Mahou Sensei Negima! Fan Fiction ❯ Not always a Mage. ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]
Magister Negi Magi is owned by Ken Akamatsu and Kodansha Ltd. Tokyo in Japan, and by Ballantine - DelRey in the United States, NOT by me.


Not always a Mage.


Watching the Mahora Paparazzi Kazumi Asakura run about trying to find information on Sayo Aisaka, Class 2a's 'mysterious missing student,' brought the memories Konoemon Konoe had of the girl once more to the surface. Mostly happy memories, but also many sad memories.

Many had been his battles as a mage. However, his memories of Sayo Aisaka were from a time he had vehemently rejected magery, and had gone off to fight, as a mundane, the battles of a war more terrible than any in the history of the normal world, or the hidden world.

---

Like many of the young men his age, Konoemon Konoe had been caught up in idea it was Japan's divine destiny to 'Bring the eight corners of the world under one roof.' The beginning of this mission of course would be the establishment of the 'Greater East-Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere.'

Ignoring his father's wish that he remain and continue his training as a mage, Konoemon left to become a pilot in Japan's growing navy. "Magic from the 'Hidden World' is of no-use to Japan's future!" he had argued on the evening of his departure. His father's desire for him to help in some foolish library on a lake, and to become a teacher in a nearby girls school, that was work for a WOMAN. HE was a MAN. He would take up the more immediately useful and mundane instruments of war, and use them to defend Japan against the growing threat from the United States, and other countries of the West.

---

Konoemon Konoe met his first love, Sayo Aisaka, on the occasion of her mother's funeral. As her mother was the wife of his fighter squadron's commander, the pilots of the unit had gone to pay their respects to their commanding officer's family. Standing near the entrance to the funeral area, dressed in a dark mourning kimono and trying desperately not to cry as she greeted those passing by, was a small, dark-haired girl Konoemon had only seen before in a picture. When she glanced up furtively as he gave his respects, he was so taken by her quiet beauty that the next mourner had to nudge him to get him to move on.

After obsessing over Sayo for nearly a month, he finally worked up the courage to discretely ask her father if he might have permission to write to her. Perhaps expecting his squadron commander to be upset by his insolence, he was pleasantly surprised that permission was granted. From then on, as time permitted, he would write her as often as possible. On occasion, when her father went home on leave, her would even volunteer as driver, something beneath his position as a pilot, just to have the opportunity to see her!

Now Sayo was NOT a 'Yamato Nadesico' in any sense of the word. Many of his fellow pilots thought him foolish for his attraction to her. In some ways, perhaps they were right. Sayo still had the clumsiness of youth, her cooking was merely passable, and the one time he heard her try to play a Koto had made his hair stand on end! However, he saw what they did not. A young, motherless girl, trying her best to balance the needs of running her father's house, raising her younger sister, and the desire to continue her own education. His comrades called Sayo frail. Plain. Konoemon was handsome! An officer in the navy! He could have his choice of any number of prettier, older WOMEN! Why did he pursue this 'girl?!?' Konoemon would only shake his head at their words. In Sayo's hidden strength and modest prettiness, he saw a person he hoped to eventually spend his life with.

Sayo was eventually accepted, much to Konoenon's distress, into the girls school run by his own father. This placed her quite close to his squadron's training area though, and that bothered him not in the least.

One Fall night, while her younger sister and father tended the Leopard Lilies in their home's small garden, Konoemon took Sayo's hand and quietly spoke to her about the possibility of eventually taking him as her husband. As the shocked look on her face slowly turned to one of happiness, he spoke of his dreams for himself, his dreams for Japan, and finally of the many things he could offer her as the wife of a pilot in the navy. Now her age of course, and the possibility of hostilities with the United States meant formal arrangements would have to wait, but he still hoped Sayo would accept him.

He was not disappointed

---

The last time Konoemon would see Sayo alive was later that fall, just before his squadron was to ship out for what promised to be long term manuvers. Having stayed out all night in a storm, trying to protect some flowers her sister had planted at school, she now lay in bed, suffering through the effects of what seemed to be a particularly nasty cold.

After explaining he would be gone for a while, Sayo had become upset, crying and saying she had a feeling something bad would happen if he left. Konoemon's heart had wavered at that. If he used his father's influence, he knew he could stay, but his pride, and his confidence in himself, would not let him ask for such help. So, in the end, he simply smiled at her and said he would return as soon as he could. Nodding in resignation, she handed him a parting gift, a Hachimaki with a lock of her hair sewn inside.

Holding such a precious gift from the girl who didn't want him to leave, Konoemon knew to stay any longer would mean breaking down. He grasped her hand and thanked her for the gift, stepped back, gave a smart military salute, then turned and left.

---

While Konoemon had been at Pearl Harbor, ruthlessly destroying the enemies of Japan, Sayo developed complications of Pneumonia and died.

Both Konoemon and Sayo's father were devestated. Konoemon more so because he became filled with thoughts that if he had been there, as she had asked, then he might have been able to do something.

The grief of Sayo's father would only last six months. He would die in the disasterous Battle of Midway. Konoemon would continue to suffer for an additional three years.

Finally, as a member of the 'Tokubetsu Kogeki Tai' special attack team in the last days of the war, Konoemon decided his time had come. He had gone off, intendng to crash his plane into any enemy ship he could find. His suffering would finally end, and he could be with Sayo at last.

Flying towards the sea, he looked down and beheld his fathers school, the silly library on the lake, and finally the tiny little clock tower, now surrounded by the Leopord Lilies planted by Sayo's sister. Looking back up just as the Sun burst over the horizion, Sayo's spirit came to him in that glorious flash of light he expected to be his last. Floating before him, her hair now a shimmering silver instead of the black he remembered, she shook her head, then moved forward to wrap her ghostly arms around his shivering shoulders. Sobbing softly, she told him she forgave him for not staying with her. Now, she begged him not to throw his life away, but to instead simply return home and resume the life he had before the war. As tears began forming in his eyes, he nodded without speaking. Sayo kissed him, their first and only kiss, then vanished in a burst of spiritual energy.

Konoemon returned to his father, who, barely able to contain himself at seeing his emotionally aged son still alive, welcomed him home with with open arms.

---

Later, when his nightmares finally ended, Konoemon would resume his training as a mage in the Kanto Magic Association. As his skills grew, he would become the leader of that organization, and on the passing of his father, the Dean of Mahora Academy.

Soon after becoming Dean of Mahora, Konoemon discovered Sayo was haunting one of the classroom buildings. Over the years, he would try many times to help her move on, but she could never remember why she wanted to stay, so all his attempts failed. Eventually, as her memory faded even more, and his pain at seeing what had become of her spirit grew, he stopped visiting her.

---

Now, as Konoemon watched the mundane Kazumi Asakura look helplessly around the old Mahora clock tower, he expended a small amount of Magical energy, casting a spell so she could see what he as a mage could, that Sayo Aisaka's ghost, at that moment crouching and crying amongst the Leopard Lilies, had finally remembered why she could not move on.

Expecting she would finally do so, he turned and left.

Sayo, as Konoemon would later learn, would quickly make other plans.

No longer alone due to the actions of Kazumi Asakura and her many new friends in class 2a, Sayo would decide instead to stay.


---

Authors notes:

"Not Allways a Mage" was inspired by a vague challenge posted in the "Maho Sensei Negima - Forums - The Train Station - Couples?" forum thread.

I know it's more Konoemon than Konoemon - Sayo, but this is where my inspirations lead me. Appologies if this upsets anyone.

Makuhari