Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Winter Rose ❯ Ninth Petal: Blossom ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Winter Rose

Ninth Petal: Blossom

Love Hina is owned by Ken Akamatsu. All copyrights and legal papers are belonging to him ^_^.

It's been a while, guys and gals! I've taken a small (big understatement...) break to refresh my frazzled nerves, and to play FF Tactics Advance (which, I think, is quite good), ZOE: The Second Runner (for the 10th run, trying to break my record completion time), and Megaman Zero 2 (which is friggin' enjoyable but as hard and as impossible as hell freezing over). I needed some ideas and motivation to make the last few chapters perfect and all that. As such, this will end very soon. But hey, don't cry! I promise that after this one, Vincent will make another appearance, though it will be another fanfic!

=========================

Chapter 7 Summary: Vincent tries to tell Motoko how he feels. However, he was never good at expressing himself. However, he was able to lessen the pressure when Motoko asked him to teach her how to dance.

Ninth Petal: Blossom

November 15th, Wednesday Evening

Vincent was again seated on one of the cold decks of Hinata Apartments. He was once again gazing at the stars of the dark night. The girls and Keitaro were below, having a party for Shinobu's birthday, which means he had the place to himself for the night.

It had been quite some time since he moved to Japan and to Hinata Hot Springs, and frankly, he was getting very much used to the environment. Sure, he was still ushering Keitaro to toughen up, but other than that, he felt an odd sense of belonging that he had not felt for even once in his lifetime. It felt like his true home.

He continued gazing at the city and the bay. He loved the view from there during the night. The shimmering lights of the city in the distance, flickering and dancing wildly from afar. The moon was beautiful tonight, shaded in a pale blue as it cast a mild glow over the sea, and to the land. It was a certain tranquility that was just there, though people find it rarely. /Kind of like how I feel when I see her/... the back of his mind added. .

/I wonder if anyone else is looking at life this way tonight. I guess... only those who are like me can see this. People who are alone.../

Then, the door opened up to reveal Shinobu's pale, though smiling face.

"Oh, Miss Maehara. Is there a problem? Why aren't you with the others below?" He greeted the young girl, who was carrying a covered tray in her arms.

"I... uh, Urashima-san, I brought you something to eat." Shinobu said as she handed the tray out to him. "I couldn't find you below, so I thought I'd find you here..."

"Thanks a lot for worrying, but you should know I can take care of myself." Vincent said, opening up the tray. Inside was some sukiyaki, a bowl of rice, some stir-fried vegetables, and a slice of strawberry shortcake. "You know, Miss Maehara, you'd make a perfect wife and mom someday." Vincent said as he ate.

Shinobu turned bright red and lowered her head. She then spoke in a small voice.

"Urashima-san... do you hate us...?"

Vincent looked up to her in confusion. "Pardon?"

"I mean, you always try to avoid us and all that. I never saw you smile, even for once... When we try to talk to you, you just say a few sentences and walk away. You always stay in your room. And when we have parties like this... you..." Shinobu paused for a bit before continuing. "... you just stay here until we all sleep. Have we... done something you don't like?"

Vincent sighed as he thought of what he was to say to her. "Miss Maehara, I'm not angry or anything. I just like it being alone. It's my choice."

"Your...choice...?"

"Yes. It's my choice to be alone and not talk to you guys. It doesn't necessarily mean that I'm angry. For me, it's just a way of passing by another day."

"Then... you don't hate us?"

"If it makes you happy, yes, I don't hate you, or any of the others."

"But, why? Why do you choose to be alone?"

Vincent looked at her in surprise. /No one has ever thought of asking me that before.../

/Why did I... When did I chose to be alone...?/

/I remember now.../

"Miss Maehara, I just need time to think. A lot has happened to me during the past few years. I just want to have some time when I can try to redirect my focus on a new goal in life. So, I'm just okay. Don't worry. Once I'm done with this, I promise you I'll hang out with you guys more often."

"Promise?"

"Yes, I promise."

"Thank you... Urashima-san."

"Well, glad I could help." Vincent said. "Oh, and before I forget, here." He handed her a small red box wrapped in a ribbons and tied with a bow on top. "Happy Birthday."

Shinobu took the gift in her frail little arms and opened it with shaking fingers. She pulled out a jewelry box, like the one she saw back at the gift shop about four weeks ago.

"Urashima-san...!"

"Yes, it's the one..." Vincent replied, smiling serenely.

"But... how did..."

"Let's just say a person who has a certain bond with another person senses something more than just physical means." Vincent said, his calm face bringing an aura of tranquility. "Open it."

