Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Pride and Honor ❯ The Cook and the Inventor ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

==========================================================


A/N: Oh, what the hell... I'll just post this today. Anyway, THIS will definetly be the last one for now.


==========================================================< br>
Pride and Honor: Chapter 02 - The Cook and The Inventor

========================================================= =

Summary:

Urashima Sora's first night at the Hinata-sou nearly came down to a fight with Aoyama Motoko. Eventually the air is cleared between them and a shaky truce is declared, but why exactly is Motoko so angry with the ninja?

Urashima Keitaro is having problems of his own. Trying to deal with the grief of seeing Sora's dead eyes, and memories of a past life that he would rather forget is shaking his already unstable existence. It seems that the arrival of Sora is forcing a few of the residents to face their past head-on. But is that actually a good thing?

==========================================================< br>
Keitaro sighed and looked up from his book. On the roof, he could hear the sounds of Sora still training. The boy was alone now, since Motoko had left for school a few hours ago, along with Shinobu and Suu. Mitsune was out job-hunting and Naru had left to buy a new book.

Listening to Sora practice, he could just tell that he was making mistakes. Heavy footfalls on the roof that indicated loss of balance and sloppy footwork. Too little energy being put into the young boy's attacks. //This is ridiculous, Bandit...// he thought to himself. //I've had enough time to finish all of my chores AND study for two hours, and you still haven't moved onto hand-to-hand practice?//

Shaking his head, Keitaro tried to ignore it. //I'm no longer a fighter... I have nothing to teach him...// Keitaro sighed and tried to resume studying, but his heart wasn't into it. //He's doing this on purpose... his kata was perfect just an hour ago...// Thinking about his life these past two years, he could see how futile it all was. Making an adjustment to focus more on his studies and less on his training was largely unsuccessful. He just couldn't forget his childhood. Training with in the dojo, living with the other students... They were his family, the people of the dojo. He just couldn't help but think about them, and his old life. //I was good at it... but I'm no longer a warrior. I must get into Toudai as I promised all those years ago...// Keitaro stubbornly tried to refocus on his studies, but the sounds of Sora practicing on the roof beckoned him. //Curse you, Bandit... I had just forgotten about that life...//

Keitaro couldn't help it any longer and closed his book. //That's it, I'm coming up.// he thought as he fished out his workout clothes.

When Keitaro reached the flat roof Sora immediately stopped and bowed. "Good morning, otousan."

"Good AFTERNOON, Bandit," Keitaro said smirking slightly.

Sora looked around, thunderstruck. Sure enough the sun was high in the sky. Sora rubbed the back of his head. "Oops... I didn't notice what time it was."

Keitaro nodded, and crossed his arms. Taking the hint, Sora resumed his kata. Under the watchful eye of his father, Sora took great care in his motions, and executed it almost flawlessly. Keitaro nodded in approval. "Very good, slacker." Sora frowned slightly as he heard this. "Yeah, I was paying pretty close attention earlier." Sora's eyes widened, then he looked away. He felt like he just got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Keitaro came a bit closer to him. "So, you won't work hard unless, I'm here to push you huh?"

Sora shook his head. "No, that's not it--"

"Then why were you being so sloppy earlier. You planning on being that sloppy in a fight?" Keitaro asked.

"No sir," came the immediate reply.

Keitaro smiled. "I don't trust you," he said. "So I'm going to work you hard today." Sora tried hard to swallow his surprised yelp. Keitaro was a rather unforgiving master, and when said hard, he meant hard. Sora remembered the last time he had a hard workout. It involved running, sparring, more running, katas, more running, upside-down push-ups with weights attached to his ankles, more running... And it continued for a full week, with only two hours a day set aside for eating and sleeping. Sora shuddered at the memory, hoping that his father's duties as manager and studying kept him preoccupied. "Let's start off with a run..."

Sora groaned. //No such luck...//

======================================================== ==

Narusegawa Naru was greeted with a unfamiliar sight when she returned to the Hinata-sou. Keitaro and Sora were both on the flat roof, sparring hand-to-hand. The action was a bit too fast for her to follow, but Keitaro seemed to be winning. Naru watched with a mixture of respect and fear. //Keitaro... who are you?// she wondered.

Thinking back over the past few months, all she could see was a clumsy, perverted, but loving, idiot. Now on the roof, she could only see a cold, ruthless warrior as he pushed his son to the brink. His concentration was complete. No sign of the clumsiness that plagued him normally. None of his usual warmth was in his eyes. It was unnerving to say the least.

