Medabots Fan Fiction ❯ Medabots: Impossible ❯ Beginners Guide to Medabots and Robattles ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Medabots, a special toy, companion, and combat sport all rolled up into the body of a meter tall robot.

Marketed mostly towards children, a Medabot is a child's best friend and constant companion, who grows and matures emotionally with the child. As such, Medabots are not soulless machines, but have hearts and minds of their own located in their medals.

Medabots are known best for the sport that revolves around them: Robattle. In matches of Medabot against Medabot, the child and his partner work together to defeat their opponents.

Robattles are extremely popular and even have a world championships every year that actually involves countries from around the world.

Perhaps the best known robattlers are Ikki Tenryo and Metabee. In less than a year, Tenryo went from being 'the kid without a Medabot' to the number three medafighter in Japan. And he accomplished that feat with an obsolete KBT Hercules Beetle Medabot known as Metabee. And after four years robattling, Tenryo and Metabee are considered the best robattlers in the world.

Tenryo's accomplishments didn't end there. He also aided in the defeat of the thieving gang, the Rubber Robos, and helped put a stop to the evil plans of Dr. Meta-Evil, a man who nearly had the Medabots take over the world. Tenryo then fought against the soulless kilobots, robots that were like Medabots but were only programmed to fight and could never become friends with their partners. And he has claimed the prize of World Robattle Champion twice.

What exploits awaits Ikki Tenryo in the coming year? Keep your eyes here on the Riverview Junior High Gazette for the school's prized robattling team.

-Arika Amazake Class 1-F

------------------------

Never seen Medabots or just a few episodes?

Well, this is to explain everything you'll need to know and then some about Medabots.


Glossary:

Ancient Medabots - Contrary to the popular belief in the Medabots series, they were not created by Dr. Aki and others. They were actually reversed engineered from the archaeology discovery of a race of medabots that ruled the Earth long before man appeared. These Ancient Medabots drove themselves to extinction from constant warfare. Medabots who were online at the end of the first World Robattle Championships that Ikki competed in do know of their past civilization due to a mass shared dream between all medabots.

First Medals - A medal cloned and almost perfectly copied directly from a rare medal, giving the medabot many advantages that a rare medal medabot would have. Genkai's Arch Dash, Zuru's Rok's are both first medal medabots.

Kilobot - A robot with a soulless medal operating it. Unlike normal medabot medals, there is no ability for emotional growth or self-awareness. The ruthless destructive nature of these robots is better suited for military than for young children wanting an edge in robattles no matter what the cost.

Medal - The heart, soul and mind of a medabot all located in an octagon disc that can fit in the palm of a child's hand. While some may argue against it, medabots are sentient and are capable of independent thought. Most medals begin with only the barest personality common to the medal type, from which the unique life experiences mold and develop them into unique individuals.

Medal Type - There are several types of medals, including beetle, dog, monkey, queen, devil, and others. The type of medal influences what kind of body the Medabot should have as some types are better at shooting while others specialize in hand-to-hand combat.

Medalorians - An alien race that removed the threat of Dr. Meta-Evil by taking him into space with them. What connection, if any, the Medalorians have with either medabots or humans is unknown.

Rare Medal - These powerful medals are the souls of the Ancient Medabots who survived the fall of their civilization. All other medabot medals are cloned from these rare medals. A medabot with a rare medal has a much higher skill level than a normal medal would, plus he can call upon a powerful energy attack known as the medaforce. Metabee and Space Medafighter X's Arc Beetle are rare medals.

Select Corps - A secret military group that deals with policing special crimes, particularly those involving medabots.

Submission Robattle - Medabot verses medabot battle that follows specific rules where the loser is required to give a medapart to the winner. This was also used to create medafighter rankings in Japan during Ikki's first year of robattling, but was not in effect during Ikki's second year.

Ten Days of Darkness - Before Ikki was born, there was a World Robattle Championships that ended in disaster as EVERY medabot on Earth went berserk and started destroying everything in sight.

Tin-pet - The skeleton and nervous system of a medabot. As such, it's by far the most complicated part of a medabot apart from the medals.


