Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Winter Rose ❯ Twelfth Petal: Broken ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Winter Rose

Twelfth Petal: Broken

Love Hina is owned by Ken Akamatsu. All copyrights and legal papers are belonging to him ^_^.

====================================

Twelfth Petal: Broken

"Oneesan!!! Oneesaaaan!!! NO!!! UNHAND HER DEMON!!!"

Motoko was running after an anonymous man with Tsuruko, her sister in his grasp. He was moving quite slowly, maybe because of the person he was carrying. Motoko herself did not feel herself as a young woman. Instead, she felt more nimble like a child who was trained to fight. After some time, he stops, and Motoko, seeing this her chance to strike, raises her sword and bellows with all her will, "Hiken Zankuusen!"

The blast of ki energy flew out like a sharp wind, striking its target with precision. However, this didn't seem to hurt the person she was attacking. In fact, it didn't even seem to phase him. He cast down Tsuruko and began to move towards Motoko.

"Sssssooo, what do we have here?" the man hissed as he neared her. As he approached, he seemed to grow taller, and his features began to become less human. Claws grew out of his hand, his hair grew long, and fangs pointed out of his mouth. His skin grew hard scales, and his back hardened into a shell. He had become a turtle demon. Motoko's legs gave way, and she was shaking all over, courage fleeing her body, and fear settling in. "I like little girlsss like you... you think you're ssso ssstrong... yet... you're ssshaking and fearing for your very life. Don't worry, little girl... It won't hurt... I promissse..."

"EEEEYAAAAHHH!!!" Motoko screamed, shielding her face with her arms from certain approaching doom. She was afraid. Her mind screamed for help, urging her to jump away. But, she was paralyzed, unable to move. When she heard the demon's steps no more, she looked up to see that it had stopped moving, with a look of surprise in its face. It let out a small hiss, and then it was split in half. Above the demon's carcass was her sister, blade in hand.

"Oneesan!!!" Motoko said jubilantly, getting to her feet. "I'm so glad you're safe..."

Tsuruko just stood there, her hair obscuring her face. She did not move. She just stood there, with her head glancing down on her sister. "Pathetic."

"Oneesan?"

"Pathetic, Motoko." Tsuruko repeated. "I expected better from you. It seems that I was expecting too much. You are too weak."

"Wha... Oneesan... What's happening to you...?" Motoko asked sheepishly. She began to shake uncontrollably again.

"You disappoint me... No matter... it seems you need more training." There was no wind, but Tsuruko's hair began to rise as if blown by a strong one. She raised her eyes and glared at Motoko. It wasn't her sister's eyes. It was a pair of cold, inhuman eyes, like one an evil serpent has. "I shall see to it that you are disciplined..." She began to transform, the way the man before her turned into a demon. Tsuruko's features began to become like that of a venomous snake, scales growing all over her skin, and rows venomous fangs sprouting from her mouth. "Yesss... now... little sssissster... I shall teach you how to be ssstrong!!!"

Motoko began to run. She wanted to get away. But, no matter how fast she ran, her sister's voice rang in her head. "You ssshall be disciplined, little sssissster... there isss no essscape!"

"No... No... NOOOOO!!!" Motoko covered her ears to drown out the voice. But, she still heard the voice, and with it, many voices in high-pitched laughter.

"Motoko-chan? Motoko-chan, wake up! Are you okay?" Another voice, a man's voice, began to say firmly. Motoko opens her eyes, and sees Vincent's worried face. They were still in the train home from Tokyo to Hinata Hot Springs.

"Just a dream..." She murmured. "Just a dream..."

"Motoko-chan...?" Vincent began.

"It's nothing... just a dream..." Motoko assured him. "I'm okay now..."

"You're sure? You attracted a lot of the others here because you were screaming a bit." Vincent said in a sort of understatement, for many of the others who were with them in the train were looking at her as if a demon possessed her.