"Good," she heard Keitaro say as he helped Sora to his feet. "It's amazing how much stronger you've become in these past two years."

Smiling, Sora replied, "No, otousan. You've just become weaker. You haven't been outside much these past two years, have you?"

"Not really," Keitaro said, scratching the back of his head. "Maybe it's a combination of the two." He shrugged. "Looks like I'M the slacker, huh?" He spotted Naru watching them and he waved. "Hey, Naru-chan!" He leapt off the roof and landed right next to her. "You find what you were looking for?"

Hitting Keitaro over the head with her bag Naru sniffed. "You've gotten quite bold, haven't you? Who gave you permission to call me 'Naru-chan'?"

"Ow... I'm sorry, Narusegawa. I do not mean to offend," Keitaro replied, nursing the sore spot on his head.

Naru rolled her eyes. //The martial arts master suddenly can't handle a small bump on the head...// "So, are you boys having fun?" she said mockingly. "I wouldn't want to interfere with your game with something as trivial as STUDYING."

Sora groaned inaudibly from his spot on the roof. //Oh yeah. Tons of fun.//

"Sorta. I really was just waiting for you to return so you could help me with a problem if it isn't to much trouble..."

"Baka. Okay, I'll help, but you owe me for this," Naru sighed. //Well, not like I wouldn't enjoy a little company anyway.//

"Thank you, Narusegawa!" Keitaro said. Naru hit him again with her bag. "Ow! What was that for!?" He asked, rubbing his head.

"Don't call me 'Narusegawa'. I hate that." She said sternly.

"Then what do I call you?" Keitaro asked, puzzled.

"Why, 'Naru-chan' of course," She said wagging a finger at him playfully. "I just wanted you to ask for my permission first." Keitaro sweatdropped. //It's fun messing with his head...//

Turning back to the roof Keitaro called out, "I know you're laughing up there, Sora! You'd better continue your workout while Naru-chan and I are studying or I'm coming up!"

"Hai," came the quiet reply. The boy's good mood from earlier seemed to have worn off.

"And do it RIGHT, please. I don't think you want to have to go through another one of my 'specials'!" Keitaro said as he was going inside. Sora had already resumed his kata determined not to set his father off.

"I hope you don't plan on entering my room without taking a shower first, baka," Naru said as she sniffed the air.

==========================================================

Sora stood on the roof, still working his hand-to-hand katas. //Sheesh, otousan! You're crazy... You work me half to death today, and now you want me to continue? Oh well... I need to be in top shape anyway.//

Midway through, he spotted three girls approaching the inn wearing school uniforms. //Oh, they've returned.//

Bowing, Sora greeted the girls, though he only knew Motoko's name. "Good afternoon, ladies."

"Good afternoon, demon. You seem to be working quite hard," Motoko replied. "Have you taken a break?"

"Not yet," he replied, resuming his kata.

Motoko watched from the floor, noting his deep fatigue. "I see you've skipped both breakfast and lunch. Don't you think you should stop to eat?"

"Is that concern I'm hearing, Aoyama-san?" Sora asked as he grunted through his workout.

"I'm only curious. Suspicious even," Motoko replied evenly. "Will you be eating lunch with us?"

Sora continued his kata. "No," replied in mid-swing.

"Suit yourself," Motoko said dismissively. She strode up the stairs, Suu following at her heels.

Shinobu walked part way up they stairs, but stopped to call up to the fighter. "I could make you some food later if you want..."

"Don't worry," Sora replied. Blocking out the world around him.
==========================================================

*Later*

Coming out the shower, refreshed, Urashima Sora strode to his room wearing a towel. Keitaro had issued him a room so he didn't have to share with him. Opening the door, Sora quickly put on a pair of black pants with a black sleeveless shirt. After pulling on some black fingerless gloves, Sora grabbed his black bandana and went for the door.

As he walked down the hall, he tied his bandana on to his head and yawned. To his mild surprise, he found that his empty stomach led him to the kitchen. //Well, I haven't eaten in a while and something smells good...// Opening the door, he could see the youngest resident of the Hinata-sou at stove, humming softly to herself.

Intent on making himself a sandwich, Sora went straight for the fridge. He elected not to disturb the young girl, and made sure to move extra quietly.

Looking away from the stove, Shinobu saw somebody rooting through the fridge and gasped in surprise. Sora flinched at the sudden noise, and hastily pulled his head out. Looking around, the boy determined that he must be the source of the problem and apologized.

"I-it's no problem," Shinobu replied, shaking her head. I just didn't hear you come in."

