MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Never Ending Summer ❯ Secrets ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 
Mejin and Laika rang the doorbell of Netto's house three times before they were admitted by Haruka. She looked surprised at their entrance. “Well, Enzan-kun and, umm…” she didn't recognize the blue haired one.
 
Laika gave a polite bow. “I'm Laika, ma'am.” He said.
 
Haruka smiled. “Ah, Laika-kun then. I take it you're looking for Netto?” she asked.
 
Enzan nodded. “Netto was supposed to show up at Net Saviors HQ 45 minutes ago.”
 
Haruka nodded and ushered them into the house. “Of course! Netto is upstairs; he's still asleep as you've probably guessed.”
 
Enzan and Laika removed their shoes and went upstairs.
 
Sakura looked at them. “They're all so young!” she exclaimed once they were out of ear shot.
 
Haruka looked concerned. “I know, and Netto is the youngest.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Enzan knocked on Netto's door. “Netto are you awake?” he asked
 
They waited for about a minute before actually opening the door. Inside, they saw Maki curled up, with her back facing Netto's chest. Netto had loosely put his arms around her so as to make sure she wouldn't fall off the bed at night. They were both sound asleep as was Rockman, who was still in the PC.
 
Enzan really didn't want to wake them up and neither did Laika. However, Netto did know better then to sleep in when he was told to be somewhere at a certain time. Enzan walked over quietly and shook Netto on the shoulder. “Hey, Netto wake up.”
 
Netto groaned and turned over, jarring Maki and making her eyes flutter.
 
The shake didn't wake up Netto but it did wake up Rockman. “Enzan-san?” he asked sleepily.
 
Enzan turned around to see Rockman rubbing his eyes and yawning. “Rockman, why didn't you wake Netto up?”
 
“Nn? I thought it was 7:45…” he said
 
Enzan looked at him strangely. “Rockman, your data is off by an hour.” He said
 
Rockman looked at him, alarmed. “What?! I can't believe it!”
 
Maki sat up yawning. “Are you Netto-chan's friends?” she interrupted.
 
Everyone turned around to look at her. Rockman answered first. “Y-yes, Maki-chan, this is Enzan-san, you met him yesterday, and Laika-san.” He said pointing to Laika. “Their navi's are Blues and Searchman.”
 
Maki grinned. “Good morning!”
 
Laika and Enzan looked at her like she was an alien. "Ummm, hi." said Enzan.

Maki turned around and pounced on Netto, waking him up in a rather rude manner. "Netto-chan, your friends are here!" she said.

Netto mumbled sleepily. "Maki-chan, get off... too early..."

"No, it's not. Netto, you were supposed to be at HQ an hour ago." said Laika

Netto sat up quickly. "WHAT?" He looked at his clock. "Geez, Rockman. What happened?"

Rockman looked sheepish. "Sorry Netto-kun. I guess I wasn't paying attention."

Netto sighed and got out of bed. "Never mind that, Maki-chan, you go get dressed, okay?"

"Yeup!" she ran out of the room to where her clothes were.

Netto turned to face Enzan and Laika. "I'm sorry, I didn't realize that it was so late." he said, laughing a little.

Enzan sighed. "Just get dressed, Netto."

Netto grabbed his own clothes and went into the bathroom. Today was going to be a long day.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/
 
Maki was being given a piggy back ride as they walked towards Net Saviors HQ. She bounced along happily as she Netto, Laika and Enzan walked on the long street. “So, she's your cousin?” Laika asked.
 
Netto nodded. “Yeah, every year, save last year, she and Aunt Sakura have visited our house for about a month.”
 
“I see,” said Laika. “So, I heard you and Neo WWW had a bit of a run in.”
 
Netto blushed, “I really don't want to talk about it,” he said.
 
“Netto, you know you're going to have to fill out a report on it anyways,” said Enzan. “It's not like it will stay a secret forever.”
 
Maki giggled. “It was so cool! Did you know that Netto-chan can transform into a navi?”
 
There was an awkward silence for about a minute. Then Blues spoke up. “Actually, Maki-san, yes we did. All of us can do that.”
 
Maki's eyes widened. “Really?” she gasped.
 
Rockman giggled. “Yes, Maki-chan. That's why we're all Net Saviors.”
 
Maki hugged Netto around his neck in her excitement. “That is so cool!” she squealed.
 
“Maki, you're cutting of my air again…” said Netto in a strained voice.
 
She loosened up but didn't say anything.
 
Laika looked at Netto. “By the way, Mejin-san said something about data on you and Rockman being stolen. He said it could jeopardize your lives, but when we asked him about it, he said to talk to you two.”
 
Netto turned red. “I, well, we actually,” Netto stuttered. “It's complicated,” he said finally.
 
“Care to indulge us?” asked Enzan.
 
Netto shook his head, “Ask Rockman. It's not my place to explain anything.”
 
“Well Rockman?” asked Searchman.
 
Rockman shook his head. “I'm sorry, but only if I have to.”
 
Laika and Enzan exchanged looks. “Why all the secrecy Netto?” asked Laika.
 
