Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Lion Heart ❯ The Love of a Shidou ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lion Heart: Chapter Six: The Love of a Shidou

***

The small digital clocked blinked to five o'clock. Masaru quickly took a peek at it from the corner of his eyes before going back to the small booklet he held in his hand.

It wasn't a script. Before the drama teacher could let Masaru take a part in the next production "Hamlet", he had to take a test on Shakespeare. Masaru hadn't taken an interest in Shakespeare up until this point--English was confusing enough, so why would he want to study Old English?--but he wanted to be in as many plays as he possibly could to get a good career in acting.

Masaru, though at the age of nineteen, didn't know what exactly he wanted to do once he graduated from the college campus of Gashitsu Art Academy. He at least knew that he wanted to act. Painting and playing the piano and trumpet (which he had only just started) were merely hobbies. Acting was his true passion, but he didn't know whether to take up "standard" acting--soap operas, movies, musicals, television programs--or voice acting for animation.

So he was taking classes for both paths.

As a matter of fact, he already landed a part in the professional musical, "The Wizard of Oz", in Shinjuku. He played the part of the Scarecrow. Kakeru constantly mocked it, exclaiming to Masaru, "It fits you perfectly! If you only had a brain!" before Masaru smacked a rolled packet of paper across the back of his little brother's head.

In the drama club, he was auditioning for another Shakespeare play. It was a simpler production, one that everybody knew. "Romeo and Juliet". Masaru doubted that he could win his desired role--Mercutio--as easily as he always did since he was already studying to be in "Hamlet" and was getting paid to be in "The Wizard of Oz". Too much to memorize in so little time.

But hey, Masaru figured, professionals often participated in many plays at once. This was nothing!

Then again, professionals weren't still in school.

Oh how dandy.

At least he was getting a ton of extra credit for being in a professional production. And despite what Kakeru thought, Masaru can sing and dance. How else would he have had a major role in a musical?

"Shakespeare wrote in a style called 'Iambic Pentameter'," Masaru mumbled. "Each of his line had ten syllables and five beats... gah, this is more difficult than a haiku!"

"I'm home."

"Welcome home, Hikaru!" Masaru called.

He tilted his head at the book and continued reading. He stopped after a few lines and mumbled, "We're not even giving the play in English. Why do I need to know this stuff?"

Masaru sighed and threw the book behind his back. "Okay then!"

He picked up the next booklet. A script.

"Katsumi is going to kill me if she hears that I've been working on "Wizard of Oz" again." Masaru set the script to the side. "Pissed off women are too scary to take chances with. Mercutio, your role is mine if Katsumi made it in."

Although his audition for "Romeo and Juliet" wasn't going to take place until the end of the following week, Katsumi had auditioned for the role of Lady Capulet and earned it. Actually, the entire reason why Masaru wanted to try out for the play was simply because of Katsumi. It's not that she wanted Masaru to be a part of it, but thanks to Kakeru, Masaru thought she was going for the role of Juliet. In that case, Masaru wanted Romeo. He had no intentions for any other boy to kiss his girlfriend but himself!

Masaru found out later that when Kakeru said "that Capulet girl" he meant Juliet's mother, not Juliet. Juliet's father had already been cast. Masaru still wanted to be in the play, so he tried out for what seemed like to be the most fun part: Mercutio, Romeo's best friend.

The one who had probably the best line in the entire play: "A plague on both your houses!"

Masaru really loved saying that.

When Katsumi heard that Masaru was trying out for Mercutio, she warned him that after being in "The Wizard of Oz", he should not be a part of anymore plays for another year. When she heard that they hadn't made it to the memorization stage (the play was to take place exactly a year from this point), she urged him to concentrate more on "Romeo and Juliet".

She was not pleased at all when he told her that he was studying to be in "Hamlet", but her anger alleviated when she realized that he had to learn about Shakespeare.

"Gives you a better chance to get in "Romeo and Juliet"," she had said.

Masaru did have some eyes set for auditioning for professional animation that was coming out, but his teachers, while encouraging him to try out for "The Wizard of Oz", drew the line at voice acting. He needed to graduate first; he was still considered an amateur.