Sora was already looking for something to eat though, and he merely grunted a reply.

"Oh, t-that's right. You haven't eaten anything today," Shinobu continued nervously. Sora didn't answer. "I should have lunch ready soon..."

"I won't be around for lunch," Sora replied from the fridge.

"Oh..." Shinobu replied, a little hurt. //Is he afraid to eat my cooking? That's probably why he skipped breakfast too...// "Well, I think it's going to be quite good."

"I know," Sora replied.

Shinobu looked the boy, confusion clearly evident on her face. "So..." She began, tentatively.

"I have somewhere to go later," Sora shrugged.

"Um... pardon my asking, but where?" Shinobu asked.

"Nowhere," came the reply from the outside the kitchen. Entering, Keitaro regarded his son coolly. "He will stay right here for lunch."

"Hai, otousan," Sora said as he bowed.

Now in parent mode, Keitaro began to lecture. "You should be ashamed of yourself, Bandit. Shinobu-chan here works hard on her meals. The least you can do is eat, and appreciate her work." Looking at his son critically, Keitaro pressed his attack. "And what did I tell you about that bandana? You look like a pirate... and would it kill you to wear something other than black?"

Sora ignored him, and turned to the girl. "Gomen nasai, I don't mean to offend... uh..." Sora blushed and looked at the floor. He bowed to Shinobu. "Sorry, but... uh... what is your name?"

"Oops, I never actually told you my name," Shinobu said. "I am Maehara Shinobu."

"Gomen nasai, Maehara-san," Sora said as he finally looking away from the ground. "I do not mean to offend."

"Don't worry about it, Urashima-kun," Shinobu said, turning back to her cooking.

"You may call me 'Bandit' if it pleases you," Sora said as he left the kitchen.

After Sora left, Keitaro stood and watched Shinobu for a moment. //Hm... could it work...?// he thought to himself. //Well, I'll give it a shot...// "Shinobu-chan, can you do me a favor?" he asked.

"Sure, sempai, what is it?" Shinobu smiled, turning to face Keitaro.

"Well, this might be a rather large burden on you, so I wouldn't hold it against you if you refuse, but, do you think you could make sure Bandit eats properly?" Keitaro asked. "He is not used to eating on a regular pattern and it is rather difficult to force him to adjust to anything."

"But you just made him agree to eat lunch this afternoon," Shinobu pointed out. "Can't you do that everyday?"

"Well, not exactly... You see, Bandit is a ninja. And being a ninja such as he is, he tends to be really good at sneaking out of the house without me noticing. Which also means that he could run away forever if he is unhappy with his situation here," Keitaro explained. "He's already done it once."

"I see. So forcing him into things will only make him run away," Shinobu said, nodding. "But why me?"

"Come on, Shinobu-chan, it was a no-brainer. A pretty girl like you asking him? You'll have Bandit eating out of your hand," Keitaro said smiling. //I hope...//

Shinobu blushed crimson. //Sempai think I'm pretty...// "Well, okay, sempai. I'll make sure he eats."

"Thanks, Shinobu-chan," Keitaro replied.

========================================================= =

Sora was now on the couch catching up on some much need rest. //Oh man... I can't believe I'm stuck here. Why'd otousan have to do that?// sniffing in the air, his mood brightened a bit. //Well, the food's good at least...//

Sora closed his eyes and drifted off. //No use worrying about it. As soon as I find Koji, I'll be leaving anyway.// *thump* *thump* *THUMP* *THUMP* //Huh? What the hell is that?// Sora opened his eyes, and took a look around. //It's probably nothing...// he thought as he closed his eyes again.

Suddenly, a mecha tama came crashing through the wall with a girl on it's back. Sora's eyes shot open in surprise and he dove out of the way as it destroyed the couch. Finally, it stopped, staring straight at Sora. "Hi!" the rider chirped cheerfully. "Wanna play with me for a bit?"

"Not really," Sora replied, eyeing the huge turtle. //Holy...// He surreptitiously picked his Bo off the ground.

"Come on," Suu whined.

"No."

"You're mean!" Suu pouted. "I don't like you! Mecha Tama, attack!" The machine lurched forward, heading straight for the small boy. Bandit stood with the bo at his side, unmoving. Then with a flick of his wrist, he launched a dart out of the end of the hollow staff. It struck the machine right in between the head and neck, penetrating the light armor there and damaging the internal circuitry.

The robot went ballistic, tossing its head around. Suu struggled to hold on. "What's wrong? What did you do to my Tama?"

