Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Pride and Honor ❯ Dark Fire: Repair ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

============================================================= ==========

A/N: Well, Mediaminer has got a new look to it. Interesting... I guess they're trying to clean up the interface which was kinda junky, but it worked okay... Well, I like this look better anyway.

Okay, now on to business. I do not own Love Hina. If I said I did I'm pretty sure some Japanese soldiers would zip line into my house and shove a rifle up my ass. (Damn it, guys, World War II is over!)

=========================================================== == ==========

Pride and Honor: Chapter 06 - Dark Fire ~ Repair

=========================================================== == ==========

Summary:

Urashima Sora has found his brother, Koji, and is preparing to finish him off and leave Tokyo for good. Meanwhile, the residents of the Hinata-sou are trying to move on after the incident two weeks ago.

============================================================= == ========

Urashima Sora stood outside of Aoyama Motoko's room nervously. Keitaro hadn't been happy when he returned home about a half hour ago. He was waiting in the lobby, drinking some hot chocolate.

"Do you know what time it is?" Keitaro had asked Sora icily as he came through the door. Then his eyes went to the figure behind him and nearly began shouting, but stopped himself and merely went to his room to sleep.

Keitaro had been on edge for the past two weeks, and with the normal pressures of studying and running an inn he was near the breaking point. //I have to try and help him, or he'll go crazy...// Sora thought to himself. That was why he was now standing in front of Motoko's room, weighing the pros and cons of knocking. It was about 6:00 a.m. so he knew the samurai girl would be up, so there were no worries from that end. He just had absolutely no clue what to say.

In fact, Sora didn't really why he felt obligated to help anybody at the inn. He knew he'd either be dead in a week or leaving for Kyoto, so none of this would really affect him. //This isn't my problem...//

But he couldn't help but feel guilty. If he had never arrived the girls of the Hinata would have never known anything about the 'Dark Fire'. Painful memories would be allowed to fade. And good memories would have been allowed to be left intact, not horribly marred like Sora had done with Jeros' memory. His eyes narrowed. //The bastard deserves it... but I used it to hurt someone that really wasn't involved. I'm being so stupid! Why did I make a new enemy when I could've just left her alone?//

Sora sighed and walked away from her door. //I'll talk to her later...// he thought, yawning. //I need to sleep...//

======================================================= == ===============

Maehara Shinobu yawned as she exited her room, stretching her small body out. //Okay, I should start breakfast and then I need to collect the laundry... what?// Opening an eye, she saw a decidedly tired looking Sora walking past her. He stopped, bowed, and grumbled "Ohayo, Maehara-san."

Shinobu mumbled a reply, and began walking towards the kitchen. It seemed that Sora was heading the same direction, because he continued to amble on right in front of her. Finally, they reached the living room and Sora unceremoniously plopped himself down onto the couch and fell asleep.

Shinobu stared at the boy for a second, slightly confused. //Why doesn't he just sleep in his room?// she thought. She didn't want to talk to the boy, but her curiosity began to get the better of her. Just as she began to speak, another person entered the room.

"So, there you are. I've been wondering where you got to," an unfamiliar voice said. Shinobu's eye's widened and she spun around quickly. The speaker was a green-haired woman of about 19 years. She was carrying a bag, full of clothes Shinobu assumed. She had a slightly annoyed look on her face. "Do you always disappear like that?"

"I'm a ninja, what'd you expect?" Sora groaned with an arm draped over his eyes. "What do you want?"

"Well, I don't know where your room is," She said. "And I don't cherish the thought of wandering into other peoples rooms."

"Third floor, all the way down on the left," Sora yawned. "Or maybe it's on the right. I can't remember right now."

"Umm... my room is on the right..." Shinobu piped up.

"It's on the left," Sora turned over. "Good night, or whatever."

Nobody moved for a moment as Shinobu nervously regarded the stranger in front of her. The woman looked down at Sora with expectancy. It quickly turned into irritation as it became apparent that the boy was actually asleep. "Bandit!" she snapped.

The boy turned over slightly. "What?" he asked.

"Where are your manners? Introduce me to your friend," she rolled her eyes. "I'm sure your mother taught you better."

"She isn't my friend," Sora replied easily.

"Well, I guess not," the woman replied as Shinobu narrowed her eyes and turned to leave. "Wait, don't go," she called out to the younger girl. She moved in front of Shinobu, blocking her path. Bowing quickly, she introduced herself. "I am Fujita Minako, a member of the Kato ninja."

Shinobu bowed back uneasily, "I'm Maehara Shinobu." //Great, another ninja...// "Um... I-I need to cook breakfast now..." she stammered as she hastily exited the room.

Minako sweatdropped slightly as she watched the door close. She turned to Sora. "She's always like that," he said, answering her unspoken question.

