Macross Fan Fiction ❯ Above Reflex Point ❯ Briefing ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Robotech: Above Reflex Point

Chapter I: Briefing

Timeline/historical note: This work should be compatible with not only the series but the novels and comics as well. Several names and other cues are taken from what the novels and continuity, dialogue, and thematic elements are based on the animation (for parts 2 & 3). The story takes place about a day before the events of the Robotech episodes "Dark Finale" and "Symphony of Light".


An unnatural silence descended on the SDF-4's darkened briefing room as General Gunther Reinhardt rose to address the gathered representatives of the Jupiter, Saturn, and Neptune Divisions' mecha and command personnel. And he dropped a bombshell of not much smaller a magnitude than that of the REF's secret "contingency plan".

"The SDF-3 is now nearly two days overdue. The Plenipotentiary Council has decided to continue with the offensive regardless."

It was unlikely that there was any officer present who did not turn to his neighbor in dismay.

Commander Rezic of 23rd (Zentraedi) squadron, Neptune Division stood up. "Sir, what does that do to our attack strategy?"

Reinhardt took a deep breath. "As you know, we originally counted on the SDF-3's reflex cannon to hold the deluge of Invid fighters at bay while the long range cannons on our cruisers neutralized the Invid troop carriers before they escaped the atmosphere. The primary burden on the Veritechs obviously will now shift from screening the fleet to actually engaging whatever mecha the Invid send our way."

"With all due respect General," said Captain Gempshaw of the 27th squadron, said as he clamored to his feet, "I don't believe what I'm hearing."

Murmurs ran through the commanders as Gempshaw went on. The commander of Neptune Division's Shadow wing, his penchant for being blunt on the edge of insubordination was well known.

"Our VT squadrons simply cannot go head to head with the kind of massed attack the Invid have utilized on this planet." Everyone sensed a disquieting subtext in the phrasing of Earth in that way. An underlying fear of sorts pervaded the REF's strongest bluster in ways none of the assembled would dare articulate to one another; an understanding that despite the fact that the REF had never once been repulsed by the Invid on the other side of the galaxy, their own homeworld had become an enemy fortress beyond comparison.

"With the range of our missiles," Gempshaw continued, "the reaction time between our getting the first blow in and coming under direct assault will be something under ten seconds. Do you remember what happened to Mars Division? Now I know the Shadow Fighters are an ace-in-the-hole of sorts, but with the kind of numbers we're going to face, you're talking sheer insanity Gen-"

"That will be enough, Captain!" Reinhardt interrupted furiously. "Using the Shadow devices, our fleet will be able to slip into orbit above Reflex Point undetected by the Invid. From that position, we will be able to target and destroy any and all Invid troop carriers launching from Reflex Point the moment they clear the hive Protoplex energy barrier before they have a chance to even launch their fighters."

Gempshaw sat down, red faced.

"I will tolerate no more alarmist talk from any of you. The decision to attack is irreversible, and since Captains Baker and Penn are MIA, you, Gempshaw are going to be in charge of protecting the fleet whether you like it or not." Reinhardt turned to a commander in Saturn Division. "Captain Harrington, it would also appear that your Jupiter Division predecessor did not survive entry yesterday onto the prearranged rally point northeast of Reflex Point. I know you were originally assigned to command the Cyclone mounted infantrymen, but I'm going to have to promote you to command the REF ground contingent. You are to depart immediately after the briefing for Earth. As already determained, the Cyclones will be the vanguard of our attack, supported as required by our Veritech teams."

Harrington gulped. "Yes, sir."

Vice Admiral Da Cruz, commanding Jupiter Division, made the point of raising her hand before rising to address the assembly. She had served with a distinction in the Sentinels War that gave a great deal of weight to her opinion. Da Cruz was something of an idol to the REF's female troopers, who by requesting transfers eventually came to represent about 35% of the divisional strength. Much to the embarrassment of the remaining two thirds, Da Cruz had, in one of her rare tongue in cheek moments, obtained permission to replace her division's triangular REF Reclamation Mission insignia with a heart shaped equivalent of her own design.

"General Reinhardt," she began, "it is undeniable the fleet's capacity to hold off Invid troop carriers launching from Reflex Point itself. However, I wonder what exactly will prevent the Invid from flanking us utilizing launch sites from their strong points in the Southlands or from across the globe."

"Our preliminary intelligence reveals the presence of launching platforms in the Reflex Point complex alone," Reinhardt responded. He raised his hands to forestall any argument. "But because past intelligence about Invid strength on our homeworld has proven unreliable, we will deploy cruiser pickets on our flanks to neutralize any Invid force launched from another continent."

