MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Never Ending Summer ❯ Enzan and Laika ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Videoman looked down on them with scorn. “Well, looks like you got free. You think you're so smart, brat!” as he yelled the last word, he flew forward with his tape flying towards them. Netto picked up Maki and jumped smoothly out of the way. He landed a few feet to the right and the tape flew forward and smashed into the wall leaving a small crater. Netto set Maki down on the floor and Videoman wound the tape back into his arms.
 
“Well well well, having a tough time? Gonna run away?” he asked, pushing the button he knew was there.
 
Netto clenched his fist and it shook, but he did not give into the heartless gibe. Instead he summoned a mini bomb to his hand.
 
“Oh? Are you gonna throw that at me?” Videoman asked with fake surprise. “Remember what happened last time kid?”
 
Netto threw it anyways and as Videoman went to bounce it back he shot it with his buster making it explode in Videoman's face. Then before the smoke cleared, he picked up Maki-chan and ran.
 
Videoman coughed and waved his hand to clear the smoke. “Think that was enough to take me out kid?” he called, but he saw that no one was there. “Heh, looks like he got scared.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto ran down the halls with Maki in his arms. Maki looked up at him with an almost horrified expression on her face. Netto looked down at her and saw that she was scared, so he retracted his face mask back and smiled. “It's okay. It's just me.” He said as soothingly as he could. Maki didn't say anything in return.
 
Netto turned the corner to find a small welcoming committee for him. Videoman and Desertman both stood there blocking the hallway that led out of the building. “Lookie at who showed up.” Said Suyanama
 
Netto stopped dead in his tracks and glared at them. “What do you want?”
 
“We want the blueprints!” said Narcy
 
“I told you, there are no blueprints! You guys were tricked.” Yelled Netto, he was really starting to loose his patience.
 
“Kid, I will say this only once, tell us where the blueprints are or we will take this place down.”
 
Netto sniffed. “I'd like to see you try.”
 
Videoman launched himself at Netto and Netto quickly sidestepped. He brought up his elbow and slammed it down onto Videoman's back making his loose balance. In the hesitation Netto jumped out of the way and landed with his back to a corner.
 
“Heh, worked yourself into a trap, huh kid?” asked Suyanama
 
“I wonder about that?” retorted Netto. He set Maki down behind him and took a defensive stance. It then became apparent that he was trying to protect his cousin, and landed in the corner on purpose.
 
Videoman screeched and flew at Netto with his tape, which Netto brought up a barrier to parry. Desertman then sent a sand lion at him, but Netto used a charged shot to make it collapse.
 
“You can't do that forever kid, sooner or later you're gonna run out of steam!” said Desertman
 
Netto summoned his face guard and a water tower battle chip. “Don't, mess, with, me!” he yelled slamming his hand onto the ground. Where his palm touched the cement a giant column of water shot up and doused the two navis. Desertman's body shifted to absorb the water, but he winced at the feeling none the less.
 
“Bubble shot!” Netto yelled out. A jet of water flew out in an unbelievable force and slammed into Desertman's body, once again the sand shifted to absorb the damage.
 
Videoman was getting fed up. “Hey, there are two of us you know!” he yelled and sent a giant roll of tape at Netto. Netto braced and took the blow, knowing that if he jumped Maki would have gotten hit. He collapsed onto one knee and panted when the attack disappeared.
 
Videoman laughed. “Come on kid, fight us seriously.”
 
Netto's eyes blazed, he quickly assed the situation desperately looking for anything that might give him an advantage. He looked above them and saw a sprinkler system.
 
/Hey Rockman, think we could set that thing off? Is it still online?/ he asked
 
/Yes, but be careful, you don't want to really set this place on fire./
 
Netto nodded. /Yeah I know, but we have to finish this./
 
/Then go for it./ said Rockman
 
Netto didn't need telling twice. He raised his hand in the air again. Videoman laughed “Kid, you've tried that already, it didn't work.”
 
“Fire tower!” he yelled. This time, when his palm me the ground a spark jumped from his hand to the floor creating a huge flame that reached to the ceiling. Just as Netto had predicted the sprinkler system was set off and the water came down in torrents. Videoman and Desertman were drenched.
 
Maki stood there; clutching Netto's leg and watching the events unfold before her. To her it was like watching the best sci fi movie ever, only it was real, and Netto was the hero.
 
