you are?”
Taking a seat by the bedside, Hina sighed gently, “For the same reason that you hide. To stay safe.”
Naru gave her a skeptical look, “Why?”
“Naru,” Hina began, placing a hand on hers. Patting it gently she looked away form the young woman, “I don't think you would understand. It's the real reason I left Keitaro in charge of Hinata Inn, and I don't think that even he fully understands why I left. Nor do I expect him too in this lifetime.”
Looking back up, Hina noticed the growing confusion. She patted Naru's hand again, then stood up and turned for the door. Looking back over her shoulder, Hina grinned, “In due time, Naru, you'll understand too.”
Naru watched as Hina walked out of the room, all the while wondering about her cryptic messages. Calmly, she picked up the tea cup by her bed and sipped at it cautiously. The warm liquid burned a little as it went down her throat, but it warmed her core nicely. Drinking a little more, Naru felt peaceful and at ease. She grinned secretly, like a child with a deep secret at Hina. She looked at the closed door, and smiled knowing that it was indeed Hina that had given her the tea.
End of Chapter 7