"You should find a better place for the main computer," Sora said evenly. "You must have put it in the head, which means all commands must be transferred from the computer to the rest of the body by way of the neck. The armor in that area of the body is too thin, though, making it an easy and rather obvious target."

Suu screamed as she was thrown from the robot. Sora sprung into action and caught the girl before she hit the ground. The mecha tama then exited the room creating yet another hole in the wall. After the dust cleared Sora's mind began to exit his fighting mode. "Um... where's that thing going? I thought I fried its main computer..."

"You did," Suu said, smiling. "And you were right about most of that stuff you said earlier." She then moved around Sora so she was on his back. //What's with this girl?// he thought as he shifted to support her weight. "Wow, you're really smart! But Suu-chan is smarter! You know why?" She asked. Sora merely shook his head and walked over to the hole the beast created when leaving.

"Well, I thought that Mecha Tama might take damage to its neck area, destroying the passageway for data. Of course, there is a secondary computer that issues the body a command to destroy all nearby targets," Suu explained.

"How is that possible? There is no main computer to seek out enemies," Sora pointed out.

"Uh-uh," Suu chirped, "The main computer is responsible for the logic end of operation, mainly identifying enemies and planning out the best course of action for bringing them down. Actual commands are handled by the individual parts themselves."

Sora nodded his head, "So, let me get this straight. There's a killer robot out in the town, with no way of discerning friend from foe, literally surrounded by innocent people."

"Yup! You really are smart!" Suu cried happily.

Sora rolled his eyes. //This is definitely gonna be one of those days...// "Hold on tight," he told Suu as he sprinted through the hole.

"Wow, you're really fast too," Suu said as trees blurred all around them. "I've changed my mind. I like you."

//Good to hear...// Sora thought sarcastically. "How fast can that thing move?"

"Well," Suu said putting a finger to her lip, "with the ion boosters I installed last week, it should max out at about sixty miles per hour..." Sora groaned audibly. "Hey, don't worry though. Look," she said gesturing to the scenery ahead of them. "You see how the path it left behind veers around? It's wasting time doing zigzags. With your speed, you should be able to catch up to it if you continue in a straight line."

"Great," Sora mumbled. //More running. Where does this girl get the parts for these things, anyway? And how can someone act so ditzy, but be so smart at the same time?// "Just make sure you hold on tight." //Aoyama-san is going to kill me for this.//

==========================================================

Back at the Hinata-sou, the residents were inspecting the destruction of the living room. There were two large holes, one appeared to be burnt and still sizzling, the other was merely rammed through. There was a trail of upturned wood leading to where the couch usually sat. //Thank god there isn't any blood...// Keitaro thought. Keitaro sighed and rose from his kneeling position on the ground. "Yup, Naru-chan, you're right. I think this is definitely the work of Suu's mecha tama."

Motoko was livid with anger. "And we can't find either one of them. I swear, if that demon harms one hair on Suu-chan's head, I'll kill him," she growled.

"Relax, Motoko-chan. I doubt Bandit would go anywhere with Suu, and if he did, he will protect her with his life," Keitaro soothed.

Mitsune smiled, "Yup, those two didn't waste any time running away to get married." Naru laughed, but swallowed it when Motoko glared at both of them.

"Don't joke about that," she spat, "The fact that she went ANYWHERE with that demon is bad enough."

"Um... well, I'm sure they'll be home soon," Shinobu said.

"They'd better be," Motoko said as she went to her room.

==========================================================
It was nighttime now and the two kids walked side-by-side looking for the lost mecha tama. "Oh... where'd it go? I can't believe I lost it..."

"You can't trace it?" Sora asked.

"No..." Suu sniffed. Then she immediately brightened as if she wasn't on the verge of tears earlier. "Hey! Do you hear that?"

"Banging," Sora replied, "About a hundred feet east of here."

"Right! Now we can stop it and go home," She said brightly, as she hopped onto Sora's back. "Giddy up!"

Sora was too caught up in the chase to feel ridiculous at the moment. He scaled up the side of a building and looked around. Sure enough, he spotted the mecha tama repeatedly beating its head against a wall. //How does the machine justify THAT as being logical?// Sora shook his head and leapt down after it.

"Oh, I hope your not planning on fighting it with that stick," Suu said as he landed and quietly approached his target.

"I have darts as well," Sora pointed out.

"I know, but Suu-chan made the armor extra thick in the torso and the shell. I don't think, you'll be able to break through with those," Suu replied.

