Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Winter Rose ❯ Sixth Petal: A Different Shade of Blue ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Winter Rose

Sixth Petal: A Different Shade of Blue

Love Hina is owned by Ken Akamatsu. All copyrights and legal papers are belonging to him ^_^.

I just recently got to know Love Hina. I read the first manga volume, watched a few episodes, and gathered as much info as I can from the net. If I make tons of mistakes about the girls and Keitaro, please forgive them and please tell me the problems in a very constructive way…

====================================

Chapter 4 Summary: Vincent got up early and started his first day at Hinata Apartments with somewhat of a good note. However, Vincent wonders just exactly why Motoko is hell-bent on kicking him out and killing him at the slightest move he makes, not necessarily in that order.

Sixth Petal: A Different Shade of Blue

October 16th, Saturday

Vincent got up heavily at around 10:00 in the morning. He then sat up and glanced at his room. How long has it been? Hmm… about more than two months, I think…

In the past two months, he fixed his room. It now had a small twin-sized bed at the left corner, which was separated from the rest of the room by a small wooden shelf. In the shelf were some books he used for study, and at the top stood five small picture frames: one housed his graduation picture; one was the only picture he had of his mother; One was taken when he was four, together with his sister; One was with his dad when he got his honors award when he was still at junior high; and the last one was taken when he was about fourteen or fifteen years old, and he was with a girl his age. The girl had chin long black hair, gray eyes, and a very pleasing smile. Among the five, Vincent seemed to love this picture the most.

An L-shaped study table was at the right corner near the door, from which an assortment of papers was arranged neatly on the top of one corner, and the black suitcase lay open at the other side, revealing a laptop and its hardware parts. By the window were a small coffee table and two chairs that were at two opposite sides of the table.

Life at Toudai wasn't so difficult either. Aside from Keitaro being tossed around like a rag doll whenever there was a break between classes (Keitaro and Naru were in their first year, while he was in second year, so they took different classes), life was very much like Harvard. Vincent would even say that life here was easier than in Harvard and Boston.

Vincent fell back into his bed. Still, it seems like I'm still… different…

I'm like… an alien of some sort…

Like someone from another planet…

Or maybe from another dimension…

Still, the girls, save for that Motoko…

It's like I'm a good friend to them…or something like that…

I told them I'd stay for only a few weeks, but…

I guess I just like their company…yeah, that's probably it…

Company? Being with somebody?

There are so many things I just don't understand…

People are supposed to be loners, right?

If you let others into your life, you'll just get hurt when they leave you…

Still, why do I feel this way?

Everything's… I don't understand…

He got up, put on some faded jeans and another plain white shirt, and headed down.

I guess, I'll just stop thinking for a bit and get some fresh air…

He first headed to the kitchen, where he found Shinobu piling up the dishes in the kitchen sink.

"Oh, you're up late, Urashima-san… Please just let me finish these and I'll be preparing you something…"

"Don't mind it, Miss Maehara. Maybe I'll just grab some cornflakes and get out of here…" Vincent answered, grabbing the box from the cabinet. Hmm, she always blushes like that whenever I address her… "By the way, where is everyone?"

"Oh, they were just leaving with Seta-san to check out his latest discoveries at the museum. Well, I passed it up because I needed to do a lot of things here, like the laundry… and, oh, I think Motoko-sempai didn't leave with them. She said she was busy with something." Shinobu said, never losing concentration on her dishwashing.

Vincent felt himself snicker a bit. He's met the man Shinobu was talking about just a few days ago. Seta Noriyasu, probably one good teacher, but they should ban his driver's license. And I wonder how he could bleed that much every time without dying of blood loss…

And seems like that maniacal samurai girl will never leave the house as long as I'm around. What does she think I am, some kind of serial killer? Tch, people are so hard to understand sometimes…

"Is there anything wrong, Urashima-san?" Shinobu was looking at him earnestly, particularly intrigued by the look on his face.

"It's nothing… I was just trying to remember something. Anyway, do you mind if I do the dishes for you? I mean, with all the work you'll be doing and all."

Shinobu smiled. "Thanks, Urashima-san… I guess I'll get started on the laundry right away…"

"Good. Now, if there's anything you need, just tell me what it is, okay?"

"Thank you, Urashima-san." Shinobu smiled at him once again before leaving the kitchen area.

Hmm… People are meant to be alone, Vincent thought. But, still, people like those as young and as innocent as she will still need others to be there for her

I guess that's it…

When you're young, you're weak.

Weak?

Was that why I wasn't able to do anything back then…?

………

…Stop thinking… just don't think…

===================

After washing the dishes, Vincent then went up and got into the deck area. He thought of another way passing by another dull weekend aside from drinking cappuccino from his room. So he got out for some fresh air for a change.

He looked around for a good place, and decided to sit himself on one of the sides by the door. He decided not to allow his mind to tackle any kind of problem at that time, so he could just sit there and watch the clouds pass him by.

After a while, his mind began drifting away, and his eyes became a bit heavy.

Spent last night doing those damn reports…

I guess… some sleep will do me good…

Vincent then let his rested against the wall and let his consciousness drift away.

=======================

Motoko Aoyama went climbing up the wooden stairs to the deck. It was almost time for her daily kendo practice session. Even though she looked calm, she was a bit frustrated and irritated inside. And one of the main reasons for that was Keitaro's cousin.

The nerve of that Urashima, staying in an all-girls' dorm like this!? I tried to warn the girls about letting him stay. But they don't even care… Hmph, it's up to me to , set things right around here…

She then continued thinking about what course of action she would do in order to take Vincent out. Upon arriving at the door that leads to the deck, she decided that her best plan of attack was to confront him directly. She was thinking about how to exactly execute it when she stepped out into the deck and found that something was not right.