She opened the little box. A beautiful melody filled the air, which drowned out Shinobu's gasp when she saw what was inside. It was a pair of small earrings, which glistened in the dim light that came from the house's interior. Shinobu felt tears come out of her eyes.

"Why? Don't you like them?" Vincent asked.

"No... it's not that, Urashima-san..." Shinobu said with a teary smile. "It's that... I'm very happy... thank you..." She wiped the tears off her eyes, took out the earrings, and closed the box, instantly stopping the melody. She then began to put on the earrings, and asked Vincent how she looked.

"You look perfect." Vincent couldn't think of any other word to describe her at that time. "Now, you should be going, Miss Maehara. You don't want to spoil your party, eh?"

"Yes... but I would like it if you would come and join us..."

"I'd like to, but I need to work on something tonight." Vincent said.

"I understand... well, goodnight, Urashima-san..."

"G'night, Miss Maehara."

And Shinobu left the deck with a smile of pure bliss playing on her lips.

Once again, Vincent was alone, and one with the night. He closed his eyes and listened closely to the sounds forgotten by the busy world. The breeze blowing from the sea, as soft as a whisper, and as soothing as a person in love. The distant sounds of the busy city, of cars and buses and horns and many voices... they were hushed and drowned out by the purity of the evening calm. These are things rarely noticed by the world.

/And mostly noticed by people like me.../

/But... sometimes, it's getting very dull.../

/To just lie here and not be able to talk to anyone.../

/I need someone... a person.../

/Someone I can share my secrets with.../

/Someone with whom I can share the calmness of this breeze with.../

*It's not too late...* A voice inside him said. *You can still find that `one' you are looking for.*

/But, I'm afraid.../

*Of rejection?*

/No... it's not that... I'm afraid of something else.../

*Then, you will never be happy... as long as you are afraid of the risk just as long as fear holds you in its tight grip, you can never move on...*

/I guess.../

/That's right.../

/I understand now.../

/Man lives for others.../

/Man was not made to be alone.../

/I was so stupid.../

/But, I will never be again./

/I will strive never to be alone again.../

=======================

The following two days were quite uneventful, as most professors were just handing out some vacation work for the students. As Vincent dragged his weary and sleepy form to Hinata Apartments that Friday, he decided to pay his aunt a visit. So, instead of climbing up the stone steps, he went to Haruka' teashop to relax.

"Well, if it isn't Hiro-kun." Haruka said calmly when she saw her nephew, lighting a fresh stick of cigarette. "What brings you here?"

"Is it wrong to say I'm just here to say hi?" Vincent commented as a greeting. "This seat taken?" He asked, pointing to a seat opposite where a passed-out Mutsumi Otohime was seated, her face down on the table.

"Nah, just sit there if you want, kiddo."

"Yeah, right."

"So, what can I get you?"

"You still got some of that French Espresso thing that has the Surgeon General's warning?"

"Of course. I think only you can stomach that brew. Even I can't take any of that one."

"Thanks. "

"Don't mention it." Haruka said, disappearing behind the kitchen.

While waiting, Vincent whipped up his laptop and began to type his homework furiously. He did this so that he could have some free time during the weekends. That way, he could keep his promise to Shinobu that he could be with them more.

He stopped a bit when he heard something stirring near him. Mutsumi woke up from her unconsciousness and looked up smiling obliviously at the person seated in front of him.

"Oh, konbanwa, Vincent-kun. Ara, Ara, I think I've slept a bit too long. Oh, I see you're working on something. Have I been bothering you?" she asked.

"Not at all. I've just arrived. I just found it a bit nice to have some company around me for a change." Vincent replied, saving his work and shutting down his laptop. "Besides, I think that'll be enough for me right now."

"Whatever you say..." Mutsumi said. "So, how do you like it at Hinata Sou?"

"Huh?"

"I mean, with Kei-kun and the girls and all that."

"Okay, I guess... they're a lot better than the tenants at the place where I used to be at. At least the girls don't smell like Mexican fast food chains."

Mutsumi laughed softly. "Ara, Ara Vincent-kun. I perceive you like it here?"

"Sort of." Vincent said. "There are some things different here."

"Like what?"

"Like that flying turtle on your head." Vincent said as Tama-chan hovered over and dropped softly on Mutsumi's head.

"Myuh?"

"Ah, Tama-chan here says it likes your company." Mutsumi said softly.

"I'm thrilled."

At that moment, Haruka stepped out of the kitchen, carrying a large mug of some rather strong-smelling coffee. "Here you are, Hiro-kun. Hope you don't die of too much caffeine."

"Thanks." Vincent said, receiving the mug with both hands. He then took a small sip. At once, he felt a large shock that took all his sleepiness away. "Whew, works all the time."