"I agree with the wisdom in deploying pickets," Da Cruz said, nodding. "However, the horizon will limit our ability to strike any carriers on liftoff."

"What do you propose?"

"Extend the pickets out in a line in a semicircular pattern around the edge of the Atlantic and Pacific basins, as well as the Gulf of Mexico," she explained. "We can then knock out almost every Invid troop carrier before they reach orbit."

Reinhardt rubbed his jaw, considering. "We know that they have been developing an improved booster-equipped Scout that can even launch from the planet itself. In that event, it is more important to maintain the integrity of the fleet to mass its firepower."

"I'd sooner face that one lightly armored Invid mecha than risk those clam carriers boosting more heavily armed designs into orbit," Da Cruz replied, sitting down. "But I understand your reasoning, sir."

Jean Grant, the REF's chief medical officer was next to speak. "Is there any change in plans for the medical services during the battle?"

"No," Reinhardt answered. "All troops wounded in battle will either be treated planetside by your specially equipped Cyclone medics, or transported to the Ark Angel for treatment when and if transport space because available on the Horizont shuttles."

Reinhardt glanced around the room for a moment.

"If that's all for general questions, I now turn the floor over to Captain Valdez for the Veritech pilot briefing."

A grizzled ex-fighter pilot limped over to a projection console and flipped a switch to start playing a pixilated vid of a space battle on the screens behind her. Valdez had more than her share of scars, both above and below the surface; her brother had been killed over Karbarra when he threw his Logan in front of an Invid fighter making a dive on the bridge of the cruiser Farrago.

"Firstly," she began, "I want it to be made clear that aside from the additional screening role, there is no change in the combat profile of our Veritechs. A few Shadow Fighters will be deployed planetside to create a hole in the hive energy shield with their Destabilizers. Normal Alphas will support the Cyclone infiltration teams, and the Shadow Fighters may be dispatched as required, once the main body of the fleet arrives over Reflex Point."

Valdez gestured to the footage that was playing. "The technicians from Moon base ALuCE II have done us a great favor by recovering visual and communications data recorded by satellites in Earth orbit of the battle over Reflex Point a year ago between our preliminary assault force and the Invid," Valdez explained. "Mars Division's first fighter wave consisted of a wing of Armored Alpha fighters under 21st squadron leader Lt. Commander Bernard. Shortly after launch, the Veritechs encountered a swarm of Invid Scouts equipped with booster units. As per their training, they launched missiles and began evasive maneuvers."

While she spoke, the satellite camera zoomed in on the winking orange mass of spherical explosions in the upper atmosphere and focused, revealing faint images of booster-equipped Alphas and Scouts trading fire.

"When the Invid tore apart several Veritechs on their first pass through the wing, Bernard ordered a reconfiguration to Battloid mode. A second wave of Invid arrived and were engaged by a Lt. Commander Greene's wing of standard Alphas. Once again, by the book, they went to Battloid mode to engage the Invid that penetrated the outer defense line. Greene and a significant number of his Veritechs were immediately wiped out by the Invid in the first pass; the enemy then set upon our transport vessels."

"Are you suggesting that our Alphas became significantly more vulnerable to attack by transforming to Battloid?" Rezic broke in dubiously.

"That is precisely what I'm saying," Valdez nodded. "By our experiences in the Sentinels war, in outer space the Battloid bestows a significant edge in maneuverability over Invid fighters. While we encountered booster Scouts, they were less common and slow to accelerate on launching from their Troop Carriers. The problem is that these new booster-equipped Scouts are fast beyond anything we've ever encountered before. It goes without saying that the Invid have demonstrated an ability to improve their designs just as we have done. Our Mars Division fighters were set upon and destroyed before they had time to maneuver out of the way."

The wing commanders muttered to one another in disbelief.

"Our analysis has determined that the best course is to stay in fighter mode for its greater speed while in space. Ground forces may find, of course, that Battloid will prove superior in terms of defilading with terrain or duking it out with slower, heavily armored mecha like the Shock Trooper."

"Captain Valdez," Gempshaw asked, "what are our plans now for use of the Armored Alpha's augmentation packs and the Shadow Drone Fighters?"

Valdez shifted uncomfortably onto her good leg and leaned against her console. "While the boosters add a significant level of fuel carrying capacity and speed, as well as armored protection from the rear, their greater mass will result in an even further reduction in Fighter mode maneuverability. I will leave it up to squadron commanders whether or not to equip their augmentation packs before deployment.

