Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Immortal Flame ❯ Chapter 9: Seeking the Truth ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9: Seeking the Truth
Gently, Naru felt herself coming too. A faint headache buzzing in her head, she cautiously opened her eyes. A dim light filled her vision as well as the hint of vanilla wafting through the air.
“Good to see you're awake,” came a soft voice from her left. Slowly she turned her head to look at the speaker. Naru felt a small smile cross her face, “Hina.”
The elderly lady smiled, “You've been out for nearly four days.”
Naru groaned as she sat up, “I didn't think I was out for that long.”
Hina calmly wrung a washcloth out, handing it to Naru, “Motoko and Kitsune had to carry you the rest of the way.”
A sheepish grin crossed Naru's face, “I'll have to thank them.”
The two shared a laugh, and then silence returned. Naru brought the washcloth to her forehead, replaying the events before she blacked out in her head. Never before had she felt such a burst of unrestrained emotion before.
“Naru,” Hina's voice broke her concentration. Focusing on the elderly woman, she saw the concern in her eyes, “I need to ask you something.”
Naru watched her as she shifted slightly, “When you fainted, what caused it?”
Biting her lip, Naru spoke, “I-I'm not sure. All I know is I felt this massive…surge of pain and anger.”
Hina's expression darkened a little, “Was it centered on a person?”
The young girl nodded her head, “Yes. Keitaro.”
Naru watched as her friend's expression went unreadable. Quietly, Hina stood and turned towards the door. Sliding the door open, she stopped, “I was afraid of this.”
Concern and fear crept into Naru's mind, “What do you mean? What are you afraid of?”
Calmly, Hina looked over her shoulder, “Another prophecy, and another legend. All wrapped around my grandson. I must leave and talk with the Elders.”
Without much more than that, she left leaving Naru in confusion. Somehow she was involved in this war, but didn't know how. In the back of her mind she felt a soothing wave wash over her mind. In very short order, she fell into a deep sleep.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\< /div>
Takeru suppressed a groan of agony. Quickly, he tied the improvised bandage around his arm, staunching the blood flow. Inspecting his work, he returned his mind to the situation at hand. Taking a look over the low ridge, he frowned at the forms of several demons scouring the area. In no condition to fight, hiding and running were his best options.
Quietly, he began to crawl from his spot to further down the trench. Always keeping one ear open, he kept his attention on their positions.
He cursed his predicament. Only a few days ago he had been ready to throw his life away, but something had stopped him.
From the back of his mind, he remembered his promise. A small smile formed on his face, imagining Motoko's face. No one had ever wanted to be near him like he felt she did. Until now, he had assumed himself to be too far gone. Yet she still had stayed near him.
A noise close by alerted him to a demon passing near him. Quietly and quickly he hid behind a fallen wall. Loose rocks and debris shifted under the patrolman's feet. Takeru held his breath as the guard stopped just on the other side of the wall. Muttering a silent prayer, he hoped they would move on.
“Hey!”
Takeru tensed. Somewhere further off he heard a child's cry as they were pulled from their hiding spot. The demons voice chuckled, “I found a mouse!”
From the others side of the wall, the demon laughed, “Think we could have some fun?”
The small child whimpered, “Please, let me go!”
The first demon bellowed, “I don't think so.”
A cry pierced the air as the demon cried out. Takeru heard the rush of feet on the littered ground followed by the demons, “She bit me!”
The rest of the patrol took off after the girl. Quickly she was caught. From behind the wall, Takeru heard the sickening sound of a sword being drawn. A low growl emitted from the offended demon, “You'll pay for that, little girl.”
Strengthening his will, Takeru stood and drew his sword. Sweeping his blade over the low wall, he yelled, “Leave her alone!”
The first demon didn't know what hit him as his head left his shoulders. Jumping the wall, Takeru charged them. The patrol reacted, drawing their weapons. Their leader grabbed the small redhead and began to run.
Takeru dodged the first's weapons, and then planted his bad arms talons in the demons throat. Spinning, he ripped his victim's throat out and brought his sword around in a sweeping arc. The blade arced wide, slicing the advancing pair form the right hip of the first to the left shoulder of the other.