Looking around, she saw Vincent leaning motionless against one of the walls. His hair dangled limply up front covering most parts of his face, and is left arm rested on his lap, while his right one dangled useless on his side.

Motoko bent down and sat next to him for a closer look, suspecting that something might have gone wrong that he was lying motionless there. He might be a loafer, but he's still human, she thought. She let out a sigh of relief when she discovered that he was just sleeping. She began to get up when Vincent turned his head upward a bit, revealing the part of his face that was hidden a while back.

Motoko found herself looking straight at the sleeping face of the man she has loathed for the past two months. She then felt herself unable to take her eyes away from his face.

He… looks very different from this angle…

He looks so… calm… so innocent…

I…

I… what's happening to me…?

This sensation…

I… I only felt it once…

It was… with….

With Urashima…

What is this I'm feeling…?

Motoko was brought back to earth when she saw Vincent stirring up and partially opening up his eyes.

"A… Anne…"

"Anne?" Motoko asked

Vincent's eyes focused and he regained full consciousness. From the look on his face, Motoko was sure he was surprised by her form, sitting there and looking intently at him. He gazed back at her, as if his deep blue eyes were looking into her soul.

Motoko felt herself blush. I… there' something about him…

His eyes…

His eyes are…

"M-Miss Aoyama…is there something wrong?"

Again, Motoko felt herself being pulled back sharply into reality.

"Huh… N… N-no… nothing's wrong… I just…" She tried to muster up enough courage to confront him, but she kept on losing concentration when every time she would take even a glance at his eyes. Finally, she decided to be content with a reply. "I-I was just here to practice, that's all…"

"Oh, I understand then. I'm done taking a nap anyway… I guess I'll just be leaving…" He then motioned to get up from his seating position. Motoko did, too.

CREAAK……

CREAAK……

SNAAP!!!

One of the deck's floorboards snapped in two when Vincent stepped on it. He tripped as his right foot got caught in the hole made by the broken floorboard.

Motoko was standing right next to him when it happened, and she was dragged down along with him when he was trying to hold on to something to keep him from falling.

Motoko found herself on top of Vincent's body, pinning him to the ground.

For a period of time, there was silence.

It seemed like even the very winds themselves have stopped.

Both faces were flushed, as they stayed in that state for what seemed like forever…

Motoko's brain was screaming at her to get up and deliver Swift Justiceâ"¢ to Urashima, who she thinks has finally revealed his true colors. But, a soft but powerful voice from deeper within her was holding her back.

… … … I…

… I…

"Excuse me… but… do you mind… uh… standing up…?"

"I-I… I…" Motoko then withdrew from that state and sat up, cheeks red, facing the other way.

"I… I guess I'll just go and see if Miss Maehara needs help." She heard Vincent say. "I'll just see you later at dinner, Miss Aoyama."

Vincent then exited through the door and closing it behind him as he left. He could see that Vincent's face was also flushed as he walked past her.

======================

It was around four in the afternoon, and Vincent found himself lying in his bed, hands behind his head, gazing at the blank ceiling.

"Anne…" he whispered unconsciously. He then closed his eyes and turned sideways to his left.

He had been dreaming of the black-haired girl in the picture when Motoko found him sleeping on the deck.

"Hey! You look like you're new here… do you want me to show you around?"

"Well, uh… yeah… sure…"

"Alright, let's go. Oh, by the way, I'm Anne… what's your name…?"

"…Vincent…"

"It's nice to meet you, Vincent! I hope we can be good friends…"

He dreamt of `Anne' smiling at him, and then, he woke up. He realized he wasn't looking at Anne, but at Motoko Aoyama. Still, he didn't understand why Motoko didn't threaten or attack him that time like she normally does, especially when he put her in that awkward situation.

I guess she's not all that…

Still…

When I woke up, and I regained consciousness, I thought I've seen Anne again…

Come to think of it, Motoko does look a lot like Anne… only that she was a lot more serious…

Ack! What am I thinking!? There's no way that can happen… especially when it came to that samurai girl…

I…

Why am I thinking of her anyway?

It's not my life…

And I don't know anything about her at all… except that she's like a deranged madwoman with something sharp that's always on one of her shoulders…

So I guess it's best I leave it at that…

Maybe what happened was even just a dream…

==============================

Motoko Aoyama was still at the deck area, sitting there in silent meditation. She had been practicing her kata swings a while ago, though she finds her will and whole heart were not in her training. She was trying to clear out everything from inside her, but every time she would, she would be haunted by a pair of deep blue eyes.

Why… Motoko thought. Why can't I get him off my mind…?

And… why do I fell that way when I come close to him…?

Motoko recalled the last time she felt something like that for anybody.

It was… Urashima… Keitaro…

She remembered it very well…

But… Keitaro is…

Keitaro is…

That was…. why I…

Motoko was lost in a deep sea of thought and was getting confused when everything went blank. In place of her many deep thoughts were another pair of Vincent's deep blue eyes, seeming to look at the windows of her soul with their gaze.

She then remembered looking at Vincent's face… Seeing no sign of threat or malice…

I… I don't understand…

Am I… jumping to conclusions too fast?

I…

I…

I… I must first clear the air between me and Urashima…

And…

I guess I'll go to the hot springs for a while…

She then stood up from her meditation, left the deck, and hoped she would not bump into either Keitaro or Vincent at that time…

For at that time, she was very unsure of how to deal with them…

=============================

Ei, that's another chapter for you guys…

I hope I'm not moving too slow on the story…

Or maybe moving too fast that non one understands it…

And to VScorpio, thanks a lot, man. You gave me a lot of inspiration to continue this one. And, uh, Vincent is based on a guy I thought of… and a guy I knew…

Till next chapter, peace out.

========================

Love Hina © Ken Akamatsu