"Yes... I'm okay... sorry if I worried you..." Motoko wasn't looking at him.

The train then came to a halt, as the engineer said "Hinata Hot Springs, Hinata Hot Springs."

"Come on, Hiro-san. This is our stop." She got up and headed towards the exit.

When they got out, Vincent began to invite her to sit down for a moment. When she refused, he said, "But, Motoko-chan... you look tired... maybe we should rest before..."

"I'm fine, Hiro-san." Motoko said firmly and with a tone of finality. "Thank you for worrying, but I'm okay."

"Well... if you say so..."

=================================

"You sure you're okay?" Vincent asked as they walked towards Hinata Sou. To him, Motoko still looked shaken.

"Mm-hmm... I'm just... it's just... Nothing important. I just had a bad dream, that's all." Motoko answered him.

"I see... but... you can always tell me if there's a problem." He answered her. The worried look on his face never died out ever since she opened her eyes on the train.

"Yes... I suppose so."

"Look... I know that you can take care of yourself, but I can't help but worry." Vincent said. "I mean, what do you think will happen to me if you just get hit by a car or shot down by some hoodlum that's been drugged or so?"

The cold snow had melted, giving way to spring's greens to sprout and grow. Pretty soon, the cherry blossoms in Hinata will be in full bloom. It seemed like that for Vincent, to find a small bud underneath cold layers of winter. For about some time now, it became Vincent's custom to wait for her whenever she would have a meeting Kendo Club, and they would go home together. She would then let him carry her things, and often they would stop over some places to grab a bite, or maybe do some window shopping (or maybe some not-so-window shopping), but she would never let him tough her katana. When he asked her about it, she simply replied, "You'll have to earn the right to hold it."

"Get real, Urashima!" Motoko replied. "Like some random jerk with absolutely no skill can overpower me."

"I know. I'm just worried about it, okay? It's just that... It's just that... I don't want anything to happen to you." Vincent lowered his head to a nod. "I mean, I don't know what will happen to me if I lose you too..."

"Yes, I know, but... you should trust me, okay?" Motoko said. "You know that I'm strong... and I won't let things as simple as that get to me."

"You mean that?" Vincent asked her optimistically.

"Of course, you idiot." Motoko teased. "And you know that as much as I do."

"If you say so..." Vincent said with a smile. The look of worry that was playing on his face faded as the dew when the sun rises in the morning.

Motoko loved that smile. It was very different ever since that Christmas. It didn't have any trace of sorrow, of depression, of fragility of character, or of uncertainty. It was a very confident smile, one that emanated both bliss and strength. In fact, Vincent had seemed to have gone a sort of metamorphosis ever since then. He began to be with them more often(especially around her), he always helped them with a smile, and he stopped locking himself up in his room brooding over his problems and whatever he was thinking about at the moment.

"Okay, we're here now..." Vincent said as they finished traversing Hinata Sou's stone steps.

"Do you wish to share a cup of tea later in the evening? It can soothe your weary mind." Motoko asked.

"Why not?" Vincent answered. He then opened the door for her, got inside and called out if Keitaro was there.

"Oh, Hiro-san, Motoko-chan, please come here in the living room." Keitaro's voice called out to them.

Vincent greeted the others, whom he found them all seated in the living room. Tama-chan, the Hinata's pet turtle and familiar, was there, playing with a swanlike bird with somewhat golden feathers. "What's this, Kei? A general meeting?"

`Not really..." Keitaro replied. "We've got a visitor..."

"Oh... I see... who..." Vincent scanned the area and found the odd one out instantly. And he was surprised at what he saw.

The visitor that Kei was talking about took the form of a woman who seemed to be in her late twenties. She had beautiful, long black hair, and a skin tone like porcelain. She was wearing a white gi and red hakama. Vincent thought he was having a vision of an older Motoko.