Seeing the leader running, Takeru lifted his sword over his head and swung. Releasing the sword in mind swing, he watched as it spun towards its target. It embedded itself up to the hilt in the demons back, forcing him to the ground.
The girl screamed as the demon fell forward, releasing its hold on her. Takeru brought a hand to his arm, cradling his wounded arm. He smiled, having saved another innocent life. He moved quickly to the little girl, “Are you alright?”
She nodded, shaking her red hair violently, “Yes. T-Thank you!”
Retrieving his sword and sheathing it, he grinned, “Don't worry about it. Come on we have to get out of here. More will be coming soon.”
Nodding again, she followed him as he began to run. For a few minutes, they went on without a problem. Then Takeru began to slow, stumbling slightly.
Stopping and leaning against a large piece of debris, he cursed his luck, “Damn! Not now!”
The girl then noticed the spreading stain on his pants. She pulled back, “You're hurt!”
Takeru frowned, “I'll be fine. Come on!”
Standing, he placed his weight on his leg. He stood firm for a few seconds, and then collapsed to his hands and knees. The girl ran to his side, placing a hand on his shoulder. She surveyed the wound wearily, “We have to get you somewhere safe to bandage it.”
He looked at her, pulling himself onto one knee, “We don't have time…”
The look in her eyes burned through him. For an instant, he swore that he'd seen it before. He relaxed a little, “Alright, but we have to hide fast.”
Calmly, she pulled his good arm over her shoulders and began to help him to a nearby ruined store. Off in the distance, the sound of birds fleeing could be heard as the next patrol stirred them. Forcing herself to push harder, she finally managed to get him inside the building. Retreating to the back of the store, they hid in the storage closet.
Takeru eased himself to the ground, “Thank you.”
The little girl bowed her head, “You saved me. It is the least I can do.”
He laughed a little bit, “You know, I haven't properly introduced myself. My name is Takeru. What's yours?”
She lowered her eyes, “Mei. My name is Mei.”
“Well, Mei,” Takeru said, extending a hand to shake hers. He was pleased when she gripped it, “It's nice to meet you. And I promise that I'll get you somewhere safe.”
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\< /div>
On the ramparts of the Shinmei Ryu School, Motoko looked back at the way she'd come. It'd been almost a week since Takeru had distracted the enemy to allow them safe passage. Her heart was aching, hoping he'd made it out alive, but her mind told her that his chances were slim.
`Shut up,' she yelled at herself, the cry contained within the confines of her mind. She couldn't believe that he was dead. There was every reason that he would keep his promise. A silent tear rolled down her face, chilled by the breeze, `He's alive. He has to be, I…'
She stopped herself from finishing the thought. Only in the past few weeks had she come to fight these familiar feelings. How could she fall in love with a man like Takeru? Yes, he was strong and well versed with a sword, but was that all that all she liked about him?
A light creak of the boards behind her broke her thoughts, “Motoko.”
Turning around, she bowed to her sister, “Tsuruko. To what do I owe this honor?”
Her sister smiled, “Enough of the formalities, Motoko. We're sisters.”
Motoko blushed, “I'm sorry.”
“No apology required,” came her sister's soft voice. With unearthly grace, she walked to the edge of the wall. Her look became distant, almost disturbed. It nearly startled Motoko when she spoke, “I just hope that we can save enough people.”
Cautiously, Motoko stepped up beside her sister, “Where is your husband?”
Tsuruko lowered her eyes slightly, “He went with a large group of warriors to search for survivors after we repelled the initial attack on Kyoto. I haven't heard from him in almost a month.”
Her gaze turned to Motoko, “And has there been any sign of Takeru?”
Motoko shook her head, causing Tsuruko's head to lower again, “I fear for his safety. And for Keitaro and Haruka's as well.”
Then Motoko realized something, feeling the now familiar weight of Keitaro's letter. Reaching inside her sleeve, she pulled out the letter. She slowly gave it to Tsuruko, “Keitaro gave me this to deliver to you. He said you'll know what it means.”
Opening the letter, Tsuruko read the letter. Lowering it, she nodded, “Thank you, Motoko. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to talk to the school Masters.”
