Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Immortal Flame ❯ Chapter 12: War Flower ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note:
"Regular Speech"
'Thoughts'
(Telepathy)
Chapter 12: War Flower
The days after Takeru arrived had been somewhat peaceful. Motoko and Naru continued to train their skills, improving slowly. Kitsune and Mutsumi had started looking after a few of the children in the spare time they had. No one had seen much of Su as she had been given a room and hardly ever came out. Though from outside the door, they could hear the sounds of electronics running inside. Even Sarah had taken to following Tsuruko around, trying to be helpful. For a time, everything seemed at ease.
However, two people were never truly at peace.
Hina noticed the flash of anger and the blur of blue hair rush by her. Looking back, she saw the form of Shinobu run down the corridor and around a corner. Turning back in the direction she'd come from, she could feel an equally angered Ichiro inside the courtyard. For a few days now, the two of them had been having a running argument. It would lull for a day or so then flare up over a single comment.
A heavy sigh passed her lips, “I'd best see what Shinobu is up to.”
Inside her mind, another voice replied, (Don't worry, Granny Hina. I'll talk to her.)
Hina smiled, (Thank you, Naru.)
Slightly relieved, she prepared herself for the task of talking to Ichiro. Calmly, she walked down the hallway towards the courtyard. She silently prayed he would be in a receptive mood when she arrived.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
When Naru found Shinobu, she frowned. Standing at the top of the outer wall, she looked out to the south. The direction she was looking did not lose its meaning to her. For a brief moment, the memory of Hinata Inn flashed before Naru's mind. The times they had there were peaceful and happy. That was years ago since they were happy.
Coming to stand next to the blue haired girl, Naru cleared her throat. Shinobu jumped at the sound, and then bowed her head, “It's only you Naru.”
A little smile came to Naru's face, “Something wrong, Shinobu?”
Shinobu's cheeks blushed lightly, “How can you tell?”
Naru chuckled a little, “I don't have to read your mind to see something is bothering you, Shinobu. Or, in this case, someone.”
A few seconds passed in silence as she waited for her response. During this small time, Naru noticed two things about Shinobu. The first was the deeper shade of red crossing her cheeks. The second was the knuckles of Shinobu's hands becoming white. Her smile faded as she placed a hand on Shinobu's shoulder, “What happened?”
“I swear,” Shinobu said, raising her hands, “If it wasn't for him being what he is, I'd wring his neck!”
Naru pulled her hands back in a defensive manner, “Whoa, there girl. Calm down. What did he do?”
Taking a deep breath, Shinobu looked at her friend, “He called me an annoying, clingy, blue rat.”
Mentally flinching, Naru frowned, “And you just stormed off?”
Shinobu blushed, looking away from Naru, “Well…not exactly…”
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Ichiro struck out at the ground. The pain shot up his arm in a welcomed relief. It provided a nice distraction from the world around him. It distracted him from her.
Unconsciously, he brought a hand to his face and rubbed his left cheek. It still stung from the hit he'd received earlier from her. He grumbled, “That annoying little runt. Why the hell did she do that?”
“Maybe because you insulted her.”
Turning to look at the door, he saw Hina standing in the door frame. The diminutive figure held quite the impressive stature as she looked at him. Bowing low, Ichiro reigned in his anger, “Lady Hina. To what do I owe this honor?”
Hina returned the bow, “I came to speak with you.”
Standing up right, Ichiro looked at her, “About?”
The old woman stepped slowly into the courtyard, “About Shinobu and your attitude towards her.”
Ichiro frowned, “Look, she started all this…”
“…And you threw fuel on the fire,” Hina finished for him. Ichiro gaped for a moment, looking like a fish out of water. After a few seconds he shut his mouth as Hina continued, “Why are you so hard on her?”
He turned away from her, “Because.”
(That is not a reason, Ichiro.)
A frown creased his brow as he recognized Naru's voice, “How about staying out of a private conversation?”
“Quite the contrary, Ichiro,” the wizened old woman began, “She has every right to be included. Simply because she is the one consoling Shinobu.”
