MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Never Ending Summer ❯ To tell or not to Tell ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

After much protesting Netto had finally managed to get Maki-chan back into his house with Sakura and Haruka. He was grateful that they were home and that he didn't need to explain something like that to her, now hopefully she wouldn't say that he got sick; or his mom would come after him with a thermometer, even though she knew the reason.
 
Laika and Enzan walked to the HQ in silence, they didn't need to press for something that they knew would be explained in due time. They were just worried about their friend's obvious problems, they weren't quite sure what triggered such a violent reaction in Netto's body but it was obvious he wasn't sick.
 
Netto, Laika and Enzan walked into the computer room where Rockman was sitting miserably in his computer with Searchman and Blues standing on either side of him. When Rockman saw them approaching he looked relived. “Netto-kun, I'm so sorry,” he said.
 
Netto smiled, “Nah, its okay, it's not your fault.”
 
Enzan and Laika looked puzzled; Blues and Searchman however had more of a grasp on the situation from what they had overheard. “So, you two are brothers then?” asked Blues.
 
Laika and Enzan looked very surprised but didn't say anything. Netto whistled, “Wow, you two heard a lot huh?”
 
Blues smiled wryly, “You could say that. Care to explain?”
 
Netto smiled and shook his head. “I still stand by what I said before, Rockman will explain, it's mostly his secret anyway.”
 
Rockman smiled gratefully, “Thanks Netto-kun.”
 
Netto smiled, “Just try not to freak out like that again, I don't think my body handled that very well.”
 
Rockman laughed and Netto felt considerable tension leave the link. He gave a sigh of relief as Rockman finally relaxed.
 
“Okay, I get the whole bond thing, but will someone please explain what's going on?” asked Enzan.
 
Rockman sighed, “Want the long version or the short version?” he asked.
 
“I'd go with the long,” said Laika patiently.
 
“Okay, well bluntly put, Netto-kun and I are twins,” said Rockman.
 
All eyes turned towards Netto for a second before going back to Rockman.
 
“What happened was when I was a baby, about 18 months old; I died of a heart condition called HBD. Papa took my DNA, de-synced it from Netto's by 0.001% and turned it into data, creating well, me from it.” Rockman sighed and scratched his head. “It's really complicated, should I go on?”
 
“Please, this is fascinating,” said Enzan.
 
Netto giggled softly and Rockman continued. “Okay, so about five months ago?” Rockman looked at Netto.
 
“Yeah, I'd say about that much,” Netto answered.
 
“Yeah, five months ago, I got infected with a computer virus. It was really bad and almost completely deleted me. That was when we couldn't do anything because Netto was sick for about a week.”
 
Blues blinked, even though no one could see it. “I remember that, you two missed out on one of Narcy's schemes.”
 
Netto rolled his eyes, “Yeah, I don't think I minded that.”
 
Rockman cleared his throat, “Anyway, papa said that I could be saved if Netto agreed to let papa re-synch our DNA, which then in turn helped clear the virus out of my system.”
 
Searchman looked puzzled. “How?” he asked.
 
Netto groaned, “Don't ask. I asked papa and I did not understand a word he said.”
 
Rockman laughed, “Well, simply put, having Netto-kun's human immune system synched to mine actually allowed him to help me fight off the computer virus.”
 
Netto's eyes widened, “So that's what he meant! Geez, why couldn't he just say that?” Netto muttered.
 
“Well, papa likes to explain things very thoroughly. I guess it comes from being a scientist.”
 
Enzan blinked, “So, Netto was infected with a computer virus?”
 
Netto and Rockman were silent for a minute, “I guess so, never really thought about it that way,” said Netto.
 
“You wouldn't,” said Enzan.
 
“And what's what supposed to mean?” asked Netto, a little angrily.
 
“Nothing. So, is that it?” Enzan asked.
 
Rockman nodded, “Pretty much, everything that I just told you is what was stolen that Mejin referred to.”
 
“So, you were so scared that you actually made Netto sick?” Laika asked, amazed.
 
“Eh, Netto-kun got sick?” Rockman said surprised.
 
Netto groaned, and shot Laika a dirty look. “I'm fine Rockman; I don't blame you for freaking out.”
 
“But,” Rockman started.
 
Netto shook his head. “Please, drop it.”
 
Rockman sighed, “All right, so anyone want to go to Mejin to explain our little run in?”
 
“I vote Enzan to go!” said Netto.
 
“Hey, not fair,” said Enzan.
 
