MARS Fan Fiction ❯ Ain't it Funny ❯ Ain't it Funny ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Ain't It Funny"

by: Oriana X. Myst

Rating: PG-13

Pairings: Kira/Rei, Harumi/Tatsuya

Genre: Romance, Songfic

Song: "Ain't it Funny" - Jennifer Lopez

~It seemed to be like the perfect thing for you and me~

Rei watched as Kira dipped the thin brush in the red glob of paint. She then brought it up to the canvas and applied little dashes here and there to be flower petals. Cleaning off her paintbrush in the cup of water next to her, she dipped the paintbrush in yellow and put centers in the flowers. Since she had already painted the background, this was the only thing left to do.

Kira had explained the basics of painting to him one time. She had said that you should always put the dark colors first because when and if you mess up while putting the light colors, it would be easier to cover the mess up with the dark color again. He watched as she finished swishing her brush around in the now murky-grey water and then dipped it in black paint to scribble her initials on the painting.

~It's so ironic you're what I had pictured you to be.~

Rei stood up and walked over to her quietly as she stared at her painting, a frown making a small crease in her brow.

He wrapped his arms around her and she jumped at the contact and whirled around to face him.

"Oh! Rei, you scared me," she said, taking a breath and putting a hand to her heart.

He took the hand and gave it a small kiss, which made her blush a deep rose color. He loved doing that to her.

~But there are facts in our lives,~

"Have you been here long?" she asked, the blush fading a bit.

"Yeah," was all he offered. He grinned and watched her raise an eyebrow.

"Then why didn't you say anything?"

~We can never change.~

"I just wanted to watch you paint." He moved closer to her, not letting go of her hand and pressed it to his heart. "It makes me feel good to watch you do something you love."

~Just tell me that you understand and you feel the same.~

She tilted her head to the side and looked at him quizzically. "Rei, are you feeling okay? You've never acted like this before."

He shook his head. "No, I actually have a headache, but I'd feel better if you kissed me." He made what looked to Kira like a duck face and she began to laugh. "What, no kiss?" he asked while pouting.

~This perfect romance that I've created in my mind.~

Kira stretched and kissed him softly, her lips just barely touching his.

It was his turn to look quizzically at her. "What was that supposed to be, a fly-by kiss?"

She giggled and shook her head, the sunlight from the window catching her hair and giving it a golden shine.

~I'd live a thousand lives, each one with you right by my side.~

"No, I just couldn't reach you very well, you still have my hand on your heart," she said in a whisper, her cheeks taking on a light pink glow.

He let go of her hand and moved so close that only and inch separated them, but because he had moved so fast, she instinctually moved back a step and her eyes flashed with fear for a half a second before she caught herself and moved back toward him.

~But yet we find ourselves in a less than perfect circumstance,~

He tried to act like he didn't see it, but it hurt that she still had that fear somewhere deep in her heart. He knew he shouldn't take it personal, but he wondered if she'd ever stop jumping like a scared mouse whenever he made a quick gesture. They'd been married for about two years now and though she had gotten passed what had happened to her when she was younger, she would sometimes show signs that she was still troubled by it.

~And so it seems like we'll never have the chance.~

She got close to him and placed a hand on either side of his face, bringing his head gently down to her level before placing a kiss on his lips that left them both reeling. She pulled back a little and stared into his eyes before he reached slowly for her waist and wrapped his arms around her to pull her as close as physically possible.

He loved the feel of her; the smell of her. He took in a breath and took in Kira. He closed his eyes and kissed her passionately. Her response to him was more than he could have hoped for.

Kira wrapped her arms around his neck as if to pull him even closer.

~Ain't it funny how some feelings you just can't deny?~

Rei lifted her off of the ground and wrapped her legs around his waist. He carried her over to their bed and gently set her down amidst the many colorful pillows. He then slid himself partway atop her and lay with his head on her breast just holding her close and breathing with her. He heard her sigh in contentment and felt her fingers sifting through his hair softly. He'd just cut his hair recently and when they both realized that it didn't look quite the way they'd expected, he'd decided to let it grow again so it was in its mid-grow state at the moment.