(And I for one want to know why you're being such an ass towards her.)
His anger getting the better of him, he narrowed his eyes, “I have my reasons. None of which pertain to you.”
Hina shook her head, “That won't cut it, Ichiro. No more hiding behind that mask.”
(We want to know the truth.)
For a moment, Ichiro stayed silent. Hina could no longer feel anger radiating from him, but something all together different. After a moment, Ichiro fell to his knees and spoke barely over a whisper, “It's not fair.”
Hina mentally frowned, (Perhaps you'd best step out of the conversation for a moment, Naru.)
Getting a mental acknowledgement, Hina looked at the young man in front of her, “What's not fair, Ichiro?”
At that, Ichiro looked up at her. She wasn't expecting what she saw. Tears were running down his face, pain in his eyes, “Why does my heart feel this way? I feel empty inside. Why?”
Gently coming to his side, Hina pulled the saddened teen into an embrace, “Your heart isn't empty, Ichiro. It only feels that way.”
Since no one but Hina was there, Ichiro buried his face into her shoulder. Calmly, she soothed his tears. Between sobs, he spoke, “Ever since I came here…She…she's been so kind…and I've done nothing…to maker her act that way…Why?”
“Because, Ichiro,” she pulled back and pulled his face to look at her, “She wants to help everyone she can. And right now she needs someone as well to hold onto for some hope. She's beginning to feel doubt that Keitaro will ever return. That's why she wants to be near you.”
Ichiro, his tears no longer flowing as freely, nodded slowly to Hina. Wiping his face, she smiled, “She's hurt, Ichiro. You should apologize.”
Again he nodded and stood silently. Regaining his composure, he walked towards the door and opened it. Hina looked at him, “She'll be waiting on the outer wall. Just be gentle and careful of what you say.”
He nodded as he exited the courtyard. Hina let a sigh of relief pass as she smiled, (Hopefully this could help them both.)
Naru frowned, (Are you sure they won't just kill each other rather than talk?)
Hina smiled a knowing smile, (Trust me, Naru. They'll be better for this.)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
The sun was beginning to set when Naru felt Ichiro's approach. Turning towards him, she looked him in the eyes. He stood there under her scrutinizing gaze, hoping to gain a moment alone with Shinobu. She grimaced slightly, (Make her cry, and I'll make you think you're a gerbil. Got it?)
Ichiro gulped and nodded. He turned his attention to Shinobu. Watching her for a moment, he noticed the slightly reddened and puffy eyes. Inside he winced, remembering that he was the one that cause her to cry. He swallowed the growing lump in his throat, “Sh-Shinobu?”
Turning around, Shinobu's eyes flashed with anger, “What do you want?”
He looked away from her angry stare, “I-I came…to talk.”
She hesitated for a moment, before looking away, “You don't have to say anything. You've already said enough. There's nothing to say.”
“Look,” he began, picking his words cautiously, “I came to say…I'm sorry.”
A little surprised, Shinobu looked at him, “What?”
He looked away, unable to meet her eyes, “I said I'm sorry. I didn't mean to call you that earlier. I wasn't thinking.”
Slightly sent off balance by his statement, she gave a little smile, “R-Really?'
“Yeah,” Ichiro said, coming to stand next to her. Shinobu looked at him, then back at Naru. Her older friend smiled lightly and started to walk away. Satisfied that he wouldn't be a problem, Naru spoke up, “I'll leave you to alone to talk.”
The two of them watched as she left in silence, When she was completely gone, Shinobu looked back at Ichiro. He had turned his gaze to look out over the wall to the south. Shinobu looked at him, noticing the red mark she'd caused earlier. He bowed his head slightly, “I forgive you. It was my fault anyway.”
Shinobu blushed a little at having been caught staring at his face, “I know you shouldn't have called me what you did, but that doesn't forgive me slapping you.”
He shook his head, “No, it was mine. I just don't like having anyone get too close to me.”
Looking at him quizzically, she narrowed her brow in confusion, “Why?”
Ichiro looked back at her, “Maybe because everyone I've known has let me down in some form or another. At least those that always were close to me.”
