Macross Fan Fiction / Transformers Fan Fiction ❯ Robotech vs Transformers ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Robotech vs Transformers: Revenge Road

The Veritech fighter’s engine roared as it streaked across the sky, the engine purring as it reached it’s destination. “This is Izzy Randal,” the redhead radioed ahead on the special frequency, “requesting clearance to land.”

“Permission granted,” the voice said as the airfield on the desert sands lit up, guiding her down.

“Thanks for agreeing to fly me out here,” Lisa Hayes said from the back seat, her long brown hair flowing over the shoulders of her dress uniform.

“Anything to get me back out in my plane again,” Izzy chuckled in reply as they descended to the Nevada airfield and what was once called Area 51. While having been released from sickbay the doctor had insisted she not fly any combat missions for another week, just to be safe from any lingering effects of her concussion.

“You’re not feeling any ill effects from flying?” Lisa asked Izzy as they rolled to a stop on the barren rock, then the concealed lift slid them beneath the desert floor and down into the hidden research and development base of the RDF.

“I’m fine, ma’am,” Izzy sighed.

“And don’t call me ma’am,” Lisa added teasingly, “we’re away from the ship and I doubt anyone here would care.”

“Yes Lisa,” Izzy flashed a smile as they dropped through layers of armor and earth into the facility itself.

‘God, she’s cute when she smiles,’ Lisa thought. Busy technitians on multiple levels studied salvaged Decepticon parts, worked on new weaponry and strived to improve the weapons humanity was fighting to survive with.

“Welcome aboard,” the commander said, his uniform crisp and neat as the dusky skinned man smiled at them cheerfully as Izzy opened up the cockpit hatch.

“I’ll be damned,” Lisa said as she climbed down from the plane, rushed over and gave him a hug, “does Claudia know you’re here?”

‘Who the...?’ Izzy watched their affectionate embrace and felt a odd emotion stirring within her breast, one that almost felt like... jealousy. ‘Why would I feel jealous?’ Izzy wondered, mentally shaking herself.

“Izzy,” Lisa turned to her, “I’d like you to meet Vince Grant, the little brother of our Captain Claudia Grant.”

“Sir,” Izzy saluted, keeping her oddly mixed emotions out of her face.

“At ease,” Commander Grant smiled, “any friend of Lisa’s is a friend of mine. Besides,” he added as he lead them through the base, “from everything I’ve heard through Claudia, I almost think I know you myself.”

“Oh?” Lisa asked, frowning slightly.

“Miss Randal is pretty famous in the RDF,” Vince said politely.

Izzy gritted her teeth, fighting the urge to say something rude. “Not by my choice, sir,” she said to him flatly.

Lisa gave him a very pointed look of warning. Changing the topic she asked, “I understand the second generation fighter is nearly ready?”

“Thankfully, yes,” Vince nodded eagerly, “the new light weight armor the Autobots provided was the key to completing it. We’ll have both improved firepower and defensive abilities, thought mass production will be a problem.”

“Why?” Izzy asked, frowning.

“The alloy is going to be hard to mass produce,” Vince said as they entered a elevator, “so we’ll only be able to field a limited number of fighters.”

With barely a bump the elevator activated, bringing them down deeper into the Earth’s surface. “Any idea who’s going to get these limited number of planes?” Lisa asked leadingly.

A smile tugged at the corner of Vince’s mouth. “Once the test pilots are done with them,” he said calmly, “they’ll go to our aces first, then into the regular ranks.”

A somewhat more relaxed smile appeared on her face as Izzy quietly asked, “Then I’m in line for one of them?”

“Near the front of the line too,” Vince noted with a sly smile. The elevator came to a stop with a soft noise even as he looked over at Lisa, “You ready for this?”

“I’m not looking forward to it,” Lisa admitted as they all left the elevator.

“Huh?” Izzy blinked, feeling like she’d missed a important part of the conversation somewhere.

“You know Gloval left here when he was elevated to over all command of Earth’s RDF forces?” Vince asked as they walked down the hall.

“Yes, I think he’s using a Fortress carrier as his flagship,” Izzy agreed.

“Well, another admiral got bumped over to command here,” Vince started.

Lisa sighed as she cut him off, “My father, Admiral Hayes was put in command here over his very public objections.”

“Uh oh,” Izzy murmured. “And you two don’t get along too well?”

“He’s an officious ass who thinks he knows how to live my life better thasn I do,” Lisa snarled under her breath.

“You got that right,” Vince murmured.

They reached the end of the hall, where a guard waited in front of a armored door. He saluted, “Should I announce you, Commander Grant?”

Vince nodded, “Please.”

Pressing the intercom button the guard said seriously, “Commander Grant is here, accompanied by Commander Hayes and Lieutenant Randal.”

“Send them in,” the voice growled.

The command center within was as busy as the bridge of a Fortress aircraft carrier, but the buzz had a different purpose here. Aides studied research data, went over simulations and badgered scientists for reports at their various stations, even as their admiral looked on from the center seat.

“Commander Hayes, reporting,” Lisa saluted, the very model of a military officer.

“Commander,” the grey haired older man nodded, looking searchingly into her eyes. He looked over at Vince, “Commander Grant, would you care to take officer Randal over to see the research labs? I’m sure she’d like to see the new models.”

Izzy gave Lisa a questioning glance, and the other woman nodded slightly in reply. “Thank you, sir,” Izzy saluted him before turning towards the door.

“Lisa,” Admiral Hayes rose as they were leaving, “let’s talk in my office.”

“Don’t worry,” Vince said as they walked away, “Lisa’ll be all right.”

“I’m not worried about Lisa,” Izzy boldly lied as they returned to the elevator and rose a few levels, “I’m worried Admiral Hayes might get hurt if he pisses her off enough.”

Vince snorted softly at that comment. “Sure you are,” he said as he studied the number’s display, “I noticed you taking your cues from her.”

Izzy gave him a withering look as she said, “Every good subordinate does that with their commanding officer.”

“Right,” Vince hid a smile.

To be continued....