"Masaru-niisama?"

Masaru looked over his shoulder. Hikaru stood in the doorway, her face downcast. Masaru frowned.

"Yeah, Hikaru?"

"Um... is... Satoru-niisama around?"

"He's teaching a class right now," said Masaru. "What's wrong? Didn't you go on that field trip to Tokyo Tower today?"

Hikaru nodded slowly, but her eyes did not lift from the ground. "Yeah. But nothing's... nothing's wrong."

Masaru narrowed his eyes. "I don't believe that. Did I give you enough money this morning?"

"Yeah."

"You didn't run out?"

Hikaru shifted awkwardly. "I ran out of one hundred yen coins. Kakeru-niisama was right about the binoculars."

Masaru grinned only slightly. "Sounds like you enjoyed yourself. But are you sure that nothing's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," Hikaru said. "I'll... just talk to Satoru-niisama... later... maybe."

Masaru frowned. "Hikaru, is there anything you could talk to me about? I'm your older brother too."

"N-no, it's not important," Hikaru said, snapping her head up. The smile she failed to make convincing was illuminated by her bloodshot eyes. Masaru opened his mouth to say something, but Hikaru continued before he could. "I, um, have homework to do."

She walked away, leaving Masaru gaping.

Masaru stood. His plays could wait. The kendo class could wait. Hikaru could not.

***

As soon as break time was called, all of the students huddled into their own groups. It was the normal; the three girls would start talking about their classes while the boys divided into three little groups--the "cooler", older ones, the ones who often ranked the smartest--and the most mature--in their classes, and a couple of "loner" type kids who often stayed silent throughout class anyway. The "loners" were the first to leave the dojo for the restrooms and water fountain. Following were the girls and "cool" boys, and finally, only a minute later, the smart kids departed.

Satoru and Kyousuke were the only two left.

"Not bad for an intermediate class," Kyousuke said. He stretched his arms behind his backs and yawned. "Another half hour of the class to go."

Satoru nodded but said nothing. He knelt on the ground and closed his eyes.

"Satoru," Kyousuke said. Satoru heard him sit next to him, but he knew that Kyousuke would not practice the breathing technique. He wanted to talk. "Tomorrow, before the advanced classes start, let's go do something. Something fun. I don't know of anything that we would both enjoy from the top of my head but..."

Satoru sighed. Kyousuke was asking for advice. "Kyousuke-san, anything you want to do would be fine."

Kyousuke groaned. "You always say that. We both need to have fun for once."

Satoru shook his head. He normally enjoyed everything Kyousuke set out to do, so he meant the words he said. Of course, Satoru never had any suggestions except for one: hiking. The only time they had for hiking was during the summer on Sundays. It was spring, and springtime was too hectic for the Shidou Kendo School for the two to do anything that would last any more than a quarter of the day.

"I always enjoy what we do."

"If you do, you need to express it more often," Kyousuke said. "I'm starting to feel apathy from you. But fine. We can... oh, good evening, Masaru!"

Satoru opened his eyes. Sure enough, standing in the courtyard doorway, was Satoru's younger brother with a worrisome shine in his eyes.

"Masaru?"

Masaru peered sheepishly around the dojo. None of the students had come back yet; there was still two minutes to spare.

"Break time?" asked Masaru. Satoru nodded. "That's good. Satoru-niisan, Hikaru needs to talk to you. Now."

"Hikaru?"

Masaru nodded. "I know you're in the middle of a class right now, but it seemed really, really important. She looked upset. She needs to talk to you."

Satoru sighed. He knew what he had to do.

"Don't worry about it, Satoru," Kyousuke said with a grin. "I'll handle the kids until you get back."

Satoru smiled. "Thank you, Kyousuke-san."

He stood and walked out of the dojo through the courtyard door. Masaru trailed behind him.

"She just got home," he said. "She's probably in her room. I tried to talk to her, but she didn't seem to want to talk to me. I mean, I understand why you, but..."

"It's okay, Masaru," said Satoru. "If she wants to talk, then we'll talk. Don't you have plays to be working on?"

"Ah... yeah," Masaru said sheepishly. "Good luck!"

