Mai-HiME Fan Fiction ❯ A Minor Annoyance ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]

Because I owe it to the world…
 
A Minor Annoyance
 
God, she was annoying.
 
When he'd met her on the boat, he'd found her slightly bothersome, a bit loud, outgoing, yes, but still kind of out there. He was nice to her because she seemed well intentioned, and he didn't mind her company so much. (Maybe one too many awkward situations between them, but really it was her fault. He couldn't help it where he fell, and she didn't need to put on her school uniform before they got to school.)
 
She'd gotten slightly more annoying as time passed. (About a day, he would guess.) She was brash and boisterous, too quick to make accusations, and her temper flared at the slightest hint of an insult. She turned everything he said into a fight, and during class when he stared at the back of her head, he could see the angry gestures she made at her text book. (Sometimes he thought it was her medication that had gone overboard the ship, and that would explain so much.)
 
It didn't take too long for small details to become an annoyance.
 
The way she fidgeted with the bow on her uniform. (He wanted to just fix it for her, since it was always crooked anyway.) How, no matter how big the eraser, she refused to use it, instead crossing out everything she found wrong. (He'd probably have to teach her to use it.) The way she completely blanked out when she was thinking on something else. (He just wanted to jab her with a pencil.) She always acted so spoiled (he just ignored her complaints), the thing she did with her hands when she was utterly bored (he suggest taping them together and tying them behind her back), how she always disappeared (put a leash on her, he decided), how destruction was always in her wake (curiouser and curiouser, he thought)…
 
There were other things about her…
 
Her hair always fell over her eyes when she was utterly focused during class (he imagined brushing it away), her uniform was always untidy as she rushed to class (he imagined brushing it off and fixing the jacket, or maybe suggesting to the student council longer skirts), her lips always slanted downward as she saw him (he imagined finding a smile that wasn't a smirk, or wasn't so fake), her voice always carried too far and too loud (he imagined covering her lips, or finding some way to make her shut up)…
 
It dawned on him, as he stared at the back of her head and watched her try and smooth out any wrinkles in her uniform, that maybe she wasn't so annoying after all.
 
Notes:
Well, I'm only at episode 5.
I was gonna write this last night, but I fell asleep. And I had a dream about the South Park characters. And then my sister threw a cat on my chest.
Yeah… Today was weird…