//Damn it... I can use the 'Dark Fire'... Kami, I hope it doesn't come down to that...// Sora turned his head slightly so he could look at the girl. "So what do you propose?"

"Easy," Suu smiled as she pulled the knot on Sora's bandana tighter. "You need to get me close enough so I can shut it off manually."

//'Easy,' she says.// Sora thought, sarcastically. "How do I go about doing that?"

"You can run really fast. I think you can keep up with mecha tama," Suu explained.

//Hm... sixty miles an hour? Seems like the only way though.// "Okay, hold on tight..." Sora tensed and was about to launch himself at the beast when Suu stopped him. "What is it?"

"Remember," Suu wagged a finger at him, "Suu-chan CAN'T work while holding on for dear life. You need to disable it for at least ten seconds, Okay?"

"Hai, ten seconds," Sora nodded as he leapt out into the open.

==========================================================
Aoyama Motoko sat on the flat roof, meditating. Keitaro, Naru and Shinobu were a few feet away, watching for anyone approaching and chatting quietly amongst themselves.

//Funny,// Naru thought to herself, //this is the second night in a row that we spent waiting for someone to return to the Hinata-sou. Do you think that perhaps Suu will bring her daughter home?// the absurdity of the thought made Naru giggle softly, but she quickly sobered. //I hope Suu-chan is alright...//

===================================================== =====

Sora ran along side the metallic monster, trying hard to keep pace. //Good thing this girl is light...// he thought. He veered in a bit closer, trying to close the gap in between them. As he moved in, the machine gained altitude and floated to the other side of him. He retried the maneuver, but the same thing happened again.

"That won't work," Suu said, keeping her face away from the wind. "its sensors can tell when a target is too close and it automatically keeps its distance."

//Automatically... That's it! Its reactions are preprogrammed, so if presented with the same problem, it will always come up with the same solution.// Sora thought. Sora moved in again, just as before, the machine lifted up and passed right over top of him. //Got it.// he thought as he spied the beast directly above him. With a flick of the wrist, Sora sent a dart straight through the left booster. Unable to retain control in the air, the mecha tama crashed into the ground, skidding to a stop. Still rushing the downed machine, Sora leapt high into the air, executing a forward flip and coming down hard with his staff, crushing the other booster.

Suu wasted no time, jumping off Sora's back and landing on the mecha tama and opening up a small hatch on its back. Pulling a set of tools seemingly out of thin air, she set to work. Sora watched utterly confused and shock at the girl's skill as she tinkered with the machine. As promised, it was offline in exactly ten seconds.

"Okay," she said cutely, "We can go home now."

==========================================================
"Look, there they are!" Shinobu said pointing out into the distance. Sure enough, Suu and Sora were coming over the hill with the mecha tama.

Naru stood up and waved. "Hey," she called out, "Where the hell have you, been?"

Sora shrugged as Suu ran ahead. //Great,// he thought, //she's leaving me to drag this thing by myself now.//

When they reached the inn, Sora was greeted with a sword to his throat. Sora calmly looked up at his assailant. "Konbanwa, Aoyama-san," he replied evenly. "I'd bow, but I fear I might lose my head in the process."

"Your fears are well founded, demon," Motoko growled in reply. "Do you mind telling me where you went with Suu-chan?"

Sora was about to shrug, but thought better of it. "Her crazy robot went on a rampage. We went to stop it." Sora explained. "Look, I brought her back without a nick or a scratch on her. Shouldn't I get some credit here?"

"Not really," She replied, taking the sword away from his throat. "But it's late, and we have school tomorrow." Turning her back on Sora, Motoko went back towards the inn. "Come on, Suu-chan, time for bed."

"'Kay," Suu said as she started after her. She then stopped and turned to Sora. "Let's play again sometime. My name is Koalla Suu, but you can call me 'Suu-chan'."

Sora bowed, "Goodnight, Suu-chan. You can call me 'Bandit' if you wish." Looking up, he saw the girls on the roof heading back inside. Keitaro leapt off the roof and landed right next to Sora.

"So, I see you've met Suu-chan," Keitaro said grinning.

Sora groaned, "Don't joke, otousan." He yawned then started to head for the inn. "Is it just me, or does nobody care that she is creating weapons of mass destruction?"

Putting his arm around the small boy, Keitaro chuckled. "It's best not to think about it." Turning slightly to look at the boy, Keitaro frowned. "I thought I told you to take off that bandana..."

====================================================== ====

A/N: Okay, that's it. I need to get to work now. I'll post more if someone leaves a review. Now I'd better start writing.

--Stizzo Out