"Oh, Vincent-kun, Harika-san, I need to go now. I need to meet up with Kei-kun and Naru-chan. I think they want me to join them during their study periods."

"Just make sure you don't pass out in the middle of the steps, okay?" Vincent said.

"Well, I'll see you later." Haruka added as she took over Mutsumi's seat opposite of Vincent. "So, Hiro-kun, is there any problem?"

"Well, not really..." Vincent said, taking a mighty swig from his cup. "Everything's fine. I just... It's just... I still feel a bit... different."

"You're a guy, they're girls. There's a lot of difference in that."

"Not THAT kind of difference. I think, that I just don't belong here."

"Of course you belong here. You just don't realize it." Haruka said, tipping some of the ash of her cigar on the ashtray laid out in front of her. "And, since you do nothing but lock yourself up in that little fortress of yours."

"Right. Tell me something I don't know, okay? Anyway, I'm making an effort to try and be more open to them."

"How's the progress?"

"Not too much. I mean, I'm just starting out."

"I see. Well, just don't try too hard. You'll just hurt yourself in the process."

"Okay. And, uh, Haruka..."

"Yeah?"

"There's another thing... I need to ask about..." Vincent said, his face beginning to turn red. "I waited for Miss Otohime to leave so I can talk about this with you alone. It's about me..."

"What? You got some serious, incurable sickness no one knows, and you want me to be the first to know about it?"

Vincent sweatdropped a bit before he sighed and answered. "You watch too much TV for your age, Aunt Haruka.... You should be taking care of lilies and other flowers like the other old aunts... JUST KIDDING!!!" He said as he held up both his arms to shield his head from his aunt's fist. "... you can be a bit over sometimes... anyway, it's no sickness. I... I think... I'm... I... I sort of like... one of the girls at the inn..." Vincent had a bit of problem trying to find the words to make it less stressful on his part. He expected Haruka to stand up and tell him to lay off on them or something like that.

He didin't count on Haruka just sitting there, blowing puffs of smoke lazily before telling him, "So, you and Keitaro ARE cousins. Mind telling me the one you're going after?"

"Long as you keep it a secret."

"My lips are sealed."

"It's Motoko..."

If Haruka was surprised, she sure had a good way of hiding it. "So, it's Motoko, eh? Tell you what, kid, I'll bid good luck to you. You have better chances of making a pack of wolves your domestic pets than getting that one to like you."

"I didn't come here for probability."

"I know. Well, so, it's Motoko, eh? I've got a simple solution.

"What?"

"Just tell it straight to her face."

"Well, that kind of hard..."

"Nothing's easy in this world, son." Haruka said, throwing away the burned-out cigar and taking a new one from her pack. "If you want something, you've got to go, get up and get it. Otherwise, you won't go far if you always pass opportunities by. So, just go out there an tell her how you feel, before she goes out with someone else."

"Is that possible?" Vincent said, finishing off the last drops of the espresso.

The edge of Haruka's mouth let out a small smile. "Yes. Now, time's a wasting. You run along and get her."

"Thanks a lot, Haruka." he said, geting up and leaving.

"What are family for?"

"Annoyance and reason for ridiculous amounts of spending during family reunions."

"You are your father's son." Haruka said as Vincent left the teahouse.

=========================================

It was about 6:30 in the afternoon when Vincent decided to take a small break from his work. He turned off his laptop and, stretched out a bit, and proceeded to the deck.

On his way there, he bumped into Sara(who recently returned after some father-daughter quality time), who was playing tag with Su.

"OOOMPH!!!"

"Oh, sorry... I didn't see you coming... Are you OK?"

Su then touched Sara's blonde head and said, "Tag, you're it!"

"OOOHHH!!! No fair! Time out! I was knocked down by this rhinoceros!!!"

Vincent sweatdropped a bit before saying something. "Sorry... so, instead of that, why don't I be it, eh?"

"Really!?"

"Hope you guys run fast." Vincent said, smiling darkly. "I'll give you a one-two-ten head start. And it starts... one..."

"Huh?" Su said, wondering.

"Two..."

"RUN!!!" Sara said, dashing madly.

"Ten..." Vincent was a former member of the Track and Field team, and in no time, he was going afterthem around the Hinata.

"No fair! <huff! huff!> You said one to ten!!!" Sara said as he closed in on her.

"I said one-two-ten. I didn't say I'd count them in the way normal way." Vincent smiled as he dashed in on her.

============================================

Later that night, Vincent went to kitchen to have dinner and rest a bit. He had been playing tag with the two energetic young blondes for about one or two hours, and although he managed to catch them, he was surprised to see they knew all the secret passages at the Hinata. /Only me and Keitaro once knew those.../

"Miss Maehara, you need some help with that?"

