MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman) Fan Fiction ❯ Never Ending Summer ❯ Navi ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Netto looked at Videoman, Narcy, Suyanama and Desertman and froze in fear. A million thoughts rushed in his head. He dimly realized that a few of the thoughts were Rockman's, but that really wasn't important at the time. One thought managed to match up between the two after a minute of staring, both happened to think “run.”

Maki held onto Netto's hand tightly, desperately trying to grasp what was going on. What she saw were two people that were obviously navi's, a man in a cowboy hat who was obviously human and a third man in a frilly shirt who could go either way. The main thought in her head was, “why are there navi's in the real world?” Then she felt Netto pick her up and start to run in between the sand navi and the cowboy hat guy.

For the most part Netto managed to take them by surprise. Though he strongly suspected the reason he got through was because they didn't expect a five year old girl to be with him. All the same he got through and ran into the hallway as fast as he could. He carried Maki under his arm and pulled out his PET. “Rockman, call Mejin.”

Rockman rang into Mejin's computer at sci-labs. “Come on, Mejin-san, pick up.” Netto quietly begged with the device as he ran.

“Netto-kun, I don't think he's there.” Said Rockman

“Why not? He's the one that sent me on this stupid mission in the first place! He said there wouldn't be Neo WWW operatives here.” Netto hissed into the PET as he found a small storage hallway adjacent to the main building.

“Well, he probably thought he was right. I don't think he has any idea what's going on, my guess is that he thinks we're home.” While Rockman was giving his explanation Netto looked around the hallway and found a small, empty storage room. Netto quickly opened the door and ran inside. As soon as he shut the door Narcy came down the hallway they were just in. Netto held his breath as Narcy walked down the hall and he prayed that he wouldn't open any of the doors.

Narcy slowly walked by and glanced inside. Maki gave a soft whimper and buried her face into Netto's chest. Netto pressed up against the wall and tried to be as still as he could. Narcy passed on and continued to walk down the small hall, and then he passed back into the main storage unit.

Netto let out his breath in a great whoosh and he felt Rockman relax through the link. He was glad that wasn't Videoman or Desertman because they most likely would have found him in a second, even if hiding from Narcy was a bit degrading. Maki looked up at Netto, Netto looked down at her and saw that she was on the verge of tears. It didn't occur to him how frightening that such a thing would be for Maki, lord knows he had done something along the lines of this particular situation himself many times. Netto gave Maki a quick hug to comfort her and she curled up in Netto's arms and seemed to relax.

“Rockman, do you know Mejin-san's home computer link?” asked Netto quickly.

Rockman nodded.

“Well, then let's hope he's home.” Said Netto

~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~

Mejin took the instant ramen out of the microwave. He had a long day and what he needed right then was a nice long, relaxing evening. He walked over to his table and set the steaming bowl of ramen down. As soon as the bowl hit the table his cat came trotting into the kitchen and started to rub against Mejin's legs.

“Go away, Kaini-chan, this is my dinner, yours is over there.” He pointed his fork over too the kitty food and water dish in the corner. “Go eat.”

The cat turned its green orbs to the food and gave Mejin a look that said, “yeah, right.”

Mejin lifted the fork to his mouth still glaring at his cat, and he was matched glare for glare.

After taking a few bites of the ramen his PET started to ring loudly. Mejin groaned and stood up slowly dragging his feet over to the computer. He grumbled about how he never got any free time and how the higher ups expected him to be super human. Mejin pressed the receive button on his computer to let in the video link.

Netto's face came through the link. “Mejin-san, I need a dimensional area.” He said quietly, his voice tight.

Mejin missed the tone and his eye twitched in annoyance. “I don't live at sci-labs you know.”

“Mejin-san, Neo WWW stayed behind for something, we're currently being chased by Videoman, Desertman and their operators, Maki-chan is with us and we currently have no means to fight them.” Said Rockman quickly. Netto could tell he was on the verge of a nervous breakdown, and he could feel Rockman's panic swell through the link.

Mejin on his part knew that they were in trouble and played the part of the sensible, calm adult very well. “Netto, Rockman, I want you two to stay where you are, do not try to escape, understand?”

“Why?” asked Netto

“Because you will probably get caught, now promise me.” Said Mejin as calmly as he could.

The PET com link split into two screens and Mejin saw Netto and Rockman nod solemnly. “Good, now sit tight, it might take awhile to get to sci-labs, because you two decided to get in trouble at rush hour. Can you two promise me that you won't try anything until I send you the dimensional area?”

Netto and Rockman nodded again, but this time with a little more confidence.