Netto raised his hand again. “Thunder!” he called out, a lightning bolt zapped both Videoman and Desertman before they had time to react, but Netto wasn't finished yet. “Blizzard!” he called. A small ghost looking virus appeared next to him and blew out a steady stream of snow; the two navi's were frozen in two blocks of ice before they could even blink.
 
They logged out and Netto turned to face Narcy and Suyanama. “Well?” he asked only they weren't there anymore. They had long since run away, making Netto scowl. “Cowards.”
 
The dimensional area disappeared and the crossfusion disappeared from his body to turn back into Rockman's PET which Netto caught with relief.
 
“You okay?” he asked
 
“I'm fine, but you and Maki are going to get sick if you stay in here much longer.” Said Rockman
 
Netto looked up to see the sprinklers still going in his face. He sighed and looked at Maki who was shivering, due to the cold. He hadn't thought out this part of the plan.
 
“Well.” He said bending down to pick Maki up. “It could have been worse.”
 
Just then a team of firefighters burst in and started to spray everything with their fire hose.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto and Maki both sat shivering in blankets outside of the warehouse. “Well this is just great.” Netto said
 
Maki continued to shiver and Netto looked down at her with pity. He sighed “Here.” He said and unwrapped her from her blanket, then he pulled her into his lap and wrapped both of the blankets around them tightly. “Better?” he asked
 
Maki leaned against him gratefully and nodded.
 
“Well kid. You are who you say you are.” Said the fire chief handing Netto back his PET. “I had no idea that the Net Saviors hired kids.” He laughed
 
Netto bristled. “I'm not a kid!” he said
 
The fire chief laughed. “Right, I'm sorry. So, you set off the sprinkler system?” he asked
 
Netto blushed. “Yeah, it was the only way to get rid of Neo WWW.”
 
The fire chief let out a whistle. “Wow, Neo WWW, just a kid and so high ranking too.”
 
Netto looked irked again. “I said, I'm not a kid!”
 
Before the fire chief could reply Mejin pulled up in his blue car. He got out and jogged over to where Netto and the fire chief were currently arguing. “Are you two okay?” he asked Netto and Maki
 
“Yeup!” Netto said, Maki nodded and tried to shrink into Netto's arms. The guy in the lab coat was kind of scary.
 
Mejin smiled. “Good, now let's go. Enzan just came in, and you need to give your report.”
 
“Wha? I thought you said this was a random mission.” Said Netto. He really just wanted to go home and take a long relaxing bath.
 
Mejin shook his head. “Nope, this was planned. And not by Neo WWW either.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto and Enzan sat at the end of a long conference table and Mejin sat across from them. Maki was still curled up in her blanket and currently napping in Netto's arms. Enzan raised an eyebrow when he saw her but didn't ask any questions.
 
“Okay, I just got of the phone with Sharro. Laika is coming too.” Said Mejin
 
Netto coughed. “Laika? How big is this?”
 
“Bigger then you think. There seems to be a new net mafia out there and it's not Neo WWW.”
 
“So, what happened?” asked Enzan
 
Mejin sighed. “They stole the blueprints to Sci Labs and Net Saviors HQ.”
 
Netto jumped and Maki groaned in her sleep. “What?” he said
 
“While you two were out, the security vaults they were in were hacked and they were stolen. Both of them.”
 
Enzan looked extremely unhappy. “So, what now?”
 
Mejin shrugged. “I don't know, we can't do anything until they contact us, we have no idea who these people are.”
 
“Then why tell us?” asked Netto
 
“Because, they also stole information on you two. About your abilities to crossfuse and some…” Mejin searched for the right word and looked at Netto. “Personal stuff as well.”
 
Netto blanched. “They have their hands on the Saito Files?” Rockman asked in a horrified whisper.
 
Enzan looked puzzled.
 
“For now yes, but don't worry, there is so much encoding in that thing they probably won't be able to break it for a few days and hopefully we can retrieve it in that time.”
 
Netto looked less then happy but nodded all the same. “Okay, so we wait. When's Laika gonna get here?” he asked
 
“Hopefully in a few hours. Care to hang around until then?” asked Mejin
 
Netto shook his head. “Can't I gotta get her home. She's wet and hungry, not to mention it mama and aunt Sakura see us like this they'll flip.”
 