"I love you, Rei," she breathed, making the hairs on his arms tingle.

"And I you, my darling Kira."

~And you can't move on even though you try~

Rei moved up and propped himself on both elbows to stare into her eyes. Her cheeks turned slightly pink a minute and she smiled at him. He loved her smile and he loved more than that the fact that he was the one to make her smile. He reached out with a hand and cupped her cheek, rubbing his thumb against her warm skin.

She moved into his hand and purred like a kitten.

He growled deep in his throat in response and moved up so he was now straddling her, his lips already coming down to meet hers. They connected in a blaze of white lightning that left them both gasping for breath. Rei removed his shirt as Kira watched on, the color of her eyes deepening with her growing desire. This only spurred him on and soon both of them were lying naked in each others arms, hands exploring everywhere.

~Ain't it strange when you're feeling things you shouldn't feel~

Kira giggled as Rei softly touched her stomach and it twitched. His eyebrow went up as he passed his hand again and got the same reaction. "Hmm…I've done this before, and you've never twitched…" he continued to touch her stomach until tears streamed down her face from her laughter.

"R…Rei….Rei… REI!! Please… please…" she tried speaking between fits of laughter but could only manage those few words.

Rei grinned seductively and pressed himself against her to purr into her ear, "I love it when you call out my name."

Kira suddenly turned beat red and covered her face with her hands but left her fingers open so she could peek through at him.

He smiled, pulled her hands away and buried his face in her neck to take a deep breath. "I want you, Kira," he whispered softly against her skin. He could see and feel goose bumps rising up along her skin and her breath quickened. He could also feel her heart beginning to speed up. The sound of her licking her lips was the only thing to be heard.

After a moment she moved her hands around his shoulders and squeezed lightly. When he looked up at her, he could see that she wanted him as much as he did her and it warmed his heart to know that.

She smiled lovingly and quietly said, "And I you, my darling Rei."

~Oh, I wish this could be real~

He moved forward and kissed her, his hands moving to caress her neck.

* * *

Rei walked into the apartment and stopped himself from calling out to Kira. He had almost forgotten that she'd gone to visit her mother for the day. He set down the shopping bags and put the groceries into the fridge. Their home felt so lonely without Kira around to brighten it up. He felt as if so many ghosts had collected there because of them. Kira's and his fears and regrets… they all made a sort of low hum that could only be heard when there was complete silence.

At least when Kira was there he had love to keep his mind off of the past. His eyes fell upon the picture they'd taken the spring before. Kira had a long beautiful wedding dress on and he'd worn a tuxedo that his father had bought him specifically for that occasion. They'd gotten remarried in front of friends and family because they hadn't done it the first time.

~Ain't it funny how a moment could just change your life~

Though Shiori had turned down the invitation, Shuichi had gone and given his congratulations. Though he hadn't talked about Shiori at the party, he did mention that she was too upset to even call and say she wasn't going. Rei couldn't bring himself to even care at that moment because he'd been so happy that it had just flown by him. Now that he thought back on it… no, he still didn't care. Shiori was part of his past and he was only focused on his future at the moment.

~And you don't want to face what's wrong or right~

He knew that he still had a long way to go with Kira but he was willing to try and so was she. The phone rang and interrupted his thoughts. He dashed over to the couch and plopped down as he picked up the receiver. "Moshi-mosh," he said breathlessly.

"Rei? Are you okay?" came Kira's voice over the line.

"Oh, hey love. Yeah, I'm fine." He ran his fingers through his hair and a warm feeling settled in his stomach at the sound of her voice.

~Ain't it strange how fate can play a part~

"Ah, okay. Um, I was just calling because I didn't know if you'd remembered that I was at my mom's for a while today. I called earlier but you didn't pick up."

