MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Never Ending Summer ❯ Pancakes ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Netto went around the kitchen and began to take things out of various cupboards carefully following the directions in his mother's cook book. Maki and Netto had on aprons and put all the ingredients around the large blue porcelain bowl they were going to mix it in. Rockman hesitantly regulated the heat under the frying pan to what the directions said and the flame low so as to make sure neither one got hurt. Netto sensed Rockman's worry early on.
 
/Relax, nothing will happen, I know how to make pancakes you know,/ he said.
 
/Yeah, but never with a five year old before,/ countered Rockman.
 
/So,? It's not like she's going to blow up the kitchen,/ Netto said.
 
Rockman wasn't so sure.
 
After the eggs, flour, butter, sugar, baking powder, water and vanilla was added Netto let Maki take over the mixing. He had enough sense to not let her use and automatic mixer, and Maki didn't make too much of a mess, to the very great relief of Rockman. However the sticky batter still did splatter over the sides and on the counter and some mysteriously found its way into Maki's hair.
 
Netto laughed and took over after awhile, stirring the batter until the lumps were gone. Then he took out a cup and poured some of the batter into the frying pan.
 
“Wait Netto-kun! You didn't spray the frying pan!” Rockman yelled.
 
“Oops,” said Netto and he set to work trying to scrape the burnt gooey mess off the pan and into the sink.
 
Rockman groaned and prepared to lecture Netto when the door bell rang. Rockman left the kitchen monitor and appeared in the entry way monitor. “Who's there?” he asked.
 
“Rockman?” asked a voice.
 
“Laika-san? What are you doing here?” asked Rockman.
 
“Coming to make sure nothing happened to you. What are you still doing here?” he asked.
 
“I called us off today,” said Rockman. “Netto-kun has to baby-sit Maki-chan all day.”
 
“It would have been nice if Mejin told us that,” said Enzan a little peeved.
 
“Sorry guys, why don't you come in? The door's unlocked,” Rockman said.
 
Enzan opened the door and the odd group walked inside. They heard a cheer coming from the kitchen and everyone walked over cautiously.
 
“Be careful,” Rockman warned them.
 
Everyone stopped dead at the entrance of the kitchen. It looked like a war zone, flour was everywhere and there was a concentrated amount of batter on the counter top. In the center of it all was Netto and Maki who were over the frying pan making decent looking pancakes, save the smoldering mess in the sink.
 
Madoi put a hand over her mouth and immediately began cracking up. Netto looked over in their direction and at first his eyes lit with puzzlement. “What are you doing here?” he asked.
 
“Mejin didn't get your message apparently,” Enzan said dryly.
 
“Oh, well I'm with Maki-chan all day,” he said.
 
Maki crossed her arms, “That's right; Netto-chan is with me today! He promised!”
 
Netto blushed and in all the confusion forgot that there was a pancake in the pan until it started to smoke. “Netto-kun, watch it!” said Rockman.
 
Netto looked at the blackened pancake and quickly flipped it before it could catch fire.
 
Madoi smiled and said, “Don't worry, we're just here to give him a message, he's all yours today.”
 
Maki gave Madoi a big grin and nodded at her. Netto blushed even more and said, “Maki you should go take a shower, when you come downstairs you can have breakfast.”
 
“'Kay!” Maki said and ran upstairs.
 
Madoi chuckles, “You should take a shower too,” she said to Netto eyeing the flower in his hair.
 
Netto glared at her and started to put the dirty dishes in the sink. “What are you doing here?” he asked, ignoring Madoi's comment.
 
“Well, we're supposed to help you find the new bad guys,” said Hinoken.
 
“I'm watching my cousin,” said Netto.
 
“Ne noticed,” said Mahajorama, grinning ever so slightly.
 
Netto sighed, “Let me clean up in here, you guys can wait in the living room.”
 
Once they were in the living room Madoi started to crack up even more. “And to think he was our worst enemy!”
 
“I heard that!” Netto called.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto finished cleaning the kitchen when Maki finished her shower. Netto had managed to clean himself up pretty well as well as clean up most of the kitchen. Netto placed a plate of pancakes on the table and went into the living room, but before he could sit down Maki called, “Netto-chan?”
 
“Yes?” he answered.
 
“Can you cut this for me?” she asked.
 
“Uhhhh, sure,” he said and walked over to the table. He cut the pancakes into small pieces and handed the fork back to Maki. “Here you go,” he said.
 
“Thanks!” she said and started to gobble down her breakfast.
 
Netto walked back into the living room and sat down on the couch, “So why are you here?” he asked.
 
“Apparently, Mejin-san never got our message,” said Rockman.
 
“Oh, well I can't go anywhere because I'm watching Maki-chan and mama is at the onsen with aunt Sakura.
 
“How about we research here then?” Madoi asked. “A day off; even though we're at work.”
 
Netto laughed, “That's a great idea. But we're not going to do much,” he said.
 
