Mai-HiME Fan Fiction ❯ All With Good Intentions ❯ To Forgive Is Divine ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4 - To Forgive is Divine
Natsuki gave a small surprised gasp as she followed Shizuru through the flat into the relatively small dining area opposite a spacious kitchen. She was no stranger to wealth and privilege but the luxury in which her friend lived surprised even her. Old style Japanese décor and artwork adorned the flat with only a few modern style pieces of furniture for variety. She felt like she was walking through a museum as she paused to admire a piece of Kiyomizu pottery that had been autographed by a famous artist.
“I never knew that you had an appreciation for art.” Natsuki nearly jumped out of her skin at the sudden appearance of Shizuru by her side.
Natsuki tossed her a hard look and a slight blush crept into her cheeks. “Do you enjoy scaring me half to death?
Shizuru's musical laugh filled the air. “As a matter of fact, I do. You get these really cute expressions on your face. Quite amusing and very adorable.” She gave Natsuki a mischievous wink and led her towards the cozy dining room in the middle of the flat.
The two friends did quite a bit of catching up over the simple, yet refined meal that Touro had prepared for her mistress and guest. There were moments of strained silence when Natsuki tried to get Shizuru to continue the conversation they started on the balcony. Sensing that she still wasn't ready to delve any deeper into subjects of a personal nature, Natsuki veered their talk into a different direction. She decided to play the part of outrageous storyteller, lavishly embellishing stories of the antics of Mai, Mikoto, Chie, Aoi and the rest. A thrill of pleasure flooded through her to hear her friend laugh, to see her smile again. Shizuru's eyes twinkled with mirth in the dancing light of a few dozen very large circular candles that were placed about the flat. In fact, everything about her seemed to glow as if she were more angel than human. As Natsuki observed her friend, she was hard pressed to remember a time when Shizuru had looked more beautiful. She hadn't realized that she was staring, until Touro's presence snapped her out of her reverie.
“Should I serve your sake now, Miss?”
“No, not tonight, Touro-san.”
“Why?” Natsuki blurted, her interest clearly piqued.
Shizuru mentally kicked herself for not paying attention. She knew that if she had alcohol when Natsuki was in such close proximity, things could get problematic in short order. Thus, she wanted to be able to exert some measure of restraint over her feelings. However, she didn't want that fact to be common knowledge so she offered the best excuse she could think of on spur of the moment.
She gave a noncommittal shrug. “I'm just not in the mood.”
Natsuki burst out laughing. “That was just pitiful.” Grinning from ear to ear, she leaned forward on her elbows. “So, do you ever join those infamous university drinking parties?”
They both heard Touro gasp in shock over Natsuki's audacity.
“Of course not.”
“Well then why don't we have our own?”
“You're too young and inexperienced, Natsuki,” Shizuru teased. “You'd be drunk too soon for any real competition.”
“Oi! I'm not a little girl! I've had sake with Mai and the others and I drank them all under the table.”
“Really?” Natsuki winced. Shizuru's eyes had that mischievous glint in them that she knew all too well. She had just managed to get herself in something she wouldn't be able to get out of.
“O-of course!” Natsuki huffed. “In fact, I could beat you if I really wanted to.”
Neither had ever known the other to back down from a challenge and they stared each other down from across the table in the style of true Mexican standoff. Shizuru's poor servant looked as if she were going to faint.
“We'll see about that. Touro?”
“Yes, Fujino-sama?”
“My usual and would you please leave the tokkuri* on the table for us?
Touro's eyes widened. This was an unusual request, one that she was sure her mistress was going to regret later, but she did as she was told. After she poured the strong brew into Shizuru's favourite ochoko**, she excused herself ostensibly to clear the dinner dishes, but mostly so she wouldn't watch what she considered to be Natsuki's unhealthy influence on her employer.
Shizuru made the first move. “Shall we drink from the same cup, or would you prefer your own?”
“No, yours is fine with me,” Natsuki replied nonchalantly. She took the newly poured cup from Shizuru's hands and drank it down in one gulp. It felt like someone had lit a blowtorch in her throat going down but she merely grinned at her surprised friend. Initially, she felt nervous about showing off so much for Shizuru's benefit; but she knew she'd never hear the end of it if she didn't follow through.
“Your turn.”
A few drinks later, they adjourned to the living room where they continued their contest and their conversation. Things began to wind down a few hours and a bottle and a half of sake later. Tiredness slowly crept over the pair and, at some point, Natsuki wound up nodding off on Shizuru's shoulder. Shizuru was very tempted take advantage of the situation. It would be so easy to just give those perfect lips the gentlest of kisses, to give her face a light caress. But she'd been down that road before…it almost led to her ruin. This time, she swore, restraint would win out.
“Natsuki?” Shizuru gently prodded her friend awake. The dark-haired woman's eyes opened to half-slits.
“Time for bed.” Natsuki nodded, still half asleep.
“Up you go,” Shizuru pulled Natsuki to her feet by one arm. Together they stumbled their way to the guest bedroom.
“What kind of sake was that? My mouth feels rather strange.” The words came out of Natsuki's mouth in one long slurred sentence.
Shizuru chuckled. “It's one of my favourites: Ozeki Nigori. But I have only had it a few times. It's a bit strong.”
“No kidding.”
When they finally reached their destination, the older woman used one foot to push open the door to the room while attempting to maneuver a swaying Natsuki to the bed. However, her foot caught the edge of rug and they both collapsed in a heap on top of each other.
“If I had known that you would be this fun after a little sake, I'd have done this ages ago.” Shizuru raised an amused eyebrow.
“Sorry, Kaicho-san,” Natsuki giggled. “No underage drinking allowed. Against the rules and all that.”
“I see. So, if there were no rules, you would've been happy to play with me, eh?”
Natsuki's brows crinkled in concentration. “I don't think I said that…..did I say that?”
“Not in so many words,” Shizuru turned away briefly to hide the sudden flush she felt. It must be from the sake, she reasoned. Her eyes widened in surprise as she suddenly felt a hand caress her face. She looked back to find Natsuki's intent gaze upon her. She drew Shizuru down to lay next to her then rolled over on her side until they were both face to face. “I'm so sorry,” Natsuki whispered. “I never meant to hurt you. I-I just didn't know how or what to feel. Can you ever forgive me?”
A lone tear slid down her cheek, leaving a silvery trail down her alabaster skin before landing on Shizuru's outstretched hand.
“There's nothing to forgive.” Natsuki gave her a grateful smile and curled up on the bed. The pair continued to bask in the warmth of each other's regard until they could no longer keep their eyes open and they drifted off to sleep.
*tokkuri: ceramic flask from which sake is poured and served.
**ochoko: small cylindrical cup in which sake is commonly served. It can also be served in masu (a box-like wooden cup) and sakasuki (flat, saucer-like cup…it's mostly used for special ceremonies like weddings and Shinto purification rituals).
Author's note: Drinking from another's ochoko is often viewed as a sign of friendship.