"Yeah, I went to get groceries and just got home a few minutes ago. And yes, I did remember." He smiled. She was always worried that he'd think that she left him. Sometimes, very very few times, it made him a bit mad that she thought that but he had to admit… he was still worried deep down inside that he wasn't good enough for her and that she'd find someone better and leave him.

~In the story of your heart~

"Okay. I'll be home in a few hours, okay?"

"No prob., sweetheart."

"All right, bye."

"Bye."

* * *

~Sometimes I think that a true love can never be~

Kira hung up the phone and turned to her mother with a smile. "Thanks mom, sorry for interrupting you but I had to make sure that Rei remembered I was here.

"You two act as if you were afraid one of you was going away forever the way you call each other constantly," her mother said lightheartedly.

Kira smiled a bit sadly. "I want him to know that I'm always going to be there for him. He… has had a lot of problems with security and it's only recently that he's discovered that some people can be trusted."

~I just believe that somehow it wasn't meant for me~

Her mother shook her head and chuckled and took a sip of her tea. "Well, I suppose I know… knew… that feeling, long ago with your father." Her eyes grew misty and Kira moved to the other couch and hugged her.

~Life can be cruel in a way that I can't explain~

"Don't worry mother, you have him now… and you may not love him but…he's someone…to be with at least?" She waved her hands in the air. "Never mind that. How have you been lately? You told me you had a cold the other day, are you feeling better?"

Her mother smiled slightly and nodded. "Yes, your step-father has taken care of me and helped me recover faster."

Kira smiled, this time with happiness. "Good, I'm glad then. I don't want you getting really sick again. And you are relaxing, right? No more stress for you."

"Yes, I'm fine mother, thank you," her mother said mockingly with a small grin.

She laughed. "You know I worry about you. I'm not around that often anymore."

"I know, Kira. It's okay. You have your life now, a hu-husband and perhaps soon a family of your own."

Kira's face lit up like a flaming tomato. "F-f-amily? Oh… I hadn't thought about that… not really…."

"You mean, you two haven't talked about having children? You've been married for two years…but then again, you're both young, perhaps it's better if you did it later on in your lives." She patted her daughters hand. "There's lots of time for that, don't worry."

Kira tried as hard as she could, but she was still worried.

A few hours later, Kira opened the door to her apartment and stepped inside. Rei wasn't in the living room but she heard the shower running so dropped her purse and keys on the couch and went to their room to change. She put on her pajamas and crawled into bed.

After the conversation about children, her mother had changed the subject to Kira's next art show but the gnawing feeling in Kira's stomach hadn't left. Children…she'd considered it, but she'd never mentioned anything to Rei about it. She didn't want any right now, they were still young and had plenty of time, her mother was right about that, but… Kira wasn't sure she even wanted children. After all she'd been through…and Rei too, she wasn't sure she'd want a child growing up in a world where so much hurt could exist.

~And I don't think that I could face it all again~

The shower turned off and Rei stepped out of the bathroom, hair dripping and lower body wrapped in a towel. He was shocked to find Kira sitting on their bed in pajamas and chewing on her bottom lip, deep in thought.

"Kira?" he asked waving his hand in front of her face when she didn't even acknowledge his presence.

She shook her head and stared up at him as if seeing him for the first time. "Oh, um, hi."

"How did it go at your mom's?"

"Good." She regarded him a moment as he walked across the room leaving a wet trail behind.

~I barely know you but somehow I know what you're about~

She saw his muscles moving, the way he ran his fingers through his hair, the way he walked. Just about everything that he did reflected who he was inside. He was strong, courageous, loving, and almost perfect to her. "Rei…"

~A deeper love I've found in you

And I no longer doubt ~

He turned, a shirt in his hand and his eyebrows went up in question. "Yeah?"

"Have…have you ever thought about… about…"

~You've touched my heart and it altered every plan I've made~

"About?" he repeated, urging her on with his shirt.

~And now I feel that I don't have to be afraid.~

She took a deep breath. "About having children." She bit her lip after she said this and watched as the shirt fell from his hands unheeded. She swallowed hard not knowing what he would say and somewhat dreading it.