Enzan looked at the girl in Netto's arms. “Who is she anyway?” he asked
 
“She's my cousin, Maki-chan.” He said
 
Just then Maki-chan stirred and woke up. She looked at Netto sleepily. “Hey, is the game over?” she asked
 
Netto blinked. “Game?”
 
/Netto-kun! The game you started before you went into the warehouse, the one to keep her quiet!/ Rockman said
 
“O-oh! That game. Uhhh, yeah.” He said smiling
 
Enzan and Mejin exchanged puzzled glances.
 
Maki looked down. “Did I win?” she asked. Netto blinked. “I mean, I talked, and I'm sorry, but I didn't mean to I tried! Really I did and…” Netto put his finger on her lips.
 
* Suyanama couldn't hear the inner monologue of the twins but he knew a chance when he saw one. He nodded and all too soon Netto found himself trapped in the giant fist of Desertman.

“Netto-chan!” Maki screamed. She started to thrash in her captor's grip, only to be held even tighter.*
 
“That didn't count.” Netto said giving her a wink. “Since the bad guys cheated, it didn't count against you.”
 
Maki's eyes widened. “They cheated?” she gasped
 
Netto nodded. “Yeup, and you didn't so you automatically win.”
 
Maki giggled and threw her arms around Netto. “Yay! So what did I win?”
 
“Well stop at the ice cream store tomorrow.” Said Netto
 
Maki looked up at him with big eyes. “Promise?” she asked holding out her pinky.
 
Netto took hit and gave it a firm shake. “I promise. But now we need to go home before mama and aunt Sakura panic.”
 
“Okay!” Maki said. She jumped off Netto's lap and ran out the door.
 
Netto sighed and got up. “Netto-kun.” Said Mejin. Netto turned around to look at who called him. “I expect you here at 8 A.M. tomorrow.”
 
Netto sighed. “Yeah, I know. Maki might be with me though.”
 
“It's okay. The next few days will be desk work anyway.”
 
Netto winced. “Joy.” He said sarcastically. Then he left the room to chase after Maki.
 
Enzan blinked. “Who knew he was so good with kids.”
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Netto opened the front door and helped a sleepy looking Maki inside. “We're home.” He called out dully.
 
Aunt Sakura and Haruka rushed in looking frantic. “Where were you!? We looked in the park and called…” Haruka looked at Netto and Maki. “What happened?” she asked
 
Netto shook his head. “Please, don't ask. We're fine and everything is okay.”
 
Aunt Sakura bent down to Maki's level and put her hand on her daughter's shoulder. “Are you all right?” she asked.
 
Maki nodded, her pig tails bouncing. “Yeah! Hey mommy, did you know that Netto-chan is a super hero?”
 
Netto coughed and Rockman giggled. Aunt Sakura gave her nephew an odd look. “Is this true?” she asked raising an eyebrow.
 
Netto started to blush and tried to sneak away but his mom grabbed his arm and shook her head.
 
“Yeah! He transformed into a navi and fought bad guys! It was so cool! First they caught him, but I helped to save him and…”
 
Haruka blanched. “What?” she said horrified.
 
“Ah heh, mama, its okay. Nothing happened, we're all fine,” said Netto trying to calm his mother down.
 
“Transform?” asked Aunt Sakura.
 
Netto groaned. “And then…” Netto placed a hand over Maki's mouth.
 
“Maki-chan, maybe you shouldn't tell them about today. Why don't you go get ready for bed.” He suggested.
 
“Okay!” she said happily and skipped out of the room.
 
Netto turned around to his less then happy mom and aunt. “Yeah, about today…” he started.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
After Netto and Maki had cleaned up and Maki was in bed, Netto told the entire story of what exactly had happened. By the end, Haruka was holding Netto like she would never let go and Aunt Sakura was in shock.
 
“How long have you been doing this?” she asked.
 
“For close to a year. We've been kinda busy and we were hoping for a little more down time, but it seems that a new net mafia has shown up.” Said Netto. “I'm sorry if this ruins any plans you have.” He said
 
His aunt shook her head. “No, I'm just glad you're both all right. Though, maybe we'll take Maki tomorrow.” She said.
 
Netto nodded. “Yeah, that'd be a good idea.”
 
Maki, who had been listening the whole time from the entryway, came out into the light. “No!” she yelled.
 