Minako nodded in understanding and left the room. "Fine, have a nice nap." Sora silently thanked all things divine and promptly passed out. He estimated it was about 6:45 a.m.

============================================================= == =========

Safely inside the kitchen Shinobu allowed the information she had just received sink in. There was a girl ninja staying at the Hinata-sou, and she seemed to know Sora. //Like one wasn't enough. Why is she here anyway? Their must be a purpose...//

Starting the stove, Shinobu also began to think about what Sora had said earlier. //So I'm not his friend... humph! Boys!// She rolled her eyes. //I know we're not on friendly terms, but he shouldn't be happy about it!//

She began to gather her materials, opening and closing shelves a bit rougher than necessary. //What's his problem, anyway? If he doesn't want to be here so badly, why not leave? We don't want him here...//

//Is he evil, or is it his power taking control? He has the kanji "evil" etched into his hand and is very cold most of the time, but he was also very nice to me.// Shinobu hands were on auto-pilot as she began to prepare the meal. //I didn't think he was so just two weeks ago... I even liked him.// Shinobu chuckled. //He didn't seem like a hardened warrior when he was helping me with cooking, or just talking.//

Shinobu sighed shaking her stiff fingers out. //But he tried to KILL Motoko-sempai...// Shaking her head, she resumed her work. //Who is the real Urashima Sora?//

========================================================== == ============

At 7:00 a.m. Konno Mitsune and Narusegawa Naru entered the living room to find a sleeping boy on the couch. Narrowing her eyes slightly, Mitsune approached him quietly. Her opinion of the boy was quite low right now, to say the least. //Ever since he's arrived, everyone at the inn has been rather depressed. I don't even know HOW he managed to make Suu-chan sad...// Mitsune's general mood tends to revolved around the moods of her fellow housemates. Of course she will always put on a happy face and joke around, but the simple truth was that when ever her friends were unhappy, she was unhappy as well. And right now, all of her friends were more than unhappy. Very unhappy, in fact.

Naru, on the other hand wasn't depressed, but angry. //That ungrateful little bastard!// she thought bitterly. //I can't believe he would actually attack his father and Motoko-chan after we allowed him to stay here! Keitaro had been nice enough to take care of him after his parents died... I think... Wait, that actually doesn't make much sense. Why didn't Sora come here with Keitaro if he was his son?// Naru shook herself. //Forget it, I don't care anymore. I just want this kid out of the inn and as far away as possible!//

Of course, forcefully evicting the Sora was unlikely. He was obviously a lot stronger than all of them, and more resourceful than he looked. After all, he had managed to trick them all and get Motoko all by herself. Well, almost.

Standing over the prone boy, Mitsune leaned close to his face, pausing for a moment to make sure that he was actually asleep. Then she drew in a deep breath...

And screamed at the top of her lungs.

Sora sprung straight up, leaping high into the air and literally attaching himself to the ceiling, energy from his hands and feet keeping him in place. His eyes searched the room frantically. When he saw Mitsune standing next to the couch with Naru a few feet away giggling, it became painfully obvious what was happening.

"Oh, did we startle you?" Naru said as Mitsune laughed. "Gomen Nasai, I couldn't help myself. I saw the UGLIEST little bug and just started screaming..."

Allowing the energy to fizzle away, Sora dropped to the floor, landing easily on his feet. His normally blank features were decidedly tired- looking, and he was blushing slightly. //They'll pay for that...// He bowed politely, though, making sure to wipe any anger or embarrassment from his face. "Ohayo, Konno-san," said softly. Then he bowed to Naru. "Ohayo, Narusegawa-san. Is there something you ladies need?"

"Yes, actually. Your father wants you to polish the second and third floors since you didn't do them yesterday," Naru replied.

"Did he happen to mention anywhere in those instructions when I'm supposed to sleep?" Sora asked, yawning.

"No."

Sora lowered his eyes and sighed. "Figures," he mumbled.

"I'm not the person you should be complaining to," Naru shrugged. "If you have something to say, you should just talk to Keitaro, but he wasn't in a very good mood when I saw him..."

Naru could see the boy wince slightly when he heard this. "No, that's okay... I'll get to work."

"Hm..." Mitsune hummed when Sora left the room, sleepily dragging his feet. "I bet that kid just got back here. And with the way he trains, I bet he's VERY tired."

Naru's eyes widened slightly as she began to pick up on what her friend was insinuating. "Yup, he's definitely exhausted. And did you see the way he winced when I mentioned his father being angry."

"I think our little ninja is, dare I say, AFRAID of his dad. And I think I have a plan..."

The two friends smiled at each other as they left the room.