Mejin took a deep breath. “Okay, I'll leave right now, when you're done come straight to Net Saviors HQ and tell me everything that happened. I'll meet you there, okay?”

Mejin saw one last nod and then the com link closed. “Good luck” he said. Then he thought. `What am I saying? I have to get there first, good luck to me.' Mejin grabbed his coat and ran out the door hastily locking it and getting into his car.

Mejin's cat jumped on the table and started to finish off Mejin's abandoned and forgotten meal.

~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~

Netto stayed where he was for the most part only moving to make sure no one was going down the hall or otherwise coming to invade their hiding spot.

Maki-chan was miraculously quiet the whole time, something Netto had previously thought impossible. She was more into curling into Netto's arms and shutting her eyes then talking at that moment. Not that Netto was complaining, at least she wasn't getting herself, or anyone else into trouble.

Unbeknownst to Netto, Maki or Rockman sand started to trickle into the room through the air vent and fell into a pool behind a lone set of boxes. Netto continued to hold Maki-chan as she had her silent breakdown. Netto felt extremely guilty about leading her into such danger, but he figured he could yell at himself later, at that point he needed to focus on not getting caught.

Suyanama found Desertman's data signature through his PET and smiled. It seemed that it was going to be easier to catch them then he thought. Whistling an annoyingly cheerful tune, he started to walk towards where the signal indicated.

Desertman had finally managed to get his entire mass through the vent without anyone in the room being the wiser. He left himself in a pool of sand until he got the signal from Suyanama, then he slowly started to shape himself into his original form.

The data shifting signal was finally large enough to alert Rockman that something was off inside the room. “Netto-kun…” he said softly.

Netto nodded and slowly stood up. Hopefully he could pull off his own stealth escape, though he felt like panicking at that point. Maki set her feet on the ground and looked up at Netto for guidance. Netto put a finger to his lips and slowly started to open the door; Desertman finally finished reshaping his body and flew at them in a full fledged attack.

Netto quickly yanked Maki out the door and shut it. He pushed up against the door to make sure it stayed closed; feeling the pressure of the sand navi hit the door with a powerful blast. When he felt that he had held it long enough he reached down to grab Maki, only to find that she wasn't next to him.

Netto looked around frantically, only to see Maki being held up by the straps of her overalls by Suyanama. She looked like she was about to cry and Netto felt like he was about to scream in frustration. Why couldn't anything go right for once?

“Well, well, well, glad to see you could make it to our little party. What happened, did the dimensional converter fail?” asked Maki's captor in a smarmy tone.

“None of your business.” Said Netto through clenched teeth.

“Well, that's no way to talk to an adult, kid. Maybe you should show more respect.” He said, his eyes narrowing.

Netto snorted and crossed his arms, completely oblivious to the sand pooling at his feet…

/Netto-kun, don't make him mad, he has Maki-chan./ said Rockman

/Don't you think I know that? What should I do?/ asked Netto /Just let them capture me?/

/Netto-kun, I hate to say this, but if it means Maki-chan is safe, then yes./

Netto mentally sighed. /I know. I'll never hear the end of this from Enzan when we escape./

Suyanama grinned. “So, kid, will you help us out? Or will your little friend stay with me while you think it over.” If looks could kill Suyanama would have been dead three minutes ago, by this time the whole building would not exist anymore. Suyanama glared back, only he had a grin on his face. He looked entirely too comfortable using a little kid as bait to trap another kid. “Well?” he asked

Netto dropped his gaze. “Whatever.” He said. When Netto glanced down, he saw the now quite large collection of sand at his feet, but instead of jumping out of the way like he knew he could, he just stayed here he was.

/Netto-kun, are you sure?/ asked Rockman

/Duh, mama and Aunt Sakura would kill me if anything happened to Maki-chan, and they are twenty times scarier then Neo WWW could ever be./ said Netto with a hint of a smile

/At least you can still joke, I'll take that as a good sign./ said Rockman

Suyanama couldn't hear the inner monologue of the twins but he knew a chance when he saw one. He nodded and all too soon Netto found himself trapped in the giant fist of Desertman.

“Netto-chan!” Maki screamed. She started to thrash in her captor's grip, only to be held even tighter.

Desertman's grip was very tight making it hard for Netto to breathe; Rockman could feel the pain setting on his chest as if it was him in the clutches of the monster navi. Netto could see Maki-chan thrashing, desperately trying to get free. Netto was afraid that if she kept on squirming then Suyanama might hurt her. Rockman felt the same way, although he could sense that Suyanama was starting to loose his grip, just a little bit.