“It's okay, I think everyone deserves a break,” she said.
 
Enzan scoffed, “You haven't even done anything!” he said.
 
Netto laughed again, “Who cares?”
 
Hinoken nodded, “I agree with Netto.”
 
Enzan shook his head, “We should be out there,” he said.
 
“Well, until there is a lead, it's not like we can find anything,” Netto answered.
 
“So let's wait until there is an opportunity,” Elecman said. “It's not like we can do anything, but we should tell Mejin.”
 
“Already done,” said Elec Hakushaku.
 
“My e-mail?” Enzan asked.
 
Elec Hakushaku nodded.
 
“What is he doesn't get it?” Enzan asked.
 
“Then it teaches him to read his e-mail,” said Netto.
 
Rockman nodded, “I agree.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
While everyone was resting at Netto's house Obsidian decided she had other plans. “Time to see what we can really do,” she smiled and looked up at the rather large stone tablet in front of her. It was written in a long dead language but the person who she was stealing it for knew exactly how to read it.
 
She took it to where the agreed drop off point was and put it into a cushioned box. “Well done, dear,” said a cool voice behind her.
 
Obsidian turned around to see Nova walking with prestige towards her. Her normally cold features broke into a warm grin. “My love, how nice it is to see you again.”
 
Nova nodded, his own features warming up as well. “I agree this mission keeps us from each other too long.”
 
Obsidian played with the white cape that dangled from his white armor. She always thought he looked like an angel, but few did know the danger that lay beneath the handsome mask. “Shall we take this elsewhere?” she purred.
 
Nova shook his head, “As much as it pains me to say this, we must finish what we started. I'm sure the net saviors will be at the museum any minute now.”
 
Obsidian chuckled, “And I have that all covered, dear. I'll go back when I'm needed which won't be for awhile yet.”
 
Nova raised an eyebrow, “Is that so?” He scooped her up as an old fashioned couple would. “Now what were you saying earlier?”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto and Maki were in a heated battle of Candyland when his PET rang. “Yes, what is it?” Netto asked a little crossly. “You know it's my day off don't you?”
 
“Netto-kun, Laika-kun, Enzan-kun the Densan Museum was just robbed,” Mejin said in a tight voice. “You need to get down there now.”
 
Netto's knuckles went white as he gripped the PET. “Damnit,” he hissed.
 
Madoi put her hand on his shoulder, “This sounds like your work, kid. We can watch your cousin.”
 
Netto looked at her, “You can?”
 
Mejin nodded, “Good, okay you three get down there as quickly as possible. There's something about what they stole that makes me uneasy,” and before anyone could ask what he meant, the PET screen went blank.
 
“Nothing like giving a little detail,” said Enzan sarcastically.
 
“No kidding,” Hinoken said.
 
Netto knelt down to Maki's level and Maki threw her arms around him. “You can't go, you promised!” she said.
 
Netto pulled her arms off of him and held her hands in his own. “I know, and I'm really sorry but we can't stay. Maki-chan, you need to stay here and be a good girl, okay?”
 
Maki sniffled and nodded, “Okay.”
 
“Don't worry, we'll be back in a few hours,” Rockman said.
 
Maki nodded again but didn't say anything.
 
Netto stood up and followed Laika and Enzan out the door. “Bye!” he waved and shut the door.
 
“Bye, Netto-chan,” Maki sniffled.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
“Oh man, mom is so gonna kill me if I'm not back before she is,” Netto said.
 
“Don't worry, we'll wrap this up in a few hours and be back before dinner,” Enzan said.
 
“You better be right or I'll be grounded till the end of the week,” he said.
 
“At least we'll know where you are,” Laika attempted a joke.
 
“Ha ha, very funny,” Netto said dryly.
 
They continued to run towards the Museum which wasn't far away from Netto's house. “So, what do you think they stole?” asked Laika.
 
“Some kind of ancient artifact? It is a museum you know,” Netto pointed out.
 
Enzan and Laika shrugged, “Why don't we worry about that after we get to the museum,” said Blues.
 
“I agree with Blues,” said Rockman. “We need to see what happened first, then we can try and guess what the enemy is doing.”
 
“What enemy is it?” asked Enzan. “This doesn't have the same kind of feel that a Neo WWW crime does. Could it be that Obsidian person?”
 
They all pondered this in silence as they ran to the museum.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Back at Netto's place, the members of WWW were desperately trying to cheer Maki up. “It's okay, they'll be back in a few hours at the most,” said Madoi.
 
“But Netto-chan promised me that today would be just us!” Maki said. “Why did you guys have to come?”
 
The four adults and their navi's were taken aback.
 
“Netto-chan used to just play with me when I came over to visit, but now he has a bunch of other people come over every day and we don't get to play alone anymore. It's not fair!” Maki huffed and crossed her arms.
 
“Ah, well. Netto just has new responsibilities right now,” said Mahajorama, always the diplomat.
 