============================================================ == ==========

//Ugh... I'm tired...// Sora yawned as he went up to the second floor, bucket and rags in hand. //Well, if I finish this quickly, I can find a place to hide and get back to sleep...//

As he spotted Aoyama Motoko exiting her room with Koalla Suu. Sora yawned as he bowed to them. "Ohayo, ladies."

"Ohayo, Bandit," Suu responded uncertainly.

"Ohayo, Urashima-kun," Motoko replied, bowing respectfully.

This almost knocked Sora over. His eyes widened slightly as he stood on the tips of his toes, attempting to get a better look at the despondent warrior. "Wait a minute, what did you just call me?"

"That is what your name is, ne? Or would you prefer that I call you 'Bandit' like most of the other residents?" Motoko asked.

Sora immediately put a hand to her forehead. "Have you, by any chance, been using a powerful narcotic in your latest attempt to kill yourself?"

"No, I am no longer trying to commit seppuku and I would not resort to drugs even if I was," Motoko replied evenly.

//THIS is awkward... why is she acting like this? Her condition is getting odder and odder as time goes on. I need to do something about her.// Sora shrugged, "Call me what you like. But can I ask you something?"

"What is it?" Motoko asked, puzzled.

"Since you're such a wuss now, can I call you 'Momo-chan'?" Motoko's eye's widened slightly and Suu gasped, edging a bit closer to Motoko and grasped her hand in an effort to calm her.

Motoko quickly steel herself and forced herself to speak calmly. "Why do you ask that, Urashima-kun?"

"Well, it just seems a little disrespectful to the Aoyama family line to pin its name to a defeated shell such as yourself, don't you agree?" Sora turned to leave, but watched the samurai out of the corner of his eye. He saw her eye twitch and a vein bulge in her forehead.

//She won't be let me leave like that. The fight will hop right back in her soon...// Sora thought triumphantly, as he turned to leave. "Call me what you like..." he heard her reply from behind him.

Sora stopped dead, his eyes widening again. "So, you really are pathetic," Sora said coldly, turning his head away. "I remember hearing otousan say that he trains on the roof to relieve stress, and with the amount that's been put on him recently I bet he'll be there all day. He might even use his trance techniques..." Then he walked away, leaving the samurai to mull over what he just said.

Motoko could feel Suu latch on to her back as she began walking again. //He wants Urashima to teach me the trance... But why, so I'll kill him? Is he trying to cheer me up?// Motoko frowned and shook her head. //No, he probably has something up his sleeve. I don't know what it is yet, but I'll need to stay sharp. For now, I'll play his game...//

"Um... Motoko-chan, are you listening to me?" Suu's voice broke through Motoko's train of thought. "Are you all right?"

"Uh... fine! What is it you were saying?" Motoko asked.

"Well..." Suu began, smiling, "I was just wondering if I could call you 'Momo-chan' too!"

Motoko face-faulted, sighing tiredly. "Of course, Suu-chan," she mumbled. //THIS is embarrassing...//

================================================ == ======================

"Okay, I think I'm finally done," Sora sighed. He was kneeling on the floor buffing the floor. Doing both floors took at least two and a half hours by his estimate. The sun had risen, its golden light shining off the floor.

Throwing the rag into the bucket, Sora sat down, leaning back on his hands and took a deep breath. Looking to his left he saw three birds on the banister, chirping happily as they moved around and flapped their wings. It seemed that either the tenants of the Hinata-sou had left, or they were merely avoiding him. He assumed it was the latter, but that didn't really bother him.

//How long has it been since I've had a home?// Sora thought to himself. Then Sora snorted bitterly. //This isn't my home... The residents hate me, and I don't really blame them. I just hope that I can finish this job and return to Kyoto...//

//Kyoto... my old friends... I wonder if they are still alive? And if they are, do they remember me?// Sora looked to the sky, as if it could possibly provide him an answer. He knew that the few friends he made in the Auron clan were either dead or trying to kill him, but it would but their were a few others...

//Forget it, I'm better off not knowing. I can't go look for them... its best if they forget I ever existed...// Sora looked back at the birds, suddenly feeling a great urge to be alone. "Get out of here!" he spat angrily. "GO!"

The birds flew off quickly, chirping loudly. //That's it... Run! Leave me alone! Be afraid! ...everyone else is...// Sora crossed his legs and propped his elbows on his knees. Sighing again he started to draw small circles on the ground. //Okaasan... I don't think I can do it anymore... I can't continue fighting like this! I want to die...//

~~

"Be strong, Sora..."

"Okaasan?"

"..."

&qu ot;...Okaasan...?"

"..."

"OKAASAN!!!" ;

"...But... where do I belong?"

