Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Mechanical Wings ❯ Lie To Me ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Two: Lie to Me

I reached the bulky Cephirian doors and as I began to pull back, the hinges creaked and Eagle began to stir. He groaned for a moment. I could hear him yawning mentally and if he could stretch I'm sure he would be sitting up, rotating his shoulders and then stretching out his back, puffing out his chest in the process. I smirked at the thought but it quickly faded and I receded back into my state of melancholy.

"Who's there?" He questioned mentally, groggy from his nap. He mumbled words of nothing in his semi-sleep, semi-awakened state. And then he seemed more aware. "Geo? Is that you?"

Damn. I should have left when he was just beginning to wake. Quickly I masked my feelings with my "happy-go-lucky-couldn't-have-a-care-in-the-world-mask" and pushed all my problems into the far corners of my mind. I'm not sure if Eagle now posses the ability to read minds, seeing as how he communicates with us, I wouldn't be surprised. So I changed my frame of mind completely. "The one and only." I respond with a big fat smile on my face. He can't see it, but it all adds to the effect. "I was nearby, so I thought I'd stop by and say hi to my best bud. Got a problem with that?" I asked playfully.

"No, not at all. Although it seemed to me as though you were heading out not coming in." there's a tinge in his voice, inquiring as to just what exactly I'm up to.

I threw my hands up in the air, "Ya caught me. I was just heading out." I wondered how I could say this so easily without stumbling over words like I usually did with anyone else when I'm trying to cover my ass.

"Oh?"

"Yeah. I came in and here you were sleeping away the day." I sighed.

"Was there anything particular you wanted to tell me?"

Yes. I walked over to him, "that's a secret I'm afraid."

"Tell me."

"Nope." I teased.

"Geo."

"Oh, alright. Zazu was drinking in the FTO."

"What!"

"Kidding," I chimed. Then I asked, "Have any good dreams?"

The faintest glimmers of a smile formed. "Hikaru will be coming very soon."

I hardened on the inside. "That's what you dreamt about?"

"No. But I know she's coming. She should be here very soon."

He sounded so happy at the prospect of her visiting him again. So why was I seething? Why was it that when ever he speaks of that nice young girl-why do I get a foul taste in my mouth?
 
A thought occurred to me. You know why Metro. You're jealous.

"Is something wrong Geo?"

I snaped back into reality. "Huh?" I played dumb. "What ever could be wrong?"

"You were zoning out on me."

"I've had a lot on my mind lately." I said becoming a little more serious. Then I brightened again before he could notice anything was amiss. "It's nothing a nice long Cephirian bath won't cure. Those things work wonders! That's the first thing you're doing the second you wake up!" My acting's improved quite a bit since I was a kid trying to lye my way out of who was sneaking cookies from the cookie jar. About those baths, they don't cure everything. Not this. I'm lying to you again.

"Are you implying that I stink?"

"If you stunk I wouldn't imply it. I'd come straight out and tell you." Changing the subject, I began a new and regretted the words that came out of my mouth. "I guess I should take off. Give you and your new love interest some time alone, eh?" I really should think before I speak. He didn't respond; probably embarrassed that I called him on that one. "Well, I'm in some serious need of food replenishment anyway, so I'll see you later 'kay?" No I'm not. I'm not hungry in the least. It's just an excuse. I headed towards the door, "later Eagle." I waved before leaving. Lying. It is so easy. Is that why the truth was so hard?

The door closed with an echoing thud, and I quickly walked away. That walk turned into a run. My chest hurt. I slowed down. It still hurt. I leaned against the windowsill that just so happened to be near my side. Convenient that. I knew I shouldn't let that get to me. I'm so stupid. It just seems like every time him and I start to get close, she comes along.

I heard light footsteps madly racing in my direction. I turned to see a red blur zoom by me and I called out. "Hey, little lady, if you don't slow down you're gonna get a speeding ticket."

She stoped and turned nearly falling over; her legs wanted to keep running but the rest of her body turned and they had no choice but to follow. Somehow she kept her balance. A moment passed and she registered who I was. "GEO!!!" She yelled happily and practically tackled me to the ground. For such a small person she's incredibly strong. Is that because she was the one who inherited the Pillar's power? "Geo! It's been so long! How're you doing?" She took a step back and looked me over. "You haven't changed a bit!"

I smiled at her. Being somewhat forced, it didn't quite reach my eyes. "Yeah, long time no see. I'm alright."

"And Eagle?"

"Uh. he's okay. Still in his comma, obviously, but he's progressed a little." There's a shine to her eyes that wasn't there a moment ago, and I kind of felt bad for possibly, indirectly leading her on a little about my commander's condition. "Still, it'll be a while before he wakes. Eagle's got along way to go."

She shook her head. "I know. But I also know that he will wake up. He's just gotta." She has that determined look in her eyes again. That look both Eagle and Lantis seem to love so much. My chest started hurting again. Suddenly, she grabbed the lower part of my arm as if to drag me somewhere. "Hey, I'm going off to see Eagle right now. Why don't you come along with me? I'm sure he'd love your company."