Laika smiled, “I vote Enzan too.”
 
Rockman giggled, “Okay, I agree with Netto-kun.”
 
Searchman nodded his consent and Blues smiled, it was rare when he could joke around with his operator. “I agree with everyone else.”
 
Enzan glared at them. “Fine, but after this, Netto, you're coming over my house and explaining a few more things.”
 
Netto shrugged, “All right, but be fast, the sun's going down.”
 
Enzan muttered on his way out to report the news to the less then thrilled Mejin-san.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
About two hours after Netto's designated curfew he went into his house as quietly as he possibly could, maybe his mom didn't notice. As soon as the door shut with a quiet click a light turned on and Netto turned to face a very upset Haruka and Maki.
 
“Uh oh…” he said quietly.
 
/This is your fault, I told you not to stay at Enzan's so long,/ Rockman scolded his twin.
 
/But they were ruthless, what was I suppoused to do, run away?/
 
/Who are you scared of more, Enzan and Laika or Mom and Maki./
 
/Really? Mom, over everyone./ Netto paused, /Oh, I see your point./
 
“Just where have you been young man?” Haruka asked in a harsh tone.
 
“Well, Enzan invited me over and we kinda lost track of time…” Netto laughed and rubbed the back of his head.
 
/That is the lamest…/
 
/Rockman, shut up…/
 
To the twin's surprise, Haruka's gaze softened. “Oh, so you were with Enzan-kun?”
 
Netto sensed an opening and took it, “Yes! And Laika too. They wanted to talk for a bit,” Netto smiled.
 
“That's nice; those boys need to be more social.” Haruka smiled, “Well, since you were with your friends I guess I can let it go this once. But don't push your luck again.”
 
Netto nodded, “Yes mom.”
 
“Also, you're Aunt and I are going to the Hot Springs tomorrow, so can you watch Maki for us?” Haruka added.
 
Netto nodded fervently. “Of course! I'm not doing much at Net Saviors HQ so I can just tell Mejin I'm babysitting.”
 
“Okay, we'll probably be gone by the time you wake up tomorrow, so please get Maki up and ready. We'll be home around 10, can you two handle it?” Haruka asked.
 
Netto nodded, “Of course! Leave it to me!”
 
Haruka nodded and left the room, leaving Netto with a none too happy Maki. “Hey, Netto-chan! Why did you leave me here today!” she said.
 
Netto blinked, he forgot Maki was even there, he was too busy celebrating his day of non deskwork. “I uhh…”
 
Maki crosser her arms over her chest and pouted, making Netto sweat a little. “Don't you like me?” she asked.
 
“Wh-what? Of course I do! What kind of question is that?” Netto said, quickly bending down to his cousin's level.
 
“Really? Then why did you leave me here?” she said.
 
“I had to take care of something, I didn't want to drag you along…” Netto started.
 
“So you don't trust me?” she said, her eyes started to water.
 
“What! I never said that…” Netto said quickly.
 
“Uwahhhh, Netto-chan doesn't like me!” she said in a loud voice.
 
“Ah, ah, Maki-chan, shhhh! I never said that, I like you very much! Please, stop crying,” he said desperately.
 
/Oh yeah, one heck of a babysitter you are,/ chided Rockman.
 
/Okay, you either help or stay out of this,/ Netto replied, a little irked.
 
“And Netto-chan doesn't even love me enough to let me sleep in his bed, I bet he doesn't even care that I get lonely and scared at night,” Maki continued.
 
“Maki, of course I do. Please stop crying,” Netto said, trying to hush his cousin up.
 
Maki looked up at her cousin though the fake tears and grinned, “So I can sleep with you again tonight?” she asked in a voice with a few hiccups for good measure.
 
“Ummm, well Maki, I don't think…” Netto saw Maki's eyes fill with tears again and he help up his hands, “All right, all right, you can again tonight.”
 
“Every night?” she asked.
 
“Maki, I don't think that's a good idea…”
 
“You don't love me?” she asked again.
 
“Wh-wha? W-wait, I never said that!”
 
“So I can sleep with you whenever?” she asked.
 
“I-I guess…” Netto said hesitantly.
 
“Wai!” Maki threw her arms in the air and ran upstairs.
 
“Rockman, what just happened?” asked a stunned Netto.
 
“You got played like a harp by a five year old,” laughed Rockman.
 
Netto let his head fall. “Ugh, she's really good at that huh?”
 