"As for the Drones, they will be attached organically to squadrons and assigned orders as needed by bridge personnel onboard each squadron's home ship."

She turned to the warship commanders. "Captains, please bear in mind that the AI on these fighters is not particularly sophisticated. They are capable of executing combat deployment commands, but have nothing in the way of ingenuity or reasoning abilities."

"Rather like the Invid!" a squadron commander broke in. Weak laughter followed. Graveyard laughter.

"Therefore, you are to deploy them as screens for your vessel or fighter squadrons, to conserve human pilots or to mass firepower on a target, but don't expect any miracles out of them."

"What provisions are there in the event a control ship is destroyed during the battle?" General Vince Grant, commanding Saturn Division from the fleet's central transport cruiser Ark Angel, asked grimly.

"The command controls will be transferred to the next vessel up in the fleet hierarchy, sir."

"If this battle takes much of a toll, the higher echelon ship crews may be overwhelmed," Grant thought to point out.

"It's possible, but the Drones are automated to a remarkable degree as they are. If there's nothing else…" Valdez was met by silence. She slowly turned to a man sitting in the front row. "I believe Mr. Obstat, you had a few remarks?"

"Thank you, Ms. Valdez," said the Council Intelligence head as he strode forward. Though he still considered himself a soldier at heart (certainly he maintained close enough ties to his military counterparts to be here addressing the commanders), Obstat couldn't help sweating when he felt a multitude of suspicious eyes trained him. "In the past the Invid have shown an ability to break our voice and combat code encryptions using the computing power of their brains. For such critical and potentially irrevocable commands as return to base or proceed down the well to Reflex Point, each squadron leader will be issued a prearranged set of simple alphanumeric authorization codes. As these codes will be used only once, even our standard encryption should prove effective at maintaining communication integrity."

Obstat was pleased by the grunts of agreement from the REFers. But he knew that nothing could possibly prevent outcry at the news he was about to reveal.

"Earlier tonight we received a burst transmission from Jupiter Division intelligence operative Susan Graham on the ground near Reflex Point," the councilman told them. "She reported a number of interesting things. First, it would appear the aforementioned Commander Bernard survived and now leads a resistance force on Earth. Secondly, she reports two status changes in the Invid arsenal.

"It would appear that the so-called Enforcer unit we occasionally encountered in prototype form during the Sentinels War has entered into full production and now leads many Scout or Trooper formations." He paused, uncertain how best to proceed.

"Graham also reports some particularly…disturbing news. The Invid have deployed a new mecha similar to an Alpha Battloid in shape and size. Most alarmingly though, this new craft is apparently piloted by humans." Obstat raised his voice over the groans of dismay which threatened to drown him out. "However, her report indicates that they are most often observed singly, so it may well be that they quite rare at this time."

"Sirs," Gempshaw said deferentially as he rose to his feet, "if I may. We know the Invid Regis has not only experienced two large scale attacks on her headquarters, but emerged victorious from both as well. Now I don't mean to sound defeatist, but we are facing an experienced enemy whose army now employs a new generation of mecha that we have never seen, let alone been able to analyze or prepare for.

"By the same token, our Alphas' designs have scarcely changed in fifteen years, and its capabilities are now well known to the Invid Regis. Even the Shadow Fighter contingent Jupiter Division attempted to land yesterday were overwhelmed and destroyed."

"Are you coming to a point, Captain?" Reinhardt asked.

"Yes sir. Since folding from Tirol two significant elements in the upcoming battle have been vastly altered- and I should point out not altered in our favor. One is the loss of the SDF-3 and the other is discovering the existence of new, advanced Invid mecha. I consider it my duty to ask you once again for a postponement of the main Reflex Point operation. At the very least, we must know the strengths and weaknesses of the new Invid fighters before we commit to a battle whose outcome must decide this entire war!"

"I will discuss this with the council," Reinhardt said slowly, knowing the futility that gesture would have already. "At the very least though- Captain Harrington, I want you to make every attempt to contact Bernard and Graham for any additional intelligence they may have gathered before the attack. If Bernard's men have faced these new craft in battle, they might have determined if they have any weak points we can exploit."

Reinhardt, through all the dread he sensed within his veins, could not help but feel his heart soar with pride as he looked into the eyes of the courageous, determined faces which looked to him for leadership. Young faces- of men and women who might never experience something so simple as watching the sun rise on their homeworld. "I wish you luck," Reinhardt managed, his voice faltering, "and Godspeed." And mercy for your souls.