Netto avoided his gaze. “None of your business,” he muttered.
 
Laika and Enzan both decided to stop pursuing the matter, maybe they would lighten up when they were out of earshot of his hyperactive cousin.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto, Laika and Enzan walked up to Mejin's office at the very top of the building. Maki still was hitching a ride on Netto's back and the ascent up the stairs was less then enjoyable.
 
/Having fun, Netto-kun?/ Rockman asked.
 
Netto continued to walk up the stairs, trying not to gasp for air, he did have his pride after all. /Yeah, I'm just peachy./ he said sarcastically.
 
/You don't need to get touchy,/ said Rockman.
 
/Sorry, but I'm not in the best of moods right now. Any idea why your internal clock was messed up?/ Netto asked.
 
/No, all I know was that it was pushed an hour backwards. Do you think that the people who stole the Saito Files cracked them already?/ Rockman asked.
 
Netto shivered involuntarily, Laika and Enzan saw but didn't say anything. /Don't even say that, that would mean they had control over us, something I do not want to happen./
 
/Netto-kun, do you know that you're the master of understatements?/
 
Netto laughed mentally. /Yeah, but hopefully it was just a fluke./
 
/I hope so…/ but Rockman sounded very unsure.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
They walked into Mejin's office unannounced, not that it mattered because Mejin really didn't care one way or another. Netto let his arms fall and Maki slid from his back, landing on the floor very cat like. Mejin cleared his throat to get everyone's attention.
 
“As you all know, some very important documents were stolen yesterday,” he said.
 
Netto resisted the urge to roll his eyes. /Well duh!/ he thought.
 
/Netto-kun, be nice./ reprimanded Rockman.
 
“So, I wish for you three to be careful as you look up information, I want to trails and nothing being traced back here. Can you handle that?” asked Mejin.
 
They nodded and Maki quivered with excitement, but she didn't say anything.
 
“Okay, good luck.”
 
They walked out of his office to a room filled with computers. Netto sat in the one farthest from the door and Enzan and Laika sat on either side of him. Maki took advantage of the seating and jumped in Netto's lap before he could protest.
 
“So, what are you gonna do?” she asked in an excited whisper.
 
“Sit here and stare at a computer screen for the next five to ten hours,” said Netto, his voice dripping with sarcasm.
 
Enzan actually smiled at Netto's joke. “It's not that bad,” he said.
 
Netto sighed and plugged Rockman into the net. “Yes it is; ten to one we won't find anything and we're really here so Mejin can keep and eye on us until the new Net Mafia can contact us.”
 
Laika shrugged. “Not much we can do about it. So, how about we just try to get some information.”
 
Netto sighed and nodded. “Yeah, that's pretty much all we can do.” He placed his hands on the keys of the keyboard and started to type, sending Rockman information on where to go in the net.
 
Rockman nodded and disappeared from the computer. “Where did Rockman go?” asked Maki.
 
“He went to go try and find where the bad guys are,” said Netto.
 
“Oh,” said Maki. “Good luck!” she yelled at the computer.
 
Not even Laika could keep himself from smiling at that.
 
Rockman, Blues and Searchman looked high and low for any clues that would help them. But they found nothing that the net team before them hadn't already and if they wanted a low profile the Undernet was out of the question. So, just as Netto had said, it was a ploy to keep them out of trouble until they were contacted.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Maki curled up in Netto's lap and actually fell asleep, during the day. Something Netto had previously thought impossible. As their navi's combed the internet, Laika, Enzan and Netto really couldn't do anything but wait. So the other two decided to make their friend tell them just what exactly was going on.
 
“Come on Netto, if the files were important enough to steal then why won't you tell us?” asked Enzan.
 
“Because, I really don't want to and it's more Rockman's place, not mine.”
 
“Netto, it's not fair for you to keep something from us,” said Laika.
 
Netto glared at both of them as best as he could. “Listen, if you really want to know then ask Rockman. I won't say anything else.”
 
Maki groaned and stirred in Netto's lap and he quieted down. “Now, please don't wake her up, I like not having to tell her to stop moving every three seconds.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Inside the internet Blues and Searchman were trying just as hard to make their friend tell his secret.
 
“Rockman, don't you think we should know what's going on?” asked Blues.
 
Rockman shook his head. “I really don't want to tell unless I have to. It's just not something I really want to share.”
 
Searchman was hurt even though he didn't say as much. “Rockman, don't you trust us?”
 
Rockman felt guilty, but he held firm. “Of course I do, it has nothing to do with trust, it has to do with the fact that I don't want to be treated differently.”
 
“Why would we…” Blues started.
 
“Oh, look, there's some junk data, maybe it was part of the security program!” said Rockman, pointing in a random direction then following his direction.
 
“He really doesn't want to say anything does he?” asked Searchman.
 
Blues shook his head. “I guess not.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
After searching for hours, Rockman suggested that the humans should go to get something to eat and the navi's should to continue their search. Everyone agreed with the plan and Netto, Laika, Enzan and Maki went to the ice cream stand.
 