/She must be related to her.../

/Beautiful.../

/Argh... what am I thinking!?/

"Hey, what happened, kid?" the woman's replay made Vincent's mind jump. "Cat got your tongue?"

"Oh... um... hello..." Vincent said sheepishly. "I... I was just thinking about something. My name is Hiroaki Urashima." Vincent had begun to once again use his real name, though he is very uneasy about people calling him by it. "Could I please know what your name is? Um.. Miss..."

The woman giggled a bit and said, "You're quite a polite one, Urashima. And, sorry to disappoint you, but I'm already married. Anyway, my name is..."

"T-T-TSURUKO!!!" Motoko's half-screamed voice blurted out from behind Vincent. When Vincent turned to her, she looked very worried, and very afraid.

/So... they are related...?/

"Um... Motoko-chan... Tsuruko...?" Vincent asked.

/Tsuruko...?/

/Her sister...?/

"Ah, Motoko-chan, how long has it been? I suppose you're well?" Tsuruko said with a playful tone. Motoko's mouth was in an open gap, and a meaningless sound escaped her mouth.

"How rude. Is that a way to greet your sister?" Tsuruko said.

Motoko took a little while before she could make out what to say. "I... I-I... Gomen... Oneesan... I didn't know you were coming today..." She said with a bow.

"Ah.. I see.." Tsuruko said, her smile playing across her lips. Vincent was having a strange feeling that there is something definitely wrong in that situation.

"O-Oneesan... why are you here...?" Motoko began to ask.

"Hmm... yes... Motoko, I thought that my reason for being here would be quite clear to you." Tsuruko said. "It is time, little sister. It is time for you to inherit the School of Shinmei Ryu. It is time for you to return to Kyoto."

Vincent's mind was slowly trying to digest what Tsuruko's words meant.

/Shinmei School?/

/Inherit?/

/Kyoto...?/

/Does that mean.../

/Motoko will.../

/No... it can't be.../

/Can it?/

Vincent's worst-case scenario seemed to be what is happening. Motoko was going to leave him. Or, at least she was going to leave him, but she didn't like the idea too. He could read it in her face as if she was an open book.

"No..." Motoko muttered softly.

Tsuruko's smile faded away. "No? What do you mean by no?"

"O-Oneesan... I... I can't..." Motoko said. She didn't want to go back now, an she didn't want to go back anytime soon. But she knew Tsuruko would not let her go, unless...

"Oneesan... I'm... engaged."

/WHAT!?/ Vincent's mind screamed. He could not believe that Motoko was engaged to someone. If that was true, then what of her feelings for him? The case would be, that she was playing a very nasty lie on him... or to her sister.

"Engaged?" Tsuruko emphasized on the word. Vincent had a feeling that such a word sounded ludicrous about Motoko. And he knew why.

"Hai. Oneesan... I shall be married soon..." Motoko said, her head in a sort of bow. "I cannot..."

"Wakarimashita..." Tsuruko said in a doubtful voice. "Then... can I know who it is you shall marry?"

"H-Hai... Oneesan... it is... Hiroaki Urashima."

Vincent's eyes widened at this statement. He knew how folly this was, but he decided to keep shut and play along. He knew that this was for Motoko's good. But, deep inside him he was feeling rather happy about this statement, no matter how ridiculous it was. It meant how much Motoko cared about him.

"Hiroaki?" Tsuruko repeated. She looked at Vincent, as if she was looking deep within his soul. "You mean, you are engaged to my sister?"

Vincent had a quick urge to say "no", because first of all, he hated lying. He had never tried to even fabricate lies to attack his stepmother or stepsister, and he didn't want to start now. But, Motoko needed him. Yes, it would seem to be a good `white lie'. He gathered up all his resolve and said, "Yes... Tsuruko-san, it's true... I... love Motoko... and... I wish to have her hand in marriage."