"Ch-children?"

~Ain't it funny how some feelings you just can't deny

And you can't move on even though you try

Ain't it strange when your feeling things you shouldn't feel

Oh, I wish this could be real.

Ain't it funny how a moment could just change your life

And you don't want to face what's wrong or right

Ain't it strange how fate can play a part

In the story of your heart.~

* * *

"Children?" Tatsuya repeated after Rei told him what had happened the night before.

Rei was confused as to why Kira had been asking about children and realized that what he'd answered didn't seem to make her feel any more confident about the subject. "Children? Uh…no…never really…I mean, why would I?" She'd gone to bed shortly after that, a pensive look on her face and when he went to cuddle with her she was already asleep, or pretending, he wasn't sure which.

Tatsuya scratched the back of his head. "Well… I mean, it's only natural really, women get to a certain age and they start thinking about kids…it's normal from what I've heard." His cheeks suddenly turned a slight shade of pink and he cleared his throat. "I mean… you know, Harumi…well, she's already… um…"

Rei's head shot up and he stared at his friend. "She's pregnant?!"

His friends hands waved in the air frantically and he shook his head violently. "NO! NO! Not that, I mean… not that I would mind, I'd be really happy but…no… no… not pregnant. She's just been, you know talking about that too." He turned to look towards where Harumi and Kira were playing volleyball with their friends. "Kira will probably talk to Harumi about it later."

"Kids… I never really… I mean, I have thought about it, but it wasn't one of those things I had ever really considered ever happening…now…anyway."

"Well, if you were financially stable and you had a nice house and things were going pretty good, would you want kids?"

He looked where Tatsuya was looking and watched Kira and the others smiling and playing.

~I locked away my heart

But you just set it free.~

"I…" He saw Kira suddenly turn and smile at him.

~Emotions I felt

Held me back from what my life should be~

"I…would…" He thought about it; thought about how life would be if they had children. The world was a harsh place, this was true, he and Kira had been through so much in their lives…but… He smiled back at her and waved at Harumi who had looked over as well.

Tatsuya blew his wife a kiss and she returned it before getting beamed by the volleyball on her shoulder. She turned angrily and began chasing Kira around the sandy area for it had been her who'd thrown it. Tatsuya laughed.

Rei sat quietly looking at everyone. His eyes drifted back to Tatsuya and then to Harumi-his and Kira's best friends. He looked at all their other friends, Hamayaka and everyone else who'd joined them for a picnic… and then he looked at Kira.

~I pushed you far away

And yet you stayed with me~

They'd been through a lot separately and together. They'd had quite a whirlwind relationship, made many mistakes…and worked through everything to be where they were at this point in time.

~I guess this means

That you and me were meant to be~

Perhaps children wasn't what they needed now but… "I would love to have kids one day, Tatsuya."

His friend turned to him and smiled. He shoved his friend off of the towel they were sitting on and pointed to Kira. "Then why don't you go tell her that."

~Ain't it funny how some feelings you just can't deny

And you can't move on even though you try

Ain't it strange when your feeling things you shouldn't feel

Oh, I wish this could be real

Ain't it funny how a moment could just change your life

And you don't want to face what's wrong or right.~

Four years later…

"Mr. Hashino, it's a girl," the nurse told Rei as he held onto Kira's limp hand in a death grip. She'd passed out in the last few seconds of the birthing and Rei had yet to let go of her. His eyes widened and he gently shook Kira awake, wiping away the sweat on her brow. "Darling… darling…wake up."

She mumbled something incoherently and her eyes opened slightly. "R-Rei?" she croaked out.

"It's a girl… it's a girl, Kira…we have a baby girl…"

Kira licked her dry lips slowly and gave him a small smile. "That's nice," she murmured before she passed out again.

"Nice? It's wonderful…" he whispered against her cheek before placing a kiss there. "It's absolutely amazing."

~Ain't it strange how fate can play a part

In the story of your heart~

***THE END***