Everyone looked at her startled. Her mother was the first one to reply. “Young lady, you should be in bed…” she started.
 
“No! I want to stay with Netto-chan. We came here to visit them and I want to play with him.” She folded her arms across her chest.
 
Sakura shook her head. “Honey, it's dangerous! You could get hurt!” she said.
 
“I wanna be with Netto-chan…” Maki said, her eyes filling with tears.
 
Netto sighed. “Aunt Sakura, the next few days will be desk work and trying to find out who the new people are. Maki-chan can come with me, and when the field work starts up I'll leave her at home.” He said
 
“Yippie!” said Maki
 
Sakura thought it over. “All right.” She said. “But I want Maki to call me every two hours, okay?”
 
Maki nodded. “Fair enough.” Said Rockman
 
“Now go to bed.” Said Sakura
 
“But mommy…” she said
 
“Not another word young lady. It's past your bed time and you've had a big day. Go to bed.”
 
Maki sighed and dragged herself upstairs.
 
“I'm going to bed too.” Said Netto
 
Haruka kissed her son on the cheek. “Good night you two, sweet dreams.”
 
Netto blushed. “Night mama.”
 
Netto went upstairs and closed the door to his bed room.
 
“How do you handle this every day.” Said Sakura
 
“I don't. I just hide it very well.” said Haruka.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Maki woke up at 2:34 shivering, but not due to the cold. In fact it was well over 70 degrees, but for some reason she couldn't shake the feeling that Netto was going to leave her behind. Never mind that it was 2:30 in the morning, she wanted to make sure Netto was still there.
 
Maki slid out of bed and walked down the hallway to Netto's bedroom, being careful of the squeaky floorboard she knew was there. She crept up to her cousin's bed room door and opened it carefully. It squeaked as it opened and a soft beam of light hit Netto's face. He winced and turned over muttering something about curry. She crept into the room and shook Netto.
 
“Netto-chan.” She whispered
 
Netto grumbled and stirred but didn't wake up.
 
“Netto-chan?” she asked in a normal tone of voice.
 
Netto growled and pulled his covers over his head. “What do you want, Maki-chan?” he asked hoarsely.
 
“Netto-chan, are you going to leave me alone tomorrow?” she asked
 
“Wh-wha? Of course not, well go see Mr. Happy and Mr. Peppy tomorrow.” He said sarcastically.
 
Maki-chan had no idea what he was talking about. “Netto-chan?” she asked again.
 
Netto sat up looking a little cross. “Look, Maki, I won't leave you tomorrow, but it's like 2 in the morning! Can't you go back to bed?”
 
Maki shook her head. “I can't sleep.” She said softly.
 
Netto sighed and made a face. “Then go ask your mom if you can sleep with her.” He said getting ready to go back to sleep.
 
“Mommy might get worried that I'm awake. I don't want to scare her…” said Maki
 
Netto sighed, “So, you want to sleep with me then?” he asked.
 
Maki looked up. “Really?” she asked.
 
Netto gave a half smile and lifted his covers to let her in. “Sure, just this once, and go to sleep.” He added, while tucking her in.
 
Maki nodded happily and soon they were both asleep.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/
 
Mejin looked at his watch. “Its 8:30, where is he?” he asked.
 
Enzan shrugged. “Mejin-san, you can't expect Netto to be on time.” He said
 
Laika sighed; sometimes Netto could be a real flake. “Maybe he just slept in.” he added.
 
“Then go wake him up. We need to start this.” Said Mejin.
 
“Wait, us? Why don't you just call him?” asked Enzan
 
“I tried, but Rockman won't pick up. Apparently its sleep for everyone today.”
 
Enzan looked doubtful. “Well it is his vacation, after all.”
 
Mejin rubbed his eyes. “I know, but I'm under a lot of pressure from the higher ups to get back those blueprints. Not to mention, the personal data, if cracked could put Netto and Rockman's lives in jeopardy.”
 
Enzan and Laika exchanged glances. “What is that supposed to mean?” asked Blues from his PET.
 
Mejin shook his head. “You boys will have to ask Netto and Rockman about that. For the time being will you please get them up?” he asked.
 
Enzan and Laika saluted Mejin and walked out the door. Mejin sweatdropped as they left. They could be freakishly mature for their actual ages.