MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Family Ties ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Please note: if you'd like to read this all in one go, look me up (sn is moonymonster) on fanfiction.net. The entire story is already up; I'm just a late poster. Thanks for reading, and please review!

Chapter One

"There. Finished."

Protoman surveyed his work and couldn't hold back a grin. Now that Mega was dressed in a gray shirt and black shorts, he looked as good as new-well, as close to new as he would ever get in Skull Castle. Protoman hadn't been able to get Mega Man's blaster to work, and he wasn't sure if the leg and arm would work well either, but he knew it was better than what would have happened had Wily repaired him.

"Well, I can't fight you with your blaster down. Looks like I'm stuck with you for a while..." he paused. "Now how am I gonna explain you to Dr. Wily?"

The 'bot was still out cold, so of course he didn't reply. Protoman sat down on the table and thought aloud.

"Well, once Wily and I take over the world-which'll be easy since you're out of commission-I can force Dr. Light to repair you properly. Then I can destroy you in a battle, the way it should go. I'm still gonna destroy you, you know-don't think I'm going mushy on you just because you're my brother or anything.

"Still, I have to think of some way to make Wily keep you here. He won't want his enemy running around alive…"

His monologue was interrupted by a soft moan. Mega's head shifted slightly and he moaned louder.

Instantly the thoughtful tone in Proto's voice changed to a harsh grate. "Nice to see you alive, brother," he sneered. "Feeling better?"

"Mmm…" Slowly Mega's eyes opened, and he blinked blearily. "Wha…"

The blue robot jumped, as though surprised to hear his own voice. He tried to lift up his hands, but only succeeded in lifting his right. His left stayed pinned to his side, and only twitched when he tried to move it a second time.

Mega seemed confused. "Where…am…I?"

"Skull Castle, bro," Proto growled, eyeing the blue 'bot carefully.

"Oh…" Mega Man paused. "Where's….that?"

"…the Badlands."

"Oh…I live in the Badlands?" The robot turned his head towards Proto. "Where's that? And…" he looked uncomfortable. "Who are you?"

Protoman blinked, and gave his brother a long look.

"I'm Protoman," he said finally. "Don't you recognize your own brother?"

Mega looked abashed. "I'm…sorry…this is just…so new…"

"New?"

"I was…just activated, wasn't I?" Mega's confusion was even more apparent.

Protoman's mind raced. Here was his brother who, if nothing else, was acting like he completely lost his memory…but Proto doubted it was an act. With the damage the 'bot had sustained, Proto wouldn't have been surprised if the kid had permanent brain damage or something.

"Yes," he said quickly. "You were. Do you know your name?"

Mega Man frowned in thought. Then his face broke out to a small grin.

"Yes, I remember-Rock. My name is Rock."

That was his first name,Proto thought, remembering the very first time he met Mega Man. That was before the war started.

Proto grinned wildly and jumped off the table with a loud clang.

"Yep-you're Rock, and you're a lab assistant for our creator, Dr. Wily. You got damaged, so I fixed you myself."

"So…Dr. Wily is my father?"

"…Kinda. Don't call him that, though. He doesn't like it."

"Oh. Okay." Mega pushed himself upright with his right hand. "Why do my leg and arm hurt?"

"Like I said, you were damaged. It was the best I could do."

Mega Man winced as he tried to balance himself with his left arm, and quickly switched to his right. "Do you think it'll get better?"

"Uh…sure…"

"Good!" Mega felt for the ground with his good leg, then slowly let himself down off the high lab table. He started limping in Proto's direction, heading straight for a toolbox Proto had forgotten to pick up.

"Uh, Meg-Rock…"

Mega Man cocked his head in his brother's direction, but kept limping. "It doesn't hurt that much," he said, walking straight to the toolbox. He seemed to be ignoring it. "I mean, to wal-YAAAAAH!!"

Mega Man tripped over the toolbox and landed on his bad leg. Moaning, he pulled it up to his chest, hugging it tightly with his good arm.

"It…it hurts…"

For a moment Protoman only stood there, watching Mega moan on the floor. Finally he walked over and started gingerly rubbing the 'bot's back, thinking about the odd situation. Mega Man's loss of memory made sense, and so did the pain in his leg and arm, but blindly tripping over a toolbox anyone could see-?

Wait…blindly tripping over…

Blindly…

"Rock, can you see my hand?" He waved his hand back and forth in front of Mega's face, where the 'bot would clearly see it.

Mega let go of his leg slowly, and let it sink down to the other one.

"Um…what's seeing?"