~~

//I don't have any strength left!// Sora hit the floor in frustration. //I can't live among other human beings, especially people as nice as the girls here...// He looked at his left hand and reluctantly channelled energy through it, making the kanji 'evil' appear on it clearly. //This symbol assures that.//

"So, you can't even stand the company of birds I see..." A female voice rang out, he recongnized it as Minako, and was surprised to see her sitting right next to him. "You always were a loner," she said smiling.

//I can't believe I didn't notice her. I must be more tired than I thought.// "How do you know that?" he asked, shortly.

Minako shrugged, "I read the full psychological report on you before coming out here. It said that you had very few friends and rarely even spoke to THEM." Minako looked at stood up. "It also said that you rarely speak or show expressions on your face..."

"Bullshit. You might have read that report, but you must have known me at some point," Sora replied. Then he leaned in a bit closer, studying the girl's face carefully.

Minako leaned away, "A-Uhh... what are you doing, little Bandit?"

Realization hit right then and there. //I only know a few people that call me that...// Sora looked away, a small smile pulling at the corner of his mouth. "Now I remember. How's your little sister?"

Minako shook her head. "Oneechan? She's a little upset, actually. She found out that you've been alive all this time and you never tried to contact her."

"She's always a little upset, ne? Well, she'll get over it," Sora rolled his eyes. Then he rose, dusting himself off. "Do me a favor, please? When this mission is over can you tell her I'm dead?"

"She actually lives around here, you know? You can tell her that yourself," Minako replied. Sora gave her a level look, but she merely smiled back at him. "Oh yeah," Minako said, rising as well, "I want you to introduce me to your friends."

"They aren't my friends. They don't like demons," Sora said as he walked off.

Minako stood alone in the hallway, watching the boy's departing back. Then she shook her head. "You don't like killing, do you?"

"I'm not sure anymore," Sora replied. Then he disappeared down the stairs.

Minako sighed as she started heading for the flat roof. "Poor kid..." she muttered.

======================================================== == ==============

Urashima Keitaro stood on the flat roof slowly working through his kata. He hadn't gotten much sleep, but he didn't really feel tired. In fact, he was rather anxious at the moment. //Okay, let see if I remember this one... Punch, punch, kick, turn, punch, backwards kick, forward knee, pivot, high kick...// "GOOD MORNING!!!" //...huh?//

Keitaro let out a surprised "oof!" as he took a jump kick to the face. Suu completed her attack, flipped, and landed easily. She held her arms up and posed as if an Olympic gymnast. Keitaro smiled and went back to his kata. "Hello there, Suu-chan. What can I do for you?"

"Actually, Momo-chan wants to ask something of you!" Suu replied happily.

//Momo-chan...?// Keitaro was about to ask, but he noted Motoko's eye twitching and decided against it. "Ohayo, Motoko-chan, what can I do for you? And why are you blushing...?"

Motoko's eye began twitching a bit more and Keitaro was sure he heard growling. "Don't get the wrong idea, Urashima," she said, warningly. //Ugh, I CAN'T believe I'm asking this perverted baka for help! Just what have I sunk to!?//

Motoko took a deep breath and forced her eye to stop twitching. //I must be polite about this. I need some help, even if it must come from this disgusting man...// Motoko looked back up at the manager, now watching her curiously. She could see concern etched on his face and that she had his complete attention. Motoko looked away, feeling slightly guilty. //He doesn't deserve my critism. He's been so nice to me, even with all of my unpleasantness. He may be perverted, but he's definetly one of the nicest people I've ever met. And he IS a master fighter... Maybe learning from him won't be so bad...//

"I... uh... I..." Motoko stammered. //I've never been good at asking for help...// She took another deep breath and let it all come out. "Iwantyoutoteachmehowtoutulizethetrance!"

Keitaro arched an eyebrow, looking at the samurai girl staring at him earnestly. The silence last for a few minutes, even Suu remained quiet, anxious to hear what the reply would be. Finally Keitaro scrached the back of his head and smiled. "What?" he said.

Both girls face-faulted, falling over onto the wooden floor. Motoko rose quickly, grabbing Keitaro by the collar. "Please teach me your fighting style! I must become stronger!"

Keitaro stood there, amazed. Here was a girl who had spent the last two weeks sulking and trying to kill herself, and this morning she was asking him to train her. //But what brought about this change? Could it be Sora?// Keitaro then remembered the nickname Suu had used earlier. //Momo- chan... that must've been Sora's work. He must have also suggested to her that she come see me...// "It will be rather different from your other training..."

"How so?" Motoko asked.

"Well, your body is already in very good shape. All you really need to do is learn the trance and even that shouldn't take very long..."

"Yay!" Suu cheered, happily.

Motoko bowed politely. "Thank you very much, Urashima," she said.

"Don't mention it."

========================================================== ==============

A/N: Okay, looks like I'm almost finished.

--Stizzo Out