Maki, who was now in a blind panic, thrashed like only a five year old could; Suyanama found it difficult to keep his current hold on her and tried to shift the way he was holding her. Finding a brace Maki slammed her feet into his stomach making him loose his grip enough for Maki to wrench free.

As soon as Maki was on the ground she looked up to Netto, as if she had some desperate plan to get him free. Netto, not caring if she could free him or not just wanted to make sure someone got out. “Get out of here!” he yelled at her. Yes, it was a bit harsh, but it did the job. Jerking Maki out of her daze she took off down the hall and ran back into the small storage room she and Netto was in before. Suyanama took after her and ran into the room, only to find it completely empty, he growled as he looked around for her means of escape.

Narcy came from behind and placed his hand on Suyanama's shoulder. “It's all right, it's not like she can do anything. We have what we need; now let's finish this and get out of here before a dimensional area comes.”

Suyanama nodded and followed Narcy out of the room. Maki watched them leave from inside the ventilation shaft.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Videoman was outside the hall gloating to the captured human and navi. He took great joy in the fact that this time around he had not been the one who was defeated. Especially because it was Rockman and Rockman's Operator; the two that had defeated him time and time again. Desertman was not quite as bitter as Videoman, only because he had nearly defeated Netto and Rockman in his own right, although the Net team of Enzan and Blues came to save them at the last moment. Even if a good deal of these events occurred when they were Darkloid navis they still remembered and knew the humiliating defeats they had suffered and they were in no mood for mercy. Even so, when they were not in cross fusion they both seemed so…… weak. Without Rockman in the real world Netto was completely vulnerable and without an operator Rockman couldn't do anything anyway.
 
They were just two kids, not the super human being they fought when the dimensional area came up, and they loved it.
 
“So kids, who knew you, would give up so easily? Are you that weak?” Videoman taunted.
 
Unfortunately, the stressed Netto took the bait. “Hey! Your stupid operators used my five year old cousin as bait, that's low even for you!”
 
Desertman squeezed his fist warningly, making Netto give out a cry of discomfort.
 
/Netto-kun, maybe you shouldn't talk./ said Rockman. /They're willing to kill you, it's almost happened before and I can assure it will happen again./
 
/What am I supposed to do? Sit here and…”
/Yes!/ Rockman interrupted /By all means, if it ensures you're safety then it's probably the best plan we've got./
 
/Gee, you sound like you have so much confidence right now./ came the sarcastic reply.
 
/Netto-kun, if we can just bide our time until the Dimensional Area comes then we have a chance, but mouthing them off when you're still in human form is not the best way to improve our chances!/ said Rockman in a low and quick tone. Netto gave no reply to his brother's little speech.
 
Videoman and Desertman were beginning to wonder about the normally mouthy human's sudden silence, but before they could bring it up Suyanama and Narcy came from the from, and to Netto and Rockman's immense relief, Maki-less as well. His relief must have shown on his face because it prompted Suyanama to say “Don't be too happy, kid. Don't forget, it's you we're after.”
 
Netto snorted. “And, just why the hell would you be after me?”
 
/Cool it, Netto-kun./ Rockman warned
 
Rockman's warning proved to be needed because Narcy put his face inches away from Netto's. He gave a very creepy, wide grin and said “Because you can tell us where the blueprints are in this building.”
 
Netto blinked. “Wha…. Blueprints?”
 
“Oh, don't play stupid kid. It's not becoming.” Suyanama cut in. “We know the blueprints to sci-labs and Net Saviors HQ are in this warehouse.”
 
Netto smirked. “Well your information is bad, there are no blueprints here.”
 
Desertman started to tighten his grip again. “Come on kid, we're not joking.” Suyanama said.
 
Rockman's muffled voice came from inside the sand cocoon. “Neither are we! There isn't something that important at this minimum security warehouse.”
 
Netto cut in. “That and, this is a data warehouse. I know for a fact that the only remaining blueprints for Sci-Labs and the HQ are on paper, and locked up in their own buildings.”
 
“Lies!” screeched Narcy “You're just trying to throw us off the trail so we don't get what we're after!”
 
Netto shrugged as best he could. “Believe what you want, I told you the truth.”
 
/Half truth anyway./ came Rockman's, somewhat amused voice.
 
/Like I'd tell then where the real blueprints are./ said Netto
 
Suyanama gave a smile almost as bad as Narcy's. “Well kid, if you don't want to help then you're not much use to us, are you?”
 
Netto eyes widened briefly but he managed to keep his cool. /We're in trouble, huh?/ he said, no humor in the question.
 