“So? I was his responsibility today, mama said so!” Maki said.
 
“Can't argue with that.” Elec Hakushaku shrugged.
 
Madoi elbowed him in the stomach and said, “Hush.”
 
“Why won't Netto-chan just stay with me?” Maki asked.
 
“I don't think he has much choice in the matter,” said Hinoken. “He does things that are important and needed, especially because they're important.”
 
“Like being a super hero?” Maki asked.
 
Everyone blinked and Madoi tried desperately not to burst out laughing. “I never thought about it like that,” she said, suppressing her laughter.
 
Mahajorama did not laugh but instead nodded, “Yes, just like that.”
 
Maki gave him a broad grin and ran upstairs. “What are you doing?” Madoi called.
 
“I'm gonna see if I can try and help Netto-chan,” she said and ran into Netto's room slamming the door behind her.
 
Madoi made to follow her but Mahajorama placed his hand on her shoulder. “Let her go, she probably is going to play with the computer or something.”
 
Madoi sighed, “If you say so,” she said doubtfully.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto, Enzan and Laika all went into the museum. To their very great surprise no one came out to greet them or show them to the site of the crime. In fact, no one was there at all.
 
“Hello?” Netto called out.
 
“This smells like a trap,” said Enzan.
 
“Smells like? You need some new lines,” Netto laughed.
 
Enzan gave him a withering look but didn't retort.
 
“Over here,” said Laika motioning then towards a room. Enzan and Netto went over and followed their friend inside.
 
“What is it?” asked Netto.
 
Laika pointed towards the rather obvious smashed case and glass on the floor. “Not very observant are you Netto-kun,” Rockman said.
 
“Sh-shut up,” said Netto going red.
 
Enzan and Laika both got a grin out of that but before they could add their own comments they heard a crash from the hall way. They ran out of the room without a word and looked for whatever caused the loud noise. “Who's there?” said Netto.
 
A small girl that looked no older then Maki stood there. She had large white pupil-less eyes and was dressed in a pale grey battle suit. Her hair stuck out in a short pony tail from under her helmet. But it wasn't her appearance or her age that seemed the most odd about her, it was the fact that they could see right through her.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Madoi looked at the closed door. “She's too quiet. Something is wrong,” Madoi said.
 
“Relax, you're just being paranoid,” said Elecman.
 
“I agree,” Elec Hakushaku said.
 
Madoi cast another uneasy glance at the door. “I'm not so sure.” She got up and walked upstairs, then knocked on the door. “Hey, Maki-chan are you in there?” she asked.
 
There was no reply and Madoi knocked again. “Hello?” she called.
 
When there was no reply a second time she opened the door and went inside. The other Neo WWW members looked at the empty hallway getting a little nervous. A minute later Madoi came running back out, “She ran away!” she yelled.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Maki remembered where the museum was. Her mom took her there a long time ago but she had lots of pictures from the time. A lamp post here and a tourist shop there, they were all in the snapshots that she always looked at. She slowly walked down the third block being very careful to look both ways. Then right in front of her loomed a giant marble building with the words, `Densan History Museum' on it. Maki grinned and ran towards the big building and ignored the caution tape placed in front of the doors.
 
She was going to find Netto-chan!
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
The three Net Saviors looked at the ghostly like navi. “Um, hi? Did you make that noise?” asked Netto, unsure of what to say.
 
The girl nodded, not saying a word.
 
“Are you okay?” he asked again.
 
This time the girl shook her head.
 
Netto frowned, “Well, what's wrong?” he asked.
 
He lips trembled, “I'm…” she whispered. “I'm alone.”
 
“Netto-kun, she's not a normal navi,” Rockman warned.
 
“I think I guessed that,” said Netto.
 
“I…” she started to speak again, and all attention was brought back to her. “I don't want to be alone.”
 
/What do I say?/ Netto thought desperately.
 
/I don't know, how about we figure out what she is first,/ said Rockman.
 
The girl looked straight at Netto and Rockman as they exchanged thoughts. “You… talked?” she asked, her expression not changing one bit.
 
“Uhhh,” Neither Netto nor Rockman had any good reply to that question.
 
“You what?” asked Enzan.
 
“Don't ask,” said Netto.
 
The girl kept on looking at them, and the room started to gather a haze. The misty swirls traveled on the floor and started to fill to room. Meanwhile the girl's appearance started to become more and more solid.
 
The white tendrils were by no means solid but they seemed to almost anchor them in place.
 
“I don't want to be alone,” the girl repeated.
 
Netto started to feel very sleepy and couldn't figure out what was going on. “What is she doing?” he asked while trying to stay awake.
 
“I… don't know,” said Enzan who sounded like he was having the same problems as Netto.
 
“Don't leave me alone,” the girl said.
 
Netto wanted to reply but whatever was making him sleepy finally won and he collapsed into the mist.
 
“I'm scared,” said the girl, and that was the last thing Netto heard before he lost consciousness.