As she bowed, Motoko returned it with a deeper bow. She watched as her sister calmly walked away, leaving her to her thoughts again.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\< /div>
Haruka stayed near her nephew, in hopes of calming him, but so far her attempts had failed to break his resolve. She frowned as he began to call the head of each group into a meeting.
A collective breath was released as Keitaro's eyes finally reverted to normal. He looked across the group before speaking, “People, the situation is critical. Right now, our forces are spread too thin to mount an effective counterattack. We also know, thanks to Kenji, that their last leader is alive and leading this attack.”
A murmur ripped through the assembled group. One brave soul spoke up, “Lord Urashima, what can we do? This demon has risen from death that your grandfather caused. How can we beat this monster?”
Keitaro's eyes flickered as he scanned each man's face, “I don't ask everyone to fight now, but I will ask that you each pick your two best men to come with me.”
Her voice surprised her, as Haruka spoke, “What are you planning Keitaro?”
Bowing his head, he sighed, “As we are we can't win, but there is a way to buy enough time to prepare for the counter offensive and to gather info on the enemy.”
He met Kenji's gaze, “Haruka, Kenji and myself will lead a small group of men in a search and destroy mission. The target is their leader.”
Almost instantly there were loud objections. One man, into his late teens, was the most outspoken. He fixed Keitaro with a dangerous glare, “You ask me to send two of my men to go on a suicide mission with you!”
“Respect his order,” Kenji returned, eying the man wearily. His voice hid the threat, “Be glad he doesn't ask for you. Know your place, Ichiro.”
Ichiro glared at Kenji, “As you should know yours, coward.”
Slamming a fist down on the table, Keitaro's power flared, “Silence! This constant bickering will get us nowhere!”
As the table settled, Keitaro relaxed, “All I ask for is two volunteers of each clan. The rest of you will get a different directive for you and your men.”
The eldest man spoke, concern in his voice, “And what will our orders be?”
“Your orders are this,” Keitaro began, standing up to his fullest, “Ichiro's and Kanagawa's clan will go to Kyoto to help bolster the defense. Kou's clan will go to search for survivors in Sendai and Oda's in Kagoshima. Daisuke will take his clan and go north past Kyoto to reinforce the clans there.”
Haruka cleared her throat, “But your directive is to get all innocents to Kyoto. If that means retreating from a fight, do it. That goes doubly certain for you, Ichiro.”
Silently and one after another, everyone agreed. Even Ichiro agreed, hesitantly. Keitaro breathed a sigh of relief, “You have your orders. All forces leave at dawn tomorrow. Have all volunteers come here tonight.”
As the men stood, Keitaro motioned to Kanagawa. The older man stayed behind, “Yes, Lord Urashima?”
Keitaro placed a hand on his shoulder, “When you get to Kyoto, check on the others I sent ahead. If necessary, defend them.”
Kanagawa bowed his head, “As you command. I will relay the order to Ichiro as well.”
“Thank you,” Keitaro said, a smile crossing his face. Dismissing him, he turned to Haruka and Kenji, “I'm surprised they accepted their orders.”
Kenji nodded, “Not as surprising as you'd think. You are Kei's grandson and heir to the clan lordship. You have their respect, though some don't show it.”
The young man nodded, “I noticed Ichiro's reluctance to my orders. What is his story?”
Haruka sighed, “He's the son of my blood brother, Uli Masasaki. Reports said he was assassinated in the night, causing the mantle of lordship to him. Though many opposed it. He's had to be tough to survive, making him a harsh individual.”
“An assassination?” Keitaro repeated, not believing the idea, “Who?”
She shrugged her shoulders, “Some demon most likely, but Ichiro and some of his clan suspect another of the clans planned it. Hence his referring to Kenji as a coward.”
Kenji scowled, “And my clan has been mislabeled since by his. It's dishonorable.”
A small frown passed over Keitaro's face, “It's a shame that even in war, some of us can be suspicious of others. We're fighting the same enemy.”
Having said this, silence took hold of the tent. It wasn't broken until the ten volunteers showed up. Passing a critical eye over them, Keitaro nodded, “I trust you all now the mission?”
One by one they acknowledged the question. Breathing deeply, Keitaro continued, “You have two hours to gather any gear that you'll need. Once you have, return here. When we all get here, we leave.”