/Looks like it, but I don't think they're gonna kill us, not yet./ said Rockman
 
Desertman started to tighten his grip before Netto could give a reply. Only this time he didn't loosen up. Netto saw his vision face at the corners as he fought for air, when he couldn't take any oxygen in, or push back the giant fist he was forced to give up his struggle and he blacked out.
 
When Netto collapsed, Desertman loosened his grip. Suyanama lifted Netto's body out of the giant hand and fished Netto's PET out of its holder. Rockman was panting slightly but Suyanama thought nothing of it and turned off the PET before Rockman could give any protest. Suyanama smiled and put the useless PET back.
 
“Why are we keeping him alive?” Asked Videoman, slightly perturbed.
 
“Because, I know this kid knows more then he's telling us, in case we can't get through something then he might be able to help.” Said Suyanama coolly.
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/
 
Maki crawled through the vents trying to look for a way out. She had to get help for Netto-chan! But the stupid vents went of forever. Every once in awhile a huge hole would come up and the pathway would branch off into four directions around the hole. Whenever Maki cane up to on of those she would backtrack to another branch and continue from there. She love Netto-chan but even she wasn't brave enough to cross over huge, gaping holes. There was only so much she could do after all.
 
Someone up there but have been feeling kindly towards pink clad five year olds, because in an amazing stroke of luck she found the control room, the place she could call for help, and the place that Netto was being held. She looked out of the vent and saw the fire alarm placed on the side of the door. There were also a control panel and servers placed throughout the room. In the center of the room, still unconscious and tied to a chair was Netto. Maki almost burst out of her hiding place but she caught sight of the tall black and green navi before her body acted on its own.
 
She had to help Netto-chan! But what could she do?
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/
Netto came to his senses slowly. At first he though he heard his mom calling his name, but that wasn't right……
 
/Netto-kun…/ there was a pause
 
/Mama?/ Netto asked groggily, he wasn't even aware enough to notice that the question and reply were mentally spoken.
 
/Netto-kun, get a grip. It's me, Rockman, now WAKE UP!/ Rockman `said' as loud as he could, given the circumstances.
 
/Wake…/ The thought finally registered in his brain. “Wha?” he opened his eyes and jerked up, only to find that he was restrained by very tightly tied ropes. He heard a cold chuckle and saw Videoman looking at him. Netto felt a flicker of fear, and then he just felt annoyed. For all he had gone through that day, everything culminated to this one moment and the strongest emotion he had was annoyance.
 
Rockman felt Netto and wondered what exactly was bugging Netto so much.
 
/Gee, I don't know, maybe because I've been captured by Neo WWW on a mission I didn't even want to take in the first place. Maki could be in danger and I'm currently to worst babysitter on the face of this planet./
 
/Netto-kun, Maki-chan is probably fine. We have more of a pressing issue on our hands right now. Maki-chan is smart, she'll get out./
 
/I hope so…/
 
Their mental chat was interrupted by Videoman. “So, Rockman's operator, are you upset? Angry that you got caught so easily?”
 
“I have a name you know.” Said Netto; avoiding the questions. “And it's not `Rockman's Operator' either.”
 
Videoman raised an eyebrow. “Oh, then humor me kid.”
 
Netto snorted. For a twelve year old being held captive he was awfully cool about it. “Please, you know what my name is; you just like to annoy me.”
 
Videoman shrugged. “Well, you've certainly given me many reasons to hate you. Why should I show you sympathy? You've humiliated and deleted me.”
 
Netto smiled without humor. “So?”
 
/Netto-kun! Can you PLEASE think about what you say before you say it!?”
 
Videoman looked very angry, and then his expression took a 180 and he gave a merciless grin. Netto, who was more then a little creeped out dripped his own smile and glared at Videoman instead.
 
/You love to play with fate, don't you Netto-kun./ said Rockman, oh-so-slightly annoyed.
 
/You're not helping!/ said Netto
 
“Well, Netto-kun, the tabled ate turned now,” Videoman put his fingers under Netto's chin and forced Netto to meet his eyes. “and don't you forget it.”
 
Netto matched him glare for glare, not looking away or blinking. The silent glare match lasted for close to a minute before the walkie talkie around Videoman's belt crackled to life. “Videomaaaan~!” Narcy's whiny voice came out of the small black box.
 
Videoman released Netto and picked up the box. “Yes?” he asked, his voice tight from annoyance.
 
“We ran into problems getting into the main computer. Get down here!” he said
 
Videoman sighed. “All right, I'll be there in a minute.” He clicked the small device off and looked down at Netto. “You got lucky this time kid. I suggest you don't mouth me off when I get back.” Videoman walked out the door and right before the door closed Netto stuck his tongue out at Videoman.
 