Masaru ran back to his room just as Satoru found the door that led to Hikaru's room. It was unlocked.

The room was dim with only the setting sun as the light. Satoru glanced around the room but couldn't find his little sister anywhere.

"Hikaru?" he called.

Silence.

Satoru frowned. She wasn't in her room. Perhaps the living room? He turned to leave, but before he could, a weepy voice called out, "Satoru-niisama? I'm... in the closet."

In the closet? The last time he heard of any of his younger siblings hiding out inside of the closet was nearly nine years ago, when Kakeru first found out the truth of their father's departure. Upset was an understatement.

Satoru opened the rice paper doors of the closet and found Hikaru on the upper shelf with Hikari laying on top of her lap. Hikaru's eyes had been fixed on the dog. She didn't even look up when Satoru opened the door.

"Hikaru? What's wrong?" Satoru asked.

Hikaru didn't say anything but continued stroking Hikari. Her cheeks were moist and her eyes were pink and filled with misery.

Satoru understood why Masaru came to Satoru during the time when he would be teaching a kendo class. This time, he wasn't overreacting. Satoru was only fortunate that Kakeru had late soccer practice. He didn't even want to imagine how his youngest brother would respond to seeing Hikaru in such a state after she had just come home from what should have been a fun field trip.

Hikaru closed her eyes. "Satoru-niisama," she whispered as if to not scare Hikari off, "do you think I'm a bad person?"

Satoru kept his solemn gaze, but his voice felt like cracking. He couldn't understand where such a question could come from. "No," Satoru replied. He hoped he sounded sincere enough to make her feel better. "Where would you get that idea?"

"I..." Hikaru began. She bit her lip. Satoru noticed that her hand was trembling.

"Hikaru..."

"I... I wish I could tell you." Her voice was barely audible. "I wish I could... but..."

Satoru forced a smile. "If you don't want to tell me, you don't have to. I won't get mad at you. I promise."

Hikaru opened her eyes and pasted a wavering grin on her face. "I'm sorry to have... bothered you. Especially when you have a class... it was for nothing."

"I wouldn't say that," said Satoru. "I wish I knew what to say to you, Hikaru, but all I can say is that no matter what anybody else tells you, you are not a bad person. I don't know where you heard it or how that idea came across, but it's important that you know that. Will you be okay?"

Hikaru nodded. "I'm sorry..."

"You don't have to be," Satoru said. "You did nothing wrong."

"You can go back to your class now, if you want," said Hikaru, almost hastily. "I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?"

Hikaru nodded.

Satoru turned, albeit reluctantly, and headed back to the dojo. He couldn't let Kyousuke be there too long by himself; he was awfully dependent on others when it came to doing practically anything. But Hikaru... what was wrong with her?

He knew that something like this wouldn't be cured so easily. He needed to allow her to have some space to herself.

***

"Oh, no, not that sappy romance story again!"

Kakeru sat at the dinner table, glaring at the booklet Masaru held in his hands. Masaru did not look up to meet Kakeru's gaze but stayed intent on the script.

"I want this part," said Masaru.

"You're already in another play!"

"So?"

Kakeru narrowed his eyes. Of course. Katsumi Aiaki was playing the part of the Capulet girl. Kakeru didn't know the story too well other than that a Montague boy and a Capulet girl, fall in love and kill themselves. That was all Kakeru really cared to know.

"You're going for that Montague kid, aren't you?" asked Kakeru.

"Maybe I am, maybe I'm not."

Kakeru held his head. "ARGH!"

It was then that Masaru put his script on the table to look at Kakeru. From the corner of his eyes, Kakeru noted that Masaru's face was puckered up to prevent laughter.

"What?" Masaru asked. He tried to sound innocent but the guffaw in his eyes betrayed him.

"You!" Kakeru yelped. He pointed at his older brother accusingly. "You! You and Miss Perfect Katsumi Aiaki! You two go to all levels for that... love or whatever you two call it!"

The hilarity Masaru wore in his eyes broke out in his mouth. "You're too funny, Kakeru!"

Kakeru raised a fist irritably. "You little--"

"But," said Masaru, "you're right. Since very few people appreciate the love Katsumi and I share--"

"Oh no."