Netto fulfilled his promise to Maki and got her a large vanilla ice cream cone, while he got himself a small strawberry waffle cone. Enzan got a chocolate milkshake and Laika got a fruit parfait. They sat around the table eating their treats and stretching their cramped legs under the spacious seats.
 
“Wow, I can't believe its four already,” said Netto.
 
Laika took a spoonful of his ice cream and said “I can.”
 
Enzan nodded, “Me too, though I kind of wish we would have found something already.”
 
Netto shrugged, “Well, in the grand tradition of the bad guy's need to gloat I don't think he have long to wait for them to reveal themselves.”
 
Laika have a small laugh with no humor in it, “Very true, Netto.”
 
Maki looked confused, “What do you mean?” she asked.
 
Netto smiled and took another lick of his cone. “I'll explain it later.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Rockman, Searchman and Blues were slowly working their ways outward to the very edge of the Net Saviors webpage, in hopes of finding something, anything that could help them.
 
Just when Rockman was about to give up and go back to the PC to wait for Netto-kun a navi appeared in front of him, and smiled. “Hello, Saito Hikari,” she said in a smooth voice.
 
Rockman jumped, “Who are you!” he yelled bringing up his Rock Buster.
 
The navi smiled, “Now now, no need to get hostile young one.”
 
Rockman looked at her warily and saw that she was dressed in black armor and her hair was tied in a high ponytail sticking out of a helmet that covered her head. She wore a skirt of pointed black armor and black leggings with ankle high boots. She saw Rockman scan her and took a little bow. “My name is Obsidian.EXE. Nice to meet you little hybrid,” she winked.
 
“I'm not a hybrid, I'm a navi, now what do you want?” asked Rockman.
 
Obsidian chuckled, “Oh, everything. But that's a different story, Saito.”
 
“How do you know?” he asked, “Are you from the net mafia that stole the blueprints?”
 
“Oh, such a clever little boy!” she said in a fake voice. “Yes, I am, and I must say you and your brother are a lot more intriguing then those old blueprints.”
 
“What do you want with us?” Rockman asked, not bringing down his buster.
 
“I'm afraid I can't answer that question, by the way cutie, happen to know what time it is?” she asked.
 
Rockman started to shake slightly, “So that was you,” he whispered.
 
“Cute little prank wasn't it? Glad to know it worked, I wonder how much we can do now that we know our little program is successful?” she smiled cruelly.
 
“Wh-what are you trying to do?” Rockman yelled, he was now visibly shaking, he knew that he and Netto were in great danger.
 
Obsidian disappeared and reappeared behind Rockman. “You'll see very soon,” she whispered in his ear before disappearing for good.
 
Rockman let go of his buster and let his arm slowly reform as he sunk to the ground. “I can't believe it,” he said.
 
Searchman and Blues came out of the shadows to help their friend. They supported Rockman as he had his silent breakdown and when he finally seemed to gain a little grip on reality Blues asked, “So what was that about, Rockman?”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/
 
Netto threw away the napkin that his cone was in when Rockman's fear twisted in his stomach. He knew something was wrong but the distance for him to connect directly with his twin's thoughts was too great. Slowly the feeling in his stomach increased until he was barely able to stand up.
 
Laika and Enzan saw Netto grab onto the fence and sink to the ground clutching his stomach. “Netto!” they both yelled and ran to their friend.
 
Maki was there first and she looked at him with a worried look on her face, “What's wrong Netto-chan?”
 
Netto grimaced as his pain gave another twist of fear and the ice-cream that was inside churned uncomfortably. “I don't know,” he said.
 
Laika and Enzan helped him up and Netto made a dash for the bathroom that was on the side of the ice-cream stand. He ran inside and the next attack forced him to empty the contents of his stomach. He sat gasping over the toilet and tried to contact his twin.
 
/Rockman, what's wrong?/ he called out, but he heard nothing.
 
“Netto, are you okay?” asked Laika.
 
Netto blinked and stood up, flushing the toilet. “Y-yeah, I think so.” He came out and washed his hands.
 
Laika handed him a cup of water which Netto took gratefully. “Thanks,” he said hoarsely.
 
“What happened?” asked Laika.
 
Netto shook his head. “I have no idea, is Maki…”
 
“She's outside with Enzan,” said Laika.
 
Just then a mental attack came on Netto. /Netto-kun!/ Rockman's voice was loud and clear, almost making Netto grimace.
 
/Rockman, what happened? You had some kind of panic attack or something./
 
/Netto-kun, the net mafia that stole those blueprints yesterday, they cracked the Saito Files and they can control me. They were the ones who changed my internal clock this morning!/
 
Netto's eyes widened and Laika looked at him strangely but Netto ignored him. /Are you sure? Who was it?/
 
/Of course I'm sure, and she said her name was Obsidian. Netto-kun, Blues and Searchman heard everything, you need to get back here./ he said, sounding a little more rational.
 
/Okay, we'll be there in a few minutes,/ Netto replied.
 
Laika waved a hand in front of Netto's face. “Are you okay?” he asked.
 
Netto blinked and looked at him. “Yeah, I'm fine, but we need to get back to Net Saviors HQ, after I drop Maki-chan back at home.”