/That should do it.../ Vincent said. Tsuruko still had her piercing eyes on him, as if she already knew the truth. Vincent could not look at her in the eye, as he had told her a lie, a big, grave lie. Vincent prayed for something to break the silence.

"Eh? Hiro-san, you didn't mention... yrrgh..." Keitaro was about to continue his sentence when Su jumped on his back, taking him down. "Marriage? Is that delicious?"

"Well, not really Su. It's sort of hard for you to understand now, kiddo. But, as of now, just know it's not edible." Kitsune answered.

"What's `edible'?"

"Mmmm... I see... I sense you do like her..." Tsuruko said. "But I'm afraid I don't believe you."

"I..." Vincent said.

"But, oneesan.. You've heard him.." Motoko interupted.

"Yes... but word pf mouth is the easiest way to deceive a person. However, I want concrete proof that you are indeed a couple."

"And that would be...?" Motoko awaited for the answer with great unease.

"Hiroaki, if you really love my sister, then you shall kiss her... now."

"Wh-what?" Vincent stammered. He had no problem with kissing Motoko, something so sweet that they both shared... while there was the two of them. But, here... in front of all of these people?

"Hiro-san..." Motoko said softly.

/This... This is for Motoko.../ Vincent thought. /For her... I will do anything./

He slowly approached Motoko, and time seemed to slow down. The air was getting heavy, as the others who were in the room were also dying to see his reaction.

"Motoko-chan..." Vincent had his back turned to the crowd when he held Motoko's face and lowered his head to it. He came closer... and closer... until...

Motoko wasn't looking at him. Kitsune and Su were winking at her as they circled above her sister's head, showing Motoko that they were planning to cover her sister's eyes. She loved her Hiro-san, but now didn't seem to be the time for such emotions...

CRASH!!!

Hiroaki tripped on a side table after Motoko had pushed away before their lips had made contact. "Ow... Motoko-chan... why..." Motoko made a gesture to tell Vincent to be silent, which he did immediately.

Kitsune was cheering for the two trying to give Tsuruko the impression they did kiss. However, Tsuruko seemed unimpressed. In fact, their little trick didn't seem to work. "Very good, then. Now... Hiroaki... if you really love my sister, then, I want you to wash her back."

Vincent was both shocked and scandalized to hear this. "You mean... take a <gulp> bath with... Motoko?"

"Yes... is there a problem?" Tsuruko's menacing smile began to reappear.

"Well..." Vincent began.

======================================

"So.. That's your sister, huh?" Vincent asked Motoko later in the hot springs. Although Tsuruko had asked them both to bathe naked, he stayed a bit far from her, and turned his back so he can't see her.

"Yes..." came Motoko's reply. Vincent was fighting the urge to turn around.

"Motoko-chan... I need to ask you something..." Vincent said.

"Y-yes...?"

"Your sister... Whenever you make eye contact with her, I sense you fearing... something. Is there something wrong...?"

"I... I didn't know how good you were at perceiving things." He heard her say. "Yes... I... am... I think... belittled would be a better word for it. My sister... She is... she was... the strongest... and best swordswoman in my clan... but... she left... for that man...."

"I see..." Vincent said.

"And she left me in charge of the dojo..." Motoko continued. "But... I told her I wasn't strong enough... truth be told, I will never be strong enough. That's why I..."

"I understand..." Vincent said, not shifting from his current position. "But, don't believe that you can't be as strong or even stronger than she is."

"Really?"

"Yes... I think you can be stronger than her. No, I just don't think. I KNOW you will be stronger than she is..." Vincent absentmindedly turned around, and found that Motoko had closed the distance between them... and that he was looking at her naked body.

"Motoko... I'm sorry... I..."

Motoko, a bit stunned by the situation, gradually recovered, covered her chest are with her left arm, and slugged Vincent as hard as possible with her right one. "PERVERT!!!"

Vincent was caught off-guard, and it was a while before he recovered from the blow. When he was finally able to recover from it, he quickly turned away from her and said, "I'm... sorry..."