"--this is the only way we can express how we feel to one another," Masaru continued melodramatically, "through the tragedy of "Romeo and Juliet"."

"MOTHER!"

Masaru broke into laughter again. "I'm just kidding, Kakeru! Sheesh, you told me that Katsumi was trying out for that Capulet girl, and that Capulet girl is Juliet's mother!"

Kakeru glared at Masaru. "And you are going for...?"

"Romeo's friend."

"Oh."

"But I still think it's a pretty decent story," said Masaru, picking the script up again. "I mean, everybody refers to them as 'star-crossed' lovers. Two people, not allowed to love each other, and by a very terrible turn of events, they both end up killing themselves."

Kakeru sighed and slammed his head on the table. "Sappy. Two people dying because they love each other when they're not supposed to? Stupid. Just plain stupid."

"These things do happen in real life, Kakeru. You just never heard about them."

"Have you?"

"Nope. But they do happen. Trust me on this one."

***

Because of the field trip to Tokyo Tower the day before, San'iku Academy for Talented Girls announced that the eighth graders would not have to attend school. San'iku Academy had that policy for girls in all grade levels. The excuse? The students might be exhausted.

Nobody ever complained about it.

After Masaru and Kakeru left for school--Masaru for Gashitsu Art Academy and Kakeru to Hokusei High School--Hikaru found herself able to step out of her room. She didn't wish to worry her brothers, and for Masaru and Satoru, any more than they may already be. She couldn't talk to them about what happened at Tokyo Tower. How could she? Where would she start?

They would never believe her anyway.

Hikaru had tried the moment she found herself back at Tokyo Tower that everything that happened was a dream. There was no Cephiro. There was no Princess Emeraude or the forbidden love she had for Zagato. There was no such thing as Magic Knights. It was all a dream.

But when she turned around and saw Umi and Fuu with the same emotions that were in her heart, she knew that everything had been real.

There was a land called Cephiro.

There were Magic Knights.

And Princess Emeraude and Zagato had been in love: forbidden love.

The Magic Knights--she, Umi, and Fuu--had been summoned to murder Princess Emeraude.

It was no dream, no matter how hard Hikaru tried to convince herself otherwise. It was real.

Hikaru trudged down the hall to the kitchen to grab something to eat. She was famished. The last time she ate anything was nearly a day before that final battle--after she returned home to the Shidou Kendo School, she had no dinner. It disgusted her to a degree that she should eat, but if she didn't, her brothers would fret for sure.

She had to eat something.

As she drew nearer to the living area, she heard two male voices speaking. Satoru and Kyousuke. Of course, Kyousuke always came over to the house to help Satoru with the kendo school, but it was a bit early for that, wasn't it? He never came over until sometime in the afternoon unless the two friends had planned to do something for the day. Maybe that's what Kyousuke was here for?

"Satoru," she heard Kyousuke whine, "you really need a girlfriend!"

Hikaru paused just outside of the living room. She knew she shouldn't eavesdrop, but she didn't think she should just interrupt. The only way to the kitchen was through the living room, after all.

"I don't have time, Kyousuke-san."

"That's why you need one! So that you'll make time to enjoy yourself! That does it, our mission today is to get you a girlfriend."

"Kyousuke-san..."

"I'm serious, Satoru!"

"You haven't had a girlfriend, either, Kyousuke-san," said Satoru, with a hint of amusement in his voice.

"This is different. I don't need one. You do. Okay, fine, we'll at least find you a girl to fall in love with. Maybe then you'll see more to life than just family and friends."

"Are you in love with anybody?"

There was a pause.

"Yes," said Kyousuke, "and that's what makes our situations different. I'm a step ahead of you, but at the same time..."

Kyousuke trailed off. When neither of the two men spoke, Hikaru gathered up her courage and walked into the living area and toward the kitchen.

"Good morning, Hikaru," said both of the men.

Hikaru forced a smile. "Good morning, Satoru-niisama, Kyousuke."

Hikaru walked into the kitchen and opened the refrigerator. While her eyes scoured the shelves for something palatable, her mind wandered to the conversation between her brother and his friend.