Rockman smiled, “Yeah, five years olds can be very manipulative.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto got into his pajamas and went into his room, finding Maki half asleep on his bed. Netto smiled and put Rockman's PET into it's holder by the computer, turning on the stasis program. “Night Rockman,” he said.
 
“Night Netto-kun,” he said back.
 
Netto went over to Maki who was sprawled out on the bed and picked her up and pulled back the covers allowing both of them to slide in between the sheets without being uncomfortable. He pulled the sheets up to Maki's chin and whispered “Goodnight, Maki-chan.”
 
Maki nodded and curled up into Netto's arms, “Night-night Netto-chan, promise tomorrow is just us?”
 
Netto nodded and yawned, “Yeup, I promise.”
 
“Good, night-night Rockman-chan,” she said quietly.
 
“Night Maki-chan. Have good dreams,” he said.
 
“Thanks you too, and Net-chan, you have good dreams too.”
 
“I will, now go to bed.”
 
“Okay, night-night Netto-chan and Rockman-chan.”
 
Netto and Rockman sighed, “Good night Maki-chan.”
 
“Have good dreams too!”
 
“Maki-chan, just go to bed,” they said to her simultaneously.
 
“Okay okay, jeez, night-night.”
 
Netto and Rockman rolled their eyes and didn't reply.
 
“Are you there? I said night-night…” Maki said.
 
“Maki, night-night and go to bed,” said Netto.
 
“Okay,” Maki shut her eyes and curled into Netto's arms. “Night-night everyone.”
 
/That took forever…/
 
Rockman giggled mentally, /Night-night Netto-kun,/ he said.
 
/Shut up,/ Netto cut off the thought connection and went to sleep.
 
A shadow left the PC in the Hikari residence and Obsidian prepared to deliver the latest bit of news to her boss. “Night-night, Hikari twins,” she laughed.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Mejin appeared in Maha-ichiban that night right before it closed. Mahajorama heard the small bell ring and called out, “Welcome, we are about to close but you have enough time for one bowl, may I suggest the spicy pork cu…” he turned around and saw who it was. “Well well, what brings you here?” he asked.
 
“Some very important matters let me assure you. Is your apprentice present?” Mejin asked.
 
“Dekao-kun? No, he and his navi are out getting this week's order of spices. How can I be of service?” he asked.
 
“Where are your other subordinates?” Mejin asked.
 
“In the back room, what's this about?” he asked, getting a little suspicious of the Net Savior leader.
 
“Take me there and I'll tell you.”
 
Mahajorama nodded and motioned for him to follow. He opened a door behind the kitchen that let them in on a little rec room where Madoi, Elec Hakushaku and Hinoken were playing a racing video game of some sort with their navi's cheering them on.
 
“Go Madoi!” Coloredman cheered as she cut Hinoken and Elec Hakushaku off in one move.
 
Mahajorama cleared his throat and brought all attention to himself and Mejin. “We have a guest,” he said.
 
Madoi stood up and dusted off her pants. “Hey, Mejin long time no see,” she said. “What brings you here?” she asked.
 
“Very pressing news, I'm afraid. We have a new net mafia and I'd like to ask for your help.”
 
Hinoken laughed, “We're convicted criminals. Since when do you need our help?”
 
“Since Hikari Netto's and Rockman's lives are in danger.”
 
He heard a gasp from Madoi and smiled. “Do I have your interest?”
 
“What did they do this time?” Elecman asked.
 
Mejin shook his head, “Nothing, in fact what happened wasn't their fault by any means. However, what I'm about to tell you must never leave this room, understand? Netto-kun and Rockman are going to get very upset at me for telling you this, but I see no other way. I can't watch them all the time and I know against most everyone's judgment that he trusts you. Will you help?”
 
Hinoken was the first to answer, “Of course, now what's wrong.”
 
“Some very important papers were stolen yesterday and some very important files were taken as well. Can I trust you all to keep this to yourselves?” Mejin asked.
 
“What about their friends?” asked Magicman.
 
“Dekao and Gutsman? No, Netto-kun and Rockman have the right to tell them when they see fit. The only reason I'm telling you is to make sure a repeat of what happened today doesn't happen again.”
 
“We promise we won't say anything, now tell us what's so damn important!” said Madoi.
 
Mejin sighed and told the story, making sure that nothing was left out. When he finished he looked at the stunned ex-WWW members. “Can I trust you?”
 
Madoi smiled shakily, “Yeah, just tell us where and when.”
 