"No... I should be the one who should ask for forgiveness." Motoko said from behind him. "I... I'm sorry I had to drag you into this mess."

"No... its' okay." Vincent said, stars still spinning in his head. "But, you know... I thought you were serious about us getting married..."

"Don't be stupid." Motoko said quickly. "I... knew that oneesan wouldn't let me stay here... so I had to make up a good reason as to why..."

"I... understand..." Vincent answered her. "Then... when you told me you love me... was it also... a lie?"

"No... of course not!" Motoko exclaimed. "Hiro-san... I love you... and I don't want to go there... because... because... if I leave this place... than I won't be able to see you again..."

"Motoko-chan..." Vincent said. He felt her arms wrap around his neck ,and her bare chest against his back. "Aaaaaa... Motoko-chan..."

"Why... don't you... like it this way?" Motoko whispered. Her breath was tickling his ear, and he had a very large urge to turn around, which he fought with all his resolve.

"No... that's not it..." he said, his arms holding on to hers. "But... Motoko-chan... your sister... I don't know if I can lie to her any longer..."

"Yes... my sister... I guess I should come out clean and tell her how I feel..." Motoko said, letting go of Vincent and standing up. "If you wish to stay here for a while..."

"No..." Vincent said. "I'm coming with you. I have also lied to her, and I think I owe her an apology."

After they had dressed up, Vincent, being the gentleman, led the way for Motoko, only to find Tsuruko standing outside the hot springs, together with the swanlike creature. And she wasn't smiling. She wasn't angry, either. It was rather a look of disappointment.

"O-Oneesan...! I... how long have you been here...?" Motoko greeted her.

"I was listening to you both." It was as if Motoko was hit by a large, invisible item. She was found out.

"Oneesan... please forgive..."

"I... I don't appreciate being lied to," Tsuruko said sternly. "but I do understand your reasons for wanting to stay here, little sister. Alright, then, I shall offer you a challenge. If you are successful, the I'll let you stay, and then I shall give you more time to sharpen your skills. But, if you fail, you will swear never to hold a sword again."

"What is the challenge?" Motoko asked.

"Defeat me in a sword duel."

====================================

It was the early hours of the night.

It was raining.

And it wasn't a slight drizzle, either.

It was raining very hard.

Cats and Dogs, one would say.

Motoko was sprawled on the deck, blasted away by her sister's final attack. She tried to get up, but was forced to remain in a kneeling position, as Tsuruko was aiming the blade at her throat. Her hair covered her face, obscuring it from view, and she was bowing low, gazing at the broken remains of her treasured sword.

She was defeated.

But... how was she to win anyway?

She was never strong enough to face her sister... no matter how strong she became, her sister was always stronger.

"Stand up." Tsuruko said quietly.

Motoko did not move.

"Stand up." Tsuruko repeated. There was no warm smile in her face, only cold, merciless fury. One that burned brightly then. "You lost. So, you must bear the consequences. You are no longer a member of the Shinmei School. And, I do not think you are worthy of the Aoyama name as well. But, be strong. I shall await you in Kyoto if you find another path in life."

Tsuruko walked away silently, the golden bird she has was following her in flight.

Vincent and the others were watching the battle from the sheltered part of the deck. After Tsuruko left them without telling them anything, Vincent quickly began to walk towards Motoko to aid her.

"Moto..." Vincent felt a firm hand clamp on his shoulder. It was Keitaro. He shook his head, motioning Vincent not to continue. Vincent paused for a while, nodded, and then gave Motoko one final glimpse before he left and got inside.

Motoko was still there, unable to move, unable to feel anything at the moment except for the pain inside. She had lost everything...

She gazed into the dark sky, and watched as the raindrops fell down on her.

She was happy for the rain...

The rain hid her tears...

But the rain did not wash away her sorrow...

=====================================

Love Hina © Ken Akamatsu