Did people really need to fall in love in order to live?

Could anybody actually live alone without anybody to understand him?

Kyousuke doesn't understand, thought Hikaru. As long as Satoru-niisama has him, he doesn't need anybody to love, does he? Kyousuke seems to understand Satoru-niisama better than anybody else I know.

Could Kyousuke possibly be...?

***

"See you tomorrow, Kakeru!"

Kakeru waved to Yuujirou and Hidehiro and pedaled his way home.

Finally he managed to convince those two to join the soccer team. It wasn't that he didn't have any friends on the athletic teams he joined--now that he started high school, it was only soccer and baseball--it was just that he needed somebody to talk to during practices. None of his teammates were qualified for that. Only Yuujirou and Hidehiro were.

"KAKERU!"

Kakeru stopped pedaling and looked behind him. He had only traveled until the corner of the school's fence, but behind him he saw a young girl with sandy curls running towards him.

"Fumiko?"

Fumiko stopped running once she reached Kakeru. She put her hand on the post of the fence and panted.

"I was waiting for you!" she said. "I need to talk to you."

"Since when did you need to talk to me?" asked Kakeru. "I thought you hated me."

"I do! But this is about you or me or..." Fumiko took a deep breath and looked at Kakeru with the most serious eyes he's ever seen from her. "It's about Hikaru."

Kakeru jumped off his bike and grabbed Fumiko's shoulders. "What about Hikaru?! My cute little sister... what about her?!"

"She's been... well, she's been acting strange," said Fumiko. "I called her today, but she didn't want to talk or even go to the mall with me and Rei and Sera. I was wondering if you knew anything at all, I mean, you're her older brother, closest to her in age... you have to know something."

Kakeru frowned. This morning he hadn't seen Hikaru, but he figured that she was still asleep. After all, she had no school that day. The night before Satoru told him that Hikaru was exhausted and wouldn't come out of her bedroom to eat. Maybe Hikaru was merely tired from the field trip. No, that wouldn't be right. Hikaru never lost her energy so quickly!

He released Fumiko and turned away from her.

"To tell you the truth," he said, "I don't know. I haven't seen her since yesterday morning. But I'll try to find out for you, how about that?"

"Well, okay, but we do have school tomorrow, so maybe I could find out then myself," said Fumiko. "I don't know. I wish I knew what was wrong with her, so maybe I could help."

"If Hikaru's Hikaru," said Kakeru with a grin, "she'll be back to her regular self in a few days. She doesn't let anything bother her unless it's really bad. And I can't think of anything that would happen to my sweet little sister to have her in a depression for a long time."

"You sure?"

Kakeru looked at Fumiko and nodded. "Of course I'm sure. She is my little sister, after all."

***

But when Kakeru returned home, there was no sign of Hikaru anywhere. For that matter, Hikaru didn't come out to eat dinner or to greet him or anything. The next morning, however, she was up and about, but she wasn't cheerful. Her air was melancholy and her reluctance to eat was peculiar. After school, Hikaru went straight to her room, according to Masaru. The entire cycle repeated for the next couple of days.

Kakeru wanted to talk to her about what was bothering her but every time he tried, he couldn't find the words to say. He asked Satoru and Masaru, but neither of them knew.

So one Saturday, the three brothers decided to observe her for a while to see what was up.

***

"She's been like that since the field trip to Tokyo Tower."

"Something must have happened there!"

"What do you think?"

"Maybe a bunch of tourists bumped into her? Or some guy flirted with her!"

"We cannot forgive anybody who does something dishonorable to our cute little Hikaru!"

Satoru let his two younger brothers continue with their play, but he decided to see if there was still anything at all that he could do to help Hikaru. For a week now she's been in this state of depression, and he never found out what it was.

He knelt in front of his sister.

"Satoru-niisama..."

"You still won't tell me why you're upset?"

Hikaru looked away from him and shook her head.

"I won't ask you then," said Satoru. He smiled. "A man has to make up his own mind. If that's what you want to do, then stick with it until the end."

***

Thusly begins the second season of Magic Knight Rayearth...

**To Be Continued**