The Cast:

Ikki Tenryo
Despite his grades, Ikki is a genius at strategy. In a robattle his partner can't overcome on pure skill and power alone, it's Ikki who comes up with the game winning plan.

Ikki would knowingly jump into a death trap to save someone's life. He'd also risk his life for his pride. While Ikki isn't reckless, he can be pushed into doing stuff by either hurting or inflating his ego.

Metabee
Ikki's medabot and best friend. They share a rough and tumble kind of relationship where they'll fight, play and laugh to the fullest. They know each so well they can almost communicate to each other without speaking.

Metabee's value of his pride and ego are as bad as Ikki's, but so is his willingness to defend and help others. However, Metabee is less likely to fall into a trap attacking his pride as Ikki would, but the medabot is reckless enough to jump in anyway. While not the best with coming up with strategy, Metabee is more observant in dealing with people and other medabots than his partner.

Metabee is a rare beetle medal and currently uses a custom golden KBT type body with fixed wrist canons and a missile launcher on his head. His custom armor gives him transformation abilities that include Demolition Mode, a fixed position cannon. For 'Medabots: Impossible,' he also has Jet Action Mode, flight ability that can fire the large cannon of demolition mode, but at a much reduced power.

As a rare medal, Metabee has lived before as an ancient medabot. He wasn't just any medabot from that time, but one of the greatest warriors. However, the titanic battles he fought helped to destroy the ancient civilization and the death of his love, a female medabot that held more than a passing resemblance to Brass.

Mrs. Tenryo
Ikki's mother and the kindest woman you could ever meet. She loves helping others and cooking. Though she can be blind to people wanting to do harm, not understanding why they would want to do that.

Mr. Tenryo
Ikki's father is office worker by day and one of the leaders of the militant Select Corps by night. He loves his family dearly, but because of his jobs he's rarely home.


Arika Amazake (Erica, Erika)
When Arika sets her mind to something, she attacks it with a stubborn determination that can be rather scary as she develops tunnel vision and ignores almost everything else but what she wants to accomplish. Excepting a certain, ahem, time of the month, she has limits as to how far she'd go and wouldn't intentionally hurt her friends or endanger anyone. If she's having her period, well, it best to not get involved with any special project she may have. (Taking reference of her period from the episode 'Arika's Secret Garden' where she has extreme mood swings, forgets lessons learned earlier in series, and has Brass wondering why her partner was acting out of character and voiced that.)

Arika has two passions in her life: being a reporter and gardening. While everyone is aware the former, only a select few know about the latter. This is mostly because Arika doesn't want to be viewed as being a girl while in a man's world of investigation journalism, and gardening is girlish. She firmly believes a girl can do anything a guy can do and would go as far as piss standing up with boys watching to prove it.

Brass
Arika's demure partner. While she would willing follow Arika anywhere and does anything the girl asks, she will question her partner if she's not comfortable with what they're doing. As such, Brass has become Arika's conscience, though Amazake doesn't always listen to her.

Brass is a normal beetle type medal and uses a Sailor-Multi body. While the appearance is more of a schoolgirl, the design isn't very different from Metabee's base form with two wrist cannons.


The Screws
A gang, using that term rather loosely, of three kids who caused trouble to attract attention as they were unlikely to receive any notice by any other means.

Samantha
She was the leader of the Screws and very much the tomboy. She could easily make her cohorts do what she wanted. If there's something she wants, she's selfish enough to stab her friends in the back to get it. While she would work for the 'bad guy' if it's to her advantage, she would take off as soon as she gets what she wanted or the person she's working for goes too far in hurting someone.

Samantha's robattling style is to go for power, but all too often she defeats herself by equipping her medabot, Pepper Cat, with more power than she can properly handle.

Pepper Cat
Samantha's partner in crime, though she wished her attempts to give words of caution was heeded. Pepper Cat is a normal queen medal, and with her humanoid feline body has the advantage of speed with an electric shock from her hand as her primary attack.

Sloan
Samantha's right hand man. If there's anything she needs done right, she usually goes to him. He's not one to talk much, often letting his actions speak for him. He has a methodical and predictable manner that causes him to lose battles against opponents that know how he fights. During the series, he operated a Totalizer, a tank medabot designed for offensive firepower.