“As soon as possible at Net Saviors HQ.”
 
“We'll be there tomorrow,” said Mahajorama.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
A thunderstorm started up later that night causing Maki to wake up, in an alien bed and terrified to within an inch of her life.
 
Netto groaned and put his arms around the shaking body. “Maki-chan, it's just a thunderstorm, go back to sleep.”
 
Maki hesitated then snuggled deeper into the sheets apprehensively. Just a thunderstorm? She wasn't too sure.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Maki woke up the next morning curled in Netto's arms. She shifted gently and Netto stirred and groaned in his sleep. “Netto-kun is the world's heaviest sleeper,” came Rockman's voice from the computer. “You can get up now Maki-chan.”
 
Maki grinned at Rockman, but she had other ideas. She broke herself from Netto's embrace and stood up on the bed.
 
Rockman immediately understood what she was going to do. “Maki-chan, I don't think that's a good idea,” he said.
 
Maki ignored him and dive-bombed Netto, right in the stomach. Netto was jolted awake by the sudden extra weight and he sat up gasping. Maki jumped to the floor giggling and ran out of the room before Netto could yell at her.
 
Netto watched her run out the door, somewhat stunned. Rockman giggles, “I tried to stop her,” he said.
 
Netto glared at Rockman and sat up, “Gee some security you are,” he scoffed.
 
Rockman shrugged, “I swear Netto, she's like a ninja,” he joked.
 
Netto muttered and got out of bed, he grabbed his clothes from his dresser and walked out of the room without saying a word.
 
Maki came back in and sat on Netto's bed, waiting for Netto come back in. “Where's Netto-chan?” she asked.
 
“He's getting dressed. He'll be back in here in a few minutes,” Rockman said.
 
“Was Netto-chan upset?” asked Maki.
 
“Nah, he's just not a morning person. He'll be happy and hyper in a few minutes,” Rockman winked at Maki.
 
Maki giggled and Netto walked into the room tying back his messy brown hair with his powder blue bandana. “What about me?” he asked.
 
“We were just talking about how crabby you are,” said Rockman.
 
Netto crossed his arms, “I am not,” he said.
 
Maki laughed and catapulted herself from Netto's bed on to Netto's back, latching herself on for a piggy back ride. “Yes you are,” she said.
 
Netto was almost knocked down from the force behind the jump and it took most of his self control to just stat breathing properly again. “Whatever,” he breathed and carried his cousin downstairs to the kitchen.
 
“Netto-chan, are we going to the big building again today?” Maki asked.
 
Netto shook his head and said, “Nope, it's just you and me today. Rockman called me off from duty, right Rockman?” Netto called out.
 
Rockman appeared in the kitchen monitor and gave Netto a thumbs up, “All done Netto-kun.”
 
“See?” Netto said to Maki, “So what do you want to do?” he asked.
 
Maki put a finger on her lips and adopted a thoughtful look on her face. “I want tooooo… make pancakes!” she said brightly.
 
Rockman could immediately sense the impending doom. “Maki-chan, that might not be the best idea,” he said.
 
Maki crossed her arms, “But I want to make pancakes!” she said sticking out her lower lip.
 
“Well, I just meant that it might be a bit messy…” Rockman started.
 
Netto cut him off, “Ah, its okay Maki-chan, we'll make pancakes.”
 
Maki threw her arms into the air in celebration. “Yay!” she said.
 
/Netto-kun, this is just begging for disaster,/ Rockman said.
 
/You worry too much, what could go wrong?/ Netto asked.
 
/Many, many, many things,/ Rockman groaned.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
WWW, Enzan and Laika sat around a long wooden table with Mejin at the head. Mejin looked at his watch for the third time in the past ten seconds. “Where is he?” he asked.
 
“Sleeping?” Enzan offered.
 
“Most likely,” Laika said.
 
Madoi laughed, “Good to know some things never change.”
 
“Well can't you just call them?” asked Blues.
 
“Rockman's not in his PET, I tried earlier,” Mejin replied.
 
“That's unusual, Rockman's always in his PET,” said Enzan.
 
“Do you think something could have happened?” asked Fireman.
 
That question hung heavily in the air for a few minutes while everyone thought it over. “Should we go check?” asked Elecman.
 
“Well if something really did happen, and I'm not saying it did,” said Mejin, “I could be a trap.”
 
Enzan grabbed his PET from its port in the conference table, “I don't care, if he's in trouble we need to help him, and if he's not then he will be.”