/Netto-kun, please be more careful!/
 
/Whatever./ Netto glared at the floor.
 
Rockman sighed. /Well, it still could be worse./
 
/Like…/
 
/They could have captured Maki-chan too./
 
/That's true./
 
~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~
 
Maki looked out of the ventilation shaft and watched the black and green man pace the room, talking to Netto, and then finally leaving. Maki was too far away to hear what was being said but she could tell that the navi was very happy about Netto being captured. When he finally left she braced herself against the vent over. It was loose but it didn't move very well. She found it hard to find a brace inside the smooth ventilation shaft, finally she just slammed her back into the cover and it gave way. She gasped, and tried to stop the laws of motion that were taking over her body now that there was nothing supporting her.
 
Netto heard a loud crash behind him, followed by a squeak and a thumping sound. He tried to turn around to see what had happened, but the most he could manage was to turn his head and take a glance out of peripheral vision. He saw Maki on the ground coughing. Her pink overalls were dirty at the knees and her blue shirt had dirt at the elbows, she also had a cobweb crown adorning her hair. Netto's first though that that he would have to clean her before his mom and aunt came home.
 
Then Netto came to his senses. “Maki-chan, are you okay?”
 
Maki finished coughing and rubbed the back of her head. “Yeah, I think so.” She replied.
 
Netto groaned. “Maki-chan, I told you to run away, what are you doing here?” he said harshly.
 
Maki calmly stood up and dusted herself as best she could, then she ran over to the chair that Netto was in. She pulled on the roped tying Netto's hands behind his back, trying to untie them.
 
Netto became annoyed at her blatant ignoring. “Maki-chan, get out of here.” He hissed. “It's dangerous.”
 
Maki kept her mouth shut and kept on pulling.
 
Netto sighed. “Maki-chan it's a bad idea for you to be here, Videoman could return any minute.”
 
Maki didn't answer; she just continued to tug at the roped trying to loosen the knots. Her small fingers were able to loosed the roped considerably finally pulling them loose, but before she could unwind them the doorknob slowly turned.
 
“Run!” Netto whisper-yelled.
 
Maki didn't need telling twice and took a mad dash towards the servers making a leap behind them before the door fully opened. Videoman came back in grinning. “Well kid, there has to be something here, this is an awfully secure please for minimum security.”
 
Netto rolled his eyes. “Whatever, I don't care. Just leave me alone.”
 
“Oh, are you feeling sore? Don't like to loose?” he jeered.
 
“Yes, now go away.” Said Netto
 
“I don't have to do anything, kid. May I remind you of your position here.” Said Videoman, crossing his arms.
 
Netto was starting to get nervous, Videoman could discover Maki-chan at any moment. Then it would be his fault and he would get into more trouble then he was already in, not to mention Maki.
 
“So, it that other kid here? Are you worried I might catch her?” asked Videoman, flashing his green teeth.
 
Netto vainly tried to not let the worry show on his face. “No.” he said a little too quickly.
 
Videoman's grin broadened into a smile. “Well, where is you little friend I wonder?” He walked away from Netto and went towards the servers. Maki saw his coming and tried to shrink back further. Netto quickly unwound the ropes from his wrists and started to pull at the cords around his chest.
 
Maki pushed herself in between two servers in a vain attempt to not be spotted as Videoman came through. Netto finally got free from the chair and quickly started to untie his ankles. Netto saw Videoman get closer and closer to Maki-chan's hiding place, Netto could have sworn he heard a small whimper. When he was finally able to stand up; Videoman too a peek in between two servers. “Hello.” He said to the terrified five year old.
 
Netto frantically prayed for a small miracle, maybe, just maybe…
 
Netto's prayers were answered by a goy in a jersey and lab coat, who finally pressed the big red button. The multi-colored dimensional area formed a dome over the building. Netto looked around at the many hued surface, relief flooding in his chest, then he looked back to his immediate problem.
 
“Leave her alone!” Netto yelled, while he turned back on his PET.
 
Videoman turned around and Maki peaked from her hiding spot.
 
“Well, this is interesting.” Said Videoman, not loosing his cool.
 
Netto took out the syncro chip. “Ready, Rockman?”
 
“Yes!” said Rockman, for all the world sounding like a worried mother.
 
“Cross fusion!” they said simultaneously.
 
Maki saw a blue bubble surround Netto and expand, when the light diminished she saw Netto, or at least she thought it was Netto, standing there. Only, he had a helmet and body suit, and he looked exactly like Rockman except his hair and eyes were the same color. So the only conclusion she could think of was `Netto-chan is a navi?'