“Must have been hard growing up for you,” came the short reply. She turned her attention back to the landscape beyond the wall. For a moment, the two of them shared the view of the setting sun. From beside her, she could hear his breathing, even and rhythmic to her ears. Sneaking a look at him, she noticed his face. It was evenly proportioned and not at all undesirable. He was actually very handsome in her eyes. She blushed and quickly looked away when he looked at her out of the corner of his eyes. He smiled lightly, “I guess we're just two of a kind aren't we?”
Shinobu looked back at him, “Why do you say that?”
He ran a hand through his hair, “We both look nice to the other, yet we're always at each other's throats.”
She chuckled, “I guess so.”
Once again, silence reigned as the two of them looked at the other. It wasn't until Shinobu spoke up that the silence was broken, “You know, I've led a hard life so far, too.”
The man beside her cocked an eyebrow, “How so?”
She turned her attention back to the landscape, “My mom and dad divorced a few years ago. They always fought over and about me. It got to be too much to bear, so I ran away and went to live at Hinata Inn.”
Ichiro frowned, “I wish I could have run away.”
Shinobu looked at him out of the corner of her eye, “Why didn't you?”
Turning around and leaning against the wall, he sighed, “Too many responsibilities. I took over the rule of my clan when I was thirteen.”
Looking at him with sadness, Shinobu plucked at the stone wall, “I'm sorry about your parents.”
“Don't be,” he started, “They died when I was three. I never really got the chance to know them. After they died, my older brother took over and raised me.”
Shinobu gingerly placed a hand on his arm, “It sounds like he was a nice person.”
Forcing back a tear, Ichiro smiled at the memory of his brother, “He was.”
Half anxious, half fearful, Shinobu swallowed the lump in her throat, “What happened to him?”
Just barely did she catch the flash of rage in his eyes, before he closed his eyes, “Your friend Takeru. He's what happened.”
She looked at him in confusion, “What does Takeru have to do with his death?”
No longer containing a growl, Ichiro spoke, “Because he's the one that killed him.”
Shinobu jumped a little at the revelation, “I'm sure he didn't mean to.”
He scoffed, “Yeah. I'm sure it's eating him up inside.”
After that, the air grew quite between them. Looking back past the wall, Shinobu cleared her throat, “What was his name?”
Ichiro's voice was low, “Hikiro.”
For a moment, Shinobu smiled, “It's a wonderful name.”
He nodded beside her, “He was a great man.”
Then, suddenly emboldened, she looked at Ichiro, “So are you.”
Taken aback by the comment, Ichiro fumbled for words. What came out was stuttered and slurred. Shinobu giggled at him, earning a mock look of anger, “And what's so funny?”
“Nothing,” she said, calming her laughter, “I have a question for you.”
He looked at her, a bit of a twinkle in his eyes, “What?”
“Do you think,” she began, a blush rising in her cheeks, “You could meet me here sometimes? Just to talk?”
For a brief moment, he thought about it. It had been good to talk to someone else close to his age. He could even see the beginnings of a good friend in her. He smiled, “Sure. It couldn't hurt.”
“Deal?” Shinobu said, sticking her hand out tentatively. Ichiro looked at it, then back at her face. He took the offered hand and shook it gently.
“Deal.”
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Hina watched the tow teenagers from a window in the building. At her side she could feel Naru's jealousy radiating from her. A smile crossed Hina's face, “Jealous, Naru?”
Having been caught, Naru sighed, “Yes, and I know I shouldn't be.”
The smile on Hina's face vanished. “You miss him, dear. I know how it feels to be parted from someone you love. But look on the bright side.”
Naru looked at Hina, “What?”
Hina slowly turned and began walking towards the exit, “At least he will come back soon.”
With that, Naru watched as her old friend and mentor left the room. Turning back towards the two teens, Naru smiled for a moment, (You two need some sleep. Don't stay up too late.)
She giggled as Shinobu and Ichiro both jumped at the sudden intrusion. Over her shoulder, she heard Ichiro yell, “Damn it, Naru! Stay out of my head!”
End of Chapter 12