Spike
The third member of the Screws and functional 'yes man.' Hardly the brightest bulb of the bunch, more like burnt out. He thrives on being a member of the Screws because they're the only ones to accept him. He has a dismal robattle record in part because while he favors shooting dog type bodies, the medabot medal he uses is that of a monkey which are better suited for wrestling. Spike's major redeeming trait is that he'll do anything for a friend, even something that commonsense would say to never do.


Medabot Corporation
The primary company behind creating the modern day Medabots. Run by Dr. Aki, they produce over ninety percent of all Medabots on the market.

Dr. Aki
He was instrumental in reverse engineering the Ancient Medabots and creating the modern day version. And it was his idea to create medabots for children and allow them battle their special robots against each other.

Dr. Aki is rather frugal when it comes to his own money and would rather have someone else pay the bill if he can.

There is a lot Dr. Aki knows about medabots that he's not telling others, and some of that knowledge may be why he decided to place powerful and lethally armed robots in the control of children.

Karin (Karen)
Dr. Aki's sugary sweet neice. If an angel ever did fall from heaven, it's her. She used to hold the title of 'Legendary Undefeated Medafighter' because no one could bring themselves to fight her, though she has lost robattles under another identity. Her partner is Nutra-Nurse, a healer medabot with no real attacks, but can generate a powerful energy shield.

Karen's favorite hobby is cleaning. She's also extremely naive, both in believing in the best of everyone and in being clueless about the attraction she holds over boys. At least she acts naive like that.

Henry
He used to be Dr. Aki's protege, but when Ikki met Henry, he worked at a convenience store that also sold Medabots.

There is ample evidence to support that Henry moonlights as:
Phantom Renegade, a.k.a. Space Medafighter X, a.k.a. Hikaru Agata

Phantom Renegade was a thief of rare medals, though he was working for Dr. Aki in procuring these medals to keep them out of the wrong hands.

Space Medafighter X was the number one Japanese medafighter with his new model KBT Arc Beetle during Ikki's first year of robattling. Arc Beetle not only had the medaforce power that came with his rare medal, but also had an enormous energy attack known as the Prominence. While extremely skilled in tactics, he also had an overly developed flare of dramatics.

Hikaru Agata, a champion medafighter who fought his way up the ranks using a KBT Medabot known as Metabee. While that Metabee had the same body and medal type as Ikki's they are not the same. To put an end to the 'Ten Days of Darkness,' Hikaru Agata destroyed his partner's rare medal.

Dr. Hushi
It was from the Dr. Hushi's work prior to his sudden disappearance that Dr. Aki was able to re-introduce medabots to the modern day.

Rokusho
Dr. Hushi's medabot who wandered aimlessly for years trying to find his missing master only to learn that the doctor was now traveling with the alien race known as the Medalorians.

Rokusho is perhaps the first modern day medabot having been made by Dr. Hushi prior to Dr. Aki's success at mass-producing medals. He can be found with Baton, a mechanical parrot that appears sentient and yet doesn't have a medal.

Ms. Nae
An ex-employee of the Medabot Corporation. She used to design the new models, but quit when she felt she had lost touch with the reason of why she had loved Medabots. Her future goal is to set up her own Medabot production company.

When Ikki first met her, she operated a medaparts and medabot repair store out of her van and greatly aided Ikki and Metabee against the kilobots by making custom to upgrade Metabee's fighting ability.

Ms. Caviar
Another ex-employee of Medabot Corporation who had working in testing the capabilities of new medabots. She was last seen at the end of Ikki's first World Robattle Championships running off with the man she had fallen in love with.


The Rubber Robos
A gang of thieves with the ultimate goal of taking over the world, and doing so by stealing medals in hopes of getting the elusive rare medals. They were last seen at the end of Ikki's first World Robattle Championships.

Dr. Meta-Evil
The ultimate boss behind the Rubber Robos, guiding their activities to accomplish his grand goals.

Dr. Meta-Evil so embraced medabots as being a superior race over humanity, he turned himself in medabot. He sought to bring back the 'Ten Days of Darkness' using rare medals acting in resonance to awaken the dormant memories of their ancient past. While Meta-Evil succeeded in waking those memories, the modern day medabots reacted with abhorrent shock at what they had done to the world and sided with working with humans and against Meta-Evil's plans for a new world order.