I moved my hand away. "I just came back from his room. I'm sure he'd rather have sometime alone with you so I'll just hang out around here." I turned to leave.

"Geo?" I looked back over my shoulder. "Is there something wrong?"

Again I replied, "Whatever could be wrong?"

"I don't know. But. I can tell."

"Oh, really?"

She noded. "By that sad look you have in your eyes. You look as though you're about to cry."

"It doesn't have anything to do with you, so just leave me alone." And before she had the chance to respond I took off. I didn't mean to be so uncouth. I really didn't. I just-for some reason I couldn't help it.

I sighed again. I didn't want to feel this way and I didn't want to be all, depressed but it's hard not to be. I continued to walk down the corridors of the crystal palace. My head hung low and I'd no idea where I was going. I needed some down time at any rate-or perhaps I needed less downtime. It seemed the more time I had to myself, the more I thought and the worse I felt.

I looked up and found myself nearing the currently docked NSX. A few of the staff were still hanging around, but most have left the ship to look around. Before I knew it, I was on the platform within the mecha hanger staring up at GTO. "Hey big guy." I said to the mass of metal before me. My fingers danced across the cold green chest plate. I examined my digits and find that there was a fair layer of dust coating it. "Looks like you're in need of a good clean up. Not to mention, a new paint job. Just look at you, you're pitiful."

"Much like the pilot, it would seem.” A voice echoed.

Startled I stumbled back and ended up falling on my ass. I looked around but saw no one. I heard a gentle clap and looked up in the direction in which it came from. "Huh? Lantis?" I muttered. Oddly enough he seemed to be waking up from a nap on the shoulder of the now fully restored and upgraded FTO, and instead of wearing his usual Cephirian garb, he was decked in his Autozam clothing. There was a flare of anger and annoyance, "Lantis you scared the crap out of me!" I shot an accusing finger in his direction and all he did was stretch and yawn.

"Someone appears to be in a foul mood," he stated bluntly. He moved from a lying position into a crouch then leapt from FTO's shoulder over to the platform I was standing on. It was quite an impressive jump and I would be rather shocked and surprised that he'd been able to manage it except for the fact that I already knew that he, along with the few other highly strong-willed Cephirians hadthe innate ability to, if not completely defy the laws of gravity-along with other scientific laws-then they could at least stretch and bend them to their liking.

I pouted as I leaned against the platforms guard rail, "and just what are you doing in here anyway?"

He shrugged his shoulders and took up leaning against the rail as well. Unlike me, he seemed to be in a good mood. Though most wouldn't be able to tell. It's not his facial expression that gives him away, hell; he hardly ever has an expression on his face. But his shoulders are relaxed and he's not very aloof right now. Though his eyes are closed at the moment, I could tell that I wouldn't find his trademark stressed-out-I've-got-the-weight-of- the-world-look-on-my-shoulders look.

"Okay then why the Autozam get up?"

Again he shrugged. He turned around resting his elbows on the rail and stares off at-well who knows with Lantis? "I suppose . . . if I was to wear my armour, I'd be liable to scratch the FTO and I don't think Eagle would care much for that. That's why I'm wearing clothing of Autozam origin."

"So why are you so happy, Mr. Gloom? Oh, wait. Let me guess. You sensed Hikaru's presence." He nodded with hints of a grin trying to form. "Well it's not like she came to see you. She just wants to be with Eagle."

"Jealous?" He asked watching me. I looked away. I then felt him cup my chin and turn my head to face him, and suddenly his face was only inches away from mine. I could feel his light breath on my cheek. I shuddered unsure of what to make of all that.

"J-just what the hell are you doing?" I asked, and for a moment he didn't answer. He simply stared deep into my eyes.

"Confirming that you're jealous," he announced. He leaned in over to my ear and whispered, "Want to share your feelings with them?"

"Wha-" I attempted to backup but I was already up against the guardrail.

He pulled away and flicked my forehead. "I'm just kidding."

"Don't do that!" I yelled and he just grined delighting in my state of uneasiness. "Y-You're scary when you're in a good mood! Are you sure you're not gay?"

He ignored the comments and began to speak. "You shouldn't worry about Eagle and Hikaru."

"But-"

"They're just fascinated with each other and are trying to satisfy their curiosities."

"My but you're optimistic."

He shook his head in disagreement. "They're interested in each other, but they're not in love."

"You say that even though at this very moment they're fawning over each other, even though Hikaru's said on more than one occasion she's said that she loves him!"

"Hikaru loves everyone. She's still just a young girl and doesn't know the difference between loving someone and being in love with someone."

That made sense, but still. "How would you know?"

"Sore wa himitsu desu." He answered and abruptly headed towards the exit. "Good things come to those who wait Geo. Be patient with Eagle as I will be with Hikaru. One can't gain another's love if one's faint of heart." His back was too me as he said that his hand rose as if to wave good bye, and the scene felt very weird to me.
 
TBC