Shinobu turned to him and said, "Oh, Urashima-san, I didn't know you were there... can you get me the celery from the ref?"

"Sure." Vincent went to the refrigerator and gave her what she wanted. "Those blonde friends of yours never get tired of running around, huh?"

"Oh, you mean Su and Sara? Yeah, they do have a lot of fun doing that."

"They sure knocked some wind out of me... so, uh, can you just call me when dinner is ready?"

"Why?"

"I want to eat together with you guys." Vincent replied. "It's getting kind of lonely eating alone late at night, you know."

"Urashima-san..."

"Yeah, yeah, I know. It's not like me, b ut hey, I just want to have some time woth you guys."

"Oh... I see... I'll just call you then." Shinobu said with her trademark sweet smile.

"Yeah, well, see ya in a few..."

Vincent left the kitchen and began to climb up the stairs.

As he neared his room, he stopped to see that it's right across the hall from Motoko's room. He then had an urge to knock and talk to her.

/Why not?/ He thought. /There nothing to lose../.

He then raised his shaking hand and then knocked on the door. "M-Miss Aoyama, are you there? Can I come inside?"

"Oh... Vincent-kun? Is that you? Please, do feel free to come in." a voice said from inside.

Vincent then slid open the door and into Motoko's room. Inside, he saw her in the middle of the room in silent meditation. "Oh, is this a bad time? I'll come back later..."

"No, it's okay." she said, opening her eyes.

"So, um... nice environment you have here..." Vincent told her as he sat in front of her.

"You should see Su's room... it's a tropical rainforest."

Vincent laughed a bit before he noticed Motoko looking surprised at him. "What? Is there something wrong?"

"No, nothing's wrong..." Motoko said, her face a bit red. "I... just... I just found it new to see you smile, that's all..."

"Oh is that how seldom I smile?" Vincent teased. "I think you like it when I smile, eh?" He wasn't thinking straight when he said this, and he wasn't sure why, but it felt good.

Motoko smiled and blushed a bit before clenched her fist. She then aimed and punched Vincent softly in his left cheek. "Say that again, and I'll make sure the next one will knock you unconscious."

"Yeah, okay..." Vincent grinned. "So, um... can we be... friends?"

"What?"

"Well, I heard from a very reliable source..."

"Haruka-san."

"Yes, Haruka-san." Vincent smiled. "That you don't have any guy friends. If it's okay with you," He said, extending out his right hand. "If I be your first one, aside from my cousin, I mean."

"Me and your cousin, friends? You got to be kidding!" Motoko said, through her red face.

"Well, deny it all you want, but... friends?"

"Alright, friends." Motoko reached out both her hands and clasped Vincent's. As she did, Vincent clasped his left hand. It then went that both of them held both hands.

It was a bit quiet. They both looked at each other, but, for the first time, they didn't feel embarrassment, or anxiousness, or shyness. They just gazed there in each other's eyes, feeling somewhat safe and comfortable.

Each had feelings for each other, but were afraid to tell it to the other in fear of rejection. But, that thought melted away.

Vincent gazed at her beautiful face, and held her soft arms tighter. "Motoko... I've been waiting for some time to say this, and... I'm never good at this... so..."

"Yes... Vincent-kun...?" Motoko felt her cheeks go red and feel warm again. But she felt a different kind of warmth. It wasn't like when she was aroused, or when she was embarrassed. It was very different. It was a beautiful feeling. Something she hasn't felt before. /Love?/

/I hope... I wish... I could tell him.../

"Um... Motoko...chan..." Vincent began. "I... I ... you see... I have these... um, feeling for you... and, um... I... I..."

He was unable to complete her statement, as Kitsune barged through the door. "Hey, there Motoko-chan! I just came to by to tell ya that dinner's ready. And... hey..." Kitsune's smile turned into her foxy attitude. "What do we have here? Looks like you two are up to something, eh?"

Motoko nbd Vincent then realized that they were still holding each other's hands. Each let go of them, faced the other way, and blushed hotly. "Kitsune-san! I-It's not what you think!" Motoko said.

"Sure it is." Kitsune said, still grinning. "It's not like I walked right in when you two lovebirds are having alittle quality time. Don't worry, I'll be going now..."

And Kitsune left the room while laughing fit to burst.

"So... um... I'll see you later...?"

"Yes, please... please see me here..."

"Okay..."

Vincent got up and left, feeling a bit lighter now that he had told how he feels about her.

===============================

Ah, there you go... another chapter. R and R, pls!

=====================

Till next chapter, peace out.

========================

Love Hina © Ken Akamatsu