Seaslug; real name: Seymour Slugbottoms; alias: Mr. Tunahead
The figurehead leader of the Rubber Robos. He has many grand ambitions, but often lacks the skills required to achieve them. Part of his problem is that he lacks the self-confidence needed to go after his goals. His only major successes were Ms. Caviar's refusal to give up on her love for him and the rest were given to him by Dr. Meta-Evil.

Shrimplips; real name: Shrimpy Lipowitz
The diminutive and childlike member of the Rubber Robos and the brains behind Seaslug. An extremely skilled medafighter capable of operating three Medabots at the same time.

Gillgirl
A shapely woman in rubber. She is full of attitude, but lacks in having any skills of note. At times she acts as Seaslug's second in command.

Squidguts; real name: Guido Guttalucci
The token idiot of the Rubber Robos, though it's rarely his fault if their plans go wrong. He can be very intimidating being both tall and overweight. And while not the best medafighter around, he does have some talent in robattling.


Other Cast Members of Note:

Kouji
A snobbish rich boy who was Ikki's rival during Tenryo's first year of robattle competitions. Though the rivalry didn't end with medabot battles, but for the interest of Dr. Aki's niece, Karin, as well. Kouji developed a grudging friendship and respect for Tenryo over time.

Sumilidon
Kouji's partner in robattles. Always willing to put everything he has to prove himself to Kouji. Despite having a normal cloned medal, Sumilidon proved his determination by learning how to harness the medaforce. Though there is a chance that ability is from being a First Medal. He's a golden fighter specialized in sword attacks using blinding speed.

Kam
Son of the man behind the company that made kilobots. He was determined to prove his worth to his father by making the kilobots as strong and profitable that he could. And he went to any length to do it, even going as far destroying innocent medabot medals and attempted to murder Metabee.

Black Beetle
A kilobot programed with a soul of a medabot. She served Kam fatefully despite that he cared nothing for her.

Genkai
Kam's main lackey when the kilobot battles began. Genkai is a skilled medafighter but has trouble relating to others and ended up burying his medabot's medal after a nasty arguement. From Ikki, he learned the value of friendship and has reawakened his partner and fought against Kam's ruthlessness as a true Medafighter would, with honor.

Zuru a.k.a. Mysterious Medafighter
Zuru joined Ikki's class in the fourth grade where he raged a private war against the kilobots with his KWG beetle, close-combat, medabot Roks. He so dispised the kilobots not because they were overpowered, but because he believed they stole his father. A man who once loved medabots, but lost sight of that wanting to prove winning meant everything to children.

Roks
His existence began and ended with the fights against the kilobots. As such the only thing he knew outside of battle was his friendship with his medafighter.



Series Notes:

The dub of Medabots is not consistent in their treatment of characters. Not surprising with the 'Butchers of Card Captors Sakura,' Nelvana, behind it.

There is no evidence beyond Nelvana's word that Medabots occurs in the distant future. In fact, with the exception of the reverse-engineered Medabots, technology is about at the same level as modern day Earth. Actually, Arika's digital camera is out-of-date by our standards. While I won't be referencing specific dates, I will be treating the series by the perspective of being modern day Japan.

Dub names will be used for this series as very little information on the original Japanese version Medabots can be found in America. In fact besides confirming Ikki's name to be unchanged, I've only been able to find 'Erica's' and 'Henry's' Japanese names.

Considering Ikki's childhood friend's name has not been spelled the same on official products, so I'll be using the Japanese name for Arika rather than Erika/Erica.

Ikki has been referenced as being ten and in Riverview Junior High (again by Nelvana). By the fact he's not in a school uniform, which most Japanese junior and senior high schools enforce. Also in one episode, 'Ban All Medabots,' Ikki was wearing a helmet depicting his grade level and class number as '3 no 1' or first class of grade three, along with older children having helmets depicting higher grade levels. So that's the age reference I'll be using, that in season one he's a third grader (which technically puts him as being eight or nine years old). I won't put an age on him during Medabots: Impossible, but his new grade level will be that of first year junior high, grade seven.