Their resounding affirmation sounded, they dispersed. Returning his gaze to Haruka, he frowned, “I get the feeling that we all won't be coming back.”
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\< /div>
Naru and Motoko sat side by side, facing the seats of the elders. To their right sat Tsuruko, her posture calm and strong. On their left sat Hina, flanked by a pair of female retainers. Their garb was reminiscent of the temple priestesses, but with the added benefit of light armor and a long sword at their side.
Suppressing a shudder, Naru listened as the elders entered. They took their seats, a somber expression on their faces. Tow men and one woman, each dressed according to their status. The younger of the men sat dressed in armor, a short sword at his side. His hair cropped short and a well trimmed beard outlined his features. The second man, dressed as an old priest held gentle features, but years of wisdom burned in his eyes. The woman, between the two in age wore a traditional gi and hakama similar to Tsuruko's and Motoko's.
“Lady Hina and Lady Tsuruko,” came the military man's harsh voice. He passed a scrutinizing glance over the tow young girls in front of him, “We have heard your news regarding these two women, but we are skeptical of your requests.”
Tsuruko spoke, with a firm tone, “Master Yamaguchi, please understand. If circumstances were different, I would not have requested…”
“Silence,” the man barked, cutting off Tsuruko's objections, “We understand the circumstances, but we have our own questions.”
The woman on the end nodded in agreement, “Yes, and besides, have either of the girls been informed of why they are here?”
Hina bowed, “Not yet, Lady Noguchi. I was unsure of your decision and sought your advice before informing them.”
The elder woman nodded, “Wise, Lady Hina.”
Naru squirmed as she felt Lady Noguchi's gaze on her. A light chuckle rolled off her, “And I can see why. So much fear and uncertainty in these two, yet so strong.”
Yamaguchi cleared his throat, “Which is why we must ask them.”
Motoko looked questioningly between Tsuruko and the elders “Ask us what, Master Yamaguchi?”
For the first time, the second man spoke, “Miss Naru, Lady Hina has seen fragments of your latest `episode' and has related them to us. She spoke of a prophecy to you, correct?”
Naru nodded her head, “She mentioned something about it, yes.”
“Now,” his gently voice came, soothing any doubts, “The prophecy is coupled to that of the Urashima prophecy. It states that a young girl, born with illness and cured by a promise, will be forever bound to the Heir of the Urashima clan. Both physically in marriage, and mentally.”
Lifting her head, Naru looked questioningly at the old man, “What does this have to do with me?”
He smiled warmly, “It means, my dear, that you are a powerful psionicist.”
Naru backpedaled, “A what?”
Lady Noguchi nodded, “A psionicist. Someone who has complete control of their mental abilities to the point of seeing others thoughts, moving objects without touching them, teleporting short distances. The possibilities are endless.”
The brunette felt her jaw flap open, “Me? I-I can't be! Can I?”
The old man continued, “You've had visions of the Urashima heir, correct? You felt intense bursts of his emotions, correct?”
Hesitantly, Naru nodded her head. The elder continued, “And this all stated when your love woke up, correct?”
Again she nodded, eliciting another grim from his face, “Then this is what you are. It is your fate Miss Naru. It is something you can't hide from.”
“But,” came her weak voice, “What can I do?”
Yamaguchi's voice cut the tension, “Lady Hina has requested you learn the ways of her people. She is a very strong psionicist as well and you will work directly under her.”
The older man then turned to Motoko, “Miss Aoyama. Your sister has brought to our attention of Urashima's heir's wish. He requested that you learn the long forbidden ways of our style.”
Motoko's eyes widened, “I-I don't think…”
Another chuckle came from his frail form, “Motoko, you have spent years in wandering, preparing for return to this school. As its heir, you must learn every aspect, even its most destructive and dangerous techniques.”
She swallowed the lump in her throat, “What must I do?”
Yamaguchi straightened his posture, “You will learn from me what you need to know. The training is long and grueling, even under unstressed conditions. Under the current situation, it will be nearly impossible. Do you think you would be able to accept it?”
A quick glance at her sister told her all she need to, “Yes.”
Lady Noguchi smiled, “Then it's settled then. You will both begin your training immediately. The council has spoken.”
End of Chapter 9